Vanguard

Updated Jan 22, 2015

3.2

94 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Got an email from one of the recruiters asking if I was interested in the position. Called me the following week for a phone interview. Interview lasted about 25 min, they had me explain my previous work experiences and in detail some of the duties I had to perform. They also asked about other activities I'm involved in at school.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time when you had to build a relationship with a customer? Where do you find news pertaining to the financial industry?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

I got an on campus interview through one of our career fairs. The first round interview was about 45 minutes long and contained a few behavioral questions. Like, "Give me a time when you had to get others to follow you, and how did they react?" I did well enough they had me fly out to Scottsdale, AZ for the second round. Obviously this one was a bit more intense. The first interviewer went over some questions about your resume as well as more behavior questions. The second interviewer went through a case with you, regarding a problem with a current client. It's definitely a bit different having to grasp all the information within a time requirement, and making a key decision for the customer. But definitely relates to the job requirement.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you saw an act of cheating/rule breaking occur and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

The Interview Process Consisted of a phone call, which was simply to see if you'd be a good fit and worth bringing into the office for an interview.
    The in-person interview was with a group of 9 people. First portion consisted with a overview of the company, and benefits review. We split up with different managers and had a 1 hour Case Study and Role Play. Then a STAR based 1 hour interview with a different manager. We came back together and took a tour of the campus and were able to have any last minute questions answered. Total process took 4 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to make a decision without all the information available, and what was the outcome of that decision?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Two part interview. First part is a 30 minute phone interview and the second is a four hour on-site interview. The phone interview focuses on qualifications and resume. The onsite interview is split into four hour long parts. Two presentations about the company, an hour long behavioral based interview and a case study/role play.

Interview Questions
    • Very important to show empathy during role play. For the behavioral based interview make sure to answer using the STAR method. One question that threw me off was "Explain a recent event in the news pertaining to finance and how it would affect business at Vanguard"   Answer Question

good benefits but low salary and compensation

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

They had my resume in the system and HR contacted me and asked me to interview for a "client Relationship Specialist" position. They asked me to contact them within a few days and set up a time for a phone screen. The phone screen asked pretty basic questions. After the phone interview, they told me they would be in contact with me within the next few weeks to see what steps to take next if they wanted to consider me further. I am still waiting for a response.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in December 2014.

I was recruited through my school and contacted initially via email. My recruiter was incredibly friendly and helpful, not to mention responded quickly to my questions/responses. My first interview was over the phone and lasted about 45-50 minutes. She asked some basic finance questions and what I knew about the company. Personality questions were fine and she seemed genuinely interested, making the process a bit more comfortable. The second interview was on-site; we gathered for an initial presentation, then split off to have our individual interviews. These lasted two hours (one hour with two different people). The first person asked many, many questions about extremely specific customer service examples I have encountered and asked for lots of detail. The second interviewer asked a few basic questions, but then the dreaded "case study" process. I was given 15 minutes to go over a case study and any company policies that related to the "client's" problem, then we went over my answers and finished with an example phone call with the client who was really the interviewer. Going over answers was easy, but the pretend call was nerve wracking and, quite frankly, silly, in my opinion. It is supposed to test how you handle things but really, there's no way anyone could expertly handle the call because you haven't been through training yet.

Interview Questions
    • The case study. It has a purpose, but really should be eliminated because it's a bit of an inaccurate way to assess potential candidates.   View Answer

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through college and got contacted within a week to schedule a phone interview. Process was fairly simply and quick. During the phone interview, they asked some basic questions regarding your resume and what you know about vanguard.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

Referred by a friend who is familiar with Vanguard. After submitting resume and online application, had a phone interview within 2 weeks.

Phone interview is easy enough as long as you can be clear about your thoughts and experiences. Must have ability to be calm and professional over the phone while building raport with recruiter.
    Will invite you for a recruitment day at a prearranged date. Vanguard pays for transportation, food and lodging.

Had one month after phone interview to prepare.
    Interviewed in Valley Forge, PA.

Interview day began in the morning and ended around 2pm (3-4 hours)

Brought to a conference room with 8 other candidates. Began with introduction to Vanguard as a company. Covered history, structure, investment philosophies and positions available. Candidates are asked for questions about company. Must have a few in order to stand out.

Afterwards, met with hiring staff one on one to complete two stages of interviews. My first was the role-playing scenario. I am, personally, comfortable doing this. I would suggest practicing with a friend or mentor beforehand. Presented with a case study and required to use information provided to address a situation with a client. This is done out of character, simply had to verbalize strategy for addressing clients needs within a certain amount of time. Asked also to prioritize several tasks after handling client.

Role playing was easy and casual. Imitated a phone call with another client and given time to read a short story of their situation and how to handle their requests. SHOW EMPATHY!!! If "client" says they are about to be married, be excited for them and congratulate them. If there is a death in the family, show consolation and handle them gently.

The next stage was another one-on-one interview with a different hiring manager. reiterate experiences and what brought you to Vanguard and why you have chosen to interview with them. Asked a dozen or so behavioral questions (STAR Method is imperative). Use specific examples from work/school/sports/what ever. Highlighting interactions with customers and coworkers is also essential.

Finally, all the candidates were brought into a room for a final presentation on benefits, the Vanguard campus and what ways you can get involved with the community.

Vanguard will shuttle you back to the airport/bus station/what ever

Interview Questions
    • Being able to speak genuinely about why you want to be a part of Vanguard is the most essential thing. Discussing differences between Vanguard and their competitors, what about Vanguard that you find unique and desirable, and having anecdotes that highlight customer service are all essential. If you study STAR method interviewing beforehand, no one of the questions will be difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through university. Was scheduled a one on one interview on campus which was behavioral based. Asked specifically what an ETF, Bond, Stock, and Mutual Fund are.

Was called back within a week to schedule an onsite interview. The second interview consisted of a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy, they just want to know that the customer is your first priority. The role play was a mock phone call with a customer who did not know what to do with her investments, and you had to guide her in a direction based on her concerns.

Interview Questions
    • what type of investment should a person make based on risk   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Had an initial phone interview with an HR representative. Discussed my skills and interests as well as job tasks. I was expecting a more technical and less sales oriented role.