Vanguard Client Relationship Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015
Updated Mar 17, 2015

3.2

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard.

Overall very friendly, asked questions to get to know me and then went onto "life experience questions". "Tell me about a time...." Asked a couple of minor technical questions, if you can't answer them off the top of your head, this probably is not the company for you or you walked into the wrong interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through campus career site. Heard back in just a few days. Received a phone interview, the phone interview lasted 30 minutes and focused on resume and behavioral questions. Understand the STAR method.

Interview Questions
    • Walk through resume. Behavioral questions answer in STAR format...ex: can you provide an example of a time when you had to build a relationship with a costumer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vanguard in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter on a Friday to set up a time for a phone interview. We had agreed to set up the interview for the Tuesday afternoon. The recruiter was extremely nice and easy to talk to. We had spoke on the phone for about an hour going over basic behavioral questions and why I wanted to work about Vanguard. Once she was finished with her questions for me she had asked if I had any for her. I had asked about the opportunities at Vanguard and how they would help me advance and move throughout my career. She had launched into a lengthy but highly informative speech about all of the opportunities, departments and resources that Vanguard had to offer to its employees, or crew members as they call them. I wasn't sold on the company before that, I was after that speech. She had then invited me into the office at Malvern for an in-person interview that Friday afternoon.

The interview process at the Malvern office was a four hour long process. The first hour was bringing myself and three other candidates into a room and giving us a presentation about how the company was set up, how they conduct business, all of the different departments there are and so on. The next two hours were the actual interview. The interviews took place in the Galley, or the cafeteria, which I felt was a nice touch and helped us relax so that the interview could flow more like a conversation and less like an interview. The first part of the interview was asking basic behavioral type of questions as well as questions pertaining to current events in the finance world. I would suggest doing a little reading on the Wall Street Journal or Bloomberg so that you are not blindsided by this. Once that was over they gave you a 5-10 minute break to use the restroom or regroup and then there was a case study. The first part of the case study was giving you a summary of a customer with a problem and discussion questions on the back that you are going to go over with the interviewer after reading over the information for about 10 minutes. This part is meant to get a better understanding on how you would deal with a customer who was having basic customer service problems. Be empathetic!! They are all about serving the customer first and foremost!! The second part they gave you financial information where you are supposed to advise the customer on how they are supposed to handle their accounts. Just have a basic knowledge of finance information and make sure when you are advising the customer (interviewer) that you are showing that they come first. After those interviews were over they brought us back into the room we were first in an gave us another presentation on benefits packages and basically all of the perks of working at Vanguard, which are A LOT!!

I must have done really well on the interview because by Monday morning they had called me and offered me the job. I said I needed a day to review the offer letter materials but I already knew that I was going to accept because Vanguard is an extremely great company to work for and I am looking forward to starting.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you typically find news pertaining to the finance industry?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an article that you read recently that pertains to finance that you found interesting and how would that affect business for Vanguard?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard.

It was pretty standard for a finance interview. I started with a phone screening, then went into Scottsdale for a face to face. I met with two individual interviewers. Process was actually enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you were asked to show leadership.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

Phone interview describing what you know about Vanguard. You will be asked to point out key scenarios from previous employment. KNOW BASIC MUTUAL FUND TERMINOLOGY. Do not stutter on the phone. Know what you are talking about. Prepare for the phone interview as if it were the biggest day of your life.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I was originally reached out to by a recruiter who thought I might be a fit for the Client Relationship Specialist position in Scottsdale, AZ. We set up an initial phone interview for four days later.

The recruiter called me ten minutes later then the scheduled time and apologized that her other interview was running over. She then transitioned into some small talk on the weekend and the weather, and then started asking me more in questions about my background. After asking me questions, she then shared on why Vanguard was so great, the amenities, benefits, and culture of the location in Scottsdale, AZ. She then opened it up for any questions I had.

