Vanguard

Average Difficulty
75 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Several hour long interview. Require you to cite experiences in which you went the extra mile and thought outside the box if you want to get hired. Customer service experience is a big plus.

Interview Question – A case study regarding an angry high net worth customer. Requires you to think critically and not just say what you think they want to hear (because it's probably not what they actually wanted to hear anyway).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate for an entry level position at a world class mutual fund institution. Just getting in and getting my Series 7 passed was enough for me to take the job. The experience for your resume is invaluable, and although the salary+bonuses are modest (40-50k), the benefits are awesome. Incredible retirement plan, Medical-Dental-Optical for $62 a month. They pay 88% of insurance costs.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Application to final interview process took about 3 weeks. I was contacted by a recruiter immediately after completing application. We set up a time for a 30 min phone interview. Phone interview is basic: questions about background, current job duties, Vanguard knowledge, etc. I was offered an in-person interview over the phone after our discussion.

In-person interview consisted of 4 one hour segments. First hour: discussed Vanguard's history and openly asked candidates what they knew about the company. Second hour: behavioral interview discussing background and experience. Expect about 8-10 STAR interview questions and was asked to describe the difference between a mutual fund and a ETF. Additionally, I was asked about current events in the financial industry. Third hour: case study with 4 follow up questions and then a follow up role play. They are looking to see how you handle problems and your steps to resolve issue. My case study involved a angry customer who needed a new closed fund set up before the end of the day. He had worked with another associate a couple weeks prior and they had overlooked a missing signature required and had not informed the customer. You must remedy the situation. Role play was a play-off from the case-study: same customer, trying to set up IRA for daughter including prior year tax contributions however daughter did not sign required paperwork. Last hour: group lecture about benefits and your of campus

Interview Question – Typical STAR questions and know the difference between a mutual fund, index fund, ETF, etc.   Answer Question

Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

Interview Details – Referred through a contact who set me up with the interview. Behavioral questions on the phone, took about 30 minutes or so. Use the STAR method when answering the questions, as this is what they're looking for.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed necessarily. How did you handle it and make sure that the task was still carried out in the best manner possible.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – They will schedule a phone interview first. They will ask you "what is a bond,eft, mutual fund?" "What are vanguard values?" "What makes vanguard different?" "How do you build rapport with clients" "what's going on in the financial news today?" "How do you keep up with the financial news/ what kind of financial literacy do you read?". If you do good, then they will call you in for an in person interview. There is 2 parts and it will last 4 hours. 1 part is the behavioral questions part. BEWARE. Vanguard likes the STAR FORMAT. Make sure you plan out what you are going to say. Next part is the mock phone call. They will give you a scenario can leave out of the room for 15 minutes. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SHOW EMPATHY. They want to know that you can be diplomatic to an upset client or even a happy client. Normally it takes about 1 wk until they let you know if they want to hire you or not.

Interview Question – How do you build rapport with a client.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. It pays $40,000 for the client relationship specialist position.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Brief phone interview where they asked why vanguard?, what's an ETF?, difference between stock and bond, recent financial news you read about, etc.

FOUR (!) hour in person interview which could have easily been cut in half. First and last hour are just them talking to you about the company/benefits. Middle two hours are role play and behavioral questions, but those both go by fast so you're sitting there waiting around a ton. Towards the end, they had us sitting in a room wasting our time watching a 6 minute video about their crappy on-campus gym. WHO CARES?!

I didn't get the job because of course they threw some curveball question at me that I didn't have a scripted answer for (Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?)

Honestly thankful I didn't receive an offer because I wasn't impressed by the cult-like culture and it just seems like one giant call center. If you decide to work here, I would get your licenses and move on ASAP.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?   Answer Question

Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Very prompt in response to an initial application submitted; conducted a simple phone screen with some basic questions and then some behavioral interview questions. Invited on the spot to participate in an interview on the campus. Interview on campus was about 4 hours long. First session was an introduction to the company, second was a behavioral question interview, third was a phone call role play, fourth was a closing session from an HR representative who candidly answered questions. HR was very responsive and helpful throughout the whole process, they have a great system for hiring and response time for each stage was unbelievable! It was definitely important to show that you were intelligent and competent, but just as importantly that you were good at dealing with people from all walks of life- especially when you aren't talking to them face-to-face but instead are communicating over the phone.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had to make a decision without having all of the information.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The whole day would've been on phones and there was not a lot of room for creativity in the position. The office space looked very cramped from what I could find online. Seemed like a fancy title for customer service and wanted something more dimensional and different from day-to-day.

Charlotte, NC

I interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of an initial phone interview which lasted about 30 minutes and then an interview at Vanguard. The phone interview was easy with behavioral questions while the the interview at Vanguard lasted about 4 hours total. I interviewed with 2 different people at Vangaurd and it consisted of behavioral questions and a case study

Interview Question – The case study K   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview that wasn't too difficult, mainly asking about what you know about the company and asking you to go more in depth about your background. Then I was asked to fly down to Scottsdale, AZ for an in person interview in which they paid for the airfare, hotel room and limo service. That was all pretty sweet and a very nice touch. The actual in person interview had two separate components, a standard behavioral interview, and a more difficult role playing interview. The role playing interview was based off of a potential situation/problem you could encounter with a client. In my case someone in our company had messed up an account that a high net worth client had wanted to set up, and the result was that he couldn't contribute money to it for the previous tax year. Thus the client got angry, and it was my job to make sure we didn't lose the client. You get to read about the situation for a few minutes, and then the role playing starts, so it takes good reading retention and creativity in dealing with an irate client.

Interview Question – annoying behavioral interview questions like tell us a hurdle you had in your life, and how you overcame it. Also the role playing interview was pretty different from a standard interview.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details – Submitted a resume at a college job fair, received an e-mail to set up a phone interview ~5 months afterward. Phone interview asked typical questions (why vanguard, what is mutual fund/index fund/ETF, how do you keep up with financial news). Interviewer was very nice and understanding of when I was unsure of the answer to a technical question. Recommended me to check out about.vanguard.com in preparation for the in-person interview.

Interview Question – What makes Vanguard different from other fund management companies?   Answer Question

Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in November 2013.

Interview Details – A long interview process starting on the phone for an hour conversation. If it all goes well you are asked to visit the headquarters for another interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about recent financial news?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!