Vanguard Interview Questions in Charlotte, NC

Updated Jun 27, 2015

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

All STAR format questions. They have a script that they basically go through. Did not stray off course of interview questions at all. No small talk just immediately asked about "A time when..." A time when you built a relationship with a customer etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in person interview. The in person was 4 parts. 1st was a presentation about Vanguard. 2nd and 3rd were the one on one interviews. One was a case study and then a role play off of the case study. The other was your typical interview going over your resume and experience as well as STAR based behavioral questions. Also they asked about current market trends. 4th was a presentation of benefits and a campus tour. After that you were free to go. It went from 7:45 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Interview Questions

• What interests you most about what is going on in the current financial markets?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I was referred to through a current employee in the Charlotte office and received an email from the human resources department saying they wanted to speak over the phone. I set up a phone interview that lasted around forty five minutes. It was mainly questions from my resume and experiences I had encountered.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were faced with a difficult scenario and how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a pretty standard phone interview. I applied on-line and got an email from a recruiter about a month later. The questions are heavily STAR based. (Know how to answer all of the basic STAR based questions.) Already having some prior experience working with clients seemed to be pretty important. It is also very important to know whats going on in the markets and the economy when they call. Know the difference between stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and ETF's.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to think outside the box?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to build a relationship with a client?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult client?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you witnessed an act of cheating/ rule breaking, and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in September 2014.

Interview

First interview is a phone interview with a recruiter. The recruiter asks 3-4 behavioral questions that you must respond to in the STAR format. Also asks questions about if you stay up to date on the latest news in finance, and what sources of information do you use. At the end of the phone interview, the recruiter will invite you to one of their locations for an on-site interview. The onsite interview is a long day. The day begins with a session from HR on the values of the company and why you should work at Vanguard. You then have a 1-1 interview with someone usually in the same position you will be working in. This interview consisted of more Tell Me About a Time Questions. The next interview is a case study. You are give 15 minutes to prepare a response. The case study involves how to solve an issue for a client 15 minutes before you are about to leave for the day. There is no right or wrong answer, but the interviewer expects you to show that you have applied critical thinking to solve the problem. The last interview is a 1-1 mock phone call. The interviewer expects you to be able to solve the issue, cross-sell any other products, and show empathy. 2 weeks after the interview, someone from HR will contact you to let you know if you have received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without all of the necessary information.   Answer Question

The offer was for $40,000 with a $3500 dollar signing bonus. If you accept the signing bonus, you are required to work for the company for a minimum of one year. If you quit or are fired within that one year period, you have to repay the full amount of the signing bonus. I declined the offer because I was opposed to being on the phone for 7.5 hours a day and having to meet certain requirements for each call.

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Applied for the job online and received an email to set up phone interview. A couple days after the phone interview I was scheduled for in person interview which consisted of 3 interviews and small case study. Questions and case study were as expected, very straightforward.

Interview Questions

• STAR format situational and behavioral questions. Give me an example of a time where you had to be very flexible to achieve something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in September 2014.

Interview

First interview was in person on campus, 45 minutes of mainly behavioral questions. After that was invited to the on campus for a half day of interviews. Consisted of one hour of behavioral questions and a one hour case study. Case study involved role playing and problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Case study was the most difficult part of the on campus interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in July 2014.

Interview

HR phone interview was pretty straight forward. Know a recent happening in the industry, what's a stock, bond, eft. What do you know about Vanguard and what makes them different. In person interview is lengthy and thorough. Behavioral questions. Give a time when: Complex problem to resolve, most successful sales experience, made a decision without all info, difficult time with peer or colleague, unhappy customer, you got coaching or feedback and helped a customer define their needs v wants. Be familiar with the 5 divisions in this department too. Finally business dress is a must so get suited up!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

They will schedule a phone interview first. They will ask you "what is a bond,eft, mutual fund?" "What are vanguard values?" "What makes vanguard different?" "How do you build rapport with clients" "what's going on in the financial news today?" "How do you keep up with the financial news/ what kind of financial literacy do you read?". If you do good, then they will call you in for an in person interview. There is 2 parts and it will last 4 hours. 1 part is the behavioral questions part. BEWARE. Vanguard likes the STAR FORMAT. Make sure you plan out what you are going to say. Next part is the mock phone call. They will give you a scenario can leave out of the room for 15 minutes. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SHOW EMPATHY. They want to know that you can be diplomatic to an upset client or even a happy client. Normally it takes about 1 wk until they let you know if they want to hire you or not.

Interview Questions

• How do you build rapport with a client.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. It pays $40,000 for the client relationship specialist position.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Applied online using a friend that worked there as a recommendation. They called me and invited me for an interview in the Charlotte office and then I had 3 rounds of interviews. They basically bring in a stack of papers with behavioral questions that are directed towards sales and dealing with customers over the phone. It was less conversational and more of her writing down my answers without looking at me, expecting STAR answers. They also threw in a case in one of the interviews and I had to complete it in 10-15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• If a client asked you something you didn't know, what would you do?   Answer Question