Vanderbilt University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant
Nashville, TN

I interviewed at Vanderbilt University in September 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty basic, applied online, requested interview later that week.

Interview Question – Talk about a time you had a conflict with a professor.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Research Analyst I Interview

Research Analyst I
Nashville, TN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanderbilt University.

Interview Details – I only conducted one interview. The hiring processes was really quick. However, they are reluctant to hire anyone outside of the Vanderbilt community. Usually, If you see a job posting, it's just for show as they have already interviewed an hired their candidate that was either an existing employee or a graduating student.

Interview Question – I did not receive a difficult question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, but it was not for lack of trying. They were unwilling to negotiate and I desperately needed the job.

Assistant Professor Interview

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in January 2008.

Interview Details – Initial phone inrterview followed by in-person interview at academic conference, followed by visit to Vanderbilt.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your current position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much negotiaion

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Nashville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in February 2011.

Interview Details – Arrived from Spain. The professor didn't pay for the airfare to the US; instead, just paid from NYC to Nashville. She also did not pay relocation costs. On the day of the interview, I gave a seminar to the department. Then, met with several professors to talk about my project. In the evening, my soon-to-be boss took me out drinking....she ended up drunk and I had to carry her home.

Interview Question – To explain the specifics of my research project more as to how it relates to differentiation and proliferation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The university uses a standard NIH payscale for postdocs which begins with a base salary and then increases with each year of prior postdoc experience.

Research Coordinator Interview

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in June 2009.

Interview Details – I applied on their job board and waited and waited. I had heard that the HR department was really slow, so I did not expect much. I went ahead and called a few of the departments myself, but it was no use. They are by the book to go by the usual process through HR. But I do believe that me taking the initiative did indeed speed up the process a little. I was called in to meet with 2 managers at the same time since they were hiring for 2 positions and were trying to decide which would be a better fit. After that interview, I met with 2 sets of co-workers on each team. The interview questions were very basic.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable, but I would at least fight for it. They try to get you in at a low to mid range and explain that you would need room to make more money.

Legal Assistant Interview

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in June 2008.

Interview Details – Received email application submitted then received call to interview

Interview Question – Standard questions   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in April 2012.

Interview Details – the interview process was very lengthy. First comes a general interview by a Talent Requisition Agent and then they forward their review to the hiring manager. Second, another phone interview, then third, an in person interview. The hiring manager took me to lunch and then I met with a team of people as well as the Executive Director. The questions asked were very general in nature and everyone was very helpful and informative. They welcome questions so be prepared to ask. Also bring an extra resume. Even though I was informed that the hiring manager had distributed my resume, some people still did not have it readily accessible. The job did not completely match the online description, but everyone was very clear on what they expect. Overall, it was a good interview experience

Interview Questions

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Nashville, TN

The process took a day - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in January 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. Interviewer was very pleasant, but questions were unusually broad (ie. "describe yourself in 3 words"), which caught me by surprise because I had expected the interview to focus on substantive qualifications for the position. Also, the interviewer went through my resume and asked me for my "favorite and least favorite part of each job," rather than focusing on skills which were utilized or developed in each position. Interviewer asked for a hard number for a salary expectation rather than just asking about previous salary history, so have your number in mind before you go into the phone interview.

Interview Questions

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in February 2010.

Interview Details – Was recruited at a career fair. Very open and emphasized the environment on campus. Applied online. Was invited to visit (paid for). Met with 4 professors who each interviewed me 1:1 for at least 30 minutes each. were looking for specific interests and how you would fit in with their lab and the department itself. Very open and laid back community but a lot of politics involved. Range of workers from very lazy to insanely busy.

Interview Question – In your past research or project experience, describe a time that something did not go the way it was supposed to and the steps you took to deal with the situation.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Nashville, TN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanderbilt University in November 2008.

Interview Details – Sent an email asking a postdoc position available and got an on site interview scheduled in a day.
Gave a presentation to group members and was offered.

Interview Question – Describe research interest.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Vanderbilt University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanderbilt University interview questions and advice in Nashville, TN. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Vanderbilt University employees and interview candidates.