Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

Client Relations Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Phone interview, then in office interview with two managers. STAR questions- situation, task, action, result- the whole time- behavior based questions. Come prepared, bring your resume, wear conservative clothing. I did a case study- basically the answer is the client is always right but do what you need to do to follow the rules.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us everything you know about Vanguard. Do you follow the market?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Very prompt in response to an initial application submitted; conducted a simple phone screen with some basic questions and then some behavioral interview questions. Invited on the spot to participate in an interview on the campus. Interview on campus was about 4 hours long. First session was an introduction to the company, second was a behavioral question interview, third was a phone call role play, fourth was a closing session from an HR representative who candidly answered questions. HR was very responsive and helpful throughout the whole process, they have a great system for hiring and response time for each stage was unbelievable! It was definitely important to show that you were intelligent and competent, but just as importantly that you were good at dealing with people from all walks of life- especially when you aren't talking to them face-to-face but instead are communicating over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to make a decision without having all of the information.   Answer Question

The whole day would've been on phones and there was not a lot of room for creativity in the position. The office space looked very cramped from what I could find online. Seemed like a fancy title for customer service and wanted something more dimensional and different from day-to-day.

Financial Processing Associate Interview

Interview was simple, had it with two people. Not just and interview but they got to know me as a person as well. We sat down in a conference room and they explained who they were as well as the job salary and requirements.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions, how do you deal with conflict, what situation did you have where you had to organize a project.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied online using a friend that worked there as a recommendation. They called me and invited me for an interview in the Charlotte office and then I had 3 rounds of interviews. They basically bring in a stack of papers with behavioral questions that are directed towards sales and dealing with customers over the phone. It was less conversational and more of her writing down my answers without looking at me, expecting STAR answers. They also threw in a case in one of the interviews and I had to complete it in 10-15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • If a client asked you something you didn't know, what would you do?   Answer Question

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard in May 2014.

While looking over the case study, the interviewers left the room but forgot to use their inside voices and starting making inappropriate comments about an individual's appearance right outside the door. It doesn't really represent the firm well, very unprofessional. Just a little insight as to the type of environment you might find yourself in if you start working for them in retail client account services area. Minorities will finally be grilled in the final presentation and made a spectacle of. They are not trying to hire qualified people, they are looking for drones.

Interview Questions
    • A high net worth client who already has had previous issues with his brokerage account and is now trying to establish an IRA for his daughter. A previous rep sends him a pre-filled application for him to review and send back in. The previous rep did not make client privy to the fact that it needed to include his daughters signature. There are 3 days left before the deadline to make a contribution into the IRA towards the previous year for his daughter. To make things worse his daughter is in the middle of a high risk pregnancy and is due any time from now.   View Answer

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Submitted a resume at a college job fair, received an e-mail to set up a phone interview ~5 months afterward. Phone interview asked typical questions (why vanguard, what is mutual fund/index fund/ETF, how do you keep up with financial news). Interviewer was very nice and understanding of when I was unsure of the answer to a technical question. Recommended me to check out about.vanguard.com in preparation for the in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • What makes Vanguard different from other fund management companies?   Answer Question

Communication Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

Behavioral based interview. Required to interview with HR and then with the department.

No negoation

Tax Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

One phone interview, one face-to-face interview on-site. Behavior-based questioning, looking for answers in the STAR format. Very friendly and inviting; was not intimidated at all, and it was great to walk through the workplace to the interview room in order to get a sense of the environment and people who work there.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to be as specific as possible in order to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Client Relations Associate Interview

Contacted through school career office. Scheduled a phone interview with HR for the next week. The interview was pretty straightforward behavioral questions, make sure to know all about mutual funds, etfs, series 7 exam, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What's a current economic issue you've been following?   View Answer

Customer Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

It is a very long process. Phone interview and very detailed in person interviews. The interviews are situational based using the STAR method - situation, task, action, result. Very detailed process. Some of it is duplicated and seems unnecessary.

Interview Questions
    • The STAR questions. They want specific situations and actions.   Answer Question