Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Interviewed by numerous people, some IT, some HR, some management. Canned interview questions. Team compared notes and made a decision up or down on hiring. Offer was for a specific position. No negotiation.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

The Interview Process Consisted of a phone call, which was simply to see if you'd be a good fit and worth bringing into the office for an interview.
    The in-person interview was with a group of 9 people. First portion consisted with a overview of the company, and benefits review. We split up with different managers and had a 1 hour Case Study and Role Play. Then a STAR based 1 hour interview with a different manager. We came back together and took a tour of the campus and were able to have any last minute questions answered. Total process took 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to make a decision without all the information available, and what was the outcome of that decision?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

First round phone interview- mostly behavioral questions. Second round on site interview- meet with three-four Vanguard employees. One role play scenario which was pretty easy and used to evaluate how you approach and handle the case. Response was very quick- heard back in about a week after second interview.

Interview Questions

• why did you choose to study business over other majors? how did you arrive at your decision to attend the school you are currently at?   Answer Question

Client Service Associate/Flagship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard in January 2015.

Interview

They bring you in a room with several other candidates, then go over the culture, compensation, and the hierarchy of the firm. That takes about 90 minutes then they break you up into 2 separate 1-1 interviews to have situations tests. They really try to understand where you see yourself in several years to see if you would fit well with a promotions schedule. The firm is great so far and the co workers are very nice.

Negotiation

Look at Merrill Edge which starts at 35k for core 1 (up to 50k AUM) and you will see you're getting paid more provided you negotiate up.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2015.

Interview

Got an email from a recruiter via LinkedIn - applied online and had a current employee referral. Called me immediately and had a phone interview with recruiter lasted 40 minutes then in-person at Scottsdale office that lasted almost 5 hours.

Interview Questions

• First in-person interview was 1 hour long and asked all behavioral questions - tell me about a time you had conflict within a group, had to make a tough decision, time you failed, etc. Second hour-long interview was a case study and role-play with a client   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. Took 30mins. Formal and uptight. Typical interview questions. I was just not a fit at all for the company. Sounded like a great opportunity for those who fit their criteria.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

First I applied online and was sent an email to have a phone interview that week. Then after passing the phone interview I was invited to an all-day event at the headquarters. At the event there were two interviews conducted back to back in person.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Two part interview. First part is a 30 minute phone interview and the second is a four hour on-site interview. The phone interview focuses on qualifications and resume. The onsite interview is split into four hour long parts. Two presentations about the company, an hour long behavioral based interview and a case study/role play.

Interview Questions

• Very important to show empathy during role play. For the behavioral based interview make sure to answer using the STAR method. One question that threw me off was "Explain a recent event in the news pertaining to finance and how it would affect business at Vanguard"   Answer Question

good benefits but low salary and compensation

Interview

The ability to achieve an interview for this position is extremely difficult and competitive and the selection process at times seems somewhat ambiguous. It takes a ton preparation in addition going through the overview process is essential but still not a guarantee to receiving an interview. It has become more difficult year to year.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time when you had to deal with a difficult peer, and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Interview

They had my resume in the system and HR contacted me and asked me to interview for a "client Relationship Specialist" position. They asked me to contact them within a few days and set up a time for a phone screen. The phone screen asked pretty basic questions. After the phone interview, they told me they would be in contact with me within the next few weeks to see what steps to take next if they wanted to consider me further. I am still waiting for a response.