Vanguard Interview Questions in Philadelphia, PA

Updated Sep 13, 2014

88 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in August 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter at Randstad for an interview. There was no preliminary phone interview, and when I went in for my in-person I learned that this was the first and final interview. This was relieving yet a bit nerve wracking. Make sure to have well-thought out reasons of what interests you about Vanguard and what the company does. Two behavioral questions; one customer service related and the other how you handle obstacles and overcome them. There was also a case study. During the interview, my interviewer said I would be a "perfect fit" for the company. Companies want to make sure your personality would mesh well with other employees. I am a friendly, upbeat person who tried to be as professional as possible and this must have really worked for my benefit. Overall an easy and pleasant interview experience. Offered the position the next day.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was about handling a client's requests and there was a lot of information to digest. As long as you can think logically and on your feet, you'll be fine.   Answer Question
    Hourly rate, non negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in July 2014.

Referred through a contact who set me up with the interview. Behavioral questions on the phone, took about 30 minutes or so. Use the STAR method when answering the questions, as this is what they're looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to make a decision without having all the information you needed necessarily. How did you handle it and make sure that the task was still carried out in the best manner possible.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Very prompt in response to an initial application submitted; conducted a simple phone screen with some basic questions and then some behavioral interview questions. Invited on the spot to participate in an interview on the campus. Interview on campus was about 4 hours long. First session was an introduction to the company, second was a behavioral question interview, third was a phone call role play, fourth was a closing session from an HR representative who candidly answered questions. HR was very responsive and helpful throughout the whole process, they have a great system for hiring and response time for each stage was unbelievable! It was definitely important to show that you were intelligent and competent, but just as importantly that you were good at dealing with people from all walks of life- especially when you aren't talking to them face-to-face but instead are communicating over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to make a decision without having all of the information.   Answer Question

The whole day would've been on phones and there was not a lot of room for creativity in the position. The office space looked very cramped from what I could find online. Seemed like a fancy title for customer service and wanted something more dimensional and different from day-to-day.

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Applied online, 1 phone interview, 1 in-person interview.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

I applied online for the position and within two weeks was contacted for a 45 minute phone interview. The interviewer first told me about the position and then proceeded to ask several questions such as "Tell me about yourself", "Why Vanguard", "What do you already know about Vanguard", and "What is the Series 7 licensing about". The interviewer then asked me five behavioral questions. Make sure you prepare possible answers to behavioral questions online beforehand. At the end of the interviewer then asked what questions I had for her and then said the next step in the interview process is an in-person interview so you will know if you are moving forward in the process at the end of the phone interview. We then set up an interview for the following week.

In-person interview- The first interview is an hour long and you are given a case study to read and then the interviewer comes back to ask questions about the situation and how you would handle it. The second interview is an hour long behavioral interview with a different interviewer. The two interviews can be in any order.

A week and a half later I was contacted via the phone with an offer for the position.

Interview Questions
    The interviewer gave me two weeks to accept/decline.

Processing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

Vanguard contacted me through my university's career network and offered a phone interview. The call last approximately 1.5 hours. Most of that time was the interview itself (behavioral) which consisted of probably somewhere around 15 questions. After I was offered a second, on-site interview, the woman spoke told me about the interview process, in detail, and what would be expected of me. I haven't worked in any professional positions yet, so it was shocking how much detail she offered about the on-site interview. She even told me that I would be asked specific questions about news in the field and there would be a role-play. It made the on-site interview less intimidating that I already knew what would happen.
    So Vanguard flew me from my university to site, picked me up at the airport and paid for my hotel stay, all that stuff. The on-site interview lasted about 4 or 5 hours.
    1st hour: Q&A about the company
    2nd hour: another behavioral interview, with some questions about general intuition (How would you advise a client who wants to do ______ ?)
    3rd/4th hour: elaborate on the resume and role play for client assistance
    5th hour: presentation about Vanguard which was mostly about their benefits*

*this was pretty weird... at one point they went on and on about the fact that they have a nice, big gym (big deal, every company has a gym)... totally unnecessary.

I heard back from Vanguard less than one week after the on-site interview.

Overall, the interview process was straightforward, high-quality without being unnecessarily intimidating, and, as I and other interviewees with whom I spoke afterwards, enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • The role play is really easy. If you've ever had retail or customer service experience, you will be fine. If you haven't, talk to your friends who have to make sure that you understand sensitivity to client situations, problems, etc.
      The question that threw me off the most was something like: Using the STAR formation for your answer, talk about a time when a classmate didn't understand something and how you helped them.
        View Answer
    They don't negotiate on offers/benefits (I tried). If you are cool with the pay, which is below industry average for this position, accept it. The health package and retirement plans are pretty good and you can get all of your licensing, etc.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

The interview was mostly behavioral. Questions were pretty standard and not difficult at all. Vanguard mostly wants to see that you are the correct fit for their company. Know your resume, research the company and culture and show that you are a team player than you will most likely do well.

Client Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Recruiter reached out to me for a phone interview. Phone interview was basic - experience, resume review and behavioral questions in the STAR response format. The same day the recruiter invited me into Vanguard for the final interview a few weeks after the original phone interview. Once at vanguard they introduced the firm and described their differences than the competitors. Then there were two interviews, one a case study dealing with an upset customer the other was another behavioral interview with STAR format questions. Both on campus interviews were done by people in the client services department.

Weird culture, low pay.

Cost Basis Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley Forge, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Received interview through Randstad recruiting company. Started with a phone interview asking behavioral questions. Was later called in for a panel interview. The first panel involved a case study in which you have 15 minutes to read over the case. All the procedures are on the case study so it is really just a matter of deciding what actions are relevant to the situation.

The case study was something along the lines of working for a company (MoneyWise) and you are presented with a client wanting to get into a closed fund but the paper work is not in good order etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were overwhelmed with work, how did you manage the situation?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase. This company and recruiting companies are notorious for cutting costs.

C2C IT Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in January 2014.

You will get a phone interview (around 25 - 40 minutes), and if you pass this initial screening, they fly you out to their offices. It's actually quite nice there (in PA at least), everyone is very friendly, and is more interested in helping you learn about the company than critically analyzing/judging you. The two interviews itself aren't very technical in nature. There's no preparation needed for that particular aspect of the interview. They're mostly interested in your past projects and basic knowledge. Beyond that, 80% of the questions were behavioral questions. Just know your life experiences enough to relay them concisely and meaningfully.

Interview Questions
    Don't negotiate. It's an internship.