Vanguard

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Malvern, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring was done through Randstad USA for a contract position with Vanguard. My initial phone interview was with a Randstad employee to determine whether or not my background fit. After being confirmed for an in-person interview, I met with a mid-level and senior manager for several hypothetical situation-based questions along with a case study.

Interview Question – The most in-depth questions referred to describing previous situations, both positive and negative, and elaborate on methodology to resolving them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations, as the hourly rate was already determined and conveyed from Randstad. Due to beginning in a training class, hours were standard.

Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Vanguard contacted me through my university's career network and offered a phone interview. The call last approximately 1.5 hours. Most of that time was the interview itself (behavioral) which consisted of probably somewhere around 15 questions. After I was offered a second, on-site interview, the woman spoke told me about the interview process, in detail, and what would be expected of me. I haven't worked in any professional positions yet, so it was shocking how much detail she offered about the on-site interview. She even told me that I would be asked specific questions about news in the field and there would be a role-play. It made the on-site interview less intimidating that I already knew what would happen.
So Vanguard flew me from my university to site, picked me up at the airport and paid for my hotel stay, all that stuff. The on-site interview lasted about 4 or 5 hours.
1st hour: Q&A about the company
2nd hour: another behavioral interview, with some questions about general intuition (How would you advise a client who wants to do ______ ?)
3rd/4th hour: elaborate on the resume and role play for client assistance
5th hour: presentation about Vanguard which was mostly about their benefits*

*this was pretty weird... at one point they went on and on about the fact that they have a nice, big gym (big deal, every company has a gym)... totally unnecessary.

I heard back from Vanguard less than one week after the on-site interview.

Overall, the interview process was straightforward, high-quality without being unnecessarily intimidating, and, as I and other interviewees with whom I spoke afterwards, enjoyable.

Interview Question – The role play is really easy. If you've ever had retail or customer service experience, you will be fine. If you haven't, talk to your friends who have to make sure that you understand sensitivity to client situations, problems, etc.
The question that threw me off the most was something like: Using the STAR formation for your answer, talk about a time when a classmate didn't understand something and how you helped them.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They don't negotiate on offers/benefits (I tried). If you are cool with the pay, which is below industry average for this position, accept it. The health package and retirement plans are pretty good and you can get all of your licensing, etc.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – interview process was half behavioral and other half mock interview of a particular scenario. Overall the experience was great interview last 2 hours.

Interview Question – Current events   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Vanguard in April 2013.

Interview Details – After an initial phone interview, I was asked in to the office for a 4 hour interview that included a briefing on the company and benefits. There was a 1 hour interview answering questions based off of a case study and reading a paragraph where you role played a phone conversation with a client. There is also a 1 hour traditional behavioral interview with a different person. Everyone that I came in contact with was professional and positive.

Interview Question – I thought the most difficult part of the interview was the role play, because it made you think on your feet.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did ask if the salary was negotiable and was then explained the "total rewards" theory. In the end I accepted the offered salary.

Processing Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Received a call for an interview concerning a processing associate job. Really impressed the interviewers with my knowledge of the company and how I would work.

Interview Question – don't remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – couldn't negotiate. offer was set in stone.

Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2012.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me and we set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview question's followed the S.T.A.R. format to the 't'. Very situational and behavioral based. The phone interview intself was very lengthy, I thought. After the phone interview I was invited to 'main campus' for a 1:1 interview. The 1:1 interview questions were almost all the same as the phone interview questions. I stated this interview came through a employee referral; just fyi: I get a sense that the company itself is a beaucratic organization. Nonetheless, it's a great place to work, they really want their employeee's to succeed.

Interview Question – Give me a specific example of a time when you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wasn't offered the position in which I initially interviewed for, but a different role.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by email from a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The following week I was called by the same recruiter who asked me about my work history, as well as some behavioral questions based on my past experience. After, she told me more about the position and set up an onsite interview where I was asked similar questions. I was also given a role play scenario. I was asked to give my reaction to the situation, what I thought the main issues were, and how I would have solved or help solve the problem. I was called the following week and offered the position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when....   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no room for negotiation in the entry level positions.

Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview consisted of STAR format or behavioral based questions, my recruiter then asked me to come in for an in-person interview. In-person interview consisted of, yet, more behavioral based questions and resume conversation plus a case study, followed by Q and A. Recruiter and 2:1 interview panel were all friendly and engaging, but that could be because I interviewed with 2 women, as men might be more intimidating for some. Employees seemed happy, conversational, and generally well dressed with a couple exceptions. It was a formal and casual mix that gave me a good first impression. By chance, after my interview concluded, I walked past the CEO Bill McNabb as he was opening the door for a fellow female employee, and assisting her with her bags. Nice touch is you ask me. Despite all of the negative reviews for Vanguard, I still plan on taking the Processing Associate position, with hopes of things getting better in time, and with so little options in this economy crisis..well..I'm just blessed to have a job with benefits.

Interview Question – What are Vanguard's 3 main values?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Malvern, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in May 2011.

Interview Details – The first phone interview was harder than I expected because it went beyond the screening questions about myself and what I knew about the company, and included behavioral questions which I had not prepared for yet. The second phone interview was much easier, with a different HR rep, and covered only screening type questions about myself, the company, and what type of work I was interested in. The in-person group interview was 4 people total for approx 2 hours, 2 groups of 2 people for an hour each. It almost seemed like good cop, bad cop because the first group of people were very nice, friendly, encouraging with fairly easy questions. The second group of people were not smiling, and asked much harder questions that I was not prepared for. I really thought I had blown it. I applied online initially, but I did have an employee referral on my application, and this employee is fairly high-level. I have been told that only gets you the interview, not the job. Once I was on the job, the 2nd group of supervisors that was not friendly in the interview, were actually very nice to me. That's the other reason I suspected the interview was conducted that way purposefully.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were very frustrated at work and how you handled it?   Answer Question
  • Most of the questions I got were exactly the ones that had been posted here by others.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. This is an entry level position.

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process began with a phone interview, asking some behavioral questions and speaking a bit about former employers and salary requirements. This lasted about 45 minutes, and I was invited to Charlotte for a 1:1 interview.

The 1:1 interviews were with two senior level managers and also included a case-study. The questions were mostly behavioral, and grading was according to the STAR method (Situation-Action-Tasks-Results). Be prepared with examples of difficult situations and problems with former groups and employers and how you used your skills and talents to resolve those problems.

Very pleasant and laid-back interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a specific example of a time that you were involved in a conflict with a customer or client over the phone and how did you resolve that conflict?   Answer Question
  • How did you prepare for this interview?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much of a negotiation phase because the salary was posted with the job description. I was satisfied with the posted salary, and was actually told that my salary would be increased by $1000 upon 6 successful months of employment with the company.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!