Valve Corporation

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.7

Support Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Valve Corporation in September 2014.

I sent in my resume for consideration without applying for a specific job. They responded around three weeks later with an email about a good-fit position.
    They sent the following question:

Thanks for applying for a position on our customer support team. We reviewed your resume and are sending a short test for you to do - please try to submit your response within 24 hours of receipt of this email.

Please respond to this customer inquiry:

Background:

You work for Venture Movie Productions Limited. You produce a wide range of movies in various genres by different directors. In theaters now:

The Making of a Metropolis: a Documentary on Meerkats (PG)

SlasherDeath5000 (R)

South High: Locker Wars (PG-13)

Customer Message:

To Whom it May Concern,
    Today I found out that my son Billy went to your terrible film SlasherDeath5000. My son is 12. I wouldn't have even known that he had gone if I hadn't found the movie stub in his pants pocket when doing the laundry. YOU are responsible for exposing my 12 year old to this violence. My son is an Eagle Scout. He would not have even wanted to go to this movie if you hadn't advertised it. How dare you prey on children in this way?
    You have tainted my child and are ruining the innocence of our kids. I demand an explanation and a detailed outline of what you are going to do to stop destroying America's children.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Valve Corporation in September 2014.

I applied to 2 interesting positions on Saturday.
    Although having 11 years of experience, world-level achievements, and strong relevant skills, they just politely replied 'no' right away on Sunday, didn't even proposed an interview.
    Very weird..

There Are No Positions At Valve Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Valve Corporation in September 2014.

There are 5 rounds of interviews with two or more people at a time. Two in the morning, lunch that continues the interview, and two after lunch. I made it through the first two interviews and lunch, and on the 4th round they said they were looking for someone that was more diverse in skills.

The first round was technical where they present you with a problem and ask you how you would solve it. For me it was data management of a lot of very large files. We worked through scenarios and they asked why it would work or wouldn't work and any additional solutions.

The second round was more abstract. They presented me with a very vague scenario and asked how I would write the story based on the information I was given. "Think of it as a video game level or as a movie scene. Tell us what happens and describe it in detail.". They were looking to see what creative ideas I would come up with and what influenced my decision.

Lunch was very informal at a nice restaurant. Just talking with a couple current employees about how I would handle certain situations. Very low key.

I was very nervous during the interview but it was a good experience. No job offer, but after talking with several employees I found that not many people get an offer after the first all day interview.... it takes a few tries to see how you can fit in, if at all.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach a colleague when you feel like their idea won't be successful?   Answer Question

Bi-lingual Customer Support Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Valve Corporation in September 2014.

Received an email from one of Valve on-site recruiters who said that despite the fact that Valve looks for Customer Support Representatives who speak Russian, English and other languages, they don't hire outside of the US.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valve Corporation.

They did not go very deep. They asked some abstract questions, and unfortunately seems they may have had some animosity towards a former employer. They did give me feedback on why they turned me down, but it was essentially an inverse of strengths I've successfully demonstrated (and even gave several examples of) in previous work experience.

I like to be transparent with my resume, so I was upfront with my weaknesses. Surprisingly they did not mention those as the reasons. That was a little concerning. I think they just saw the former employer they did not like, drew some generalizations and jumped to conclusions.

In the end, the interview processes worked. It helped me realize that the culture there is probably too abstract (and maybe short-sighted) for my tastes. Though Valve has made some great games, I am a bit concerned about the future growth of this company. For example, they tried to grow their hardware team once, but it seems the culture was unable to diversify itself enough to support that change. The company even renamed itself from "Valve Software" to "Valve Corporation" but sadly it seems their culture, coupled with the beaten path that their original team members created, have gotten them stuck with what they're only familiar with.

I hope I'm wrong. Valve has done some pretty amazing products in the past and still I'll cheer for them. But if you worked for a company of which they shared some animosity towards, I wouldn't waste your time. They're (unfortunately) unable to look past the surface. If you get rejected, I wouldn't take it seriously. Valve kinda lives in their own world and can have some unusual reasons for turning you down.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Valve Corporation in February 2014.

Initial interview was an informal meeting over lunch to see if I was a cultural fit.

Second interview consisted of a number of interviews with technical people as well as another cultural fit lunch. Each of these interviews lasted ~30-40 minutes and were spaced an hour apart. The remaining time in each hour was spent with me in the lobby waiting while they discussed the last interview amongst themselves in a conference room.

I was asked incredibly basic and vague questions. Nothing even remotely challenging. They were very non specific, however, so I asked various clarifying questions which did not yield any new information, but did tick off the interviewers. The last interview consisted of two people from an entirely different field asking me a completely unrelated question and then rushing me through an answer.

Overall - by the end of the last interview I had a very sour taste in my mouth - they had not tested my skills whatsoever. They had another discussion and called me back to talk with them - and turned me down on the spot. Their reason was, essentially, that I asked too many clarifying questions and they wanted somebody who didn't need to ask questions. I can't imagine any competent engineer would make assumptions about the things I asked them - so it is unclear to me what sort of engineer they were really looking for.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a scoring system for Left 4 Dead?   Answer Question

Bilingual Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Valve Corporation in February 2012.

I got contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn, who offered me to apply to this position. I had a 1:1 interview in this recruiting agency, then I received a skill translation test test. The I had a 1 hour long phone interview, where had to answer to a whole list of both technical and business related questions questions: what do we need to do with a piracy problem in the given country? What are the best dates to run marketing campaigns in your country? What is a device driver? How would you write a specific query in SQL? etc. Next day I received a email from them, saying that I was not an ideal fit. It did not bother me at all until I found out that they interviewed a few my friends from my MBA program during the last year and nobody of them got to 1:1 interview.
    Everybody made a translation of different game summaries and shared many valuable business development ideas.
    It is obvious, that if they needed to hire somebody for this entry level position they would find a fit during the whole year. I guess that it is a part of their business strategy: have less employees, decrease costs, have industry highest profit- let applicants do some work for free, at least translations and business consulting. I like the idea, but I don't like to be fooled.

Interview Questions
    • What do we need to do with a piracy problem in the given country?   Answer Question
    • What are the best dates to run marketing campaigns in your country?   Answer Question

No Idea Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valve Corporation in February 2011.

They recruited me, would not say what job I was even interviewing for, and then told me NO without any explanation.

Steam Release Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valve Corporation in November 2010.

Phone screen gated for qualifications from job posting then scheduled on-site interview. On site interview was an all day affair with interview teams and a whiteboard. Questions were technical in nature along with customer support questions. Job listing and phone screen didn't quite match up with on site interview as phone/listing didn't mention DRM knowledge as required nor expert level programming, just working knowledge.

Basically they're swamped with interviewees and are looking for any reason to reject an applicant in order to get the most qualified.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about some of the prevalent DRM technologies out there.   View Answer
    • Implement a function in C to draw a circle using the single point drawing function drawPt(x,y).   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valve Corporation in March 2009.

The interview lasted all day, and happened in phases. Each phase consisted of being interviewed by 2 people at a time. They asked questions about experience (based on resume) and then pose a problem to solve, with the help of a white-board to explain details. Two of the phases entailed technical questions (e.g. how would you solve a specific toy technical problem). One of the phases was a game design problem (e.g. explain a design for a game, in sufficient detail that after leaving the meeting, people would know what to code and assets to start creating). One phase was just lunch, where they asked about work ethic and standards success. I believe they wanted to hear that your definition of success is that the product satisfies the consumers' needs. The final phase entailed a conversation with the owner.