Vanguard

Updated Dec 13, 2014

78 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Had one phone interview that lasted about an hour. Questions were fairly simple and I was requested to fly out for an in person interview afterwards. The process was very laid back, fast, and simple to go through. Two interviews, one behavioral and the other a case study. Again, both were fairly simple though I would recommend studying a bit on asset allocation and optimal portfolios.

Interview Questions
    • Case study: Asked what type of asset allocation would be appropriate for a person's portfolio if they are planning to build a house soon but have no other major expenses in the foreseeable future.   Answer Question

Salary was a bit lower than hoped for compared to national averages.

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Pretty typical first round interview, have some base knowledge about what is going on in the market and how mutual funds, index funds and ETF's operate. Once they fly you out it is about 2 hours of interviews and 2 hours of information on the company. 1 hour is behavioral based and asks different questions along the lines of "When have you been in the position that showed ________ and what was the result?" the other hour is a case study putting you in a situation you would face when you start on the phones. Your interviewer acts as the client and will try to make you flustered. Fairly easy and very basic, just be personable and genuine.

Interview Questions
    • Kept on asking questions about past experiences dealing with clients, we're all college students so no one has legitimate experience thus its hard to come up with examples.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

A recruiter came to my University and was impressed with my resume. I had an interview with him the next day on campus. He asked behavioral type questions and wanted me to respond in the STAR format. He was nice and even gave me tips for the interview if they were to possibly fly me down to AZ for another interview. I got the call that they were going to fly me down. I got to AZ and was accompanied by 12 other students interviewing for the client relationship specialist position. They told me to not look at them as competition. There was a four hour interview process starting with a presentation. They then broke us with our interviewers and role play observers. The interview consisted of 8 to 10 behavioral based questions, again USE the STAR format. Come prepared with good answers that give good RESULTS. In the role play, you are on the phone with a client. Make sure to be personable with the client and show empathy. Think of what you could say to help Vanguard with the customer. Be able to explain your reasoning for why you did a good job or not in the role play. They got back to everyone 3 weeks after that process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you could not deliver something to someone, at the time they expected it. Tell about the results of that situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

Great relationship built with recruiter and enjoyable process. Group interview over 4 hours which includes one-on-one interview, case study, and quick role play. Detailed overview on company and benefits too. Questions typical, but really looking for firm examples.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example when you had to re prioritize your tasks and how did you figure out/rate tasks in order of importance?   Answer Question

VADP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

Applied online. Within 2 weeks got a phone call from recruiter to schedule phone interview. STAR based interview questions and went over resume on the phone. 2 weeks later got called to be flown out to scottsdale. All day process where they give presentations and have you talk to employees. lots of talk about company culture and how they are looking for the right "type" of person that fits their mold. 2 interviews 1 hour each all STAR based questions. They are really looking for someone that fits company culture- they don't really care about work experience or knowledge so long as you did something and got above 3.5 GPA. Pay is low, and they try to say they have benefits like a gym, doctors office, food court etc. but you have to pay for all of it if you want to use it.

Interview Questions
    • all typical... tell me a situation where you disagreed with a boss. how did you handle it? need to give all STAR based responses because they write everything down.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Application to final interview process took about 3 weeks. I was contacted by a recruiter immediately after completing application. We set up a time for a 30 min phone interview. Phone interview is basic: questions about background, current job duties, Vanguard knowledge, etc. I was offered an in-person interview over the phone after our discussion.

In-person interview consisted of 4 one hour segments. First hour: discussed Vanguard's history and openly asked candidates what they knew about the company. Second hour: behavioral interview discussing background and experience. Expect about 8-10 STAR interview questions and was asked to describe the difference between a mutual fund and a ETF. Additionally, I was asked about current events in the financial industry. Third hour: case study with 4 follow up questions and then a follow up role play. They are looking to see how you handle problems and your steps to resolve issue. My case study involved a angry customer who needed a new closed fund set up before the end of the day. He had worked with another associate a couple weeks prior and they had overlooked a missing signature required and had not informed the customer. You must remedy the situation. Role play was a play-off from the case-study: same customer, trying to set up IRA for daughter including prior year tax contributions however daughter did not sign required paperwork. Last hour: group lecture about benefits and your of campus

Interview Questions
    • Typical STAR questions and know the difference between a mutual fund, index fund, ETF, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Brief phone interview where they asked why vanguard?, what's an ETF?, difference between stock and bond, recent financial news you read about, etc.

FOUR (!) hour in person interview which could have easily been cut in half. First and last hour are just them talking to you about the company/benefits. Middle two hours are role play and behavioral questions, but those both go by fast so you're sitting there waiting around a ton. Towards the end, they had us sitting in a room wasting our time watching a 6 minute video about their crappy on-campus gym. WHO CARES?!

I didn't get the job because of course they threw some curveball question at me that I didn't have a scripted answer for (Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?)

Honestly thankful I didn't receive an offer because I wasn't impressed by the cult-like culture and it just seems like one giant call center. If you decide to work here, I would get your licenses and move on ASAP.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?   Answer Question

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard in May 2014.

While looking over the case study, the interviewers left the room but forgot to use their inside voices and starting making inappropriate comments about an individual's appearance right outside the door. It doesn't really represent the firm well, very unprofessional. Just a little insight as to the type of environment you might find yourself in if you start working for them in retail client account services area. Minorities will finally be grilled in the final presentation and made a spectacle of. They are not trying to hire qualified people, they are looking for drones.

Interview Questions
    • A high net worth client who already has had previous issues with his brokerage account and is now trying to establish an IRA for his daughter. A previous rep sends him a pre-filled application for him to review and send back in. The previous rep did not make client privy to the fact that it needed to include his daughters signature. There are 3 days left before the deadline to make a contribution into the IRA towards the previous year for his daughter. To make things worse his daughter is in the middle of a high risk pregnancy and is due any time from now.   View Answer

Customer Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

It is a very long process. Phone interview and very detailed in person interviews. The interviews are situational based using the STAR method - situation, task, action, result. Very detailed process. Some of it is duplicated and seems unnecessary.

Interview Questions
    • The STAR questions. They want specific situations and actions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

Phone interview that was 45min long which was most behavioral and about ETFs, Mutual Funds, and Index funds. Offered to be flown out during the interview for the final process in Scottsdale. At Scottsdale had an hour case study and an hour interview. Most were behavior questions and experience. Though I nailed the interview and was above average on the case study. The next week I was emailed that they would not be extending me an offer. I was surprised that I did not receive an offer, especially with my experience and how well the interview went. I thought it was very unprofessional of them to email me for their response instead of a quick phone call, like most companies. Overall I liked the interview process, but the way they followed up for the final result added salt on the wound of not getting the job, especially after all the time traveling I had to do.