Valley National Bancorp Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014
12 interviews

2.6

Human Resources Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Valley National Bancorp.

I was contacted within a week of completing the online application. The recruiter scheduled an initial in-person interview with no telephone screening which could have saved her team valuable time. I was interviewed by a potential peer first and then invited back a week later to interview with the hiring manager. Each time I waited in the HR reception office area for over 45 minutes past the scheduled interview time. Only the HR receptionist acknowledged my presence and offered a welcoming smile or greeting. It was noticeable that as staff arrived and passed me in the HR waiting area, not one staff member, including those who ultimately interviewed me, greeted me when I was obviously present as a job candidate. The recruiter and interviewers were not only late but also unprepared (did not have a copy of my resume). First and second impressions were that this was a cold and unfriendly place to work.

Interview Questions
    • A telephone screen could have revealed critical detail about the position and thus saved both interviewers and this candidate valuable time. The interviewers each gave a brief orientation about the company, most details of which are also available on the company's website. Both interviewers asked similar questions and did not leave very much time for my questions. There were no surprise questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wayne, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

interviewed at Valley National Bancorp in January 2010.

The hiring process was a little long. Applied online and took about a week to hear back. Conducted one interview at their corporate office and later had to another interview at the actual location where you will be working.

Teller Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Valley National Bancorp.

Very quick response to application although the overall process was very slow. Initial contact by phone and then all emails after. Went to meet with both the HR manager and the service manager. Very relaxed atmosphere. Questions were very personal as in alot of situational questions. Mostly what would you do kind of questions.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to a coworker who wants a customers personal information?   View Answer
    Not much they gave a figure

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wayne, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Valley National Bancorp in February 2013.

Was contacted 3 days after application was submitted, and had my first of 2 interviews the following week. Interview process was fairly standard though I was told my part-time status would only be temporary until I was done with training fully. Once I finished training I was told I would not be made full-time and am now stuck.

Interview Questions
    • Mos difficult question was "what makes you think we should hire you?"   View Answer
    Did not negotiate anything. Was offered 13/hr and accepte because I was unemployed.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Valley National Bancorp.

Asked about your work experiences to verify your integrity on your application. What are your skills and qualifications? Why do you want to work for Valley? Be prepared for a back ground and credit check. Do your own credit check prior to applying for any errors or mistakes. You have to have good credit. Make sure you meet FDIC requirements, since they will only insure banks who hire/employ people who meet FDIC requirements.

They are not willing to negotiate.

Branch Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Valley National Bancorp.

Three interviews. Series of questions. Give examples depending on ciccumstances you are in. How would you handle them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situatuion and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    I offered based on my research of the position. My offer was close to what i asked.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Valley National Bancorp in March 2008.

application/phone invitation/interviews/hiring

Difficult

Bank Teller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Valley National Bancorp in October 2011.

Was contacted via e-mail to set up an interview. About a week later, I went to one of their branches and waited in a room with a few other candidates. People went in one by one and were interviewed by two people. A hiring manager, and of course, the service manager of that particular branch. After being interviewed by the hiring manager, you were interviewed by the service manager, and they consulted with each other about the prospect of hiring you.

Interview Questions
    • What is something admirable a customer has done for you or someone you know?   Answer Question

Credit Associate Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Valley National Bancorp in April 2012.

Interview process began with a phone interview. Candidate then meets with HR and the Hiring Manager and submits a writing sample. After, if selected, the candidate will be offered a second round interview with the Department Head.

Bank Teller Interview

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Valley National Bancorp in March 2011.

Met with Human Resources at headquarters and had a 1:1 interview there. She took notes during my interview and told me should was going to forward my application to the branch manager at the location applied for to see if the branch was interested in interviewing me. I was invited to the branch office for an interview a week later and had a 1:1 interview there. Basically the lady was forwarded questions from human resources at the main office to ask me and she was just reading them off the paper.

Interview Questions
    • How did you hear about the company/ why did you apply?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time where you had to handle an unruly customer and how you overcame the situation.   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience cross-selling products? Were you ever required to meet a sales requirement?   Answer Question
    • How would your previous employer/ current employer describe you as an employee?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep organized? Do you have any special methods you use to stay organized?   Answer Question

Worked for Valley National Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!