Valley National Bancorp Interview Questions

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Valley National Bancorp in December 2014.

I was called in for an interview a month after I applied. I spoke with the district manager and she seemed very pleased with the way that I was responding to questions. I then met with the Human Resource Rep. With my background, she offered me another position that she felt that I was more fit for. (I originally applied to be a teller). I was offered the job on the spot and more money that the position offered.

Interview Questions
    • The questions that were asked were pretty simple. It was easy for me because I have banking experience.   Answer Question

Bank Teller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Valley National Bancorp in September 2014.

Filled out the application online and was contacted two weeks later. I then scheduled an interview the following week. I was arrived at the interview 30 minutes early and was seen for the interview immediately. The interview was 5 minutes of resume reviewing and a confirmation of hire. I was then transferred to the hiring manager and was offered a figure, I negotiated and got a higher figure :) (Never settle for less people). Afterwards they make you do a million and one online readings that have to be completed before a certain date. Orientation was scheduled a month later (long wait but they want you to finish the readings, drug testing, and fingerprinting before you go). After orientation concludes you have to call the bank that you are supposed to work in. They tell you when to report to your bank and then they explains what your job entails. You are then subjected to more testing in your bank while you take in what it means to be a teller (normal transactions, customer care, and interacting with your new coworkers). After about week you are then sent to either full time training or part time training, they gave me an option between both and i chose the full time training since it was a more detailed training course and they give you more time to practice before they throw back into the fray. The training was five 8 hour days of videos and practice transactions with training accounts (Of course they're not going to let you handle real money!!). The final day of training has you take a test where if you fail your employment is terminated but if you pass your position is secured. The test is half 60% written and 40% transactions. When you pass (passing rate of 96% by the way) you are then congratulated you are sent back to your branch to be a full fledged bank teller!!!

Interview Questions
    • What sets you apart from all the other candidates gathered here today ?   View Answer
    Yes I was able to negotiate. ALWAYS NEGOTIATE!!!!

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Valley National Bancorp.

I was contacted within a week of completing the online application. The recruiter scheduled an initial in-person interview with no telephone screening which could have saved her team valuable time. I was interviewed by a potential peer first and then invited back a week later to interview with the hiring manager. Each time I waited in the HR reception office area for over 45 minutes past the scheduled interview time. Only the HR receptionist acknowledged my presence and offered a welcoming smile or greeting. It was noticeable that as staff arrived and passed me in the HR waiting area, not one staff member, including those who ultimately interviewed me, greeted me when I was obviously present as a job candidate. The recruiter and interviewers were not only late but also unprepared (did not have a copy of my resume). First and second impressions were that this was a cold and unfriendly place to work.

Interview Questions
    • A telephone screen could have revealed critical detail about the position and thus saved both interviewers and this candidate valuable time. The interviewers each gave a brief orientation about the company, most details of which are also available on the company's website. Both interviewers asked similar questions and did not leave very much time for my questions. There were no surprise questions.   Answer Question

Teller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Valley National Bancorp.

Very quick response to application although the overall process was very slow. Initial contact by phone and then all emails after. Went to meet with both the HR manager and the service manager. Very relaxed atmosphere. Questions were very personal as in alot of situational questions. Mostly what would you do kind of questions.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to a coworker who wants a customers personal information?   View Answer
    Not much they gave a figure

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valley National Bancorp in February 2013.

Was contacted 3 days after application was submitted, and had my first of 2 interviews the following week. Interview process was fairly standard though I was told my part-time status would only be temporary until I was done with training fully. Once I finished training I was told I would not be made full-time and am now stuck.

Interview Questions
    • Mos difficult question was "what makes you think we should hire you?"   View Answer
    Did not negotiate anything. Was offered 13/hr and accepte because I was unemployed.

Float-teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Valley National Bancorp in April 2011.

Easy interview! Lasted about 15 minutes.. Interviewer was nice even though I had gotten lost and got there a little late..she asked what I would like to get paid and then offered me position on the spot

Bank Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

interviewed at Valley National Bancorp in January 2010.

The hiring process was a little long. Applied online and took about a week to hear back. Conducted one interview at their corporate office and later had to another interview at the actual location where you will be working.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Valley National Bancorp.

Asked about your work experiences to verify your integrity on your application. What are your skills and qualifications? Why do you want to work for Valley? Be prepared for a back ground and credit check. Do your own credit check prior to applying for any errors or mistakes. You have to have good credit. Make sure you meet FDIC requirements, since they will only insure banks who hire/employ people who meet FDIC requirements.

They are not willing to negotiate.

Branch Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Valley National Bancorp.

Three interviews. Series of questions. Give examples depending on ciccumstances you are in. How would you handle them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situatuion and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question
    I offered based on my research of the position. My offer was close to what i asked.

Credit Associate Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Valley National Bancorp in April 2012.

Interview process began with a phone interview. Candidate then meets with HR and the Hiring Manager and submits a writing sample. After, if selected, the candidate will be offered a second round interview with the Department Head.