Vanguard

Getting the Interview

313 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Interview process took about 2 weeks. First round interview lasted about 40 minutes and was fairly easy. Recruiter asked me about my work experience, what I knew about Vanguard, what sets vanguard apart from other companies, why I was applying for the role and to define some financial terminology (what is the difference between a bond and a stock, difference between an ETF and a mutual fund)

Interview Question – Case Study role play was the hardest part of the interview.
Test ability to offer exceptional customer service, adhere to company policies, think outside the box and take initiative.
  Answer Question

Client Services Representative Interview

Client Services Representative
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a recruiter through my school, asking me for a date and time that would work best for a phone interview. I was then flown to there Scottsdale campus for a day of interviews.

Interview Question – Name a current financial topic you're interested in?
Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?
  Answer Question

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details – The first round phone interview was supposed to be 30 minutes but ended up being an hour. They first asked me questions about my background and resume but then grilled me with financial questions for a half hour. There were questions about several financial products and situational questions about dealing with clients. After that successful interview I was scheduled to do an on cite interview two weeks later which lasted about 5 hours. After that successful interview session I was offered the position.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was, "Name a time when you had to study for a final exam for the next day but also had a major assignment due as well, how did you handle it and what did you do?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not enough money

Client Relationship Manager Interview

Client Relationship Manager
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview. Then came into the scottsdale office for a 5 hour in-person interview. The interview was VERY long and they spent most of the time building up the company. There was a behavioral part and a case study part to the interview as well.

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interview was the case study because they put you in a situation where knowing the companies policies and proceedures would really help you out. Since you are not an employee yet, you have no way of knowing what those policies are. Basically, a customer is trying to set up an IRA at the last minute and is setting it up for his daughter. Signatures are needed and the money to open the IRA needs time to process. Plus, I'm sure they want you to build up the company (in the case study they have you pretend you are with some other company) and try to up-sell as well. The case study in my opinion was worthless and was a poor way of gauging someone's true skills. If you want to me to advise someone on how to open an IRA at the last minute then maybe you should tell me how that process works and I would easily be able to relay that to a customer.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Vanguard in October 2013.

Interview Details – Started contact through a career fair at my school. Was contacted the same day to schedule an initial interview based on Resume. Went back to the school the following day for interview with the two recruiters. One asked questions, the other took notes. I was later contacted by phone to move forward with the interview process. A second interview was scheduled through phone, where I was basically asked what starting dates I would be available to start work and set specifics to fly me out to Scottsdale a week from then.
In Scottsdale, we were gathered in groups but interview process was held individually. Everything is STAR like questions so make sure you practice on that. The interview is split into parts, Behavioral and then there is a case study and role-play. The rough part was the role-play and figuring out the case study. It's easy to fall pray to too much specifics and make things more complicated then it actually is.

They really push the positives of the company.

Interview Question – Role-play was hardest. Trying to resolve a customer question and concerns based on case study. Pretty much tests your ability to execute excellent customer service while complying to company policy and resolving a team mates screw up.   View Answer

Cost Basis Associate Interview

Valley Forge, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Received interview through Randstad recruiting company. Started with a phone interview asking behavioral questions. Was later called in for a panel interview. The first panel involved a case study in which you have 15 minutes to read over the case. All the procedures are on the case study so it is really just a matter of deciding what actions are relevant to the situation.

The case study was something along the lines of working for a company (MoneyWise) and you are presented with a client wanting to get into a closed fund but the paper work is not in good order etc.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were overwhelmed with work, how did you manage the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase. This company and recruiting companies are notorious for cutting costs.

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details – Submitted a resume at a job fair. Received an e-mail for a phone interview ~3 months after job fair. Interviewer was friendly and courteous, helped explain terms that I was unfamiliar with. He focused on how much I researched for the interview (ie: what I knew about Vanguard)

Interview Question – Difference between stock and bond? What is a mutual fund? What is an index fund? What is an ETF?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Client Relationship Associate
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in June 2010.

Interview Details – Behavior based interviewing using STAR questions.

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straightforward. I saw the posting on my college career board and applied, got a call a few days later to set up a phone interview. After doing fine on the phone interview, I was invited in for an in-person interview. They flew me out to the office and took care of a hotel for the night. Almost all of the questions were behavioral based with a few questions on investing to see if you have a basic knowledge of the financial industry.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when...   Answer Question

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details – I was contacted and had a 30 minute phone interview. They offered to fly me out to their corporate headquarters at the end of the call. The interview was 2 hours with a behavioral and problem solving section.

Interview Question – They had me do a mock phone call with the interviewer which was fairly unexpected but in the end the interview process was pretty easy.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pay was way below what I thought I could get elsewhere.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard