Vanguard

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was introduced to Vanguard through a recruiter on campus. I had a brief phone interview later in the week, followed by an on-campus interview. I was then invited to interview at their Scottsdale office shortly afterwards. Did not receive an offer but great company culture and very professional process.

Interview Question – I was asked mostly behavioral/STAR questions. Nothing really unexpected or difficult. Helpful to express particular interest in the company and culture.   Answer Question

College to Corporate

I applied through other source and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – I received an email from the recruiter to set up a phone interview. My interview occurred within a week. I was mostly asked about projects on my resume and about the skills that I had (but not actually applying them). It took about 15 minutes. After about 2 weeks, I did not move on to the next round of interviews. The recruiter said the company was primarily looking for college juniors and seniors. I'm currently a sophomore, but she encouraged me to apply again next year.

Interview Question – Nothing too crazy.. but just as an example, I was asked what I wanted to do after I graduated.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied online - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and within a matter of days I received an email from the recruiter asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and the interviewer was very personable. She asked a few behavioral questions but overall just wanted to really get to know me. At the end of the phone interview she told me I made it to the second round and offered me the opportunity to attend an in-person interview at their Charlotte Office.

Interview Question – What was your least favorite course so far and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. The pay was set.

Valley Forge, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Applied online, an alumni from my college works there and helped move my resume along. Phone interview was first some basic questions about why I wanted to work at Vanguard, what was important to me in looking for an employer, and what I might want to do at Vanguard in the future - then it went into STAR questions, talk about your strengths and weaknesses, a time you had to take a leadership position etc etc

Interview Question – Talk about a time you had to motivate a group   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in October 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online. I wasn't available when they were doing on campus interviews, so my first interview was over the phone with an HR rep. It was pretty standard behavioral questions only. I was then invited for final interviews at Vanguard. It was half a day long. Started with breakfast, followed by 2 hour long interviews, lunch, and then a fun group activity. We were told one of the hour long interviews was technical, but the only questions I was asked were about my technical skills listed on my resume. Most questions were behavioral about leadership experience and working in teams. A lot of "Tell me about a time.. " type questions.

Everyone I encountered was incredibly nice and the atmosphere at Vanguard is very laid back. Because of this the hour long interviews didn't seem like an interview.. more like a fun informative conversation.

Interview Question – In your past position, what was your biggest success?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had several offers on the table and some paid a lot higher than Vanguard. The rate for interns isn't negotiable (I tried).

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Everyone at Vanguard was extremely friendly and welcoming, from the first HR representative who called me to all of the managers I met at my final interview. The interviews were behavioral and some questions about classes and what you've done at college - how you spend your time. Not a difficult interview, but you still must be prepared with specific examples of things you've accomplished that you can use to respond to the questions. I received an offer within a week of my final interview.

Interview Question – Lots of questions in the behavioral format where you have to adapt your answers to fit the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, they made me a very solid offer.

Valley Forge, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very good place. Everybody there seemed happy to work there and the morale of the company seemed like something that I like!

Interview Question – How did you handle this/that?   Answer Question

Valley Forge, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2010.

Interview Details – First I had an interview at my campus recruiting center. It was fairly basic and consisted of behavioral based questions. Lots of questions like tell me a time when you displayed such and such quality. Fairly easy. From there I made it to a set of interviews at Vanguard's HQ's in Valley Forge, PA. There were 2 behavioral based interviews as well as various group activities including a case study. All in all I though it was fairly standard.

Interview Question – Display a time when you had to make an unpopular decision.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard Videos

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard College to Corporate interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Vanguard employees and interview candidates.