Vanguard

Getting the Interview

314 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straightforward. I saw the posting on my college career board and applied, got a call a few days later to set up a phone interview. After doing fine on the phone interview, I was invited in for an in-person interview. They flew me out to the office and took care of a hotel for the night. Almost all of the questions were behavioral based with a few questions on investing to see if you have a basic knowledge of the financial industry.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when...   Answer Question

Malvern, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received response within 24 hours. Phone interview was straightforward personal and behavioral questions. Recruiter was friendly. Interview lasted exactly 40 minutes. Salary too low.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. What recent economic news surprised you? Tell me about a time you had to think outside the box.   Answer Question

Customer Relationship Specialist Interview

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and got an email to schedule a phone interview for a few days later. the phone interview was easy and was more of a conversation than anything. the only technical questions I was asked were about the difference between stocks and bonds and the definition of an ETF. If you do your homework on the company you shouldn't have any issue getting an interview.

The interview itself was much less pleasant. It consisted of a behavioral portion and a "fake" call with a customer. The behavioral part wasn't bad as all questions just followed the STAR format. the fake phone call was a little more rough. They put you in a room with someone who pretends to be an upset customer and you are supposed to handle their situation as if you were on a phone call with them. After the interview I learned that you are not actually supposed to solve their problem, rather you are supposed to assure them that you will work with your boss and figure out a way to compensate them for any damage that has been done. Also apparently you're supposed to congratulate the guy when at some point during the phone call he mentions that his daughter had a baby.

Interview Question – After the fake phone call I was asked what I thought when the "customer" said they had accounts with other investment companies. I still don't know what answer they were looking for to that question.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Specialist

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through my college's Career Development Office originally for the Vanguard Accelerated Development Program. I was contacted for phone interview but not offered a 2nd round interview. Soon after a recruiter for the Client Relationship Specialist contacted me for a phone interview. It was about an hour long, with many behavioral based interviews (review your STAR method). No technical questions, but they did ask me what a mutual fund was. At the end of the interview I was offered a final interview on site. I went to their office with about 15 other college students. There were 2 interviews - a more in-depth behavioral based interview and a was a case-based interview. The behavioral interview was pretty standard, with client-relations as the frame for most questions. I really enjoyed the case-based interview and talking to both of my interviewers. Great company, ethics, and very friendly atmosphere.

Interview Question – What is a mutual fund?   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2010.

Interview Details – For this entry level position, I only had to go for one day for the interview. In that day, I met three different individuals (team lead, manager, and counselor type person for personality qualifications). Very cordial and relaxed but be prepared to discuss how you would assist a difficult client, etc.

Interview Question – Explain a difficult situation at your previous job with a client or coworker and tell us how you handled it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate, but I am not sure if there is much wiggle room for negotiation unless you are at a senior management level.

Client Relations Associate Interview

Client Relations Associate
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2014.

Interview Details – For the Phone interview there were mostly behavior questions and Emphasis on having a 3.0 or better Gpa.

Interview Question – I actually told them I didn't have the 3.0 so interview ended right there.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

Interview Details – phone interview lasted about 45 minutes, a lot of behavioral questions, make sure you answer in STAR form, asked back for an in-person interview, more behavioral questions, and a case study question at the end.

Interview Question – Name a time where you...   Answer Question

Financial Processing Interview

Interviewed at Vanguard

Interview Details – After phone interview with staffing agency, was offered a final round interview on the phone at the end of the interview.

Final round on-site interview consisted of a question and answer session for an hour, two hour-long interviews, and a presentation of benefits. Hour-long interviews were behavioral/case study. Not very difficult.

Interview Question – give a specific example of a time you went above and beyond.   Answer Question

Client Relations Associate Interview

Client Relations Associate
Malvern, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2012.

Interview Details – Candidates are reached out to by a phone call. You are asked to come in to the Malvern office for two interviews and a group presentation about the company. I did not find the interviews stressful. On the whole, the interviewers are pleasant people who simply want to get to know you. They want to know you personality and how you present yourself. They want highly competent people to speak with their clients. You should highly prepare yourself in knowing the Vanguard story and principles. Be prepared for STAR format questions and to talk about yourself.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you faced a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salaries at Vanguard are not negotiable. There are, however, many opportunities for indirect compensation such as pursuing professional designations or receiving a comfortable amount of paid time off.

IT Software Developer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – I interview for a TLP position back in 2008. From what I can tell the interview process has been more a evolution. When I did it was fairly straight forward, HR person would take your resume at the college fair. You would get picked and they will have a quick 1/2 hour - 1 hour interview where they judge if you fit the Vanguard culture. Vanguard believes a lot in process and team work so questions are generally the standard behavior ones - "What teams have you worked on?", "What were some challenges?". From there you a invited to a day event which are 3 parts - 1 part interview with managers which are a mix of technical and behavioral. 2nd part overview of vanguard and lastly a group discussion with HR.

Interview Question – One of the managers asked me - "What is the difference in terms of efficiency for merge sort and quick sort?" and he followed that up with "Can you write me a sorting method on a piece of paper?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was very happy with the offer coming out of college. Vanguard pays really well provided you look at the total package.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard