Vanguard

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Client Service Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Vanguard in November 2010.

Interview Details – Very pleasant and non-threatening initial contact. Pleasant interview process. One interviewer asked if working in a call center would be a deterrent. Extremely easy interview with minimal questions - probably a tip-off as to how desperate the company was to hire with minimal experience in this field.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in April 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through university right after college. They contacted me for a phone interview with an HR manager. Mostly discussed my prior internships and why I was interested in working in finance. After the initial phone interview, I went on site to have an interview with two managers. One was set to my boss directly, and the other was the department head.

Interview Question – Interview was not terribly difficult.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Client Service Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Dropped off resume and application. Receiced a phone call and scheduled first interveiw. A second interveiw was arranged a week later. Received offer a week later.

Interview Question – The questions were simular in regards to prior client service experience. They did not ask about investment knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating

Client Service Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Received an invitation for a phone interview one week after applying online.

Interview Question – What is a series 7 license? Why do you want to work for Vanguard?   View Answer

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2013.

Interview Details – Started the process with a 30 minute screening phone call. Couple of days later had a phone interview that lasted about an hour. Finally was scheduled to come to their campus for an on-site in-person interview that lasted four hours. Was with a group of nine other people. Various ages and backgrounds. Had two 1-hour interviews. First was a roleplay scenario and a case study that I found to be easy. Just use common customer service and pay attention to clients needs. Next was behavioral questions for an hour which I hated.

Interview Question – Name a time when you didn't agree with your boss. How did you handle it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but was offered the highest possible salary

Malvern, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2009.

Interview Details – They don't really tell you what the job is, they just make it sound so great because it is client facing, when in realty you are working in a call center. They don't tell you about the other opportunities within the company and it all seems like a mystery.

Interview Question – They want you to know the whole history of the company and mutual fund industry. They don't give business cards so it is impossible to have a follow-up thank you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They would not negotiate with me it all, it was a take it or leave it offer.

Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2011.

Interview Details – Vanguard mostly uses the STAR type interview questions. So its "Tell me a time when" Or "Describe a situation when" questions. They want you to put it into STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result.

Interview Question – Unfortunately I don't remember the questions because its been a while since I've interviewed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really any negotiation. It was a "take it or leave it" type offer.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in April 2012.

Interview Details – Started with an initial phone interview lasting about 45 minutes. Got invited for a half day of touring the facilities and interviews. The interviews consisted of a 1 on 1, then with two other people that presented a case for me to answer. The case was very easy. My biggest issue was that they asked so many behavioral questions I started to run out of things to say.

Interview Question – More behavioral questions then you can think of.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2012.

Interview Details – First I had a telephone interview and then had a interview in person with a case competition. The entire process was a pleasure up until I contacted HR to follow up with the position. I received zero response from a thank you letter as well as a follow up letter. Three weeks later I was notified I did not receive the position by mail.

Interview Question – Please describe a previous job where you had a confrontation with a client?   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2010.

Interview Details – Good hiring process. Hiring manager was pleasant, very formal. Asked phone interview questions on top of group and one on one interviews. Was introduced to the entire work process early on, and I knew what the job entailed.

Interview Question – What would you do if you had a conflict with a colleague?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard Videos

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard Client Service Associate interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Vanguard employees and interview candidates.