Vanguard

Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.2

86 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

Referred by a friend who is familiar with Vanguard. After submitting resume and online application, had a phone interview within 2 weeks.

Phone interview is easy enough as long as you can be clear about your thoughts and experiences. Must have ability to be calm and professional over the phone while building raport with recruiter.
Will invite you for a recruitment day at a prearranged date. Vanguard pays for transportation, food and lodging.

Had one month after phone interview to prepare.
Interviewed in Valley Forge, PA.

Interview day began in the morning and ended around 2pm (3-4 hours)

Brought to a conference room with 8 other candidates. Began with introduction to Vanguard as a company. Covered history, structure, investment philosophies and positions available. Candidates are asked for questions about company. Must have a few in order to stand out.

Afterwards, met with hiring staff one on one to complete two stages of interviews. My first was the role-playing scenario. I am, personally, comfortable doing this. I would suggest practicing with a friend or mentor beforehand. Presented with a case study and required to use information provided to address a situation with a client. This is done out of character, simply had to verbalize strategy for addressing clients needs within a certain amount of time. Asked also to prioritize several tasks after handling client.

Role playing was easy and casual. Imitated a phone call with another client and given time to read a short story of their situation and how to handle their requests. SHOW EMPATHY!!! If "client" says they are about to be married, be excited for them and congratulate them. If there is a death in the family, show consolation and handle them gently.

The next stage was another one-on-one interview with a different hiring manager. reiterate experiences and what brought you to Vanguard and why you have chosen to interview with them. Asked a dozen or so behavioral questions (STAR Method is imperative). Use specific examples from work/school/sports/what ever. Highlighting interactions with customers and coworkers is also essential.

Finally, all the candidates were brought into a room for a final presentation on benefits, the Vanguard campus and what ways you can get involved with the community.

Vanguard will shuttle you back to the airport/bus station/what ever

Interview Questions
  • Being able to speak genuinely about why you want to be a part of Vanguard is the most essential thing. Discussing differences between Vanguard and their competitors, what about Vanguard that you find unique and desirable, and having anecdotes that highlight customer service are all essential. If you study STAR method interviewing beforehand, no one of the questions will be difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through university. Was scheduled a one on one interview on campus which was behavioral based. Asked specifically what an ETF, Bond, Stock, and Mutual Fund are.

Was called back within a week to schedule an onsite interview. The second interview consisted of a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy, they just want to know that the customer is your first priority. The role play was a mock phone call with a customer who did not know what to do with her investments, and you had to guide her in a direction based on her concerns.

Interview Questions
    • what type of investment should a person make based on risk   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Had an initial phone interview with an HR representative. Discussed my skills and interests as well as job tasks. I was expecting a more technical and less sales oriented role.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Very thorough process study all glassdoor questions and for roleplay make sure you show EMPATHY, they will give you a scenario where the client is pregnant or has a loss in the family and they expect you to address it

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you had to build a relationship with a client?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

Great relationship built with recruiter and enjoyable process. Group interview over 4 hours which includes one-on-one interview, case study, and quick role play. Detailed overview on company and benefits too. Questions typical, but really looking for firm examples.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example when you had to re prioritize your tasks and how did you figure out/rate tasks in order of importance?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

First round phone interview: Basic knowledge of financial industry is necessary, asks about ETF vs. Mutual fund, index funds, and stocks vs. bonds. Asks typical STAR behavioral questions during second half of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why have you chosen to seek jobs in the financial industry   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

A recruiter came to my University and was impressed with my resume. I had an interview with him the next day on campus. He asked behavioral type questions and wanted me to respond in the STAR format. He was nice and even gave me tips for the interview if they were to possibly fly me down to AZ for another interview. I got the call that they were going to fly me down. I got to AZ and was accompanied by 12 other students interviewing for the client relationship specialist position. They told me to not look at them as competition. There was a four hour interview process starting with a presentation. They then broke us with our interviewers and role play observers. The interview consisted of 8 to 10 behavioral based questions, again USE the STAR format. Come prepared with good answers that give good RESULTS. In the role play, you are on the phone with a client. Make sure to be personable with the client and show empathy. Think of what you could say to help Vanguard with the customer. Be able to explain your reasoning for why you did a good job or not in the role play. They got back to everyone 3 weeks after that process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you could not deliver something to someone, at the time they expected it. Tell about the results of that situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied for the job online and received an email to set up phone interview. A couple days after the phone interview I was scheduled for in person interview which consisted of 3 interviews and small case study. Questions and case study were as expected, very straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • STAR format situational and behavioral questions. Give me an example of a time where you had to be very flexible to achieve something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in September 2014.

First interview was in person on campus, 45 minutes of mainly behavioral questions. After that was invited to the on campus for a half day of interviews. Consisted of one hour of behavioral questions and a one hour case study. Case study involved role playing and problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • Case study was the most difficult part of the on campus interview   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Several hour long interview. Require you to cite experiences in which you went the extra mile and thought outside the box if you want to get hired. Customer service experience is a big plus.

Interview Questions
    • A case study regarding an angry high net worth customer. Requires you to think critically and not just say what you think they want to hear (because it's probably not what they actually wanted to hear anyway).   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate for an entry level position at a world class mutual fund institution. Just getting in and getting my Series 7 passed was enough for me to take the job. The experience for your resume is invaluable, and although the salary+bonuses are modest (40-50k), the benefits are awesome. Incredible retirement plan, Medical-Dental-Optical for $62 a month. They pay 88% of insurance costs.