Vanguard

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

Customer Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

It is a very long process. Phone interview and very detailed in person interviews. The interviews are situational based using the STAR method - situation, task, action, result. Very detailed process. Some of it is duplicated and seems unnecessary.

Interview Questions
    • The STAR questions. They want specific situations and actions.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

First round is a phone interview lasting about 45 mins. Know how to respond to behavioral questions in the STAR method. Also, know some financial current events. Know what the difference between a mutual fund and an ETF are. Also, Know what an index fund is, the difference between fixed income and equities. Basic technical questions and easy behavioral for customer satisfaction questions.

Location was very far from me. Pay is very low compared to competitors.

Universal Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • EVERYTHING is a behavioral based question looking for quantified and qualified resolution. Know your "STAR"s   View Answer
    They offered me their minimum amount for that job level, I countered for $2k more to start me at $30k.

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied online, 1 phone interview, 1 in-person interview.

No negotiation.

VADP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

One 15-30 minute initial phone call, then asked to come to office, travel expenses are comped. At office by 7:30 am till 2 or 3pm. Starts with info about Vanguard, then breaks into 2 interviews, each with different interviewer, 3rd interview contains role play, then lunch, followed by brief overview of benefits. Pay is discussed during offering phone call. Email if not hired.

Interview Questions
    • Role Play: You are a college student, preparing for a career fair, and the person in charge, a senior has stopped working on its preparation. You must try to get him to agree to fulfill his promises.   View Answer

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vanguard.

Received an email requesting a phone interview about 2 days after I applied online. We set up a phone interview for a few days later. The interviewer asked a lot of questions about my financial knowledge and interests. She also asked a lot of behavior related questions. Over all I thought the interview went ok but it was a very dry interview; meaning that I felt that I couldnt connect or relate with the person I was speaking with. Interviewer said that I would hear from them in 5-7 days.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to define mutual funds, bonds, ETFs, and index funds. Also was asked what FINRA stands for.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

I gave the recruiters a resume at my college career fair and they called me a couple weeks later to set up a phone interview. I felt that it went well and they said they said they would get back to me within 5 days. I ended up not getting another interview.

Client Service Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Dropped off resume and application. Receiced a phone call and scheduled first interveiw. A second interveiw was arranged a week later. Received offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were simular in regards to prior client service experience. They did not ask about investment knowledge.   Answer Question
    No negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

I applied online for the position and within two weeks was contacted for a 45 minute phone interview. The interviewer first told me about the position and then proceeded to ask several questions such as "Tell me about yourself", "Why Vanguard", "What do you already know about Vanguard", and "What is the Series 7 licensing about". The interviewer then asked me five behavioral questions. Make sure you prepare possible answers to behavioral questions online beforehand. At the end of the interviewer then asked what questions I had for her and then said the next step in the interview process is an in-person interview so you will know if you are moving forward in the process at the end of the phone interview. We then set up an interview for the following week.

In-person interview- The first interview is an hour long and you are given a case study to read and then the interviewer comes back to ask questions about the situation and how you would handle it. The second interview is an hour long behavioral interview with a different interviewer. The two interviews can be in any order.

A week and a half later I was contacted via the phone with an offer for the position.

Interview Questions
    The interviewer gave me two weeks to accept/decline.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

Phone interview that was 45min long which was most behavioral and about ETFs, Mutual Funds, and Index funds. Offered to be flown out during the interview for the final process in Scottsdale. At Scottsdale had an hour case study and an hour interview. Most were behavior questions and experience. Though I nailed the interview and was above average on the case study. The next week I was emailed that they would not be extending me an offer. I was surprised that I did not receive an offer, especially with my experience and how well the interview went. I thought it was very unprofessional of them to email me for their response instead of a quick phone call, like most companies. Overall I liked the interview process, but the way they followed up for the final result added salt on the wound of not getting the job, especially after all the time traveling I had to do.