Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Updated Aug 22, 2015

2.7

Research Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN).

Interview

The interview was for a lab new to Vanderbilt and only lasted a couple of hours as they had not set up yet. It involved speaking with a researcher about my past experiences. This was different from another interview I had with an established lab at Vanderbilt where I met and interviewed with the entire team including the lead investigator. Both involved lab tours.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Interview

Standard interview. Arrive night before, dinner with PI that evening. Next day meet with members of lab, give research talk, tour of lab facility, more meetings and then done and gone.

Medical Laboratory Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN) in July 2015.

Interview

I've had three interviews: Blood Bank, Microbiology, and Molecular Diagnostics. Each was conducted with two or more people in different conference rooms. They all felt very similar as Vanderbilt has a script they use for interviews. Micro stuck to it like glue but Blood Bank and Molecular were far more relaxed and casual.

Interview Questions

• Typical and expected questions: tell us about yourself, why did you choose to apply here, greatest weakness/strength, tell about a time of coworker conflict, ect.   Answer Question

Data Coordinator II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN).

Interview

The interview process was lengthy. It was pretty smooth. HR contacted me initially for phone interview then I had an interview with 2 supervisors and a few higher-ups in the office. After that, there was a panel interview with the other DC's. Beware of this job. The job description listed on Vandy's HR website is totally inaccurate. Does not match the actual responsibilities at all. Basically sitting in a dark area with little to no interaction with others while reading electronic patient complaints. There is little room for upward mobility and it pays VERY little. Only offered at 30hrs/wk but is still considered FT. The metrics and standards they keep to are unrealistic. The current supervisor is extremely incompetent and uneducated. If you are trying to "get in the door" at Vandy, this job serves its purpose but after a year or so, RUN!!! Pay is not worth the responsibility.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable working in an environment where all you do all day is read patient complaints?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little negotiation, even the most experienced makes less than 13.00/hr

Research Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN).

Interview

The interviews cumulatively were the most lengthy I have ever experienced. The interview day itself lasted 4.5 hours and consisted of talking separately with 8 people, each asking me the same questions. It was exhausting and inefficient to have to discuss the same things with each person, when a modified format would have been more pleasant, less draining, and require me to repeat myself less.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

They contact you for a phone interview and then you can have up to 3 different face to face interviews depending on the position which you are applying for. They have practicum job related questions. They are nice when interviewing but stick to the facts don't ramble and don't talk to much about yourself or where you see yourself fitting in unless asked specifically those questions. Also go into 2525 West End and apply on their computers. Ask all the questions you have to those ladies at HR Express they are a huge assists. Even if you get the job I can guarantee you, that you will be calling them asking questions. Also be on your best behavior and be nice to everyone you have no clue who knows who.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you have had workplace differences describe to me the situation surrounding the conflict the steps which you took and the outcome.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Everything is up for negotiation. if your having a hard time getting in the door try getting hired through VTS, that's Vanderbilt's internal temporary staffing agency. They have people in HR who will place you on assignments and you can learn the internal programs will applying for the jobs you really want.

Pca Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN) in March 2015.

Interview

The Hardest part is getting the interview and the wait. The wait takes about a month before a phone interview and then 2-3 weeks for in person interview. The phone screening the basic interview while inperson goes into your past skills .

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN) in February 2015.

Interview

I was emailed by the administrative manager of department that had the opening requesting a phone interview. After a quick email conversation a phone interview was set for the next day. The Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. She Asked some situational questions (what would you do if...), some personality questions (how do you deal with...), and some job experience questions (list your job duties at your previous job.

Interview Questions

• If someone was calling, someone walked in and a coworker needed your help at the same time what would you do?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with different personalities?   Answer Question

Medical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nash, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nash, TN) in October 2014.

Interview

There are at least 2 or more people interviewing you up here so be prepared to face more than one person the interviews are quite difficult and not as easy as interviewing for a regular job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose to work here   1 Answer

Mental Health Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (Nashville, TN) in September 2014.

Interview

Pretty basic. Conducted a phone interview with HR. Then got passed along to a panel interview with the 3 coordinators from each department (children, adolescent, and geriatrics). Later, I received an e-mail from one of the coordinators offering me the position. Furthermore HR then called me to provide me with details about benefits and pay. I got offered around 13.00 an hour. Unfortunately, with costs of my daycare and gas, etc. I was not financially able to accept the job. Furthermore, through negotiation It was extremely difficult to get specific answers regarding my hours/shift, specifically days and times which made it difficult to figure out childcare.

Interview Questions

• Pretty typical interview questions. Strengths/weaknesses, past experiences. They did ask a lot of questions involving how you would handle a specific situaition and asking you to describe a situation in which you demonstrated a positive quality (such as leadership).   Answer Question