Vanguard Client Relationship Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.1

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

They asked a lot of STAR(situation, task, action, result) format questions a bunch of "tell me about a time..." then there was a Mock Phone call in which they gave an article to read on 'company policies' and how to explain that to a client

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you had to deal with an unhappy client, and how did you deal with it?" " What is the difference between a stock and a bond?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

After I submitted my resume online they contacted me a couple days later and set up a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty easy. It lasted about 25 min and included a couple questions about Vanguard and its structure (Client Based Structure) and then a couple behavioral based questions such as "tell me about a time you had to think outside the box." After the phone interview, if you pass, they immediately ask to set up an in person interview. All interviews are done on Fridays so plan accordingly. The in-person interview process was by far the most in depth one I have had thus far. There were 12 people, including myself, that were interviewing for the job. The day started with an initial presentation on Vanguard and who they are. Candidates were asked to share their knowledge of what they know about Vanguard. The floor was then open for any questions. While I do believe its good to have questions to ask to show your interest, don't force it. Some people were asking questions about how to transfer to other departments later, which came across as somewhat arrogant considering they haven't even gotten this job yet. After the initial gathering we split off to do our interviews. The interviews took place in the cafeteria and everyone was given their own separate table where interviewers then came to greet them. My first interview involved a case study. It essentially gives you a story about a client that wants to do a certain transaction, but has a couple problems pertaining to this transaction which makes it unable to be completed. Your job is to identify all the problems and prioritize what should be fixed first, second, third, etc. Then there was a question of what characteristics are needed to adequately address the issues presented. There were 5 questions total I believe, but I can't recall all of them; you have 15 minutes to read and answer so work quickly/efficiently. Since this takes place in the cafeteria where a lot of other people are talking, be prepared to work with substantial background noise. The second part of the first interview included a mock phone call with the same client from the case study. In this scenario it is your job to listen and address the concerns of the client. They will include a specific life event in this mock interview and it is imperative that you acknowledge it and be empathetic. Additionally, in my mock phone call the client asked for suggestions on investing. They said they are more conservative so I recommended a couple mutual funds. After the end of the phone call the interviewer asks what you would do differently in the mock, and then asks you to rate your performance out of 10. The second interview involved about 10 behavioral based questions, which as others stated on this site, must be answered in STAR format. Please prepare yourself accordingly for these. Use all the different questions supplied on this site to help you. That's what I did and it really did make me feel comfortable answering during the interview. Make up experiences if you have to, just make sure you remember! After the interviews, we reconvened in the same room where the initial presentation took place and went over the benefits offered at Vanguard. After that final presentation we were free to leave. Go into this interview confident and trust the preparation you did; that is the best advice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had a problem with a manager/supervisor and what you did to turn it around to have a better relationship going forward.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a current financial trend that interests you.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Applied online on their careers page. Received a call to set up a phone interview within a few days for the following Monday. Phone interview was more difficult and in depth than I expected but I did well enough to get a second in-person interview. Second interview is a four hour process, two different presentations about Vanguard and two hour long one on one interviews with two different company managers.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you know about stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and ETF's. What are the differences between each?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

phone interview first and then an all day interview event. They first provide a presentation of the company then they place you with the people that will be interviewing you. The first half is a behavioral part and the second half is a case study.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

I emailed my resume to their HR department because I was interested in the client relationship specialist role. I was emailed fairly quickly to set up a time for a phone interview. They called promptly the time I set up and we talked for nearly 45 minutes. I have really no opinion of the company because I did not get a yes or no answer. Just nothing.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between and ETF, mutual fund, and IRA.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Not too stressful. They try to prepare you before the interview to have outstanding stories of how you helped a client thru difficult situations, etc. These stories are meant to portray how you react in certain situations, whether you are abrasive/caring/indifferent etc. Overall great experience. You meet with one individual, then a dual interview with a role play assignment.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you tried to sell a customer something they didn't want"   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard in July 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was very easy. But the face to face interview was a little more harder. The hardest part was the role play. Make sure you know what stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and eft funds are. And a current situation going on in marketing right now.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were in a difficult situation. What did you do to overcome that situation and what was the result?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard in July 2015.

Interview

Recruiter called to schedule a phone interview for the following week. I felt well prepared and answered the anticipated questions competently. Was told I would hear back by late the following week. Was never contacted, so I contacted recruiter who informed me at that time that they were moving on with other candidates.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Applied online and received request for phone interview a few days later. Lasted almost the full hour-asked questions about resume and past work experiences, followed by questions using the STAR format (tell me about a time you showed leadership, handled a situation with a difficult customer/client). Then went into a couple financial market questions, difference between stock/bond, ETF/mutual fund, what current market issues interest me or would effect Vanguard. Recruiter asked to set up next interview right on the spot. On campus interview lasted about 5 hours. 1st hour was an introduction of the company, 2nd hour was with a manager asking questions around resume and past experience, again used the STAR format. Be sure to have past examples of work history, practice beforehand so your able to get as specific as possible. 3rd hour spent with another manager who went through the case study. Allowed 15 minutes to review scenario, retain, and an answer a series of questions. Basically looking at your ability to listen, understand, empathize, and react on the fly. Read carefully, write notes down if necessary, and just take it slow. Next part of the case study provided about 5 minutes where we then led into a mock phone call. Definitely not easy because you don't know what is going to be asked, but again, empathize, use basic financial knowledge, and take it slow. Last hour was an overview of company benefits which are awesome. Waited a (long!) week to receive offer! Accepted, no negotiating but didn't feel like I had too.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, great benefits

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

It was super relaxed. I applied for the job and a recruiter got back to me about two weeks later. He emailed me asking for some times when we could chat on the phone. We then set up a time and he called. The interview took about half an hour. He asked very simple questions.