Vanguard Client Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 5, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

I met a representative at a career fair but wasn't able to set up an interview the next day, so she just took my resume. I was emailed later to schedule a phone interview, which was like a normal interview. At the end of the interview, I was asked to go down to Arizona for an interview in person. At that interview, I went through some of the same questions as the phone interview and then did a role play. To be successful, learn everything you can about Vanguard and investments and make customer service a priority in your answers, especially for the role play.

Interview Questions

• What is a bond? What is a mutual fund? What are ETFs? What do you know about Vanguard? Lots of behavioral questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in May 2014.

Interview

While looking over the case study, the interviewers left the room but forgot to use their inside voices and starting making inappropriate comments about an individual's appearance right outside the door. It doesn't really represent the firm well, very unprofessional. Just a little insight as to the type of environment you might find yourself in if you start working for them in retail client account services area. Minorities will finally be grilled in the final presentation and made a spectacle of. They are not trying to hire qualified people, they are looking for drones.

Interview Questions

• A high net worth client who already has had previous issues with his brokerage account and is now trying to establish an IRA for his daughter. A previous rep sends him a pre-filled application for him to review and send back in. The previous rep did not make client privy to the fact that it needed to include his daughters signature. There are 3 days left before the deadline to make a contribution into the IRA towards the previous year for his daughter. To make things worse his daughter is in the middle of a high risk pregnancy and is due any time from now.   1 Answer

Client Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me for a phone interview. Phone interview was basic - experience, resume review and behavioral questions in the STAR response format. The same day the recruiter invited me into Vanguard for the final interview a few weeks after the original phone interview. Once at vanguard they introduced the firm and described their differences than the competitors. Then there were two interviews, one a case study dealing with an upset customer the other was another behavioral interview with STAR format questions. Both on campus interviews were done by people in the client services department.

Weird culture, low pay.

Client Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard in January 2014.

Interview

The phone interview was conducted by a hiring manager who was very energetic. The interview consisted of a few background questions and then a long behavioral question section. The interviewer seemed very interested in goals and aspirations.

Interview Questions

• Will you be happy if you are in this same position in 3 years?   Answer Question

Client Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2014.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter through my school, asking me for a date and time that would work best for a phone interview. I was then flown to there Scottsdale campus for a day of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Name a current financial topic you're interested in? Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2014.

Interview

I had one hour long phone interview before being flown out for an on-site interview. During the on-site interview, I was asked STAR based questions. Also, you are asked to do a role play exercise involving a client calling in.

Interview Questions

• You are given 15 minutes to review a case prior to doing the role play/client call. However, even if you use the context of the case study, they may continue to ask questions in an effort to throw you off. Just say you will see what you can do and call them back.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in July 2013.

Interview

Brief phone interview then I was flown into Scottsdale for 2 interviews and tour with 10 other candidates. Sense they prefer hiring recent college graduates? Was nice they paid for the flight and hotel, picked me up at the airport in a limo as well. Nice touch.

Interview Questions

• Role play was a challenge and depending on the person you are role playing with makes a difference. I kept getting "no" when I provided a solution. If you get a more experienced interviewer be prepared for a tougher role play.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call from an HR rep about a week later. I went in for an interview a week later. The interview was not to difficult. Just make sure to prepare for it by learning as much as you can about Vanguard and the industry itself.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a question about how do I stay current with the financial news.   2 Answers

Negotiation

take or leave it

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone Interview, 4 hour in person interview, didn't get back to me for 5 weeks until I emailed asking about the position. I mentioned the word grumpy when describing a customer in one of the star questions, which led to my interviewer marking someone on another piece of paper (AKA don't do that). They really care about the customer service aspect of your past experiences and how you handle people on the phone. Knowing someone in the company would help.

Interview Questions

• Empathize with customer whose daughter is an expecting single mother and can't pay her bills, father is transferring money to her account.   1 Answer

Client Service Representative Interview

Interview

Straight forward phone interview. Basic questions including describing past experiences. Strengths and weaknesses. What brought you to them, etc. Phone interview took about 20-30 minutes. I did ask about training process and time frame on how long till the decision of hire to start. That was about a week or two. I currently am being considered but looking into other opportunities.

Interview Questions

• List three reasons why you want to work for the company.   1 Answer