Vanguard

53 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Malvern, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Applied online, 1 phone interview, 1 in-person interview.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Processing Associate Interview

Processing Associate
Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Vanguard contacted me through my university's career network and offered a phone interview. The call last approximately 1.5 hours. Most of that time was the interview itself (behavioral) which consisted of probably somewhere around 15 questions. After I was offered a second, on-site interview, the woman spoke told me about the interview process, in detail, and what would be expected of me. I haven't worked in any professional positions yet, so it was shocking how much detail she offered about the on-site interview. She even told me that I would be asked specific questions about news in the field and there would be a role-play. It made the on-site interview less intimidating that I already knew what would happen.
So Vanguard flew me from my university to site, picked me up at the airport and paid for my hotel stay, all that stuff. The on-site interview lasted about 4 or 5 hours.
1st hour: Q&A about the company
2nd hour: another behavioral interview, with some questions about general intuition (How would you advise a client who wants to do ______ ?)
3rd/4th hour: elaborate on the resume and role play for client assistance
5th hour: presentation about Vanguard which was mostly about their benefits*

*this was pretty weird... at one point they went on and on about the fact that they have a nice, big gym (big deal, every company has a gym)... totally unnecessary.

I heard back from Vanguard less than one week after the on-site interview.

Overall, the interview process was straightforward, high-quality without being unnecessarily intimidating, and, as I and other interviewees with whom I spoke afterwards, enjoyable.

Interview Question – The role play is really easy. If you've ever had retail or customer service experience, you will be fine. If you haven't, talk to your friends who have to make sure that you understand sensitivity to client situations, problems, etc.
The question that threw me off the most was something like: Using the STAR formation for your answer, talk about a time when a classmate didn't understand something and how you helped them.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They don't negotiate on offers/benefits (I tried). If you are cool with the pay, which is below industry average for this position, accept it. The health package and retirement plans are pretty good and you can get all of your licensing, etc.

Client Relationship Specialist
Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in November 2013.

Interview Details – The process consisted of two hour long interviews, which were both one on one. One was more focused on potential situations you would run into at Vanguard, concluding with a case study. The other was more focused on you, and you answered a lot of personality based questions, like tell me a time you did this... Nothing too difficult, just be personable and answer the questions fluidly and youll be fine.

Interview Question – In the interview focused on my resume and personality, they did ask a technical question about Vanguard. It wasn't the most difficult question, but if you didn't know the difference between at ETF and a mutual fund it would have been very difficult to answer. Be sure to look over some Vanguard material and company information before interviewing.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted to pursue other options, and they needed an answer very quickly

C2C IT Internship Interview

Malvern, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in January 2014.

Interview Details – You will get a phone interview (around 25 - 40 minutes), and if you pass this initial screening, they fly you out to their offices. It's actually quite nice there (in PA at least), everyone is very friendly, and is more interested in helping you learn about the company than critically analyzing/judging you. The two interviews itself aren't very technical in nature. There's no preparation needed for that particular aspect of the interview. They're mostly interested in your past projects and basic knowledge. Beyond that, 80% of the questions were behavioral questions. Just know your life experiences enough to relay them concisely and meaningfully.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had conflict in a team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't negotiate. It's an internship.

Client Services Representative Interview

Client Services Representative
Malvern, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me for a phone interview. Phone interview was basic - experience, resume review and behavioral questions in the STAR response format. The same day the recruiter invited me into Vanguard for the final interview a few weeks after the original phone interview. Once at vanguard they introduced the firm and described their differences than the competitors. Then there were two interviews, one a case study dealing with an upset customer the other was another behavioral interview with STAR format questions. Both on campus interviews were done by people in the client services department.

Reason for Declining – Weird culture, low pay.

Client Relationship Specialist
Malvern, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received response within 24 hours. Phone interview was straightforward personal and behavioral questions. Recruiter was friendly. Interview lasted exactly 40 minutes. Salary too low.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. What recent economic news surprised you? Tell me about a time you had to think outside the box.   Answer Question

Client Relations Associate Interview

Client Relations Associate
Malvern, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2012.

Interview Details – Candidates are reached out to by a phone call. You are asked to come in to the Malvern office for two interviews and a group presentation about the company. I did not find the interviews stressful. On the whole, the interviewers are pleasant people who simply want to get to know you. They want to know you personality and how you present yourself. They want highly competent people to speak with their clients. You should highly prepare yourself in knowing the Vanguard story and principles. Be prepared for STAR format questions and to talk about yourself.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you faced a challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salaries at Vanguard are not negotiable. There are, however, many opportunities for indirect compensation such as pursuing professional designations or receiving a comfortable amount of paid time off.

Malvern, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in October 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter first called me for a phone interview. After passing the phone interview I was called into the HQ offices in PA and had a panel interview and case study.

Interview Question – Questions regarding market trends   Answer Question

IT College to Corporate Intern Interview

Malvern, PA

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – There was first a ~10min phone screen from HR who spoke to me regarding my resume and what I wanted to do as a career. After that, I was asked to schedule a phone interview which was about 45min long and consisted of standard Behavioral Questions and a chance to ask about the internship program. My recruiter was not too helpful with answering my questions since they were a little too technical for what she knew. I was then asked to come for a final on-site interview which lasted almost the entire workday. There were about 15 applicants there on this day and we started out with a 20min networking breakfast leading into an overview of the company and what the internship program would consist of. Following the overview was a networking lunch with several new-hires and former interns. After that, we all had to go through two back-to-back interviews with IT managers, each consisting of more behavioral questions and what area of IT we would want to work in. After completing both interviews, we were all split into two groups for a "Team-Building Activity" which was obviously just used to determine which applicants took charge and worked well together. We were done after completing the activity. I received a call about a week later with an offer.

Interview Question – Describe a time when tension was present in a team-setting and how it was handled.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable hourly salary with opportunity for overtime. If you are not from around the area, many interns stay at the Villanova University housing dorms for the duration of the internship.

Retirement Plan Representative Interview

Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vanguard in September 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview that was about an hour. I was asked a few different STAR based questions along with previous employment and general questions about vanguard. The in person interview was a case study and more STAR based questions from two different hiring managers. Took about 2 hours but overall be prepared to answer questions about vanguard and how they differentiate from competitors.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to think outside the box to achieve your goal or project   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very strict no negotiations they have a set starting salary for experience

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard interview questions and advice in Malvern, PA. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by Vanguard employees and interview candidates.