Vanguard Client Relationship Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Not too stressful. They try to prepare you before the interview to have outstanding stories of how you helped a client thru difficult situations, etc. These stories are meant to portray how you react in certain situations, whether you are abrasive/caring/indifferent etc. Overall great experience. You meet with one individual, then a dual interview with a role play assignment.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you tried to sell a customer something they didn't want"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

I emailed my resume to their HR department because I was interested in the client relationship specialist role. I was emailed fairly quickly to set up a time for a phone interview. They called promptly the time I set up and we talked for nearly 45 minutes. I have really no opinion of the company because I did not get a yes or no answer. Just nothing.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between and ETF, mutual fund, and IRA.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Applied online and received request for phone interview a few days later. Lasted almost the full hour-asked questions about resume and past work experiences, followed by questions using the STAR format (tell me about a time you showed leadership, handled a situation with a difficult customer/client). Then went into a couple financial market questions, difference between stock/bond, ETF/mutual fund, what current market issues interest me or would effect Vanguard. Recruiter asked to set up next interview right on the spot. On campus interview lasted about 5 hours. 1st hour was an introduction of the company, 2nd hour was with a manager asking questions around resume and past experience, again used the STAR format. Be sure to have past examples of work history, practice beforehand so your able to get as specific as possible. 3rd hour spent with another manager who went through the case study. Allowed 15 minutes to review scenario, retain, and an answer a series of questions. Basically looking at your ability to listen, understand, empathize, and react on the fly. Read carefully, write notes down if necessary, and just take it slow. Next part of the case study provided about 5 minutes where we then led into a mock phone call. Definitely not easy because you don't know what is going to be asked, but again, empathize, use basic financial knowledge, and take it slow. Last hour was an overview of company benefits which are awesome. Waited a (long!) week to receive offer! Accepted, no negotiating but didn't feel like I had too.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, great benefits

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

It was super relaxed. I applied for the job and a recruiter got back to me about two weeks later. He emailed me asking for some times when we could chat on the phone. We then set up a time and he called. The interview took about half an hour. He asked very simple questions.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, heard back a day later for a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about ten minutes. Knew I bombed it right away. Very hard. But it was also my first interview ever so I was very nervous

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

Emailed resume, got a call a few days later. I had a 20min phone interview. Then was called to interview in Malvern. 1 on 1 then case study followed by a mock customer call. Learn basics of finance and how to treat a disgruntled customer.

Interview Questions

• STAR interview questions, tell me a time that you....   1 Answer

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in June 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screening and then was invited for a second interview. The interview was very standoff-ish and the job sounds nothing like the description written online. Second interview is all day case study and in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Define what a stock, bond, money market fund and ETF is respectively.   Answer Question
    • How does your experience on your resume correlate with this job description?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Vanguard (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Easy. Lots of "look at us we are so great". You're interviewed by a random Team Leader they are usually very friendly. The interview process is super easy. You might do a role play of a typical phone situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online via Vanguard Career Site. Three days later I was contacted by a recruiter through email inviting me to participate in a phone interview, which lasted approximately 50 minutes. I was invited, during this call, to an onsite interview, which lasted about 4 hours. The process moved along quickly. The environment onsite was warm and friendly and they made you feel relaxed and welcomed.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were faced with an upset customer and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview after applying online. After my recruiter invited me to an on-campus interview, she was extremely helpful and told me everything I needed to prepare for. After going there last week I thought the behavioral interview wasn't too difficult and the case study was harder than I had anticipated.