Vanguard Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2015

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Had a phone interview with an HR person for about 30 minutes. Then was asked to an on-site half day interview with a couple other candidates there as well. Interview was generally get to know you questions with a few technical questions. Got to tour the campus and experience what it was like to work there.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between and Abstract class and an Interface?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online and a representative from the HR department contacted me to schedule a time for a phone interview. The interview was STAR based behavioral questions. Questions such as give me a time you.... and discuss your strengths and weaknesses.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

The interview was mostly behavioral. Questions were pretty standard and not difficult at all. Vanguard mostly wants to see that you are the correct fit for their company. Know your resume, research the company and culture and show that you are a team player than you will most likely do well.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2013.

Interview

Culture is really team oriented. Started out with a phone interview based on the STAR technique and attended a final interview day with other candidates on site. Vanguard made sure that the candidates had a chance to speak with long term employees and former interns during their time on site.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mainly behavioral, where do you see yourself in 10 years, talk about a situation where you have disagreed with a coworker or your boss, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in October 2013.

Interview

You first go through a phone interview and if they like you, they will ask you to come in for a full day interview. It starts off with breakfast and networking; them telling you about the company - the basics. Then you will get 1 on 1 interviews with 2 different people. There is lunch and networking with managers during this time. There will also be a panel of employees who are there to answer all of your questions. And finally you finish off with an activity. Make sure to participate because HR will be at a table new by watching.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you had to deal with something difficult and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Valley Forge, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Valley Forge, PA) in December 2012.

Interview

People and office are really great. I had a phone interview which followed the STAR method and then got called on-site for an in person interview. We had a lot of HR Vanguard information thrown at us, then we met with two employees who asked us situational questions and we had to answer in the STAR method. Afterwards, we had an Industry Insight discussion where we were given a topic based on the market and had to discuss it for ten minutes with the other interns. Meanwhile the HR person was taking notes watching and analyzing our performance.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with conflict?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2012.

Interview

I met them at my university,where they scheduled an interview the next day.But I missed thier call,so they scheduled an phone interview.Question they asked were:
    Why vangaurd
    How did you hear about us
    Why you chose that univ only?why that major only?
    Think of situation when your leadership helped the team.?
    Think of situation when you didn't agree with your group?

Interview Questions

• Discribe a sitution when your performance was questioned?   Answer Question
    • Think of a situation when you were lagging behind the grou and how did to made up for that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

i didn't

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in April 2011.

Interview

First you need to pass a phone interview, which basically consist of questions regarding your resume. then they will set up an in person interview if you pass the screening. My in person interview was almost 3 hr long. I was interviewed by 3 individuals. they asked me lots of situational questions, which wasn't that bad. Overall experience was positive. The interviewers were very friendly, one of my most enjoyable interviews so far.

Interview Questions

• explain a time that you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2010.

Interview

Vanguard essentially wants a intern who fits with the rest of the employers within the company. Therefore the interview process consists of mostly behavioral questions ranging from easy to extremely difficult. Be prepare to come out with scenarios about what you have accomplished using the STAR method. If you are going to the company for interview, dress conservatively because that is the culture there. There will be a phone interview to screen applicants then if they like you enough they will invite you for interview at their headquarter which consists of 2 one on one interviews and a presentation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had difficulty leading a group and how did you go about resolving the situation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in January 2010.

Interview

After I applied, an HR person called me and said she wanted to schedule a phone interview. After about a month, she called back and schedule the interview a few days later.

The phone interview is pretty simple. She asked a few STAR type of questions. Then said she would like me to come in for an in person interview.

The in person interview started with breakfast. I sat at a table with two other Vanguard person and one other person. We talked about a bit of everything. Then a Vanguard person came in to do a presentation on Vanguard. It was a general thing. After that, we met with current employees and ask them questions. They are suppose to be very honest with us. We had lunch with the employees.

Then we had two 1/1 interviews. It was about half an hour each. They actually have a list of questions they ask. For example, what do I want to do? Tell me about a time when you had to teach someone.

The last part is a team activity. As a group, we had to decide what to take on our camping trip and why.

Interview Questions

• All the question I was asked were STAR type of questions. For example, tell me about an time when you disagree with your boss or teacher and what did you do. Do prepare for, why do you want to work at Vanguard?   Answer Question