Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Phone interview, very structured. It felt as if i was talking to a computer across the phone. I think they picked up on the lack of interest and did not offer me the job anyways. Formulaic questions, did not feel like I was actually having a conversation, more like filling out text boxes with someone on the other end of the phone.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see your self in the future. Difference between a stock and a bond and ETF. Nailed those...and then an example of a time when you had a difficult situation and how you responded.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

I connected with a recruiter during Vanguard's recruitment webinar. I was scheduled for a phone interview and then I was flown out to Arizona for the second interview. The interview process is four hours long and consisted of a STAR based interview followed by a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy. The role play was a little difficult. You had to extract information from the interviewer to determine the best possible solution for the client. The company is very client oriented so be sure to show concern.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Either you accepted the offer or you didn't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

I was initially put into contact with one of their HR people through a career services reference at my university. They scheduled a phone interview that ends up taking 30 minutes to an hour depending on how conversational you are. There are a few of the basic questions about yourself/your resume, followed by a couple of easy behavioral questions "Tell me about a time you had to work in a team", etc. Then, they'll typically ask you to define some basic terms like stocks, bonds, ETFs, and FINRA. My advice is to just try and connect with the HR person as much as possible and show your personality through the phone. If you do well they'll offer you a real interview on their campus (it took them two weeks to get back to me, but I've heard of them offering it on the spot). The on-campus interview is four hours, split into four sections. The first/last hours are presentations mainly about the structure of the company and the benefits packages. The middle two hours is split into a one on one interview with someone, and then a separate role play with a different person. The interview is pretty standard, make sure you're up on your recent financial news and can talk about everything on your resume. The role play is rather awkward as you're pretending to have a telephone conversation with someone sitting two feet away from you. That being said, the key to the role play is to show empathy. Regardless of whether your customer is rude/upset, just be empathetic to their situation and you should be fine. After the on-campus interview they say they'll get back to you within two weeks, but in my case it took a month. OVERALL: VERY friendly HR people. Everyone involved was amicable and I never felt uncomfortable- extremely excited to be working here.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you had to think outside the box", "Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without all of the relevant information; what did you do and what were the results?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

basic 30 minute overview- run through your resume. be able to talk about how you have worked with clients. know financial news/terminology. was asked to come for an in person interview the next day via email.

interview at malvern. 1 hr presentation about what vanguard does... speak up ask questions. 1 hour interview behavioral questions(mostly about client work). 1 hour role play: basically just make sure you can sound confident and nice on th phone. doesn't matter if you can't tell them where to allocate their assets. 1 hour presentation about benefits then you leave.

Interview Questions

• name a time you had to sell something difficult.
      name a time when you had to deal with a difficult client and how you handeled it.
      name a time when you had to deal with a client when they were already upset

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Had a first round phone interview, lasted about 30 minutes. Recruiter asked why I was interested in Vanguard, why finance, and went on to discuss the position. Then I was asked to define terms such as mutual funds, ETF's, index funds, stocks and bonds. He invited me to the second round interview in Scottsdale at the end of our conversation. The second round interview in Scottsdale was 4 hours long, but the first and last hours are presentations on the company and the position. The HR staff was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. The second hour of you are in a behavioral based interview and asked me STAR questions, pretty standard. Then the third hour was a role play interview when you are talking to a client. The role play was semi difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to take the lead on a project.   Answer Question

Vanguard Accelerated Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, brief phone screen (30 mins) with recruiter. Waited about a week to hear back and was invited in to a student visit day with other candidates. Student visit day was very intense - consisted of multiple interviews, topical discussions, and company presentations

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based/STAR questions - tell me about a time where you had to work with someone difficult or who's ideas you didn't agree with.   Answer Question

Customer Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from a recruiter about a week after. Set up a phone interview for later that week which was about 30 minutes. Need to know basic mutual fund, stock, ETF, etc terminology. In person interview is about 4 hours (plus driving about 30 minutes early). 4 stages and important to understand STAR method.

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. Asked STAR based questions. It really helps to prepare with scenarios first. Have some knowledge of the company. Very nice and informative interviewer. Seemed like a great place to work

Already found something

College to Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vanguard (Hanover, NH) in February 2015.

Interview

I first spoke to a recruiter through an online career event held by my school. The recruiter referred me to another recruiter in the location I was interested. We went through a typical phone screen.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me about my resume and what I know about Vanguard.   Answer Question

IT College II Corporate Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard (New Brunswick, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview setup. I applied by searching for different IT companies through Google. I saw Vanguard and applied on their site which took a while because their site is a bit annoying to navigate and to save your application. Once completed I received an email from a recruiter. We were about to schedule an phone interview, before she stopped answering for a week. Then she responds by saying that another recruiter would contact me. Hard accent and no sense of morality in her voice. The phone interview was barely 10 min and she asked me for my GPA which was not that spectacular. She then asked me to talk about myself and then said that we will be in touch sometime in a week or two. It's been two months....I know I didn't get it.
    BTW she said that they make no arrangements for living purposes, I would have to find a way to Philadelphia everyday. And this was my very first phone interview.