Vanderbilt University Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.6

Graduate Student Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I am a PhD candidate in the biomedical field and I applied through the IGP program. Got a phone interview and that was all. I think the program selects students mostly based on application materials, e.g., transcripts, CV, etc.

Assistant Dean Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN).

Interview

It was a national search and they ended up interviewing 5 candidates. It included a search committee of faculty and administrators. Staff that the position supervised were also included in the interview process to provide feedback. Recommendations were made to the Dean of the College by the Search Committee.

Interview Questions

• We think you will out grow this position very quickly. Why would someone with your credentials be interested in this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes and I asked for 2 new staff and asked for more money. I got the staff and an additional $5,000.

Research Assistant I Interview

Interview

I first received a phone call directly from the hiring lab. The call came months after I had applied for the position and by that time I already had set plans for the next few months. They asked if I could come in, interview and possibly start right away, but because of my prior engagements, I asked if they would be able to wait a few months. They agreed and a few months later I interviewed and started right away.

Interview Questions

• The interview process was actually very casual with the manager introducing me to everyone in the lab and describing the work they do. In the end, the only questions she asked was if I had any questions, am I interested in the position, and when can I start.   Answer Question

Clinical Translational Research Coordinator II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanderbilt University in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for an interview about 3 days later. I did a Skype interview because I did not live in Nashville. Following my Skype interview, they checked my references and about a week later I was offered the job. I took a visit to Vanderbilt to see the facilities and meet the people I would be working with. I accepted the offer after the visit. Everyone was very nice and helpful during the process.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard. We talked about my background and experience, why I was interested in the position, and why did I want to work for Vanderbilt.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I initially asked HR the range for the position. After the initial offer, I counter offered within the range and was able to get $3,000 more.

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN).

Interview

Submission of application and interviews that was one day long. The questions asked was not out of the ordinary. Just a discussion regarding your previous research experience and interests similarly to what other schools would also ask during their interview process. The application is also free online so that the application costs are not prohibitive.

Graduate Student (PhD) Interview

Interview

After initial application, students are notified of on campus interviews. Students on site will interview with a number of professors personally or in groups, and can request specific interviews while there. Number of interviews ranges from 2-6

Interview Questions

• "Getting to know you" type interviews with professors, wanting to know your research interests and if you fit with their lab. Research their lab ahead of time   Answer Question

Graduate Assistant Interview

Interview

The whole process took about 3-4 months to complete, but I believe I started searching after other candidates, so may take longer. Contacted several different offices to see if GA positions were available, most had already been filled. Once I reached an opening, I had an initial interview, but didn't hear back for about a month. Eventually received a second-round interview. Interview was a mixture of typical strengths/weaknesses and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Mostly just behavioral questions about what would happen in unexpected situations   Answer Question

VSA Proctor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN).

Interview

The interview process was painless. They want to know what experience you have working with kids and they ask you some hypothetical situation questions. The questioner writes down your responses and gives you an overall grade that you will never see. Helps if you attend school at Vandy but not required.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if one of the kids was falling asleep in class? (One of the hypothetical questions)   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation necessary.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanderbilt University (Vanderbilt, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Had a phone interview after one week. Then go for on site interview three weeks later. A full day interview with people there. Got email one week after interview date to inform they would not offer me.

Interview Questions

• Lots of standard interview questions: why this job, career goal,   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanderbilt University.

Interview

Phone interview dealt with previous work experience and course work. Overall, it was a positive experience and helped me decide which university to choose.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were as expected including why I wish to pursue research work.   Answer Question