Vanguard

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in May 2014.

Interview Details – While looking over the case study, the interviewers left the room but forgot to use their inside voices and starting making inappropriate comments about an individual's appearance right outside the door. It doesn't really represent the firm well, very unprofessional. Just a little insight as to the type of environment you might find yourself in if you start working for them in retail client account services area. Minorities will finally be grilled in the final presentation and made a spectacle of. They are not trying to hire qualified people, they are looking for drones.

Interview Question – A high net worth client who already has had previous issues with his brokerage account and is now trying to establish an IRA for his daughter. A previous rep sends him a pre-filled application for him to review and send back in. The previous rep did not make client privy to the fact that it needed to include his daughters signature. There are 3 days left before the deadline to make a contribution into the IRA towards the previous year for his daughter. To make things worse his daughter is in the middle of a high risk pregnancy and is due any time from now.   View Answer

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had one hour long phone interview before being flown out for an on-site interview. During the on-site interview, I was asked STAR based questions. Also, you are asked to do a role play exercise involving a client calling in.

Interview Question – You are given 15 minutes to review a case prior to doing the role play/client call. However, even if you use the context of the case study, they may continue to ask questions in an effort to throw you off. Just say you will see what you can do and call them back.   Answer Question

Client Services Representative Interview

Client Services Representative
Malvern, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me for a phone interview. Phone interview was basic - experience, resume review and behavioral questions in the STAR response format. The same day the recruiter invited me into Vanguard for the final interview a few weeks after the original phone interview. Once at vanguard they introduced the firm and described their differences than the competitors. Then there were two interviews, one a case study dealing with an upset customer the other was another behavioral interview with STAR format questions. Both on campus interviews were done by people in the client services department.

Reason for Declining – Weird culture, low pay.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Client Services Representative Interview

Client Services Representative
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a recruiter through my school, asking me for a date and time that would work best for a phone interview. I was then flown to there Scottsdale campus for a day of interviews.

Interview Question – Name a current financial topic you're interested in?
Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?
  Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2012.

Interview Details – There was one phone interview and two in person interviews. The interview over the phone was pretty much the same as the one at the office in Scottsdale. There were a lot of situational type questions. What they called them were STAR questions. There was also a case study that they had us do. Basically we read the case and had to act it out. It was like a how would you handle this situation. The interview on their campus took about half a day. They did do a campus tour and a slide show for us.

Interview Question – I thought the interview was pretty difficult.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call from an HR rep about a week later. I went in for an interview a week later. The interview was not to difficult. Just make sure to prepare for it by learning as much as you can about Vanguard and the industry itself.

Interview Question – They asked me a question about how do I stay current with the financial news.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – take or leave it

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in May 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, 4 hour in person interview, didn't get back to me for 5 weeks until I emailed asking about the position. I mentioned the word grumpy when describing a customer in one of the star questions, which led to my interviewer marking someone on another piece of paper (AKA don't do that). They really care about the customer service aspect of your past experiences and how you handle people on the phone. Knowing someone in the company would help.

Interview Question – Empathize with customer whose daughter is an expecting single mother and can't pay her bills, father is transferring money to her account.   View Answer

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2013.

Interview Details – Brief phone interview then I was flown into Scottsdale for 2 interviews and tour with 10 other candidates. Sense they prefer hiring recent college graduates? Was nice they paid for the flight and hotel, picked me up at the airport in a limo as well. Nice touch.

Interview Question – Role play was a challenge and depending on the person you are role playing with makes a difference. I kept getting "no" when I provided a solution. If you get a more experienced interviewer be prepared for a tougher role play.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details – Straight forward phone interview. Basic questions including describing past experiences. Strengths and weaknesses. What brought you to them, etc. Phone interview took about 20-30 minutes. I did ask about training process and time frame on how long till the decision of hire to start. That was about a week or two. I currently am being considered but looking into other opportunities.

Interview Question – List three reasons why you want to work for the company.   View Answer

Valley Forge, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied via the website. It obviously was worded correctly because it got hits on their automated response. I then was contacted by someone from HR to schedule a phone screen/interview. That phone interview lasted around a half and hour. They then asked me if I was available to come in a week later for an interview. The interview consisted of a 1 on 1 and then proceeded by a case study. It was exactly as you'd expect. Behavioral questions for the 1 on 1. The case study was just a matter of issue spotting.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!