Vanguard Client Service Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Pretty typical first round interview, have some base knowledge about what is going on in the market and how mutual funds, index funds and ETF's operate. Once they fly you out it is about 2 hours of interviews and 2 hours of information on the company. 1 hour is behavioral based and asks different questions along the lines of "When have you been in the position that showed ________ and what was the result?" the other hour is a case study putting you in a situation you would face when you start on the phones. Your interviewer acts as the client and will try to make you flustered. Fairly easy and very basic, just be personable and genuine.

Interview Questions

• Kept on asking questions about past experiences dealing with clients, we're all college students so no one has legitimate experience thus its hard to come up with examples.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Dropped off resume and application. Receiced a phone call and scheduled first interveiw. A second interveiw was arranged a week later. Received offer a week later.

Interview Questions

• The questions were simular in regards to prior client service experience. They did not ask about investment knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Received an invitation for a phone interview one week after applying online.

Interview Questions

• What is a series 7 license? Why do you want to work for Vanguard?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in August 2013.

Interview

Started the process with a 30 minute screening phone call. Couple of days later had a phone interview that lasted about an hour. Finally was scheduled to come to their campus for an on-site in-person interview that lasted four hours. Was with a group of nine other people. Various ages and backgrounds. Had two 1-hour interviews. First was a roleplay scenario and a case study that I found to be easy. Just use common customer service and pay attention to clients needs. Next was behavioral questions for an hour which I hated.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you didn't agree with your boss. How did you handle it   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, but was offered the highest possible salary

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in April 2012.

Interview

Started with an initial phone interview lasting about 45 minutes. Got invited for a half day of touring the facilities and interviews. The interviews consisted of a 1 on 1, then with two other people that presented a case for me to answer. The case was very easy. My biggest issue was that they asked so many behavioral questions I started to run out of things to say.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2012.

Interview

First I had a telephone interview and then had a interview in person with a case competition. The entire process was a pleasure up until I contacted HR to follow up with the position. I received zero response from a thank you letter as well as a follow up letter. Three weeks later I was notified I did not receive the position by mail.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a previous job where you had a confrontation with a client?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in August 2011.

Interview

Vanguard mostly uses the STAR type interview questions. So its "Tell me a time when" Or "Describe a situation when" questions. They want you to put it into STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result.

Interview Questions

• Unfortunately I don't remember the questions because its been a while since I've interviewed.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really any negotiation. It was a "take it or leave it" type offer.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in August 2011.

Interview

Met with very arrogant call center managers for about two hours. Managers wanted their egos stroked and did not like hearing that getting off the phones and into real asset management was a long term goal of mine. Luckily I was not hired at the time and found a higher paying finance job with real career potential.

Interview Questions

• A customer is complaining about an annual service charge. He has $1,000 in his Vanguard account and wants this fee waived. Vanguard waives the fee if he invests over $50,000. What should you do?   1 Answer

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard in November 2010.

Interview

Very pleasant and non-threatening initial contact. Pleasant interview process. One interviewer asked if working in a call center would be a deterrent. Extremely easy interview with minimal questions - probably a tip-off as to how desperate the company was to hire with minimal experience in this field.

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in July 2010.

Interview

They contacted me by email from some internet job site. First a phone interview then a panel interview with STAR questions. The interviewers were a team leader and a principal, the team leaders boss.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you disagreed with your boss? Explain how you answer a question you do not know the answer to? Where do you get you business news from?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation, fixed offer