Vancity

Vancity Interview Questions

3.3

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vancity in July 2013.

Initial interview over the phone, with clear indication of next steps.

Investment Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Vancity.

You are hired by the department manager but HR also needs to approve the selection as well as the credit union branch manager whose feedback influences the decision.

Assets:
    - Past sales history important whether being hired from within co. or from outside
    - Bringing in outside assets also an influence; networking connections
    - Your needs to be easy going and team spirited but ambitious

Interview Questions
    • It's not a barrier if you are non-white! Vancity prides itself on being multi-cultural. And what's unexpected is that sometimes being from a minority is really welcomed by them.   Answer Question
    I negotiated a larger base salary (versus commissions) for one year during which I got established.

Financial Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vancity in February 2013.

1st interview: 30 minute via telephone
    2nd interview: In branch with assistant branch manager and senior financial services representative

Interview Questions
    • If Vancity had shareholders, how do you think this would make us do business differently?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vancity in December 2011.

Interview 1 was with an HR person at head office. I would say I did very well, and at the end I was told that I was shortlisted for the 2nd interview which would focus on sales and customer service. I was also given a form to fill out to provide 3 references.

Interview 2 was with 2 Assistant Branch Managers, but still at head office. There were various "what would you do in this customer service situation" type questions. I found this quite gruelling.

I was told the next step would be a sort of meet and greet with management at a branch, to see how I would fit in with the culture and personalities in an actual community branch. It was vague if this was a formality before getting hired, or an actual 3rd interview.

Later I received a call from an external company that would be calling my references on behalf of Vancity. Later yet I got a call from an Assistant Branch Manager to set up a meet.

At interview 3, the ABM seemed to think I had already been hired by head office, but I was under the impression that I was in the middle of my 3rd interview. The questions were not very memorable, mostly the same as the 1st interview I think. Things seemed a bit disorganized at this point on the company's end. It was easy though so I didn't mind.

Overall I would say the interview process was definitely thorough and substantial, not shallow. I put my personal tips in the specific interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • "What can you tell me about Vancity?" - 1st interview   View Answer
    • "Where do you see yourself with Vancity in 5 and 10 years?" and
      "What was the most recent thing you learned?" - 1st interview

View Answer
    • "Sell me this pen" - 2nd interview   View Answer
    • Various "what would you do in this customer service situation" type questions   View Answer
    I asked at the 1st interview, and wage was non-negotiable for the first 6 months for this position. $16.33 for the first 5 weeks of training, then $16.66 thereafter, with benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vancity in October 2011.

About a week after I submit my resume online, I got a call from Vancity to schedule an interview at the branch. It was a one on two interview with customer service manager and branch assistant manager. There were self-introduction and standard behaviour questions. Be prepared and stay calm are the keys.

Interview Questions
    • How well did you hit your sales goal and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Vancity in May 2011.

Interview #1: with HR representative
    Background check before getting into the second interview
    Interview #2: with 2 assistant Managers
    Interview #3: only to get to know the branch where the training is going to be

Got a better offer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vancity in July 2009.

I was referred by another employee. The interview questions were quite regular. Like introduce yourself, are you a teamplayer? what will do when you had an upset client. It went around 20 minutes. It was not difficult. It went well. The next day I received their call informing me that they would do background check...

Interview Questions
    • what will do if you have an upset client?   View Answer
    • how do you think you could bring your skills to Vancity?   Answer Question