Vanguard College to Corporate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vanguard (Hanover, NH) in February 2015.

Interview

I first spoke to a recruiter through an online career event held by my school. The recruiter referred me to another recruiter in the location I was interested. We went through a typical phone screen.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me about my resume and what I know about Vanguard.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

College to Corporate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

First round phone interview- mostly behavioral questions. Second round on site interview- meet with three-four Vanguard employees. One role play scenario which was pretty easy and used to evaluate how you approach and handle the case. Response was very quick- heard back in about a week after second interview.

Interview Questions

• why did you choose to study business over other majors? how did you arrive at your decision to attend the school you are currently at?   Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Phone interview screening. Then you get invited to HQ to interview in person. The process takes about a week from when you have the phone interview until you are invited. Then after interviewing in person, you get notified in 1-2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate someone?
      Tell me a time when you...

Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

Interview

Met with a recruiter on campus and the next day I was contacted to set up an interview on campus. The interview was a 30 minute, strictly behavior interview. Make sure to know the company, specifically the culture, and more importantly answer in STAR format. About three weeks later I received an email letting me know I was invited to an on site interview. The on site interview in Malvern, PA was a superday with about 9 other candidates, most of whom were flown out from schools across the east coast. The day started off with a breakfast and informational session, followed by two one hour back to back STAR interviews, whihch was the toughest part of the day. Then you had a panel with former interns who worked there fulltime and then lunch. After lunch there was a fun group activity where you and the other participants discussed a macroeconomic issue. Overall, the atmosphere was very friendly, and I was really blown away by the culture. About two weeks later, I had been called saying I had received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to motivate a group
      Tell me about a time you tried to teach someone something, but they couldn't get it
      Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with a coworker

1 Answer

College to Corporate Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

I received an email from the recruiter to set up a phone interview. My interview occurred within a week. I was mostly asked about projects on my resume and about the skills that I had (but not actually applying them). It took about 15 minutes. After about 2 weeks, I did not move on to the next round of interviews. The recruiter said the company was primarily looking for college juniors and seniors. I'm currently a sophomore, but she encouraged me to apply again next year.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too crazy.. but just as an example, I was asked what I wanted to do after I graduated.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in March 2013.

Interview

I was introduced to Vanguard through a recruiter on campus. I had a brief phone interview later in the week, followed by an on-campus interview. I was then invited to interview at their Scottsdale office shortly afterwards. Did not receive an offer but great company culture and very professional process.

Interview Questions

• I was asked mostly behavioral/STAR questions. Nothing really unexpected or difficult. Helpful to express particular interest in the company and culture.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Valley Forge, PA).

Interview

Applied online, an alumni from my college works there and helped move my resume along. Phone interview was first some basic questions about why I wanted to work at Vanguard, what was important to me in looking for an employer, and what I might want to do at Vanguard in the future - then it went into STAR questions, talk about your strengths and weaknesses, a time you had to take a leadership position etc etc

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in December 2012.

Interview

I applied online and within a matter of days I received an email from the recruiter asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and the interviewer was very personable. She asked a few behavioral questions but overall just wanted to really get to know me. At the end of the phone interview she told me I made it to the second round and offered me the opportunity to attend an in-person interview at their Charlotte Office.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. The pay was set.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Everyone at Vanguard was extremely friendly and welcoming, from the first HR representative who called me to all of the managers I met at my final interview. The interviews were behavioral and some questions about classes and what you've done at college - how you spend your time. Not a difficult interview, but you still must be prepared with specific examples of things you've accomplished that you can use to respond to the questions. I received an offer within a week of my final interview.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions in the behavioral format where you have to adapt your answers to fit the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, they made me a very solid offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in October 2012.

Interview

I submitted my application online. I wasn't available when they were doing on campus interviews, so my first interview was over the phone with an HR rep. It was pretty standard behavioral questions only. I was then invited for final interviews at Vanguard. It was half a day long. Started with breakfast, followed by 2 hour long interviews, lunch, and then a fun group activity. We were told one of the hour long interviews was technical, but the only questions I was asked were about my technical skills listed on my resume. Most questions were behavioral about leadership experience and working in teams. A lot of "Tell me about a time.. " type questions.

Everyone I encountered was incredibly nice and the atmosphere at Vanguard is very laid back. Because of this the hour long interviews didn't seem like an interview.. more like a fun informative conversation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had several offers on the table and some paid a lot higher than Vanguard. The rate for interns isn't negotiable (I tried).