Vanguard

Average Difficulty
48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – They will schedule a phone interview first. They will ask you "what is a bond,eft, mutual fund?" "What are vanguard values?" "What makes vanguard different?" "How do you build rapport with clients" "what's going on in the financial news today?" "How do you keep up with the financial news/ what kind of financial literacy do you read?". If you do good, then they will call you in for an in person interview. There is 2 parts and it will last 4 hours. 1 part is the behavioral questions part. BEWARE. Vanguard likes the STAR FORMAT. Make sure you plan out what you are going to say. Next part is the mock phone call. They will give you a scenario can leave out of the room for 15 minutes. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SHOW EMPATHY. They want to know that you can be diplomatic to an upset client or even a happy client. Normally it takes about 1 wk until they let you know if they want to hire you or not.

Interview Question – How do you build rapport with a client.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. It pays $40,000 for the client relationship specialist position.

Charlotte, NC

I interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of an initial phone interview which lasted about 30 minutes and then an interview at Vanguard. The phone interview was easy with behavioral questions while the the interview at Vanguard lasted about 4 hours total. I interviewed with 2 different people at Vangaurd and it consisted of behavioral questions and a case study

Interview Question – The case study K   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Applied online using a friend that worked there as a recommendation. They called me and invited me for an interview in the Charlotte office and then I had 3 rounds of interviews. They basically bring in a stack of papers with behavioral questions that are directed towards sales and dealing with customers over the phone. It was less conversational and more of her writing down my answers without looking at me, expecting STAR answers. They also threw in a case in one of the interviews and I had to complete it in 10-15 minutes.

Interview Question – If a client asked you something you didn't know, what would you do?   Answer Question

Transition Case Associate Interview

Transition Case Associate
Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in April 2011.

Interview Details – All interviews are based on the STAR model and answers should be given in that format. Situation, Task , Action, Result. They are not looking for general ideas but real life examples. You are given a mock scenario to run through as if you are taking the call. You need to be able to list difficult client situations as well as positive ones. Dealing with difficult clients are tough situations.

Interview Question – What is one area that you need to work on to improve as far as your job performance is concerned.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One salary was offered

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of a thirty minute phone interview and an on-site interview the following week. The on-site interview consisted of two one-on-one interviews: the first being a behavioral interview and the second being a case study that involved role-playing a client call. Overall, a fairly easy interview that presented few issues and surprises - just make sure you are familiar with the STAR format for questions.

Interview Question – The role-playing caught me a little off guard, but again, it is fairly straightforward. During the phone interview process, friends I knew interviewing for the job claimed to have been given technical questions asking to describe the different types of financial instruments in the market and to go into detail describing the functions of a mutual fund. This largely depends on your interviewer since mine did no such thing.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted to seek other opportunities.

Anonymous Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted less than a week later to participate in the phone interview. After that I was brought up to Charlotte, NC for a Student Visit Day. This consisted of a presentation about the company and position, followed by two 1-hour interviews and a role play. I loved everyone I met and everyone was extremely easy to talk to. Even though I didn't get the position, they asked me to come back and interview for a different role.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult--make sure to use the STAR method! They have a template to fill out to make sure you address each of the aspects (S, T, A, and R).   Answer Question

VADP Interview

VADP
Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – One 15-30 minute initial phone call, then asked to come to office, travel expenses are comped. At office by 7:30 am till 2 or 3pm. Starts with info about Vanguard, then breaks into 2 interviews, each with different interviewer, 3rd interview contains role play, then lunch, followed by brief overview of benefits. Pay is discussed during offering phone call. Email if not hired.

Interview Question – Role Play: You are a college student, preparing for a career fair, and the person in charge, a senior has stopped working on its preparation. You must try to get him to agree to fulfill his promises.   View Answer

Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn. Got an email from a recruiter to set up a phone interview. Had the phone interview the following week and was asked general interview questions, nothing too intense. Although do be prepared to have a salary in mind-he asked me what amount I thought would be fair for the position. At the end of the phone interview, he invited me out to Charlotte, NC for an in person final interview the following week. Went for the final interview, was nervous at first but once I got there everyone was really friendly and my nerves went away. First part is a presentation, then you all split up for your first 1hr interview which is behavioral based questions. They want you to answer in STAR format. There were a lot more questions than I had anticipated but I answered them all without hesitation--so study questions and know the company and you'll be fine. The second 1hr interview was two part-case study and a role play. The case study was pretty straight forward and easy. The role playing was kind of awkward but wasn't too bad. Overall, the interview wasn't bad just be prepared because they are very thorough. I honestly do not know why I did not get the offer, I thought the interview went quite well.

Interview Question – Know financial terminology. Stocks, bonds, ETF's, mutual funds, index funds, positives and negatives of each. Be able to apply these terms to situational questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, then got a phone call from HR in Pennsylvania. The interview was the simple standard "what does the company do" process. Then they flew me to their Charlotte, NC campus for an in person interview.

First it was lunch, then I spoke with 2 people. The first HR manager asked me a strangely esoteric question, given this position was entry level. The second HR manager gave me a role playing skit. The skit involve a complication with a long time client's account to measure your reaction and professionalism in in the face of job complications.

After emailing and calling for over 2 months after the interview, HR in PA finally told me I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – If a client is thinking of selling all his stocks and putting it in a trust fund. What would you advise?   View Answer

Trader Interview

Trader
Charlotte, NC

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2010.

Interview Details – For this entry level position, I only had to go for one day for the interview. In that day, I met three different individuals (team lead, manager, and counselor type person for personality qualifications). Very cordial and relaxed but be prepared to discuss how you would assist a difficult client, etc.

Interview Question – Explain a difficult situation at your previous job with a client or coworker and tell us how you handled it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate, but I am not sure if there is much wiggle room for negotiation unless you are at a senior management level.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!