Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Had a phone interview with an HR person for about 30 minutes. Then was asked to an on-site half day interview with a couple other candidates there as well. Interview was generally get to know you questions with a few technical questions. Got to tour the campus and experience what it was like to work there.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between and Abstract class and an Interface?   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Interview

It was a bit overwhelming as there were 3 people interviewing me and I was expecting one, maybe two. I was fortunate to have a strong internal referral which helped tremendously.

Interview Questions

• How do I traditionally prepare files for output   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in person interview. The in person was 4 parts. 1st was a presentation about Vanguard. 2nd and 3rd were the one on one interviews. One was a case study and then a role play off of the case study. The other was your typical interview going over your resume and experience as well as STAR based behavioral questions. Also they asked about current market trends. 4th was a presentation of benefits and a campus tour. After that you were free to go. It went from 7:45 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Interview Questions

• What interests you most about what is going on in the current financial markets?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

The process took a few weeks. I interviewed on a college campus first. I was asked a few financial technical questions, but mostly behavior STAR questions. They asked about salary expectations. You'll be fine if you know what you want and some financial basics. I was then told it would take a few weeks to hear a response, but was contacted the next week about a phone interview. I guess my interviewer had not posted her notes and another recruiter picked me up. I was then told they'd be flying me out to second round interviews. These were a bit more technical and included the dreaded case study.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to learn a new skill quickly.   Answer Question

Processing Associate Interview

Interview

Applied online and received a call back in two days to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was easy, comfortable, and made up of mostly behavioral questions. I was invited to interview on campus, which was a 4.5 hour process. The interview was in made up of 3 parts: 1 hour behavioral questions, 30 minute case study, and 30 minute role play. The lady who did my case study made me feel a little uncomfortable because she rarely made eye contact in a very small room. Seems like people should be more personable in these situations. They made me feel like I did really well on the interview, but I received an e-mail 11 days after the interview stating I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions. Just think of some past situations regarding team work, problem solving, and conflict resolution.   Answer Question

Fund Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Valley Forge, PA).

Interview

Phone interview and then 2 in person interviews with 2 people each. The questions were mainly behavioral questions and for the phone interview it was questions on the past experiences. The two interviews got repetitive. I was asked similar questions in both interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vanguard (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview. Easy going and asked basic questions. Got invited to second interview on the spot. The lady on the phone was very personable. Be prepared to answer very basic finance terminology.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to think outside the box   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult client.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at school and was in contact with them through email. They called me and went over my resume. Asked me STAR questions and then one financial terminology question. The phone interview was only a half hour. A lot of STAR questions.." Tell me about a time that you had to show leadership" etc. I was then emailed that HR looked over my resume and thought I should interview for a contracting role through Randstad.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to deal with an angry customer   1 Answer

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

Shortly after applying online, I received an interview invitation. The first round of interviews was via phone call with a recruiter. She was pleasant and made the interview enjoyable. She immediately offered to fly me to the campus for an in-person interview, with other candidates. The interview was a four part session which included a company presentation, benefits package overview, and two one on one interviews. The first one-on-one interview was STAR question based and the second one was role play based. A week later I received an offer.

IT Sourcing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Vanguard in April 2015.

Interview

Several phone calls. This process went on for months. I received a call from a Recruiter. She set up a phone interview with the hiring manager. That phone interview went well. The Recruiter said that the hiring manager thought I was a good match. Then we waited.... Vanguard never invited me in for the interview. Finally, when I inquired, they said at some point, I would be invited in to take an exam. I finally gave up. I told them to come back to me when they were ready.