Vanguard

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Malvern, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Applied online, 1 phone interview, 1 in-person interview.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in June 2010.

Interview Details – Behavior based interviewing using STAR questions.

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2011.

Interview Details – phone interview, then in person interview with a supervisor and a manager. Questions are mostly behavioral based on STAR format.

Interview Question – Describe the most difficult decision you've made in the last 6 months   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Vanguard in April 2011.

Interview Details – I found this position on my University's career website and applied. About 2 days later I received an email requesting a phone interview with a recruiter in the PA office which was set for the following week (on a Wednesday I believe). The phone interview lasted about 40 min, a few behavioral questions (Vanguard uses the STAR method to interview people). I was then asked to come in for a face to face interview at the Charlotte office the following tuesday and I was told after that interview I would hear from Vanguard a week later saying whether or not I got the job. So I went in for the interview at the Charlotte office it consisted of two hr long 1 on 1 interviews with 2 different managers. It went really well (make sure you ask the interviewer questions after they're done asking you questions and again know the STAR method). The only problem I had was during the 2nd hr of the interview the manager spoke to me as if he wanted to disuade me from working there...idk I thought that was little weird. But anyway the next week I got a call saying I got the job and I accepted!

Interview Question – Name a time where you dealt with an upset customer and explain how you calmed them down.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation needed. The benefits package is great. Raise after 6 months.

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in September 2010.

Interview Details – I initially applied online, shortly after applying I received an email for a telephone interview with someone from PA. Had my telephone interview (behavioral questions), once I got done I was told she would like for me to have an in person interview in Charlotte where I was applying...one week later I interviewed with them on a Friday. I was telephoned on Monday with a job offer.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations...the opportunity and benefits were enough.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted to schedule a phone interview about 2 weeks after submitting my application online. The phone interview was basically 4 or 5 behavioral questions. A week later I did an in person interview. I was interviewed by two different people and in between I had a case study to work on. These interviews were also mainly behavioral questions. They have forms they work off of for the interview so you could be asked the same questions in both interviews. They tell you if you want to give the same answer though that that is okay. At the end I was given a tour of the office. Apparently they have had some employs in the past start the job without realizing they would be working in a call center and then quitting immediately, so they want people to see what it is like now. It seems like a pretty nice facility and it seemed like everyone was pretty friendly and said hello to each other.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There is not really any room for negotiation. They tell you what you will be doing and how much they will pay you for it and you either accept or decline.

Malvern, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in June 2008.

Interview Details – Interview process was very rigorous. Three back to back interviews with HR manager, Department manager and Hiring Manager. The used STAR format and was basically all behavioral questions. There was one phone interview, and then the one on one interview. Best Advice: Know the star format inside and out and familiarize yourself with off the wall questions.

Interview Question – describe a time when a project failed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered and I just accepted. Regret not negotiating.

Very Easy Interview

Valley Forge, PA

The process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2007.

Interview Details – They first contact you for a phone interview, which is pretty standard. They ask a lot of simple questions that are almost impossible to get wrong. After that they invite you in for a face to face interview.

My interview consisted of meeting with three people: the recruiter, and two managers from the department and they all asked the same exact questions off of a sheet. They use something called the STAR method, which stands for Situation, Task, Action, Result. So they basically want you to think of a situation you've been in previously, tell them the task that had to be done, what actions you took and what the result of those actions were. Be prepared to come with stories of your triumphs.

Interview Question – Describe a time you were given a task you considered impossible.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's almost like working for the government, there are different pay grades and each paygrade gets a specific amount of money. There's no jealousy about one person making more than another, you basically know that everyone around you is making just about the same amount of money as you are.

Scottsdale, AZ

The process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in September 2008.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview; called in for a face to face interview which consisted of meeting three separate ones. One with HR, Team Leader, and a manager.

Interview Question – NA   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiated.

Client Relationship Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Make sure you highlight the fact that you would go above and beyond for a client, even if it meant you would get into trouble.

Interview Question – It's 4:55 and the office closes in 5 minutes and you need supervisor override for a client issue and everyone has gone home for the long weekend. What would you do?   View Answer

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!