Vanguard

Average Difficulty
72 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – They will schedule a phone interview first. They will ask you "what is a bond,eft, mutual fund?" "What are vanguard values?" "What makes vanguard different?" "How do you build rapport with clients" "what's going on in the financial news today?" "How do you keep up with the financial news/ what kind of financial literacy do you read?". If you do good, then they will call you in for an in person interview. There is 2 parts and it will last 4 hours. 1 part is the behavioral questions part. BEWARE. Vanguard likes the STAR FORMAT. Make sure you plan out what you are going to say. Next part is the mock phone call. They will give you a scenario can leave out of the room for 15 minutes. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SHOW EMPATHY. They want to know that you can be diplomatic to an upset client or even a happy client. Normally it takes about 1 wk until they let you know if they want to hire you or not.

Interview Question – How do you build rapport with a client.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. It pays $40,000 for the client relationship specialist position.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Brief phone interview where they asked why vanguard?, what's an ETF?, difference between stock and bond, recent financial news you read about, etc.

FOUR (!) hour in person interview which could have easily been cut in half. First and last hour are just them talking to you about the company/benefits. Middle two hours are role play and behavioral questions, but those both go by fast so you're sitting there waiting around a ton. Towards the end, they had us sitting in a room wasting our time watching a 6 minute video about their crappy on-campus gym. WHO CARES?!

I didn't get the job because of course they threw some curveball question at me that I didn't have a scripted answer for (Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?)

Honestly thankful I didn't receive an offer because I wasn't impressed by the cult-like culture and it just seems like one giant call center. If you decide to work here, I would get your licenses and move on ASAP.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?   Answer Question

Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Very prompt in response to an initial application submitted; conducted a simple phone screen with some basic questions and then some behavioral interview questions. Invited on the spot to participate in an interview on the campus. Interview on campus was about 4 hours long. First session was an introduction to the company, second was a behavioral question interview, third was a phone call role play, fourth was a closing session from an HR representative who candidly answered questions. HR was very responsive and helpful throughout the whole process, they have a great system for hiring and response time for each stage was unbelievable! It was definitely important to show that you were intelligent and competent, but just as importantly that you were good at dealing with people from all walks of life- especially when you aren't talking to them face-to-face but instead are communicating over the phone.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had to make a decision without having all of the information.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The whole day would've been on phones and there was not a lot of room for creativity in the position. The office space looked very cramped from what I could find online. Seemed like a fancy title for customer service and wanted something more dimensional and different from day-to-day.

Charlotte, NC

I interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of an initial phone interview which lasted about 30 minutes and then an interview at Vanguard. The phone interview was easy with behavioral questions while the the interview at Vanguard lasted about 4 hours total. I interviewed with 2 different people at Vangaurd and it consisted of behavioral questions and a case study

Interview Question – The case study K   Answer Question

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details – Submitted a resume at a college job fair, received an e-mail to set up a phone interview ~5 months afterward. Phone interview asked typical questions (why vanguard, what is mutual fund/index fund/ETF, how do you keep up with financial news). Interviewer was very nice and understanding of when I was unsure of the answer to a technical question. Recommended me to check out about.vanguard.com in preparation for the in-person interview.

Interview Question – What makes Vanguard different from other fund management companies?   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview that wasn't too difficult, mainly asking about what you know about the company and asking you to go more in depth about your background. Then I was asked to fly down to Scottsdale, AZ for an in person interview in which they paid for the airfare, hotel room and limo service. That was all pretty sweet and a very nice touch. The actual in person interview had two separate components, a standard behavioral interview, and a more difficult role playing interview. The role playing interview was based off of a potential situation/problem you could encounter with a client. In my case someone in our company had messed up an account that a high net worth client had wanted to set up, and the result was that he couldn't contribute money to it for the previous tax year. Thus the client got angry, and it was my job to make sure we didn't lose the client. You get to read about the situation for a few minutes, and then the role playing starts, so it takes good reading retention and creativity in dealing with an irate client.

Interview Question – annoying behavioral interview questions like tell us a hurdle you had in your life, and how you overcame it. Also the role playing interview was pretty different from a standard interview.   Answer Question

Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in November 2013.

Interview Details – A long interview process starting on the phone for an hour conversation. If it all goes well you are asked to visit the headquarters for another interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about recent financial news?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

Interview Details – I gave the recruiters a resume at my college career fair and they called me a couple weeks later to set up a phone interview. I felt that it went well and they said they said they would get back to me within 5 days. I ended up not getting another interview.

Interview Question – They asked me what i knew about FINRA.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through Vanguard website and then received an email from human resources to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic. The recruiter asked me about my education and work experience and then asked a couple of behavioral questions. After this interview I was asked to fly out to their Scottsdale office for an in person interview. This consisted of around 15 behavioral questions and a case study.

Interview Question – Describe the difference between a money market fund, a fixed income fund, and a equity fund.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted to pursue other options.

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – First round is a phone interview lasting about 45 mins. Know how to respond to behavioral questions in the STAR method. Also, know some financial current events. Know what the difference between a mutual fund and an ETF are. Also, Know what an index fund is, the difference between fixed income and equities. Basic technical questions and easy behavioral for customer satisfaction questions.

Reason for Declining – Location was very far from me. Pay is very low compared to competitors.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard Videos

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard Client Relationship Specialist interview questions and advice. All 72 interview reviews posted anonymously by Vanguard employees and interview candidates.