Valero Energy

Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.8

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valero Energy.

College recruiting event and met the hiring manager. Show passion about getting the internship. Good GPA a must. Network with the accounting professors (They know a lot of people) What do you know about Valero?

No negotiation. Fixed pay

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy.

Submitted my resume in a career fair, was interviewed by a group of engineers in the refinery.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about 10 questions starting with the phrase: "Tell me about a time when...."   Answer Question

IT Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in January 2013.

Used an head hunter so most of the communication was through them.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Arthur, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Arthur, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valero Energy in November 2012.

Very laid back refinery electrical engineer crew interviewed me. They were friendly and willing to explain what they do. They relied solely on a power system software called ETAP.

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Valero Energy in October 2012.

I spoke with a representative at the career fair and applied via our career center website. Then, I was invited to an on-campus interview.

The interview was very straight forward and low-stress. The interviewer definitely seemed to want to be sure that personality would be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly straightforward behavioral questions. Nothing too bad.   Answer Question

Associate Safety Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

I applied through other source – interviewed at Valero Energy in May 2012.

Phone interview was about 30 minutes long. The interviewers were simply looking for trainability and personality. My college education was good enough for a green light to show intelectual competance. My degree was irrelevant to my position. Phone interview lasted 30 minutes and they didn't ask any scenario questions only for me to tell them about myself. After phone interview an onsite interview was conducted. This interview went through introduction to a handful of people, a tour, and only took a few hours. Interviewers were very straight forward with any answers to questions I had.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Only the interviewer was very blunt on expectations and didn't sugar coat anything. They wanted me to be sure I knew what was going to be required of me.   Answer Question
    None. I liked offer put on table.

Associate Plant Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Dodge, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Dodge, IA

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy in March 2012.

I applied online at Valero's website for an associate plant engineering position and heard back within a week asking to schedule a pre-screening phone interview. We set up a phone interview for the following week during the afternoon. The phone interview went alright, just the basic behavioral questions that you would expect. Some examples are: Can you think of a time when you had to submit a project that you felt was not fully completed to the best of your abilities? Can you think of a time when you had to work with another from a different background? And how did you overcome challenges that this created? Etc. I was not asked any engineering questions, but was asked about my relevant experience. The interview was supposed to last about 20 minutes, but went on for about 50 minutes which was fine with me because I felt comfortable answering the questions. At the end of the interview, I was told I may be contacted in the next 2 weeks to set up an onsite interview if they felt I was a good candidate. I was contacted the following day and set up an onsite interview over spring break so that I could make the trip to the site (out of state).

The onsite interview lasted about 4 hours, I first had an introduction and short list of questions from the engineering manager. This lasted about 45 minutes and I was asked mostly behavioral questions and one or two engineering questions. I was than introduced to two additional members of the plant and they asked a number of behavioral questions. Than the plant engineering manager took me on a plant tour and asked me questions pertaining to the process, luckily I had had an internship in the same field so I was easily able to answer the questions. The plant tour lasted about 50 minutes. The plant tour was followed by another interview with two other plants members that I met on the tour. THis lasted about 20 minutes because I tried to keep my answers short and sweet. This portion was supposed to last an hour, but was cut short when they did not have any more questions. The plant engineering manager was conducting a phone interview at the time with another candidate, so the plant manager stuck around and spoke with me for a bit, eventually he left and I had to wait by myself for 30 minutes until the engineering manager came back. This last portion of the interview lasted about an hour and was focused primarily on engineering questions and my own questions. I was given a brief lecture on the company philosophy and operation. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would be contacted in the next month if I was found to be the best candidate. I was also asked to inform the hiring manager if I received any other job offers as soon as possible so that he could speed the process up and move on to the next steps in the process. He mentioned that the next steps would involve a phone interview with the director of engineering and the plant general manager who was not present on that day.

Interview Questions
    • What is the minimum water temperature obtained from cooling tower, and what does a cooling tower look like.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in March 2012.

1 over the phone interview
    -no technical questions

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were very simple, none of them were technical based, the hardest one was probably the usual "name a time when you had a teamate who was hard to work with"   Answer Question
    It was a fixed offer for the internship

Information Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valero Energy in December 2011.

Just behavior questions. Nothing about programming. He asked me about my work experience. A very comfortable interview. I got the offer after 2 days! I think I got it probably because my school is well-known in San Antonio.

Information Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valero Energy in November 2011.

Very easy-going interview. The recruiter just asks me about the details in my resume. It seems that they have a really professional internship program.