Vanguard Investments Australia

3.3

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vanguard Investments Australia in November 2007.

Initial screening took place in the form of a one-on-one interview following a career-fair solicitation.
    Next step was a *detailed* phone interview.
    Final step was a full-day recruitment event which consisted of presentations by employees, meetings, one on one behavioral interviews, a panel interview, and a luncheon. The day culminated in a group discussion by the applicants.
    Although it was deceptively casual, everyone you meet is watching you *very* carefully for undesireable traits. Some staff seemed rather unfriendly and elitist, but most were down to earth and professional. Be advised, vanguard wants a LOT of information about its applicants. The usual (cover letters, resumes) as well as college transcripts, high school transcripts, writing samples, references).

Interview Questions
    • It went something like this: a client is currently recieving several different monthly statements for various services they are using. The client has asked you whether you can compile these statements into one, easy to read, monthly statement. Doing so is not a normal service, and would result in a significant time cost, however the client is a longstanding one and has provided a lot of revenue for the company. The client is annoyed with the status quo, but is unlikely to take their business elsewhere if their request is denied. What is your response?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Very helpful interviwers. Whole day of interview. Ask a lot of questions

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5-7 years   View Answer

Accelerated Development Program Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard Investments Australia in November 2011.

Very basic background questions. All questions asked were behavioral questions

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose Vanguard Accelerated Development Program?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work in asset/investment management?   Answer Question

Fixed Income Analyst Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard Investments Australia in September 2011.

I was interviewed on the phone but the inteviewer was not nice or very charming. Asked behavioral questions and was very quick and boring. She asked the typical questions, why vanguard. Asked what separated them from competition, made them special

Interview Questions
    • What separates Vanguard from competition   View Answer

Junior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard Investments Australia in March 2011.

The interview at the company consisted of 2 steps: First a technical part with 2 developers, after that a more higher-level interview with their in-house recruiter and business manager. Each piece was half an hour in length.
    In the technical they went over my resume and asked me about the projects that I completed in the past, which technologies were used and what challenges I had faced. Then a few fairly generic programming questions (OOP, databasaes, C#) , but no whiteboard exercise where I would have to write code myself.

The second part about the interview was about the company, expectations for this role, my motivation and the overall fit.

Customer Service Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vanguard Investments Australia in August 2010.

The recruiter called me and spent about 45 minutes of my time explaining the position and the company. I really knew nothing about the company and was BORED. they called me again and asked me to fly to their scottsdale office but wouldn't pay for any accommodations so I turned them down.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Vanguard? and how does our process work?   Answer Question

Client Relationship Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard Investments Australia in May 2010.

The first interview consisted of a 45-60 minute phone interview and second interview was about an hour. It consisted behavioral questions.
    Tell me of a time you lead a group/
    Tell me of a time you had a conflict with a member.
    Tell me of a time you handle several tasks, and what kind of time management strategy did you use.

Second interview was a group interview (Two people)
    Tell me of a time you had a problem.
    Tell me of a time you had to convince someone to do something.
    Tell me of a time you had to something for an internal/external client.
    Tell me of a time where succesfull a solving a technical problem, and how did you go about solving it.
    What do you do to stay updated with the Finance Market?
    What do you see yourself doing in five years? (Be specific the career growth of the company)

Main thing about the group interview, as soon as the candidate begins to talk interviewers automatically judge their character. One of the interviewer seemed as if he did want to be there that day. While I was there trying to make it an interesting and proffesional conversation that one particular interviewer made it seem as if it was an interrogation. However, that is the bad thing about people like this; they are more worried about there self interests and miss out on great candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of time you did something for an internal\externall client.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard Investments Australia in November 2009.

I had a phone interview with an HR recruiter first. Then after receiving an offer for a second round of interviews, I went to the headquarters in PA for a day of interviews. The day consisted of interviews with two different managers, lunch with department directors, a panel discussion, and a group discussion on a topic that was sent to all candidates prior to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would your biggest fan describe you? What would your biggest critic say about you?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vanguard Investments Australia in July 2008.

After much delay, I spoke with an HR rep who went over some basic pre-interview questions. Unfortunately, the communication stopped shortly after this interview. It is a very difficult company to crack, especially now.