Vancity

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Vancity in July 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview over the phone, with clear indication of next steps.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience.   Answer Question

Investment Advisor Interview

Investment Advisor

I applied in-person and interviewed at Vancity.

Interview Details – You are hired by the department manager but HR also needs to approve the selection as well as the credit union branch manager whose feedback influences the decision.

Assets:
- Past sales history important whether being hired from within co. or from outside
- Bringing in outside assets also an influence; networking connections
- Your needs to be easy going and team spirited but ambitious

Interview Question – It's not a barrier if you are non-white! Vancity prides itself on being multi-cultural. And what's unexpected is that sometimes being from a minority is really welcomed by them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a larger base salary (versus commissions) for one year during which I got established.

Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Vancity in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1st interview: 30 minute via telephone
2nd interview: In branch with assistant branch manager and senior financial services representative

Interview Question – If Vancity had shareholders, how do you think this would make us do business differently?   View Answer

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Vancity in May 2011.

Interview Details – Interview #1: with HR representative
Background check before getting into the second interview
Interview #2: with 2 assistant Managers
Interview #3: only to get to know the branch where the training is going to be

Interview Question – During the second interview I was asked to sell a pen   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got a better offer

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vancity in December 2011.

Interview Details – Interview 1 was with an HR person at head office. I would say I did very well, and at the end I was told that I was shortlisted for the 2nd interview which would focus on sales and customer service. I was also given a form to fill out to provide 3 references.

Interview 2 was with 2 Assistant Branch Managers, but still at head office. There were various "what would you do in this customer service situation" type questions. I found this quite gruelling.

I was told the next step would be a sort of meet and greet with management at a branch, to see how I would fit in with the culture and personalities in an actual community branch. It was vague if this was a formality before getting hired, or an actual 3rd interview.

Later I received a call from an external company that would be calling my references on behalf of Vancity. Later yet I got a call from an Assistant Branch Manager to set up a meet.

At interview 3, the ABM seemed to think I had already been hired by head office, but I was under the impression that I was in the middle of my 3rd interview. The questions were not very memorable, mostly the same as the 1st interview I think. Things seemed a bit disorganized at this point on the company's end. It was easy though so I didn't mind.

Overall I would say the interview process was definitely thorough and substantial, not shallow. I put my personal tips in the specific interview questions.

Interview Questions

• "What can you tell me about Vancity?" - 1st interview   View Answer
  • "Where do you see yourself with Vancity in 5 and 10 years?" and
    "What was the most recent thing you learned?" - 1st interview
      View Answer
  • "Sell me this pen" - 2nd interview   View Answer
  • Various "what would you do in this customer service situation" type questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked at the 1st interview, and wage was non-negotiable for the first 6 months for this position. $16.33 for the first 5 weeks of training, then $16.66 thereafter, with benefits.

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vancity in October 2011.

Interview Details – About a week after I submit my resume online, I got a call from Vancity to schedule an interview at the branch. It was a one on two interview with customer service manager and branch assistant manager. There were self-introduction and standard behaviour questions. Be prepared and stay calm are the keys.

Interview Question – How well did you hit your sales goal and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Vancity in July 2009.

Interview Details – I was referred by another employee. The interview questions were quite regular. Like introduce yourself, are you a teamplayer? what will do when you had an upset client. It went around 20 minutes. It was not difficult. It went well. The next day I received their call informing me that they would do background check...

Interview Questions

Worked for Vancity? Contribute to the Community!