Vanguard

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – The interview was mostly behavioral. Questions were pretty standard and not difficult at all. Vanguard mostly wants to see that you are the correct fit for their company. Know your resume, research the company and culture and show that you are a team player than you will most likely do well.

Interview Question – Not really.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in October 2013.

Interview Details – Culture is really team oriented. Started out with a phone interview based on the STAR technique and attended a final interview day with other candidates on site. Vanguard made sure that the candidates had a chance to speak with long term employees and former interns during their time on site.

Interview Question – Questions were mainly behavioral, where do you see yourself in 10 years, talk about a situation where you have disagreed with a coworker or your boss, etc.   Answer Question

Valley Forge, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2012.

Interview Details – People and office are really great. I had a phone interview which followed the STAR method and then got called on-site for an in person interview. We had a lot of HR Vanguard information thrown at us, then we met with two employees who asked us situational questions and we had to answer in the STAR method. Afterwards, we had an Industry Insight discussion where we were given a topic based on the market and had to discuss it for ten minutes with the other interns. Meanwhile the HR person was taking notes watching and analyzing our performance.

Interview Question – How did you deal with conflict?   View Answer

Malvern, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2010.

Interview Details – After I applied, an HR person called me and said she wanted to schedule a phone interview. After about a month, she called back and schedule the interview a few days later.

The phone interview is pretty simple. She asked a few STAR type of questions. Then said she would like me to come in for an in person interview.

The in person interview started with breakfast. I sat at a table with two other Vanguard person and one other person. We talked about a bit of everything. Then a Vanguard person came in to do a presentation on Vanguard. It was a general thing. After that, we met with current employees and ask them questions. They are suppose to be very honest with us. We had lunch with the employees.

Then we had two 1/1 interviews. It was about half an hour each. They actually have a list of questions they ask. For example, what do I want to do? Tell me about a time when you had to teach someone.

The last part is a team activity. As a group, we had to decide what to take on our camping trip and why.

Interview Question – All the question I was asked were STAR type of questions. For example, tell me about an time when you disagree with your boss or teacher and what did you do. Do prepare for, why do you want to work at Vanguard?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2012.

Interview Details – I met them at my university,where they scheduled an interview the next day.But I missed thier call,so they scheduled an phone interview.Question they asked were:
Why vangaurd
How did you hear about us
Why you chose that univ only?why that major only?
Think of situation when your leadership helped the team.?
Think of situation when you didn't agree with your group?

Interview Questions

• Discribe a sitution when your performance was questioned?   Answer Question
  • Think of a situation when you were lagging behind the grou and how did to made up for that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i didn't

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in April 2011.

Interview Details – First you need to pass a phone interview, which basically consist of questions regarding your resume. then they will set up an in person interview if you pass the screening. My in person interview was almost 3 hr long. I was interviewed by 3 individuals. they asked me lots of situational questions, which wasn't that bad. Overall experience was positive. The interviewers were very friendly, one of my most enjoyable interviews so far.

Interview Question – explain a time that you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Malvern, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2010.

Interview Details – Vanguard essentially wants a intern who fits with the rest of the employers within the company. Therefore the interview process consists of mostly behavioral questions ranging from easy to extremely difficult. Be prepare to come out with scenarios about what you have accomplished using the STAR method. If you are going to the company for interview, dress conservatively because that is the culture there. There will be a phone interview to screen applicants then if they like you enough they will invite you for interview at their headquarter which consists of 2 one on one interviews and a presentation.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had difficulty leading a group and how did you go about resolving the situation   Answer Question

Valley Forge, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in November 2008.

Interview Details – Heavily behavioral focused, especially relative to other interviews in finance. One round of interviews on campus and one round on Vanguard's campus in Valley Forge, PA. Vanguard will pay for your travel expenses, including flight, hotel and car service. Interviewers inquired into other opportunities pursuing as well as thoughts on living in Philadelphia. Most questions focused on examples from college and/or other work experience. Interviewers consisted of both investment professionals and HR professionals. For the most part, everyone was very approachable and thoughtful.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you witnessed something unethicial and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!