Vanguard Client Relationship Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014

3.2

81 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through university. Was scheduled a one on one interview on campus which was behavioral based. Asked specifically what an ETF, Bond, Stock, and Mutual Fund are.

Was called back within a week to schedule an onsite interview. The second interview consisted of a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy, they just want to know that the customer is your first priority. The role play was a mock phone call with a customer who did not know what to do with her investments, and you had to guide her in a direction based on her concerns.

Interview Questions
  • what type of investment should a person make based on risk   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Had an initial phone interview with an HR representative. Discussed my skills and interests as well as job tasks. I was expecting a more technical and less sales oriented role.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Very thorough process study all glassdoor questions and for roleplay make sure you show EMPATHY, they will give you a scenario where the client is pregnant or has a loss in the family and they expect you to address it

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you had to build a relationship with a client?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

Great relationship built with recruiter and enjoyable process. Group interview over 4 hours which includes one-on-one interview, case study, and quick role play. Detailed overview on company and benefits too. Questions typical, but really looking for firm examples.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example when you had to re prioritize your tasks and how did you figure out/rate tasks in order of importance?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

First round phone interview: Basic knowledge of financial industry is necessary, asks about ETF vs. Mutual fund, index funds, and stocks vs. bonds. Asks typical STAR behavioral questions during second half of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why have you chosen to seek jobs in the financial industry   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied for the job online and received an email to set up phone interview. A couple days after the phone interview I was scheduled for in person interview which consisted of 3 interviews and small case study. Questions and case study were as expected, very straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • STAR format situational and behavioral questions. Give me an example of a time where you had to be very flexible to achieve something.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Several hour long interview. Require you to cite experiences in which you went the extra mile and thought outside the box if you want to get hired. Customer service experience is a big plus.

Interview Questions
    • A case study regarding an angry high net worth customer. Requires you to think critically and not just say what you think they want to hear (because it's probably not what they actually wanted to hear anyway).   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate for an entry level position at a world class mutual fund institution. Just getting in and getting my Series 7 passed was enough for me to take the job. The experience for your resume is invaluable, and although the salary+bonuses are modest (40-50k), the benefits are awesome. Incredible retirement plan, Medical-Dental-Optical for $62 a month. They pay 88% of insurance costs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Application to final interview process took about 3 weeks. I was contacted by a recruiter immediately after completing application. We set up a time for a 30 min phone interview. Phone interview is basic: questions about background, current job duties, Vanguard knowledge, etc. I was offered an in-person interview over the phone after our discussion.

In-person interview consisted of 4 one hour segments. First hour: discussed Vanguard's history and openly asked candidates what they knew about the company. Second hour: behavioral interview discussing background and experience. Expect about 8-10 STAR interview questions and was asked to describe the difference between a mutual fund and a ETF. Additionally, I was asked about current events in the financial industry. Third hour: case study with 4 follow up questions and then a follow up role play. They are looking to see how you handle problems and your steps to resolve issue. My case study involved a angry customer who needed a new closed fund set up before the end of the day. He had worked with another associate a couple weeks prior and they had overlooked a missing signature required and had not informed the customer. You must remedy the situation. Role play was a play-off from the case-study: same customer, trying to set up IRA for daughter including prior year tax contributions however daughter did not sign required paperwork. Last hour: group lecture about benefits and your of campus

Interview Questions
    • Typical STAR questions and know the difference between a mutual fund, index fund, ETF, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

They will schedule a phone interview first. They will ask you "what is a bond,eft, mutual fund?" "What are vanguard values?" "What makes vanguard different?" "How do you build rapport with clients" "what's going on in the financial news today?" "How do you keep up with the financial news/ what kind of financial literacy do you read?". If you do good, then they will call you in for an in person interview. There is 2 parts and it will last 4 hours. 1 part is the behavioral questions part. BEWARE. Vanguard likes the STAR FORMAT. Make sure you plan out what you are going to say. Next part is the mock phone call. They will give you a scenario can leave out of the room for 15 minutes. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SHOW EMPATHY. They want to know that you can be diplomatic to an upset client or even a happy client. Normally it takes about 1 wk until they let you know if they want to hire you or not.

Interview Questions
    • How do you build rapport with a client.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. It pays $40,000 for the client relationship specialist position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

Referred through a contact who set me up with the interview. Behavioral questions on the phone, took about 30 minutes or so. Use the STAR method when answering the questions, as this is what they're looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed necessarily. How did you handle it and make sure that the task was still carried out in the best manner possible.   Answer Question