Vanguard

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Service Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2010.

Interview Details – They contacted me by email from some internet job site. First a phone interview then a panel interview with STAR questions. The interviewers were a team leader and a principal, the team leaders boss.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you disagreed with your boss? Explain how you answer a question you do not know the answer to? Where do you get you business news from?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, fixed offer

Very Easy Interview

Client Service Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Vanguard in November 2010.

Interview Details – Very pleasant and non-threatening initial contact. Pleasant interview process. One interviewer asked if working in a call center would be a deterrent. Extremely easy interview with minimal questions - probably a tip-off as to how desperate the company was to hire with minimal experience in this field.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in April 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through university right after college. They contacted me for a phone interview with an HR manager. Mostly discussed my prior internships and why I was interested in working in finance. After the initial phone interview, I went on site to have an interview with two managers. One was set to my boss directly, and the other was the department head.

Interview Question – Interview was not terribly difficult.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Client Service Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Dropped off resume and application. Receiced a phone call and scheduled first interveiw. A second interveiw was arranged a week later. Received offer a week later.

Interview Question – The questions were simular in regards to prior client service experience. They did not ask about investment knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating

Client Service Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Received an invitation for a phone interview one week after applying online.

Interview Question – What is a series 7 license? Why do you want to work for Vanguard?   View Answer

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2013.

Interview Details – Started the process with a 30 minute screening phone call. Couple of days later had a phone interview that lasted about an hour. Finally was scheduled to come to their campus for an on-site in-person interview that lasted four hours. Was with a group of nine other people. Various ages and backgrounds. Had two 1-hour interviews. First was a roleplay scenario and a case study that I found to be easy. Just use common customer service and pay attention to clients needs. Next was behavioral questions for an hour which I hated.

Interview Question – Name a time when you didn't agree with your boss. How did you handle it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but was offered the highest possible salary

Malvern, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2009.

Interview Details – They don't really tell you what the job is, they just make it sound so great because it is client facing, when in realty you are working in a call center. They don't tell you about the other opportunities within the company and it all seems like a mystery.

Interview Question – They want you to know the whole history of the company and mutual fund industry. They don't give business cards so it is impossible to have a follow-up thank you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They would not negotiate with me it all, it was a take it or leave it offer.

Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2011.

Interview Details – Vanguard mostly uses the STAR type interview questions. So its "Tell me a time when" Or "Describe a situation when" questions. They want you to put it into STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result.

Interview Question – Unfortunately I don't remember the questions because its been a while since I've interviewed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really any negotiation. It was a "take it or leave it" type offer.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in April 2012.

Interview Details – Started with an initial phone interview lasting about 45 minutes. Got invited for a half day of touring the facilities and interviews. The interviews consisted of a 1 on 1, then with two other people that presented a case for me to answer. The case was very easy. My biggest issue was that they asked so many behavioral questions I started to run out of things to say.

Interview Question – More behavioral questions then you can think of.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2012.

Interview Details – First I had a telephone interview and then had a interview in person with a case competition. The entire process was a pleasure up until I contacted HR to follow up with the position. I received zero response from a thank you letter as well as a follow up letter. Three weeks later I was notified I did not receive the position by mail.

Interview Question – Please describe a previous job where you had a confrontation with a client?   Answer Question

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!