Vanderbilt University

2.7

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Dean Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Vanderbilt University.

It was a national search and they ended up interviewing 5 candidates. It included a search committee of faculty and administrators. Staff that the position supervised were also included in the interview process to provide feedback. Recommendations were made to the Dean of the College by the Search Committee.

Interview Questions
    • We think you will out grow this position very quickly. Why would someone with your credentials be interested in this position?   View Answer
    Yes and I asked for 2 new staff and asked for more money. I got the staff and an additional $5,000.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanderbilt University.

Submission of application and interviews that was one day long. The questions asked was not out of the ordinary. Just a discussion regarding your previous research experience and interests similarly to what other schools would also ask during their interview process. The application is also free online so that the application costs are not prohibitive.

VSA Proctor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Vanderbilt University.

The interview process was painless. They want to know what experience you have working with kids and they ask you some hypothetical situation questions. The questioner writes down your responses and gives you an overall grade that you will never see. Helps if you attend school at Vandy but not required.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if one of the kids was falling asleep in class? (One of the hypothetical questions)   View Answer
    No negotiation necessary.

Research Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanderbilt University.

I only conducted one interview. The hiring processes was really quick. However, they are reluctant to hire anyone outside of the Vanderbilt community. Usually, If you see a job posting, it's just for show as they have already interviewed an hired their candidate that was either an existing employee or a graduating student.

Interview Questions
    None, but it was not for lack of trying. They were unwilling to negotiate and I desperately needed the job.

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

interviewed at Vanderbilt University in September 2013.

Pretty basic, applied online, requested interview later that week.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you had a conflict with a professor.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Vanderbilt University in April 2012.

the interview process was very lengthy. First comes a general interview by a Talent Requisition Agent and then they forward their review to the hiring manager. Second, another phone interview, then third, an in person interview. The hiring manager took me to lunch and then I met with a team of people as well as the Executive Director. The questions asked were very general in nature and everyone was very helpful and informative. They welcome questions so be prepared to ask. Also bring an extra resume. Even though I was informed that the hiring manager had distributed my resume, some people still did not have it readily accessible. The job did not completely match the online description, but everyone was very clear on what they expect. Overall, it was a good interview experience

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanderbilt University in January 2012.

Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. Interviewer was very pleasant, but questions were unusually broad (ie. "describe yourself in 3 words"), which caught me by surprise because I had expected the interview to focus on substantive qualifications for the position. Also, the interviewer went through my resume and asked me for my "favorite and least favorite part of each job," rather than focusing on skills which were utilized or developed in each position. Interviewer asked for a hard number for a salary expectation rather than just asking about previous salary history, so have your number in mind before you go into the phone interview.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanderbilt University in February 2011.

Arrived from Spain. The professor didn't pay for the airfare to the US; instead, just paid from NYC to Nashville. She also did not pay relocation costs. On the day of the interview, I gave a seminar to the department. Then, met with several professors to talk about my project. In the evening, my soon-to-be boss took me out drinking....she ended up drunk and I had to carry her home.

Interview Questions
    • To explain the specifics of my research project more as to how it relates to differentiation and proliferation.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The university uses a standard NIH payscale for postdocs which begins with a base salary and then increases with each year of prior postdoc experience.

Computer Systems Administrator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Vanderbilt University in December 2010.

Interview/hire process is very slow. Expect several weeks from application to first call back. Expect upwards of a month from interview to being hired. They will pay mileage for you to come in and interview, and I was able to get relocation. The employee orientation is by turns great, and also full of information that isn't relevant to you, such as accountants and technical people getting instruction on how to move patients.

I didn't negotiate. I probably should have, but the salary was sufficient and I wanted to get out of my old job.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanderbilt University in February 2010.

Was recruited at a career fair. Very open and emphasized the environment on campus. Applied online. Was invited to visit (paid for). Met with 4 professors who each interviewed me 1:1 for at least 30 minutes each. were looking for specific interests and how you would fit in with their lab and the department itself. Very open and laid back community but a lot of politics involved. Range of workers from very lazy to insanely busy.

Interview Questions
    • In your past research or project experience, describe a time that something did not go the way it was supposed to and the steps you took to deal with the situation.   Answer Question