She ended up having to cut the call short as she was running late for a meeting - which was a byproduct of calling me late. She promised she would call back later. She followed through on that and called me that afternoon. We picked up where we left and I was able to ask more questions and she was able to share more about Vanguard. She then wanted to set up an in-person interview a few weeks out. However, I had another job offer out at the time and I had a time restriction on accepting, which I shared with the recruiter. She appreciated me sharing and scheduled the in-person interview that very week and told me I would have an indication on what way they were leaning shortly after.

The in-person interview was a group interview. The whole process lasted four hours. The first hour was a presentation about who Vanguard was and their history. The second hour consisted of a case study and role play. I've heard the role play was different for others, but the specific one given to me was about an individual that wanted to know what account they should draw money from in order to purchase their first house. It is helpful to know your investment terminology. Brush up on your business acumen prior to the interview. The third hour was more the traditional interview process. An individual from a certain team came in and asked many different behavior based questions. This process was based on the STAR method. Be sure to answer those questions accordingly. The fourth hour was a presentation over Vanguard's benefits and a tour of the campus.

They stated to the group that it would take three weeks for a decision. However, in my scenario, I had a job offer that was on a time crunch. I was offered a position just five days later, which I accepted.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

I connected with a recruiter during Vanguard's recruitment webinar. I was scheduled for a phone interview and then I was flown out to Arizona for the second interview. The interview process is four hours long and consisted of a STAR based interview followed by a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy. The role play was a little difficult. You had to extract information from the interviewer to determine the best possible solution for the client. The company is very client oriented so be sure to show concern.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Either you accepted the offer or you didn't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

I was initially put into contact with one of their HR people through a career services reference at my university. They scheduled a phone interview that ends up taking 30 minutes to an hour depending on how conversational you are. There are a few of the basic questions about yourself/your resume, followed by a couple of easy behavioral questions "Tell me about a time you had to work in a team", etc. Then, they'll typically ask you to define some basic terms like stocks, bonds, ETFs, and FINRA. My advice is to just try and connect with the HR person as much as possible and show your personality through the phone. If you do well they'll offer you a real interview on their campus (it took them two weeks to get back to me, but I've heard of them offering it on the spot). The on-campus interview is four hours, split into four sections. The first/last hours are presentations mainly about the structure of the company and the benefits packages. The middle two hours is split into a one on one interview with someone, and then a separate role play with a different person. The interview is pretty standard, make sure you're up on your recent financial news and can talk about everything on your resume. The role play is rather awkward as you're pretending to have a telephone conversation with someone sitting two feet away from you. That being said, the key to the role play is to show empathy. Regardless of whether your customer is rude/upset, just be empathetic to their situation and you should be fine. After the on-campus interview they say they'll get back to you within two weeks, but in my case it took a month. OVERALL: VERY friendly HR people. Everyone involved was amicable and I never felt uncomfortable- extremely excited to be working here.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you had to think outside the box", "Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without all of the relevant information; what did you do and what were the results?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in February 2015.

basic 30 minute overview- run through your resume. be able to talk about how you have worked with clients. know financial news/terminology. was asked to come for an in person interview the next day via email.

interview at malvern. 1 hr presentation about what vanguard does... speak up ask questions. 1 hour interview behavioral questions(mostly about client work). 1 hour role play: basically just make sure you can sound confident and nice on th phone. doesn't matter if you can't tell them where to allocate their assets. 1 hour presentation about benefits then you leave.

Interview Questions
    • name a time you had to sell something difficult.
      name a time when you had to deal with a difficult client and how you handeled it.
      name a time when you had to deal with a client when they were already upset

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard in February 2015.

Had a first round phone interview, lasted about 30 minutes. Recruiter asked why I was interested in Vanguard, why finance, and went on to discuss the position. Then I was asked to define terms such as mutual funds, ETF's, index funds, stocks and bonds. He invited me to the second round interview in Scottsdale at the end of our conversation. The second round interview in Scottsdale was 4 hours long, but the first and last hours are presentations on the company and the position. The HR staff was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. The second hour of you are in a behavioral based interview and asked me STAR questions, pretty standard. Then the third hour was a role play interview when you are talking to a client. The role play was semi difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to take the lead on a project.   Answer Question