Vanguard Interview Questions & Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

87 interviews

87 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Fund Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2013.

They are driving to drive 5 skills out of you - Time Management, Teamwork, Initiative, Communication and (I forget). You must be able to demonstrate these skills through STAR based questions. the interviews are 2-1 but the interviewers are friendly and down to earth. They are workers in the department, not interviewing professionals.

Interview Questions
    • STAR based format. They will ask you question trying to get the skills above out of you. They will want specifics. I was asked "When working on a project, name a time a group member was troublesome and how did you handle it?" < This question was asked so that the employees could determine whether you had good "Teamwork" skills.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

Referred through a contact who set me up with the interview. Behavioral questions on the phone, took about 30 minutes or so. Use the STAR method when answering the questions, as this is what they're looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed necessarily. How did you handle it and make sure that the task was still carried out in the best manner possible.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Very prompt in response to an initial application submitted; conducted a simple phone screen with some basic questions and then some behavioral interview questions. Invited on the spot to participate in an interview on the campus. Interview on campus was about 4 hours long. First session was an introduction to the company, second was a behavioral question interview, third was a phone call role play, fourth was a closing session from an HR representative who candidly answered questions. HR was very responsive and helpful throughout the whole process, they have a great system for hiring and response time for each stage was unbelievable! It was definitely important to show that you were intelligent and competent, but just as importantly that you were good at dealing with people from all walks of life- especially when you aren't talking to them face-to-face but instead are communicating over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to make a decision without having all of the information.   Answer Question

The whole day would've been on phones and there was not a lot of room for creativity in the position. The office space looked very cramped from what I could find online. Seemed like a fancy title for customer service and wanted something more dimensional and different from day-to-day.

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2013.

Hiring was done through Randstad USA for a contract position with Vanguard. My initial phone interview was with a Randstad employee to determine whether or not my background fit. After being confirmed for an in-person interview, I met with a mid-level and senior manager for several hypothetical situation-based questions along with a case study.

Interview Questions
    • The most in-depth questions referred to describing previous situations, both positive and negative, and elaborate on methodology to resolving them.   View Answer
    There were no negotiations, as the hourly rate was already determined and conveyed from Randstad. Due to beginning in a training class, hours were standard.

Acceleration Into Financial Professional Program Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in November 2013.

Phone interview with recruiter followed by on campus full day interviews, etc. 2 1 hour interviews and case study on ETFs. Pretty straight forward behavioral questions. Make sure you know what makes Vanguard unique, and show them that you align with their culture. Very competitive program so make sure to do whatever it takes to set yourself apart.

Interview Questions
    • What experiences do you have that make you a good candidate for this position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in November 2013.

A long interview process starting on the phone for an hour conversation. If it all goes well you are asked to visit the headquarters for another interview.

No negotiation

Flagship Assigned Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2010.

Behavioral interview. STAR method. HR interviews first followed by hiring manager(s)

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you knew you had the right answer, your team leader was proceeding in the wrong direction doing things there way, and how you resolved the conflict.   View Answer
    No negotiations allowed. The salary offered was firm - take it or leave it.

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Applied online, 1 phone interview, 1 in-person interview.

No negotiation.

Investment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in May 2013.

First round phone interview then an on-site interview two weeks later. Phone interview were basic screening questions (Tell me about yourself, Why Vanguard, etc...) then the on-site interview was with multiple personnel and took about half a day. Everyone was very friendly and there were a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were working in a team environment as a leader and received push back from your team. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

I applied online for the position and within two weeks was contacted for a 45 minute phone interview. The interviewer first told me about the position and then proceeded to ask several questions such as "Tell me about yourself", "Why Vanguard", "What do you already know about Vanguard", and "What is the Series 7 licensing about". The interviewer then asked me five behavioral questions. Make sure you prepare possible answers to behavioral questions online beforehand. At the end of the interviewer then asked what questions I had for her and then said the next step in the interview process is an in-person interview so you will know if you are moving forward in the process at the end of the phone interview. We then set up an interview for the following week.

In-person interview- The first interview is an hour long and you are given a case study to read and then the interviewer comes back to ask questions about the situation and how you would handle it. The second interview is an hour long behavioral interview with a different interviewer. The two interviews can be in any order.

A week and a half later I was contacted via the phone with an offer for the position.

Interview Questions
    The interviewer gave me two weeks to accept/decline.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!