Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Received an email requesting a phone interview about 2 days after I applied online. We set up a phone interview for a few days later. The interviewer asked a lot of questions about my financial knowledge and interests. She also asked a lot of behavior related questions. Over all I thought the interview went ok but it was a very dry interview; meaning that I felt that I couldnt connect or relate with the person I was speaking with. Interviewer said that I would hear from them in 5-7 days.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to define mutual funds, bonds, ETFs, and index funds. Also was asked what FINRA stands for.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

I gave the recruiters a resume at my college career fair and they called me a couple weeks later to set up a phone interview. I felt that it went well and they said they said they would get back to me within 5 days. I ended up not getting another interview.

Client Service Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Dropped off resume and application. Receiced a phone call and scheduled first interveiw. A second interveiw was arranged a week later. Received offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were simular in regards to prior client service experience. They did not ask about investment knowledge.   Answer Question
    No negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

I applied online for the position and within two weeks was contacted for a 45 minute phone interview. The interviewer first told me about the position and then proceeded to ask several questions such as "Tell me about yourself", "Why Vanguard", "What do you already know about Vanguard", and "What is the Series 7 licensing about". The interviewer then asked me five behavioral questions. Make sure you prepare possible answers to behavioral questions online beforehand. At the end of the interviewer then asked what questions I had for her and then said the next step in the interview process is an in-person interview so you will know if you are moving forward in the process at the end of the phone interview. We then set up an interview for the following week.

In-person interview- The first interview is an hour long and you are given a case study to read and then the interviewer comes back to ask questions about the situation and how you would handle it. The second interview is an hour long behavioral interview with a different interviewer. The two interviews can be in any order.

A week and a half later I was contacted via the phone with an offer for the position.

Interview Questions
    The interviewer gave me two weeks to accept/decline.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

Phone interview that was 45min long which was most behavioral and about ETFs, Mutual Funds, and Index funds. Offered to be flown out during the interview for the final process in Scottsdale. At Scottsdale had an hour case study and an hour interview. Most were behavior questions and experience. Though I nailed the interview and was above average on the case study. The next week I was emailed that they would not be extending me an offer. I was surprised that I did not receive an offer, especially with my experience and how well the interview went. I thought it was very unprofessional of them to email me for their response instead of a quick phone call, like most companies. Overall I liked the interview process, but the way they followed up for the final result added salt on the wound of not getting the job, especially after all the time traveling I had to do.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

I applied through Vanguard website and then received an email from human resources to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very basic. The recruiter asked me about my education and work experience and then asked a couple of behavioral questions. After this interview I was asked to fly out to their Scottsdale office for an in person interview. This consisted of around 15 behavioral questions and a case study.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the difference between a money market fund, a fixed income fund, and a equity fund.   Answer Question

I wanted to pursue other options.

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

Vanguard contacted me through my university's career network and offered a phone interview. The call last approximately 1.5 hours. Most of that time was the interview itself (behavioral) which consisted of probably somewhere around 15 questions. After I was offered a second, on-site interview, the woman spoke told me about the interview process, in detail, and what would be expected of me. I haven't worked in any professional positions yet, so it was shocking how much detail she offered about the on-site interview. She even told me that I would be asked specific questions about news in the field and there would be a role-play. It made the on-site interview less intimidating that I already knew what would happen.
    So Vanguard flew me from my university to site, picked me up at the airport and paid for my hotel stay, all that stuff. The on-site interview lasted about 4 or 5 hours.
    1st hour: Q&A about the company
    2nd hour: another behavioral interview, with some questions about general intuition (How would you advise a client who wants to do ______ ?)
    3rd/4th hour: elaborate on the resume and role play for client assistance
    5th hour: presentation about Vanguard which was mostly about their benefits*

*this was pretty weird... at one point they went on and on about the fact that they have a nice, big gym (big deal, every company has a gym)... totally unnecessary.

I heard back from Vanguard less than one week after the on-site interview.

Overall, the interview process was straightforward, high-quality without being unnecessarily intimidating, and, as I and other interviewees with whom I spoke afterwards, enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • The role play is really easy. If you've ever had retail or customer service experience, you will be fine. If you haven't, talk to your friends who have to make sure that you understand sensitivity to client situations, problems, etc.
      The question that threw me off the most was something like: Using the STAR formation for your answer, talk about a time when a classmate didn't understand something and how you helped them.
        View Answer
    They don't negotiate on offers/benefits (I tried). If you are cool with the pay, which is below industry average for this position, accept it. The health package and retirement plans are pretty good and you can get all of your licensing, etc.

Client Relations Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Very easy interview process. The process was only one round, and they asked generic questions about the firm, why do you want to work at Vanguard, and what type of financial knowledge do you have. I met with two different people, separately, and they both asked questions along the same line. I has several behavioral questions, focusing on dedication to the job and customer service.

Interview Questions
    • A behavioral based question: What would you do if it's 5:00PM on a Friday, you're getting ready to leave for the a weekend trip with your friends, and a client calls requesting help with a very complicated issue that will surely cause you to miss your ride with your friends. How would you handle their issue?   Answer Question
    Vanguard does not negotiate salaries for this position. I accepted the offer and wish I hadn't. It's essentially a call-center, where you'll field 60 - 100 calls per day.

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

The first interview was a phone interview in which they asked behavioral questions and asked questions about my general knowledge of mutual funds and index funds. I was then invited to a final interview at the Malvern location where there were two additional interviews. The first was a behavioral interview. Remember to answer the questions using the STAR method. The second interview was a case study. The case study wasn't that bad I was the most nervous for that.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to think outside the box   Answer Question

Assigned Representative Interview

Initial phone call from HR.The interviewer asked me to review my job experience. Briefly (20 minutes) went over my background. She also gave me an overview of the position.Very pleasant. She then told me I would be scheduled for an in person interview. I had to follow up with her to get the in person interview. I then met with three managers for my inperson interview.

Interview Questions
    • There was a case study which I completely over analyzed. If they give you a case study, know that they arent looking for a technical answer but what behaviors needed to solve the problem.   Answer Question