Vanderbilt University

Getting the Interview

21 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

GIS Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview, asked some general HR questions, such as tell me a project you did, and how did you solve problems you met, etc.

Interview Question – I thought HR gonna ask me some projects I listed on my resume, but all questions I prepared was different from they asked. So if you are preparing for an interview, be sure to search some general HR questions for the phone interview.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
Nashville, TN

I interviewed at Vanderbilt University in September 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty basic, applied online, requested interview later that week.

Interview Question – Talk about a time you had a conflict with a professor.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanderbilt University.

Interview Details – Phone interview dealt with previous work experience and course work. Overall, it was a positive experience and helped me decide which university to choose.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were as expected including why I wish to pursue research work.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Research Analyst I Interview

Research Analyst I
Nashville, TN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanderbilt University.

Interview Details – I only conducted one interview. The hiring processes was really quick. However, they are reluctant to hire anyone outside of the Vanderbilt community. Usually, If you see a job posting, it's just for show as they have already interviewed an hired their candidate that was either an existing employee or a graduating student.

Interview Question – I did not receive a difficult question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, but it was not for lack of trying. They were unwilling to negotiate and I desperately needed the job.

Faculty Assistant Interview

Faculty Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Vanderbilt University.

Interview Details – I was already working there, so I just had to interview for the specific position for which I was being considered. I submitted my resume and waited for them to follow up with me and call me in for an interview. After that, I was given the offered salary and was able to negotiate up a little.

Interview Question – It was the pretty standard questions...I can't say there was a particularly difficult one.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

Interviewed at Vanderbilt University

Interview Details – When interviewing for a spot as a graduate student in engineering, typically you go around to all the faculty members you are interested in working with and talk to them about their projects. The most important thing is to show you're paying attention, and try to ask insightful questions of THEM, to show that you can think critically and you find their work interesting.

Interview Question – What do you want to do with your degree? (Ph.D)   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student

I applied online and interviewed at Vanderbilt University.

Interview Details – Applied for the Phd program ... got selected ..

Interview Question – Did not have an interview ...   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate

Interviewed at Vanderbilt University

Interview Details – I emailed the hiring manager through a mutual contact. We then had several informal in-person interviews to discuss my background, goals, and the responsibilities of the position. I also met with the senior manager for similar interviews. The offer came within a couple weeks.

Interview Question – Please talk about one of your best research accomplishments and discuss your roadblocks and how you overcame them.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in January 2008.

Interview Details – Initial phone inrterview followed by in-person interview at academic conference, followed by visit to Vanderbilt.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your current position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much negotiaion

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Nashville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in February 2011.

Interview Details – Arrived from Spain. The professor didn't pay for the airfare to the US; instead, just paid from NYC to Nashville. She also did not pay relocation costs. On the day of the interview, I gave a seminar to the department. Then, met with several professors to talk about my project. In the evening, my soon-to-be boss took me out drinking....she ended up drunk and I had to carry her home.

Interview Question – To explain the specifics of my research project more as to how it relates to differentiation and proliferation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The university uses a standard NIH payscale for postdocs which begins with a base salary and then increases with each year of prior postdoc experience.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanderbilt University

Worked for Vanderbilt University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanderbilt University interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Vanderbilt University employees and interview candidates.