Value Village

Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.5

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Value Village in August 2014.

I applied online and literally less than an hour after I submitted the application i received a call! (i thought they were desperate!) and i was interviewed the next day.
    I was interviewed by 2 ladies who were very nice but they did ask some pretty tricky questions. Questions i found trouble answering because this was my first interview and i didn't have any previous work experience. Many of their questions revolved around previous work experience but since i didn't have any i had to talk about my volunteer work (which came off as very irrelevant). I did get stumped and pause on a question (which is something you shouldn't do).

Interview Questions
    • Name one occasion where you had to follow instructions from someone that you disagreed with.   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Value Village in May 2014.

2 weeks after I applied online, I got called to come in for an interview. It was a 1:1 interview with the assistant manager for a production team position. She asked me questions from a sheet and wrote down my answers as I spoke. We talked about my duties in previous positions. There were a lot of "Tell me about a time when __" and no "What would you do if __" questions. The interview lasted 20-30 minutes, and she booked me in for a second interview the day after. The second interview was with a different manager, and she explained that I would be interviewed for a cashier position because of my availability and customer service experience from volunteering (this would be my first paying job). The interview lasted 10-15 minutes, and she basically asked me the same type of questions as the first. I wasn't asked to provide references. I called in a week after to see if I was still being considered, and they said that they were still interviewing people and that they would let me know soon. It's been another week since then, so I don't think I'll be getting an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went out of your way to provide customer service.
      Tell me about a time when you saw a co-worker doing something wrong.
        Answer Question

Assistant Production Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Value Village.

Questions are very detailed

Interview Questions
    • A situation where you saw someone doing something wrong and what you did   Answer Question

Production Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Value Village in December 2013.

Multiple interviews with different supervisors, and they did call my references which helped me. They do everything in a hurry there but are very nice during the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They ask all the usual questions like "tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer"...nothing out of the ordinary.   View Answer

Front End Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Value Village in September 2013.

Applied online and told I scored exceptionally high on the employer survey. Called in for an interview. In person was one hour and another hour right after with the current front store manager.

Interview Questions
    • I have been laid off quite a few times over a five year period. Manager asked why which is in direct violation of Canada's labour laws. You do not have to answer it. Best response is shortage of work. I think the guy just doesn't know that he shouldn't ask this question.   Answer Question
    Salary was on the low end, 13.50-14.50. Offer is for a full-time job which is hard to find. I have cross experience in other industries so I am confident in working up.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Value Village.

I applied for this job online and about a week later I got a call for an interview. It was my first interview and I think it went well. The interviewer didn't ask just random questions, they had a booklet with questions that they filled out with the answers that i gave, so it wasn't anything too hard. She then said that I would be called within the next week for a second interview. I got the call and met with another manager. She reviewed the questions that i previoulsy answered and asked a few more in detail. She then said that I sounded like a pretty good candidate and asked for at least 2 references. Since i never had a job before i had to give her references from my volunteering experience. The references i gave her are very reliable people who know me well. After about 2 weeks one of the managers called me back and said that they were having trouble reaching my references and that they left messages for them to call her back. I asked my references if they had received any calls but they both said that they had not. I'm not quite sure what happened with that. About a week later i was still looking for jobs online and the listing was back up for that store.

Interview Questions
    • How did you deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newmarket, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newmarket, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Value Village.

apply online, they will call in 2-6 weeks after you fill out the application and answer questions online. When you go in for interview you'll meet with one manager then the other. After which if you're called back you will meet with the store manager who will make the final decision. Answers are pretty common, nothing really different or exemplary.

no negotiation, minimum wage

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Value Village in September 2012.

came in, was explained the job itself and details about is needed to be done, pay, days off, sick/leave, scheduling then proceeded to the interview itself. had 2 separate 1-1 interviews with 2 supervisors on the same day. first interview and involved questions about past working experiences, responsibilities and initiatives taken. followed by a second interview right after consisting of the same format.

Interview Questions
    • have you ever had to take initiative in the workplace even though it was not expected of you? what did you do? what was the result?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Value Village in March 2012.

Was phoned twice by an SM. Had an interview with the SM & then with the DM. Was hired about a week of so later. Just out out for their recruiters. They may a lot of promises that cannot be kept!

Interview Questions
    Tried to but was unsuccesful

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Value Village in August 2010.

2 interviews.