Vanguard Client Service Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

All STAR format questions. They have a script that they basically go through. Did not stray off course of interview questions at all. No small talk just immediately asked about "A time when..." A time when you built a relationship with a customer etc.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. Asked STAR based questions. It really helps to prepare with scenarios first. Have some knowledge of the company. Very nice and informative interviewer. Seemed like a great place to work

Already found something

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Pretty typical first round interview, have some base knowledge about what is going on in the market and how mutual funds, index funds and ETF's operate. Once they fly you out it is about 2 hours of interviews and 2 hours of information on the company. 1 hour is behavioral based and asks different questions along the lines of "When have you been in the position that showed ________ and what was the result?" the other hour is a case study putting you in a situation you would face when you start on the phones. Your interviewer acts as the client and will try to make you flustered. Fairly easy and very basic, just be personable and genuine.

Interview Questions

• Kept on asking questions about past experiences dealing with clients, we're all college students so no one has legitimate experience thus its hard to come up with examples.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Dropped off resume and application. Receiced a phone call and scheduled first interveiw. A second interveiw was arranged a week later. Received offer a week later.

Interview Questions

• The questions were simular in regards to prior client service experience. They did not ask about investment knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an interview on site. The interview consists of a case study/situational question. There are also questions that are in the STAR format, situation, task, action and result. Many questions about tell me a time when... tell us a time where you had to... etc etc. Asked about current market news you were following and what interests you about finance.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you had to work with a difficult teammate and how did you overcome this obstacle.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Received an invitation for a phone interview one week after applying online.

Interview Questions

• What is a series 7 license? Why do you want to work for Vanguard?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in August 2013.

Interview

Started the process with a 30 minute screening phone call. Couple of days later had a phone interview that lasted about an hour. Finally was scheduled to come to their campus for an on-site in-person interview that lasted four hours. Was with a group of nine other people. Various ages and backgrounds. Had two 1-hour interviews. First was a roleplay scenario and a case study that I found to be easy. Just use common customer service and pay attention to clients needs. Next was behavioral questions for an hour which I hated.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you didn't agree with your boss. How did you handle it   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, but was offered the highest possible salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in March 2013.

Interview

Real easy, all STAR questions, answer every questions with situation, task, action, result. Rigid format, but easy interview. They take people from all backgrounds, don't need to have finance degree. Just stay confident and prepare with multiple scenarios that can be used interchangeably, team situations, talking to irate customers, etc.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in April 2012.

Interview

Started with an initial phone interview lasting about 45 minutes. Got invited for a half day of touring the facilities and interviews. The interviews consisted of a 1 on 1, then with two other people that presented a case for me to answer. The case was very easy. My biggest issue was that they asked so many behavioral questions I started to run out of things to say.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2012.

Interview

First I had a telephone interview and then had a interview in person with a case competition. The entire process was a pleasure up until I contacted HR to follow up with the position. I received zero response from a thank you letter as well as a follow up letter. Three weeks later I was notified I did not receive the position by mail.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a previous job where you had a confrontation with a client?   Answer Question