Vanguard

Getting the Interview

66 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

Interview Details – I gave the recruiters a resume at my college career fair and they called me a couple weeks later to set up a phone interview. I felt that it went well and they said they said they would get back to me within 5 days. I ended up not getting another interview.

Interview Question – They asked me what i knew about FINRA.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through Vanguard website and then received an email from human resources to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic. The recruiter asked me about my education and work experience and then asked a couple of behavioral questions. After this interview I was asked to fly out to their Scottsdale office for an in person interview. This consisted of around 15 behavioral questions and a case study.

Interview Question – Describe the difference between a money market fund, a fixed income fund, and a equity fund.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted to pursue other options.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – First round is a phone interview lasting about 45 mins. Know how to respond to behavioral questions in the STAR method. Also, know some financial current events. Know what the difference between a mutual fund and an ETF are. Also, Know what an index fund is, the difference between fixed income and equities. Basic technical questions and easy behavioral for customer satisfaction questions.

Reason for Declining – Location was very far from me. Pay is very low compared to competitors.

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of a thirty minute phone interview and an on-site interview the following week. The on-site interview consisted of two one-on-one interviews: the first being a behavioral interview and the second being a case study that involved role-playing a client call. Overall, a fairly easy interview that presented few issues and surprises - just make sure you are familiar with the STAR format for questions.

Interview Question – The role-playing caught me a little off guard, but again, it is fairly straightforward. During the phone interview process, friends I knew interviewing for the job claimed to have been given technical questions asking to describe the different types of financial instruments in the market and to go into detail describing the functions of a mutual fund. This largely depends on your interviewer since mine did no such thing.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted to seek other opportunities.

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – From the beginning, the recruiter is up front on what will be asked. All around pretty straight forward. Typical STAR behavior questions and then case study. I found the case study to be easier than the behavior questions. My biggest advice would be have a thorough knowledge of Vanguard and why you would want to work there.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would sell something.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview that was 45min long which was most behavioral and about ETFs, Mutual Funds, and Index funds. Offered to be flown out during the interview for the final process in Scottsdale. At Scottsdale had an hour case study and an hour interview. Most were behavior questions and experience. Though I nailed the interview and was above average on the case study. The next week I was emailed that they would not be extending me an offer. I was surprised that I did not receive an offer, especially with my experience and how well the interview went. I thought it was very unprofessional of them to email me for their response instead of a quick phone call, like most companies. Overall I liked the interview process, but the way they followed up for the final result added salt on the wound of not getting the job, especially after all the time traveling I had to do.

Interview Question – What is an ETF?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Received an email requesting a phone interview about 2 days after I applied online. We set up a phone interview for a few days later. The interviewer asked a lot of questions about my financial knowledge and interests. She also asked a lot of behavior related questions. Over all I thought the interview went ok but it was a very dry interview; meaning that I felt that I couldnt connect or relate with the person I was speaking with. Interviewer said that I would hear from them in 5-7 days.

Interview Question – Was asked to define mutual funds, bonds, ETFs, and index funds. Also was asked what FINRA stands for.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Valley Forge, PA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position and within two weeks was contacted for a 45 minute phone interview. The interviewer first told me about the position and then proceeded to ask several questions such as "Tell me about yourself", "Why Vanguard", "What do you already know about Vanguard", and "What is the Series 7 licensing about". The interviewer then asked me five behavioral questions. Make sure you prepare possible answers to behavioral questions online beforehand. At the end of the interviewer then asked what questions I had for her and then said the next step in the interview process is an in-person interview so you will know if you are moving forward in the process at the end of the phone interview. We then set up an interview for the following week.

In-person interview- The first interview is an hour long and you are given a case study to read and then the interviewer comes back to ask questions about the situation and how you would handle it. The second interview is an hour long behavioral interview with a different interviewer. The two interviews can be in any order.

A week and a half later I was contacted via the phone with an offer for the position.

Interview Question – What is an ETF?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The interviewer gave me two weeks to accept/decline.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Vanguard in September 2013.

Interview Details – Met with Vanguard recruiters at Campus Career Fair. Was invited to interview that day for position.

Interview Question – Standard STAR format, Come prepared with at least three teamwork experiences.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – More attractive opportunity elsewhere.

Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn. Got an email from a recruiter to set up a phone interview. Had the phone interview the following week and was asked general interview questions, nothing too intense. Although do be prepared to have a salary in mind-he asked me what amount I thought would be fair for the position. At the end of the phone interview, he invited me out to Charlotte, NC for an in person final interview the following week. Went for the final interview, was nervous at first but once I got there everyone was really friendly and my nerves went away. First part is a presentation, then you all split up for your first 1hr interview which is behavioral based questions. They want you to answer in STAR format. There were a lot more questions than I had anticipated but I answered them all without hesitation--so study questions and know the company and you'll be fine. The second 1hr interview was two part-case study and a role play. The case study was pretty straight forward and easy. The role playing was kind of awkward but wasn't too bad. Overall, the interview wasn't bad just be prepared because they are very thorough. I honestly do not know why I did not get the offer, I thought the interview went quite well.

Interview Question – Know financial terminology. Stocks, bonds, ETF's, mutual funds, index funds, positives and negatives of each. Be able to apply these terms to situational questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard Client Relationship Specialist interview questions and advice. All 66 interview reviews posted anonymously by Vanguard employees and interview candidates.