Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vanguard (Raleigh, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Basically it's a sales position. You met with the someone at an office for all of 5 minutes where they rush through the overall objective of the company and pretty much as you no questions. You then get invited to go the 2nd round interview to a local SAMs club in the food court. They again rush through the overall objective of the company. But pretty much it's the ppl that stand around and sale items as vendors in the store.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel you could you could handle moving up a fast paced company?   1 Answer

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed at career fair then had a phone interview. Was called in for an in person interview consisting of behavioral and role play questions. Be personable and act like a human and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for Processing Associate position and Client Relationship Specialist through their website. Got a phone call to set up phone interview. Phone interview consisted of many behavioral interview questions and they also asked me some questions to get a baseline for my knowledge such as what is a stock, bond, mutual fund, and ETF. Did not receive an offer and they emailed me that they were not considering me the next business day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you witnessed a coworker/team member doing something unethical and what did you do?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

After applying I was notified within a week that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. It was a brief phone interview- STAR format. Then I was invited in person for a day long interview at headquarters in PA. Two individual interviews with employees, lunch with management. Overall good experience

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

It was pretty standard for a finance interview. I started with a phone screening, then went into Scottsdale for a face to face. I met with two individual interviewers. Process was actually enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you were asked to show leadership.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Phone interview describing what you know about Vanguard. You will be asked to point out key scenarios from previous employment. KNOW BASIC MUTUAL FUND TERMINOLOGY. Do not stutter on the phone. Know what you are talking about. Prepare for the phone interview as if it were the biggest day of your life.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Phone interview, very structured. It felt as if i was talking to a computer across the phone. I think they picked up on the lack of interest and did not offer me the job anyways. Formulaic questions, did not feel like I was actually having a conversation, more like filling out text boxes with someone on the other end of the phone.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see your self in the future. Difference between a stock and a bond and ETF. Nailed those...and then an example of a time when you had a difficult situation and how you responded.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

I connected with a recruiter during Vanguard's recruitment webinar. I was scheduled for a phone interview and then I was flown out to Arizona for the second interview. The interview process is four hours long and consisted of a STAR based interview followed by a case study and role play. The case study was fairly easy. The role play was a little difficult. You had to extract information from the interviewer to determine the best possible solution for the client. The company is very client oriented so be sure to show concern.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Either you accepted the offer or you didn't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ).

Interview

I was initially put into contact with one of their HR people through a career services reference at my university. They scheduled a phone interview that ends up taking 30 minutes to an hour depending on how conversational you are. There are a few of the basic questions about yourself/your resume, followed by a couple of easy behavioral questions "Tell me about a time you had to work in a team", etc. Then, they'll typically ask you to define some basic terms like stocks, bonds, ETFs, and FINRA. My advice is to just try and connect with the HR person as much as possible and show your personality through the phone. If you do well they'll offer you a real interview on their campus (it took them two weeks to get back to me, but I've heard of them offering it on the spot). The on-campus interview is four hours, split into four sections. The first/last hours are presentations mainly about the structure of the company and the benefits packages. The middle two hours is split into a one on one interview with someone, and then a separate role play with a different person. The interview is pretty standard, make sure you're up on your recent financial news and can talk about everything on your resume. The role play is rather awkward as you're pretending to have a telephone conversation with someone sitting two feet away from you. That being said, the key to the role play is to show empathy. Regardless of whether your customer is rude/upset, just be empathetic to their situation and you should be fine. After the on-campus interview they say they'll get back to you within two weeks, but in my case it took a month. OVERALL: VERY friendly HR people. Everyone involved was amicable and I never felt uncomfortable- extremely excited to be working here.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you had to think outside the box", "Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without all of the relevant information; what did you do and what were the results?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard (Scottsdale, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Had a first round phone interview, lasted about 30 minutes. Recruiter asked why I was interested in Vanguard, why finance, and went on to discuss the position. Then I was asked to define terms such as mutual funds, ETF's, index funds, stocks and bonds. He invited me to the second round interview in Scottsdale at the end of our conversation. The second round interview in Scottsdale was 4 hours long, but the first and last hours are presentations on the company and the position. The HR staff was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. The second hour of you are in a behavioral based interview and asked me STAR questions, pretty standard. Then the third hour was a role play interview when you are talking to a client. The role play was semi difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to take the lead on a project.   Answer Question