Value Village

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Value Village in May 2014.

Interview Details – 2 weeks after I applied online, I got called to come in for an interview. It was a 1:1 interview with the assistant manager for a production team position. She asked me questions from a sheet and wrote down my answers as I spoke. We talked about my duties in previous positions. There were a lot of "Tell me about a time when __" and no "What would you do if __" questions. The interview lasted 20-30 minutes, and she booked me in for a second interview the day after. The second interview was with a different manager, and she explained that I would be interviewed for a cashier position because of my availability and customer service experience from volunteering (this would be my first paying job). The interview lasted 10-15 minutes, and she basically asked me the same type of questions as the first. I wasn't asked to provide references. I called in a week after to see if I was still being considered, and they said that they were still interviewing people and that they would let me know soon. It's been another week since then, so I don't think I'll be getting an offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went out of your way to provide customer service.
Tell me about a time when you saw a co-worker doing something wrong.
  Answer Question

Assistant Production Supervisor Interview

Assistant Production Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Value Village.

Interview Details – Questions are very detailed

Interview Question – A situation where you saw someone doing something wrong and what you did   Answer Question

Retail Sales Manager Interview

Retail Sales Manager
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Value Village in March 2012.

Interview Details – Was phoned twice by an SM. Had an interview with the SM & then with the DM. Was hired about a week of so later. Just out out for their recruiters. They may a lot of promises that cannot be kept!

Interview Question – Pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tried to but was unsuccesful

Retail Sales Manager Interview

Retail Sales Manager
Halifax, NS (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Value Village in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process at Value Village is a lengthy one. Each candidate that is considered for a position must go through at least 3 interviews. The first interview is just a simple phone interview asking basic questions about availability, retail/customer service experience, and a potential start date. The next 2 interviews are done at a store and are conducted by a member of the senior store management. Both in-store interviews are not done by the same person; the reason for this is so that there can be 2 different opinions about the potential employee. Sometimes there can be a 4th interview conducted by the District Manager depending on the position. For this interview it is very basic and it just so the DM can sign off on the candidate and make sure they are the right fit.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are customer service based and fairly forward. Anybody that has any retail or customer service experience would have no trouble answering the questions. For the management interviews; these questions are more focused around the overall business and the managing of your staff.   Answer Question

Production Team Member Interview

Production Team Member
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Value Village in December 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews with different supervisors, and they did call my references which helped me. They do everything in a hurry there but are very nice during the interviews.

Interview Question – They ask all the usual questions like "tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer"...nothing out of the ordinary.   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Value Village in August 2010.

Interview Details – 2 interviews.

Interview Question – Greatest personal flaw   Answer Question

Front End Supervisor Interview

Front End Supervisor
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Value Village in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and told I scored exceptionally high on the employer survey. Called in for an interview. In person was one hour and another hour right after with the current front store manager.

Interview Question – I have been laid off quite a few times over a five year period. Manager asked why which is in direct violation of Canada's labour laws. You do not have to answer it. Best response is shortage of work. I think the guy just doesn't know that he shouldn't ask this question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was on the low end, 13.50-14.50. Offer is for a full-time job which is hard to find. I have cross experience in other industries so I am confident in working up.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Value Village.

Interview Details – I applied for this job online and about a week later I got a call for an interview. It was my first interview and I think it went well. The interviewer didn't ask just random questions, they had a booklet with questions that they filled out with the answers that i gave, so it wasn't anything too hard. She then said that I would be called within the next week for a second interview. I got the call and met with another manager. She reviewed the questions that i previoulsy answered and asked a few more in detail. She then said that I sounded like a pretty good candidate and asked for at least 2 references. Since i never had a job before i had to give her references from my volunteering experience. The references i gave her are very reliable people who know me well. After about 2 weeks one of the managers called me back and said that they were having trouble reaching my references and that they left messages for them to call her back. I asked my references if they had received any calls but they both said that they had not. I'm not quite sure what happened with that. About a week later i was still looking for jobs online and the listing was back up for that store.

Interview Question – How did you deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer

Team Member Interview

Team Member
Newmarket, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Value Village.

Interview Details – apply online, they will call in 2-6 weeks after you fill out the application and answer questions online. When you go in for interview you'll meet with one manager then the other. After which if you're called back you will meet with the store manager who will make the final decision. Answers are pretty common, nothing really different or exemplary.

Interview Question – no difficult question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, minimum wage

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person - interviewed at Value Village in September 2012.

Interview Details – came in, was explained the job itself and details about is needed to be done, pay, days off, sick/leave, scheduling then proceeded to the interview itself. had 2 separate 1-1 interviews with 2 supervisors on the same day. first interview and involved questions about past working experiences, responsibilities and initiatives taken. followed by a second interview right after consisting of the same format.

Interview Question – have you ever had to take initiative in the workplace even though it was not expected of you? what did you do? what was the result?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Value Village

Worked for Value Village? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Value Village interview questions and advice in Canada. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Value Village employees and interview candidates.