Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

Accelerated Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vanguard.

Campus recruitment, next day preliminary interview. Notified one week later of selection for final interview. Specifics of the program were vague, even when I asked in the interview. Vanguard is big on the STAR format, behavioral analysis, and leadership potential. I was told my extracurriculars were what impressed them most.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to motivate someone to do something they did not want to do.   View Answer

Brokerage Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

STAR based questions after initial computer based testing, and phone interview. There were two people, one supervisor and one manager. They asked questions and took notes, and it was very dry and clinical, not warm at all.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were helping a client, and didn't have the answer - how would you handle that?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Very thorough process study all glassdoor questions and for roleplay make sure you show EMPATHY, they will give you a scenario where the client is pregnant or has a loss in the family and they expect you to address it

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you had to build a relationship with a client?   Answer Question

IT Interview

First Round was phone interview. Then second round was a 2 1:1 interviews. Ending off with a group excercise. The interview was mostly based on behavioral question.

My advice would be to research STAR based questions.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

Great relationship built with recruiter and enjoyable process. Group interview over 4 hours which includes one-on-one interview, case study, and quick role play. Detailed overview on company and benefits too. Questions typical, but really looking for firm examples.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example when you had to re prioritize your tasks and how did you figure out/rate tasks in order of importance?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

First round phone interview: Basic knowledge of financial industry is necessary, asks about ETF vs. Mutual fund, index funds, and stocks vs. bonds. Asks typical STAR behavioral questions during second half of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why have you chosen to seek jobs in the financial industry   Answer Question

VADP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

Applied online. Within 2 weeks got a phone call from recruiter to schedule phone interview. STAR based interview questions and went over resume on the phone. 2 weeks later got called to be flown out to scottsdale. All day process where they give presentations and have you talk to employees. lots of talk about company culture and how they are looking for the right "type" of person that fits their mold. 2 interviews 1 hour each all STAR based questions. They are really looking for someone that fits company culture- they don't really care about work experience or knowledge so long as you did something and got above 3.5 GPA. Pay is low, and they try to say they have benefits like a gym, doctors office, food court etc. but you have to pay for all of it if you want to use it.

Interview Questions
    • all typical... tell me a situation where you disagreed with a boss. how did you handle it? need to give all STAR based responses because they write everything down.   Answer Question

Client Relations Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

Very relaxed, great interviewer. Process took a total of about 1 week. A recruiter reached out to me and provided set up an in person interview for the next week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard in October 2014.

A recruiter came to my University and was impressed with my resume. I had an interview with him the next day on campus. He asked behavioral type questions and wanted me to respond in the STAR format. He was nice and even gave me tips for the interview if they were to possibly fly me down to AZ for another interview. I got the call that they were going to fly me down. I got to AZ and was accompanied by 12 other students interviewing for the client relationship specialist position. They told me to not look at them as competition. There was a four hour interview process starting with a presentation. They then broke us with our interviewers and role play observers. The interview consisted of 8 to 10 behavioral based questions, again USE the STAR format. Come prepared with good answers that give good RESULTS. In the role play, you are on the phone with a client. Make sure to be personable with the client and show empathy. Think of what you could say to help Vanguard with the customer. Be able to explain your reasoning for why you did a good job or not in the role play. They got back to everyone 3 weeks after that process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you could not deliver something to someone, at the time they expected it. Tell about the results of that situation.   Answer Question

C2C Interview

Typically interview process. Starting with first round phone interview with one HR, and then second round in-person on site interview. Phone interview is about 30 minutes, and you do a few around of interview in the second round.

Interview Questions
    • Very standardized and formal interview process. Preparation for behavioral questions is must.   Answer Question