Vanguard Interview Questions in Arizona

Updated Aug 3, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

The whole interview process took about 3 weeks. First you turn in an application, then a phone interview then an on campus interview. Then you wait a week and they call you with an offer, or not.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online. First part was a phone interview with a recruiter, asking what I knew about the company, why I was interested in the company, etc. The next was an on site interview. First hour is a presentation about the position, next hour was a 1-1 standard case study. Third hour was a 1-1 interview with behavioral questions. Final hour was a benefits presentation and a short campus tour.

Interview Questions

• What's something happening in the news financially related that interests you?   Answer Question
    • Would you recommend money market funds or bonds/stocks to this client and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online on their website. Phone screen was 40 minutes and the recruiter was very nice. Was asked basis behavioral questions and went over resume.Then was asked to fly out for an in-person interview. Don't have the answer to the offer question yet.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to think outside the box.   Answer Question

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

Shortly after applying online, I received an interview invitation. The first round of interviews was via phone call with a recruiter. She was pleasant and made the interview enjoyable. She immediately offered to fly me to the campus for an in-person interview, with other candidates. The interview was a four part session which included a company presentation, benefits package overview, and two one on one interviews. The first one-on-one interview was STAR question based and the second one was role play based. A week later I received an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

I was originally reached out to by a recruiter who thought I might be a fit for the Client Relationship Specialist position in Scottsdale, AZ. We set up an initial phone interview for four days later. The recruiter called me ten minutes later then the scheduled time and apologized that her other interview was running over. She then transitioned into some small talk on the weekend and the weather, and then started asking me more in questions about my background. After asking me questions, she then shared on why Vanguard was so great, the amenities, benefits, and culture of the location in Scottsdale, AZ. She then opened it up for any questions I had. She ended up having to cut the call short as she was running late for a meeting - which was a byproduct of calling me late. She promised she would call back later. She followed through on that and called me that afternoon. We picked up where we left and I was able to ask more questions and she was able to share more about Vanguard. She then wanted to set up an in-person interview a few weeks out. However, I had another job offer out at the time and I had a time restriction on accepting, which I shared with the recruiter. She appreciated me sharing and scheduled the in-person interview that very week and told me I would have an indication on what way they were leaning shortly after. The in-person interview was a group interview. The whole process lasted four hours. The first hour was a presentation about who Vanguard was and their history. The second hour consisted of a case study and role play. I've heard the role play was different for others, but the specific one given to me was about an individual that wanted to know what account they should draw money from in order to purchase their first house. It is helpful to know your investment terminology. Brush up on your business acumen prior to the interview. The third hour was more the traditional interview process. An individual from a certain team came in and asked many different behavior based questions. This process was based on the STAR method. Be sure to answer those questions accordingly. The fourth hour was a presentation over Vanguard's benefits and a tour of the campus. They stated to the group that it would take three weeks for a decision. However, in my scenario, I had a job offer that was on a time crunch. I was offered a position just five days later, which I accepted.

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through their website and was contacted by a recruiter about a week later. Pretty standard phone interview that's expected to last at least 30 minutes. Be sure to know basic financial terminology such as Mutual and Index Funds, Stocks, Bonds and ETF's. I thought I did pretty well during the interview and the recruiter told me he felt comfortable passing me on to the next stage of the interview process which include them flying me out to Scottsdale. He told me it would be 1-5 days before I heard anything, but I still haven't received a call and it's been about a week. I even sent him a courtesy email thanking him for the phone interview and he didn't even reply back, so there's my confirmation that I won't be moving forward. Also if someone is selected for this position you MUST obtain your licensing by FINRA to permanently stay on with Vanguard. The first 30 days will be training and studying then you'll have two attempts to pass the exam. If you don't pass, you don't have a job so anyone moving from out of state, you should be fully aware of this.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. I had an on-campus internship first with two HR reps which included indepth behavioral and business acumen questions. Then I was flown out to Arizona for an onsite interview. The interview lasted three hours. The first hour described the type of jobs available and the job package. The second and third hours consisted of behavioral "what would you do in this situation" questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult person at work   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation in which you suggested changes to your organization and they were implemented.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

I was initially put into contact with one of their HR people through a career services reference at my university. They scheduled a phone interview that ends up taking 30 minutes to an hour depending on how conversational you are. There are a few of the basic questions about yourself/your resume, followed by a couple of easy behavioral questions "Tell me about a time you had to work in a team", etc. Then, they'll typically ask you to define some basic terms like stocks, bonds, ETFs, and FINRA. My advice is to just try and connect with the HR person as much as possible and show your personality through the phone. If you do well they'll offer you a real interview on their campus (it took them two weeks to get back to me, but I've heard of them offering it on the spot). The on-campus interview is four hours, split into four sections. The first/last hours are presentations mainly about the structure of the company and the benefits packages. The middle two hours is split into a one on one interview with someone, and then a separate role play with a different person. The interview is pretty standard, make sure you're up on your recent financial news and can talk about everything on your resume. The role play is rather awkward as you're pretending to have a telephone conversation with someone sitting two feet away from you. That being said, the key to the role play is to show empathy. Regardless of whether your customer is rude/upset, just be empathetic to their situation and you should be fine. After the on-campus interview they say they'll get back to you within two weeks, but in my case it took a month. OVERALL: VERY friendly HR people. Everyone involved was amicable and I never felt uncomfortable- extremely excited to be working here.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you had to think outside the box", "Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without all of the relevant information; what did you do and what were the results?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Had a first round phone interview, lasted about 30 minutes. Recruiter asked why I was interested in Vanguard, why finance, and went on to discuss the position. Then I was asked to define terms such as mutual funds, ETF's, index funds, stocks and bonds. He invited me to the second round interview in Scottsdale at the end of our conversation. The second round interview in Scottsdale was 4 hours long, but the first and last hours are presentations on the company and the position. The HR staff was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. The second hour of you are in a behavioral based interview and asked me STAR questions, pretty standard. Then the third hour was a role play interview when you are talking to a client. The role play was semi difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to take the lead on a project.   Answer Question

Customer Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from a recruiter about a week after. Set up a phone interview for later that week which was about 30 minutes. Need to know basic mutual fund, stock, ETF, etc terminology. In person interview is about 4 hours (plus driving about 30 minutes early). 4 stages and important to understand STAR method.