Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

They asked a lot of STAR(situation, task, action, result) format questions a bunch of "tell me about a time..." then there was a Mock Phone call in which they gave an article to read on 'company policies' and how to explain that to a client

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you had to deal with an unhappy client, and how did you deal with it?" " What is the difference between a stock and a bond?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

After I submitted my resume online they contacted me a couple days later and set up a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty easy. It lasted about 25 min and included a couple questions about Vanguard and its structure (Client Based Structure) and then a couple behavioral based questions such as "tell me about a time you had to think outside the box." After the phone interview, if you pass, they immediately ask to set up an in person interview. All interviews are done on Fridays so plan accordingly. The in-person interview process was by far the most in depth one I have had thus far. There were 12 people, including myself, that were interviewing for the job. The day started with an initial presentation on Vanguard and who they are. Candidates were asked to share their knowledge of what they know about Vanguard. The floor was then open for any questions. While I do believe its good to have questions to ask to show your interest, don't force it. Some people were asking questions about how to transfer to other departments later, which came across as somewhat arrogant considering they haven't even gotten this job yet. After the initial gathering we split off to do our interviews. The interviews took place in the cafeteria and everyone was given their own separate table where interviewers then came to greet them. My first interview involved a case study. It essentially gives you a story about a client that wants to do a certain transaction, but has a couple problems pertaining to this transaction which makes it unable to be completed. Your job is to identify all the problems and prioritize what should be fixed first, second, third, etc. Then there was a question of what characteristics are needed to adequately address the issues presented. There were 5 questions total I believe, but I can't recall all of them; you have 15 minutes to read and answer so work quickly/efficiently. Since this takes place in the cafeteria where a lot of other people are talking, be prepared to work with substantial background noise. The second part of the first interview included a mock phone call with the same client from the case study. In this scenario it is your job to listen and address the concerns of the client. They will include a specific life event in this mock interview and it is imperative that you acknowledge it and be empathetic. Additionally, in my mock phone call the client asked for suggestions on investing. They said they are more conservative so I recommended a couple mutual funds. After the end of the phone call the interviewer asks what you would do differently in the mock, and then asks you to rate your performance out of 10. The second interview involved about 10 behavioral based questions, which as others stated on this site, must be answered in STAR format. Please prepare yourself accordingly for these. Use all the different questions supplied on this site to help you. That's what I did and it really did make me feel comfortable answering during the interview. Make up experiences if you have to, just make sure you remember! After the interviews, we reconvened in the same room where the initial presentation took place and went over the benefits offered at Vanguard. After that final presentation we were free to leave. Go into this interview confident and trust the preparation you did; that is the best advice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had a problem with a manager/supervisor and what you did to turn it around to have a better relationship going forward.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a current financial trend that interests you.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Applied online on their careers page. Received a call to set up a phone interview within a few days for the following Monday. Phone interview was more difficult and in depth than I expected but I did well enough to get a second in-person interview. Second interview is a four hour process, two different presentations about Vanguard and two hour long one on one interviews with two different company managers.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you know about stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and ETF's. What are the differences between each?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

I spoke with 3 different people: An HR person, and two different current employees who conduct interviews on a volunteer basis. The interview includes both biographical questions, and situation based questions, and you are required to give answers that provide a resolution.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter who asked common behavioral questions and basic background of the company and values. Shortly after (day or so) was contacted to schedule an in person interview. The in person interview consist of: - informational presentation of Vanguard - a interview with a hiring manager who goes over your background and gives you a role play - another interview with a hiring manager or employee who goes over your background and as technical questions

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me? what is a bond Can you tell me? what is a mutual fund Can you tell me? what is an ETF   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

phone interview first and then an all day interview event. They first provide a presentation of the company then they place you with the people that will be interviewing you. The first half is a behavioral part and the second half is a case study.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

I met a representative at a career fair but wasn't able to set up an interview the next day, so she just took my resume. I was emailed later to schedule a phone interview, which was like a normal interview. At the end of the interview, I was asked to go down to Arizona for an interview in person. At that interview, I went through some of the same questions as the phone interview and then did a role play. To be successful, learn everything you can about Vanguard and investments and make customer service a priority in your answers, especially for the role play.

Interview Questions

• What is a bond? What is a mutual fund? What are ETFs? What do you know about Vanguard? Lots of behavioral questions   Answer Question

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

It is the Start process, depending on what they need to meet race or sex quota depends on if you get the job and promotion. They are also promoting the LBGT community along with women and the minority community.

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Basics interview with situational based testing. Was referred buy a friend of the family. Was brought in with about five others to interview for the same position. All were interviewed separately. Had two separate interviews in one sitting the. Was given a question situation based test by another.

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

About an hour long phone interview, went over my resume and asked a few questions about my knowledge of the financial industry. Later received email that they would not move forward.