Vanguard Interview Questions in Malvern, PA

Updated Jun 6, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online via Vanguard Career Site. Three days later I was contacted by a recruiter through email inviting me to participate in a phone interview, which lasted approximately 50 minutes. I was invited, during this call, to an onsite interview, which lasted about 4 hours. The process moved along quickly. The environment onsite was warm and friendly and they made you feel relaxed and welcomed.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were faced with an upset customer and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at school and was in contact with them through email. They called me and went over my resume. Asked me STAR questions and then one financial terminology question. The phone interview was only a half hour. A lot of STAR questions.." Tell me about a time that you had to show leadership" etc.
    I was then emailed that HR looked over my resume and thought I should interview for a contracting role through Randstad.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to deal with an angry customer   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on a Friday to set up a time for a phone interview. We had agreed to set up the interview for the Tuesday afternoon. The recruiter was extremely nice and easy to talk to. We had spoke on the phone for about an hour going over basic behavioral questions and why I wanted to work about Vanguard. Once she was finished with her questions for me she had asked if I had any for her. I had asked about the opportunities at Vanguard and how they would help me advance and move throughout my career. She had launched into a lengthy but highly informative speech about all of the opportunities, departments and resources that Vanguard had to offer to its employees, or crew members as they call them. I wasn't sold on the company before that, I was after that speech. She had then invited me into the office at Malvern for an in-person interview that Friday afternoon.

The interview process at the Malvern office was a four hour long process. The first hour was bringing myself and three other candidates into a room and giving us a presentation about how the company was set up, how they conduct business, all of the different departments there are and so on. The next two hours were the actual interview. The interviews took place in the Galley, or the cafeteria, which I felt was a nice touch and helped us relax so that the interview could flow more like a conversation and less like an interview. The first part of the interview was asking basic behavioral type of questions as well as questions pertaining to current events in the finance world. I would suggest doing a little reading on the Wall Street Journal or Bloomberg so that you are not blindsided by this. Once that was over they gave you a 5-10 minute break to use the restroom or regroup and then there was a case study. The first part of the case study was giving you a summary of a customer with a problem and discussion questions on the back that you are going to go over with the interviewer after reading over the information for about 10 minutes. This part is meant to get a better understanding on how you would deal with a customer who was having basic customer service problems. Be empathetic!! They are all about serving the customer first and foremost!! The second part they gave you financial information where you are supposed to advise the customer on how they are supposed to handle their accounts. Just have a basic knowledge of finance information and make sure when you are advising the customer (interviewer) that you are showing that they come first. After those interviews were over they brought us back into the room we were first in an gave us another presentation on benefits packages and basically all of the perks of working at Vanguard, which are A LOT!!

I must have done really well on the interview because by Monday morning they had called me and offered me the job. I said I needed a day to review the offer letter materials but I already knew that I was going to accept because Vanguard is an extremely great company to work for and I am looking forward to starting.

Interview Questions

• Where do you typically find news pertaining to the finance industry?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an article that you read recently that pertains to finance that you found interesting and how would that affect business for Vanguard?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

I found the job posting online and submitted my resume and was contacted by HR to set up a phone interview. That interview lasted about an hour. It was, overall, organized and pleasant. The HR person with whom I spoke was VERY nice and was upfront about salary expectations as well as benefits. It was definitely an interview, not an informal conversation (with questions that were HR-based and some that clearly came from the hiring team).

I was offered another job as I was in the process of interviewing for Vanguard. I called my HR contact and she was wonderful. She contacted the hiring team and found out that, while I was a strong candidate, there were stronger candidates. I withdrew from the process and felt good about accepting the job I was offered at another firm. While I did not get an offer, I can say that I was treated more than fairly during the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• All STAR (behavioral) questions. To prepare, go through questions (you can find them on websites) and have answers ready. My question was: What was a challenge you overcame?   Answer Question

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed at career fair then had a phone interview. Was called in for an in person interview consisting of behavioral and role play questions. Be personable and act like a human and you'll be fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

basic 30 minute overview- run through your resume. be able to talk about how you have worked with clients. know financial news/terminology. was asked to come for an in person interview the next day via email.

interview at malvern. 1 hr presentation about what vanguard does... speak up ask questions. 1 hour interview behavioral questions(mostly about client work). 1 hour role play: basically just make sure you can sound confident and nice on th phone. doesn't matter if you can't tell them where to allocate their assets. 1 hour presentation about benefits then you leave.

Interview Questions

• name a time you had to sell something difficult.
      name a time when you had to deal with a difficult client and how you handeled it.
      name a time when you had to deal with a client when they were already upset

Answer Question

Vanguard Accelerated Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, brief phone screen (30 mins) with recruiter. Waited about a week to hear back and was invited in to a student visit day with other candidates. Student visit day was very intense - consisted of multiple interviews, topical discussions, and company presentations

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based/STAR questions - tell me about a time where you had to work with someone difficult or who's ideas you didn't agree with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview process started out by applying online. The first was a brief phone interview asking me what i knew about Vanguard, what is going on in financial markets, why work at vanguard, and where do i see myself in 5 years. Was not too difficult. At the end of my phone interview they scheduled me for my final in person interview at their Malvern PA headquarters. It was an all day event. Started out as a presentation of them saying why Vanguard is a great place to work. After that was 2 interviews. The first was a basic behavioral interview. Tell me about a time when ...? A few of those. The next interview was a case study about a potential client situation. Not very difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about something you find interesting in the financial markets and how could that impact Vanguard?   Answer Question

MBA Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

After a typical phone screen, the interview was set for a full day event at the Valley Forge campus. The interview began with an intro to the company and a focus on their customer owned structure. Then there was a short discussion period on a topic that was given in advance. The group discussion included everyone at the interview session (8 people) and was watched by some HR people. Then we broke apart for two one-on-one interviews and an excel activity. The excel activity lasted 45 minutes and tested basic financial analysis skills and excel skills. The day also included lunch and a group question and answer session.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral interview questions and discussion of past experiences.   Answer Question

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA).

Interview

Vanguard has a very aggressive interview process. Vanguard follows the behavioral style interview question method. The interview process included a phone screening interview followed by multiple panel interviews. Once in the company, you have to interview for each position and it follows a very similar process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to do something that was not part of your job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation