Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.7

Data Coordinator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN).

Interview

The interview process was lengthy. It was pretty smooth. HR contacted me initially for phone interview then I had an interview with 2 supervisors and a few higher-ups in the office. After that, there was a panel interview with the other DC's. Beware of this job. The job description listed on Vandy's HR website is totally inaccurate. Does not match the actual responsibilities at all. Basically sitting in a dark area with little to no interaction with others while reading electronic patient complaints. There is little room for upward mobility and it pays VERY little. Only offered at 30hrs/wk but is still considered FT. The metrics and standards they keep to are unrealistic. The current supervisor is extremely incompetent and uneducated. If you are trying to "get in the door" at Vandy, this job serves its purpose but after a year or so, RUN!!! Pay is not worth the responsibility.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working in an environment where all you do all day is read patient complaints?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little negotiation, even the most experienced makes less than 13.00/hr

Laboratory Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in May 2015.

Interview

The process takes a long time compared to other jobs I have had. I applied online for the job. One week later, I recieved an email for a pre interview screening. One week after I submitted the screening answers, I was contacted for an in person interview that was scheduled for another week out. The interview questions were pretty standard. The wanted to know a lot about your knowledge of laboratory procedures as well as a few personality questions. My two interviewers were great and very personable. The interview lasted about 20 to 30 minutes. After the interview, it took 2 1/2 weeks to hear back. They made me an offer that I accepted and have not regret it since.

Interview Questions

• Name the order of draw for a phlebotomist.   Answer Question
    • How would you handle an employee whose constant tardiness caused you more work on the job?   Answer Question

Research Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN).

Interview

The interviews cumulatively were the most lengthy I have ever experienced. The interview day itself lasted 4.5 hours and consisted of talking separately with 8 people, each asking me the same questions. It was exhausting and inefficient to have to discuss the same things with each person, when a modified format would have been more pleasant, less draining, and require me to repeat myself less.

Pca Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN) in March 2015.

Interview

The Hardest part is getting the interview and the wait. The wait takes about a month before a phone interview and then 2-3 weeks for in person interview. The phone screening the basic interview while inperson goes into your past skills .

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN) in February 2015.

Interview

I was emailed by the administrative manager of department that had the opening requesting a phone interview. After a quick email conversation a phone interview was set for the next day. The Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. She Asked some situational questions (what would you do if...), some personality questions (how do you deal with...), and some job experience questions (list your job duties at your previous job.

Interview Questions

• If someone was calling, someone walked in and a coworker needed your help at the same time what would you do?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with different personalities?   Answer Question

Nurse Practitioner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in November 2014.

Interview

Initial application was submitted through the VUMC career center website. There was almost a two-month lapse of time before any communication was received, regarding a screening interview via phone with an HR employee. That interview consisted of general behavioral questions, such as "Why choose to work at VUMC? What is your general philosophy when dealing with conflict? What makes you the most qualified candidate?" and the like. I then received a phone call two weeks later from the departmental manager, who discussed the details of the position as well as conducted an informal phone interview. The following week that departmental manager called to set up a face-to-face panel interview consisting of the manager and the department NPs. This interview consisted of more NP-specific behavioral questions where the interviewer provides a topic/scenario, and I had to describe an applicable experience of my own, what I did, and what I learned from that experience. I did not get the job due to lack of experience, but it was a positive interviewing experience overall. Everyone was friendly and kind, and although the questions were somewhat difficult, it was a fairly informal and comfortable atmosphere interviewing with this particular department.

Interview Questions

• Describe a clinical situation where you went above and beyond your job requirements.   Answer Question

Medical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nash, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nash, TN) in October 2014.

Interview

There are at least 2 or more people interviewing you up here so be prepared to face more than one person the interviews are quite difficult and not as easy as interviewing for a regular job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose to work here   1 Answer

Health Systems Database Analyst III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Interview

There were a series of interviews, with not only the team I would be working on, but other people within the VUMC system. The interviews were extensive, but there were no tests (like I have seen in other reviews). It is harder to get through the original HR screening process than the interview process. The original HR process depends in part because of whose desk the application lands on. When I was helping select candidates to interview once I was part of the VUMC family, I was sometimes frustrated on who got through and who didn't. It is a really good employer for middle Tennessee.

Interview Questions

• No real unexpected questions. If you have read a good interview book (e.g., Knock 'Em Dead), you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was little negotiating room, but the original offer was fair.

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Interview

Overall, the interview experience was very positive. There is such a thing as southern hospitality. The questions, however, were VERY difficult. I was not expecting such questions, especially as a new grad (we barely have any experience!). But the interviewers were nice and I enjoyed talking with them.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about at time when you noticed that a patient required a medical intervention. What cues told you so, what did you do, and how did it resolve?" (as a new grad, that question was pretty intense.   Answer Question

I got an offer from one of the top hospitals in the county where the pay was much better (the decision was brutal though... I bounced back and forth for weeks).

Business Office Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Interview

Received a phone call screening first. Then a regular interview, then a PEER interview. Was hired after manager's friend accepted a position elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• If you had a choice on a snowy. icy day to drive to work or stay home, which would you choose.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Difficult