Vanderbilt University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.6

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter for the role, and completed a phone interview with her. It was your typical "get to know you" phone screen to ensure I met the basic qualifications. I was next phone screen by the Sr. HR Consultant. Following that interview, I was chosen to fly to Nashville to meet with the Leadership Team and HR peers. The panel interview was a day-long event, and I met with 5 different member of the HR community while on-site. Following that interview session, I followed up with the recruiter a week later to inquire. I received no response. I then followed up again with the recruiter, and again received no response. I sent an email to the Sr. HR Consultant I had interview with previously, and then received a response from the recruiter that there must have been a "technology error" as she states she sent me an email in the previous week that the team was still interviewing candidates. I was assured that I would received some follow-up following that interview however that was the last I heard from them.

Interview Questions

• Typical STAR Format - I was asked a behavioral based question, and I needed to respond with the situation, task, action, and result.   1 Answer

Research Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, asked if I could come in to interview with two other faculty members and answer basic questions about my lab experience and undergraduate work. The recruiter said they are quick to hire once the interviews are done.

Interview Questions

• Why im interested in research and i have any prior experience with the specific lab equipment and background they they work on. how long will i be staying here and what do i want to pursue   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation phase

Assistant Director of Stewardship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN) in February 2015.

Interview

I was an internal candidate, but still had to go through the same basic phone screenings as outside candidates. You interview once with just one person, or this may also be a phone interview. You then spend almost three hours interviewing with various groups of people. You get asked a lot of the same questions each time.

Interview Questions

• What will you do if you do are not offered this position?   1 Answer

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I am a PhD candidate in the biomedical field and I applied through the IGP program. Got a phone interview and that was all. I think the program selects students mostly based on application materials, e.g., transcripts, CV, etc.

Assistant Dean Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN).

Interview

It was a national search and they ended up interviewing 5 candidates. It included a search committee of faculty and administrators. Staff that the position supervised were also included in the interview process to provide feedback. Recommendations were made to the Dean of the College by the Search Committee.

Interview Questions

• We think you will out grow this position very quickly. Why would someone with your credentials be interested in this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes and I asked for 2 new staff and asked for more money. I got the staff and an additional $5,000.

Research Assistant I Interview

Interview

I first received a phone call directly from the hiring lab. The call came months after I had applied for the position and by that time I already had set plans for the next few months. They asked if I could come in, interview and possibly start right away, but because of my prior engagements, I asked if they would be able to wait a few months. They agreed and a few months later I interviewed and started right away.

Interview Questions

• The interview process was actually very casual with the manager introducing me to everyone in the lab and describing the work they do. In the end, the only questions she asked was if I had any questions, am I interested in the position, and when can I start.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for an interview about 3 days later. I did a Skype interview because I did not live in Nashville. Following my Skype interview, they checked my references and about a week later I was offered the job. I took a visit to Vanderbilt to see the facilities and meet the people I would be working with. I accepted the offer after the visit. Everyone was very nice and helpful during the process.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard. We talked about my background and experience, why I was interested in the position, and why did I want to work for Vanderbilt.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I initially asked HR the range for the position. After the initial offer, I counter offered within the range and was able to get $3,000 more.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN).

Interview

Submission of application and interviews that was one day long. The questions asked was not out of the ordinary. Just a discussion regarding your previous research experience and interests similarly to what other schools would also ask during their interview process. The application is also free online so that the application costs are not prohibitive.

Graduate Student (PhD) Interview

Interview

After initial application, students are notified of on campus interviews. Students on site will interview with a number of professors personally or in groups, and can request specific interviews while there. Number of interviews ranges from 2-6

Interview Questions

• "Getting to know you" type interviews with professors, wanting to know your research interests and if you fit with their lab. Research their lab ahead of time   Answer Question

Graduate Assistant Interview

Interview

The whole process took about 3-4 months to complete, but I believe I started searching after other candidates, so may take longer. Contacted several different offices to see if GA positions were available, most had already been filled. Once I reached an opening, I had an initial interview, but didn't hear back for about a month. Eventually received a second-round interview. Interview was a mixture of typical strengths/weaknesses and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Mostly just behavioral questions about what would happen in unexpected situations   Answer Question