Vanguard

Vanguard Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Application to final interview process took about 3 weeks. I was contacted by a recruiter immediately after completing application. We set up a time for a 30 min phone interview. Phone interview is basic: questions about background, current job duties, Vanguard knowledge, etc. I was offered an in-person interview over the phone after our discussion.

In-person interview consisted of 4 one hour segments. First hour: discussed Vanguard's history and openly asked candidates what they knew about the company. Second hour: behavioral interview discussing background and experience. Expect about 8-10 STAR interview questions and was asked to describe the difference between a mutual fund and a ETF. Additionally, I was asked about current events in the financial industry. Third hour: case study with 4 follow up questions and then a follow up role play. They are looking to see how you handle problems and your steps to resolve issue. My case study involved a angry customer who needed a new closed fund set up before the end of the day. He had worked with another associate a couple weeks prior and they had overlooked a missing signature required and had not informed the customer. You must remedy the situation. Role play was a play-off from the case-study: same customer, trying to set up IRA for daughter including prior year tax contributions however daughter did not sign required paperwork. Last hour: group lecture about benefits and your of campus

Interview Questions
    • Typical STAR questions and know the difference between a mutual fund, index fund, ETF, etc.   Answer Question

Brokerage Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Vanguard.

Initially a telephone interview. Next, you were called in to meet with a manger and supervisor. If everything went well you got the job. The onboarding was interesting. You were inundated with the Vanguard mantra through team building exercises. You were pretty much free to leave early if you finished the book assignments they gave you.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were in the star format. Not too complicated.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate anything. Either you work for us or not. We do not care. We have over 2000 applicants a day.

Project Administrator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vanguard.

This process happened awhile ago, so not relevant to types of interviews being used in today's job market. I was very well qualified for this position. I contacted an internal recruiter via LinkedIn. Sent my resume. Had a hour prequalifying interview. The interviews with the hiring managers occurred the next week..

Interview Questions
    • One of the hiring managers remarked that I looked very young for the amount of experience I had.   Answer Question

Financial Processing Associate Interview

I received an e-mail regarding the position. I responded and a day later I received a phone interview. It lasted about 30 mins. We talked about my past job experiences and she asked me questions in the STAR format. Afterwards, we setup a face-to-face meeting at the headquarters. The interview process was basically the same in the phone interview. There were a lot of STAR formatted questions. So be prepared for that aspect of the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

Referred through a contact who set me up with the interview. Behavioral questions on the phone, took about 30 minutes or so. Use the STAR method when answering the questions, as this is what they're looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed necessarily. How did you handle it and make sure that the task was still carried out in the best manner possible.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

I submitted my application online, was contacted about three weeks later. Had a 15 minute phone interview in which I was scheduled to come in for an in person interview. The interview was not high pressure, more of an experiences based conversation with the STAR method behavioral questions thrown in there. Have your answers ready as well as questions I be asked at the end of the interview. Look professional, but don't be too nervous, you want to appear confident and capable in high stress situations. I was contacted after 3 days to accept the position.

I did not negotiate.

VADP Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

The interview process was about one hour. It was all behavioral questions based on leadership experience, prior internships, communication skills, all "soft" skills questions. Must have examples to back up every answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

HR phone interview was pretty straight forward. Know a recent happening in the industry, what's a stock, bond, eft. What do you know about Vanguard and what makes them different. In person interview is lengthy and thorough. Behavioral questions. Give a time when: Complex problem to resolve, most successful sales experience, made a decision without all info, difficult time with peer or colleague, unhappy customer, you got coaching or feedback and helped a customer define their needs v wants. Be familiar with the 5 divisions in this department too. Finally business dress is a must so get suited up!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

They will schedule a phone interview first. They will ask you "what is a bond,eft, mutual fund?" "What are vanguard values?" "What makes vanguard different?" "How do you build rapport with clients" "what's going on in the financial news today?" "How do you keep up with the financial news/ what kind of financial literacy do you read?". If you do good, then they will call you in for an in person interview. There is 2 parts and it will last 4 hours. 1 part is the behavioral questions part. BEWARE. Vanguard likes the STAR FORMAT. Make sure you plan out what you are going to say. Next part is the mock phone call. They will give you a scenario can leave out of the room for 15 minutes. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SHOW EMPATHY. They want to know that you can be diplomatic to an upset client or even a happy client. Normally it takes about 1 wk until they let you know if they want to hire you or not.

Interview Questions
    • How do you build rapport with a client.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. It pays $40,000 for the client relationship specialist position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Brief phone interview where they asked why vanguard?, what's an ETF?, difference between stock and bond, recent financial news you read about, etc.

FOUR (!) hour in person interview which could have easily been cut in half. First and last hour are just them talking to you about the company/benefits. Middle two hours are role play and behavioral questions, but those both go by fast so you're sitting there waiting around a ton. Towards the end, they had us sitting in a room wasting our time watching a 6 minute video about their crappy on-campus gym. WHO CARES?!

I didn't get the job because of course they threw some curveball question at me that I didn't have a scripted answer for (Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?)

Honestly thankful I didn't receive an offer because I wasn't impressed by the cult-like culture and it just seems like one giant call center. If you decide to work here, I would get your licenses and move on ASAP.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?   Answer Question