Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

Employment Coordinator Interview

The ability to achieve an interview for this position is extremely difficult and competitive and the selection process at times seems somewhat ambiguous. It takes a ton preparation in addition going through the overview process is essential but still not a guarantee to receiving an interview. It has become more difficult year to year.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you had to deal with a difficult peer, and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

They had my resume in the system and HR contacted me and asked me to interview for a "client Relationship Specialist" position. They asked me to contact them within a few days and set up a time for a phone screen. The phone screen asked pretty basic questions. After the phone interview, they told me they would be in contact with me within the next few weeks to see what steps to take next if they wanted to consider me further. I am still waiting for a response.

Investment Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Phone interview, on site interview (case S.T.A.R. method). Overall very basic and simple, no surprises here. On site interview consisted of behavioral and case. Got a call back within a few weeks with a non negotiable offer that I had to take because I was unemployed at the time.

Non existant

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Had one phone interview that lasted about an hour. Questions were fairly simple and I was requested to fly out for an in person interview afterwards. The process was very laid back, fast, and simple to go through. Two interviews, one behavioral and the other a case study. Again, both were fairly simple though I would recommend studying a bit on asset allocation and optimal portfolios.

Interview Questions
    • Case study: Asked what type of asset allocation would be appropriate for a person's portfolio if they are planning to build a house soon but have no other major expenses in the foreseeable future.   Answer Question

Salary was a bit lower than hoped for compared to national averages.

C2C IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in December 2014.

Applied online, was contacted for a phone interview. After my recruiter was done asking her questions, she immediately offered me the on-site interview. I came out for the day to do my interview and the company was great. They explained everything about their internships and company and then we had two back to back hour long interviews. My interviewers were great and really took the time to answer my questions once they were done with their questions. The questions are mostly behavioral to see if you are a good fit for the company with a few tech questions. I interviewed on a Friday and was called on the following Monday. Unfortunately, I missed the call but I called them back on Tuesday and was offered the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between == and .equals
      Difference between an abstract class and an interface
      How to combine strings

Answer Question
    No negotiation, set rate at $19.30/hr

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in December 2014.

I was recruited through my school and contacted initially via email. My recruiter was incredibly friendly and helpful, not to mention responded quickly to my questions/responses. My first interview was over the phone and lasted about 45-50 minutes. She asked some basic finance questions and what I knew about the company. Personality questions were fine and she seemed genuinely interested, making the process a bit more comfortable. The second interview was on-site; we gathered for an initial presentation, then split off to have our individual interviews. These lasted two hours (one hour with two different people). The first person asked many, many questions about extremely specific customer service examples I have encountered and asked for lots of detail. The second interviewer asked a few basic questions, but then the dreaded "case study" process. I was given 15 minutes to go over a case study and any company policies that related to the "client's" problem, then we went over my answers and finished with an example phone call with the client who was really the interviewer. Going over answers was easy, but the pretend call was nerve wracking and, quite frankly, silly, in my opinion. It is supposed to test how you handle things but really, there's no way anyone could expertly handle the call because you haven't been through training yet.

Interview Questions
    • The case study. It has a purpose, but really should be eliminated because it's a bit of an inaccurate way to assess potential candidates.   View Answer

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied through college and got contacted within a week to schedule a phone interview. Process was fairly simply and quick. During the phone interview, they asked some basic questions regarding your resume and what you know about vanguard.

AFP Interview

Interview for the Acceleration into Financial Professional program. Alot of STAR format questions.. name a time where you had to demonstrate time management, a time where you has to show confidentiality, a time where you might have gotten bad feedback or a bad review from a superior and what you did about it. They want to know what you know about vanguard and why it stands out, why its unique in its community involvement and its client relations.

Interview Questions
    • Negative based STAR questions- such as a time where you made a mistake and had to reverse it   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Talked with a recruiter at our career fair and gave them my resume. The next day I was called and had a phone interview, after the interview I was asked if I could fly to Charlotte for the next step. At Charlotte I had 2 individual interviews and then a group interview/activity.

Interview Questions
    • Only one technical questions but I heard from other applicants that they had more. Mine was "What is the difference between a Java Interface and abstract class?"   Answer Question
    I

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

Referred by a friend who is familiar with Vanguard. After submitting resume and online application, had a phone interview within 2 weeks.

Phone interview is easy enough as long as you can be clear about your thoughts and experiences. Must have ability to be calm and professional over the phone while building raport with recruiter.
    Will invite you for a recruitment day at a prearranged date. Vanguard pays for transportation, food and lodging.

Had one month after phone interview to prepare.
    Interviewed in Valley Forge, PA.

Interview day began in the morning and ended around 2pm (3-4 hours)

Brought to a conference room with 8 other candidates. Began with introduction to Vanguard as a company. Covered history, structure, investment philosophies and positions available. Candidates are asked for questions about company. Must have a few in order to stand out.

Afterwards, met with hiring staff one on one to complete two stages of interviews. My first was the role-playing scenario. I am, personally, comfortable doing this. I would suggest practicing with a friend or mentor beforehand. Presented with a case study and required to use information provided to address a situation with a client. This is done out of character, simply had to verbalize strategy for addressing clients needs within a certain amount of time. Asked also to prioritize several tasks after handling client.

Role playing was easy and casual. Imitated a phone call with another client and given time to read a short story of their situation and how to handle their requests. SHOW EMPATHY!!! If "client" says they are about to be married, be excited for them and congratulate them. If there is a death in the family, show consolation and handle them gently.

The next stage was another one-on-one interview with a different hiring manager. reiterate experiences and what brought you to Vanguard and why you have chosen to interview with them. Asked a dozen or so behavioral questions (STAR Method is imperative). Use specific examples from work/school/sports/what ever. Highlighting interactions with customers and coworkers is also essential.

Finally, all the candidates were brought into a room for a final presentation on benefits, the Vanguard campus and what ways you can get involved with the community.

Vanguard will shuttle you back to the airport/bus station/what ever

Interview Questions
    • Being able to speak genuinely about why you want to be a part of Vanguard is the most essential thing. Discussing differences between Vanguard and their competitors, what about Vanguard that you find unique and desirable, and having anecdotes that highlight customer service are all essential. If you study STAR method interviewing beforehand, no one of the questions will be difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question