Valley Yellow Pages Interview Questions

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Valley Yellow Pages

Account Executive Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valley Yellow Pages.

Applied directly to local sales office. Did not respond to an ad, I was interested in the company and industry and sought them out. I met with ABM (Area Branch Manager) for first interview, then DSM (District Sales Manager) and ABM for second interview. I believe normally you will meet with DSM first. I was not aware of their dress code and showed up in basic casual business attire. They REQUIRE formal business attire (FULL SUIT). Dress the part to get noticed. During my second interview I was asked the basic interview questions and felt very comfortable. Be ready for a role play sales encounter. You will normally be handed an object (pen, pencil, scissors or ???) and asked to sell them the product. Be real, have fun, make it interesting and creative. This is just a simple sales profiling tool to see how you react under pressure, MAKE IT FUN! After interviews, if you get the job offer, you will be called in to accept the offer (in writing) sign all employment docs and take a drug test. If you cant pass a mouth swab drug test, don't be stupid and apply, that is a waste of everybody's time. After passing the test, you will be scheduled for training. You will get some of the best training available in the industry. If you are sent out of town, they pay your time, travel, lodging and expenses. You will need to dress formal business attire in training also. They are paying big money for you to be there, show up ready to learn and get involved in the role plays, have fun. We had some people party every night and show up hungover to training, they did not pass. You will need to study, there is a lot to learn. Remember, after training, your manager will be there to help, you are never far from help.

Interview Questions
    They have changed the hire package a few times over the years, not sure what its like now. When I was hired I was given the choice of base plus commission or straight commission. If you take straight commission it may take you a little longer to get a pay check but if your good at sales and confident you can work in this industry you will make more money. The base plus has a lower commission on each sale but is good to get you started and a safe bet if your new to sales. The base plus was for a limited time and once you went straight commission you could not go back to base plus. Their is no negotiation.

Account Executive Interview

Drug test, they want to hear you can talk well, confident and can sell.

Interview Questions
    • Nobody uses the Yellow pages any more. (When was the last time [you] used the Yellow pages?   View Answer
    Easy, just tell them you can sell.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Valley Yellow Pages.

The interview process is simple with a unique application designed specifically of the company which is very common. The expectation of prospective candidates is one of professionalism and conservatism. The objective for hiring is to find enthusiastic and motivated candidates, not necessarily ones with experience.

Interview Questions
    • What a persons weaknesses are, which is almost always an application and interview question and to me is usually a difficult one to answer.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation at the account executive level, nor at the sales management level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lathrop, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lathrop, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Valley Yellow Pages in December 2011.

Hiring doesn't have set questions as the manager decides to interview based on your resume. Due to my extensive non-profit experience, manager focused why I wanted to go from the warm fuzzy world of non-profit to the business world...

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really other than the constant question, why do you want to work in the cold world of sales.   Answer Question
    Nothing there other than a drug test and driving record check. Basically $12/hour and commission depending where office is located or straight commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Valley Yellow Pages in June 2011.

One telephone interview and one in-person interview. The manager was polite and respectful, puts people at ease with a good sense of humor. You will need a print out of your DMV record and proof of insurance for your vehicle, and a cheek-swab drug test will be administered at time of 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • There is a list of questions describing specific sales experiences, problems with customers and post sales follow up, and how the prospective employee may have or would handle them. Be prepared to write about past sales, both successful and unsuccessful, detailing how you handled/overcame various objections, common and uncommon. Tell your story honestly. Be specific!   View Answer
    There was no negotiation outside permission to be absent for a couple of days for a pre-planned event.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aptos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aptos, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valley Yellow Pages in August 2010.

They lied about the current income that reps at that office were making

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valley Yellow Pages in May 2008.

Be prepared, do you research on the hiring company, and listen . Talk about your accomplishments and your awards, talk about how you can generate leads to revenue and profits.

Interview Questions
    • I would recommend that anyone going for an interview with Valley to be prepared to answer the question " what is your weakest strength in a job?".   View Answer
    Pay structure at Valley depends on your sales effort. You are not going to make any kind of money if you set around.

Account Executive Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Valley Yellow Pages in November 2011.

After applying for the position via email, I received a phone call from the District Sales Manager the next day. It was somewhat of an unofficial phone interview, in which he asked me what I knew about the company and things of that nature. He then set up a one on one interview two days later. The interview went well, however the vibe in the office was quite somber and not as upbeat and fun as I would like.

Interview Questions

Office mood and benefits don't kick in until 4 months after initial hire date.