Vanguard

Updated Nov 1, 2014
Updated Nov 1, 2014

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Vanguard has a very aggressive interview process. Vanguard follows the behavioral style interview question method. The interview process included a phone screening interview followed by multiple panel interviews. Once in the company, you have to interview for each position and it follows a very similar process.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you had to do something that was not part of your job?   Answer Question
No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

Vanguard contacted me through my university's career network and offered a phone interview. The call last approximately 1.5 hours. Most of that time was the interview itself (behavioral) which consisted of probably somewhere around 15 questions. After I was offered a second, on-site interview, the woman spoke told me about the interview process, in detail, and what would be expected of me. I haven't worked in any professional positions yet, so it was shocking how much detail she offered about the on-site interview. She even told me that I would be asked specific questions about news in the field and there would be a role-play. It made the on-site interview less intimidating that I already knew what would happen.
    So Vanguard flew me from my university to site, picked me up at the airport and paid for my hotel stay, all that stuff. The on-site interview lasted about 4 or 5 hours.
    1st hour: Q&A about the company
    2nd hour: another behavioral interview, with some questions about general intuition (How would you advise a client who wants to do ______ ?)
    3rd/4th hour: elaborate on the resume and role play for client assistance
    5th hour: presentation about Vanguard which was mostly about their benefits*

*this was pretty weird... at one point they went on and on about the fact that they have a nice, big gym (big deal, every company has a gym)... totally unnecessary.

I heard back from Vanguard less than one week after the on-site interview.

Overall, the interview process was straightforward, high-quality without being unnecessarily intimidating, and, as I and other interviewees with whom I spoke afterwards, enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • The role play is really easy. If you've ever had retail or customer service experience, you will be fine. If you haven't, talk to your friends who have to make sure that you understand sensitivity to client situations, problems, etc.
      The question that threw me off the most was something like: Using the STAR formation for your answer, talk about a time when a classmate didn't understand something and how you helped them.
        View Answer
    They don't negotiate on offers/benefits (I tried). If you are cool with the pay, which is below industry average for this position, accept it. The health package and retirement plans are pretty good and you can get all of your licensing, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vanguard.

interview process was half behavioral and other half mock interview of a particular scenario. Overall the experience was great interview last 2 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in August 2013.

Hiring was done through Randstad USA for a contract position with Vanguard. My initial phone interview was with a Randstad employee to determine whether or not my background fit. After being confirmed for an in-person interview, I met with a mid-level and senior manager for several hypothetical situation-based questions along with a case study.

Interview Questions
    • The most in-depth questions referred to describing previous situations, both positive and negative, and elaborate on methodology to resolving them.   View Answer
    There were no negotiations, as the hourly rate was already determined and conveyed from Randstad. Due to beginning in a training class, hours were standard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vanguard in April 2013.

After an initial phone interview, I was asked in to the office for a 4 hour interview that included a briefing on the company and benefits. There was a 1 hour interview answering questions based off of a case study and reading a paragraph where you role played a phone conversation with a client. There is also a 1 hour traditional behavioral interview with a different person. Everyone that I came in contact with was professional and positive.

Interview Questions
    • I thought the most difficult part of the interview was the role play, because it made you think on your feet.   Answer Question
    I did ask if the salary was negotiable and was then explained the "total rewards" theory. In the end I accepted the offered salary.

Processing Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard.

Received a call for an interview concerning a processing associate job. Really impressed the interviewers with my knowledge of the company and how I would work.

Interview Questions
    couldn't negotiate. offer was set in stone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in May 2012.

I was contacted by email from a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The following week I was called by the same recruiter who asked me about my work history, as well as some behavioral questions based on my past experience. After, she told me more about the position and set up an onsite interview where I was asked similar questions. I was also given a role play scenario. I was asked to give my reaction to the situation, what I thought the main issues were, and how I would have solved or help solve the problem. I was called the following week and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    There is no room for negotiation in the entry level positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2012.

A recruiter contacted me and we set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview question's followed the S.T.A.R. format to the 't'. Very situational and behavioral based. The phone interview intself was very lengthy, I thought. After the phone interview I was invited to 'main campus' for a 1:1 interview. The 1:1 interview questions were almost all the same as the phone interview questions. I stated this interview came through a employee referral; just fyi: I get a sense that the company itself is a beaucratic organization. Nonetheless, it's a great place to work, they really want their employeee's to succeed.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a specific example of a time when you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.   Answer Question

I wasn't offered the position in which I initially interviewed for, but a different role.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in March 2012.

Phone interview consisted of STAR format or behavioral based questions, my recruiter then asked me to come in for an in-person interview. In-person interview consisted of, yet, more behavioral based questions and resume conversation plus a case study, followed by Q and A. Recruiter and 2:1 interview panel were all friendly and engaging, but that could be because I interviewed with 2 women, as men might be more intimidating for some. Employees seemed happy, conversational, and generally well dressed with a couple exceptions. It was a formal and casual mix that gave me a good first impression. By chance, after my interview concluded, I walked past the CEO Bill McNabb as he was opening the door for a fellow female employee, and assisting her with her bags. Nice touch is you ask me. Despite all of the negative reviews for Vanguard, I still plan on taking the Processing Associate position, with hopes of things getting better in time, and with so little options in this economy crisis..well..I'm just blessed to have a job with benefits.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vanguard in May 2011.

The first phone interview was harder than I expected because it went beyond the screening questions about myself and what I knew about the company, and included behavioral questions which I had not prepared for yet. The second phone interview was much easier, with a different HR rep, and covered only screening type questions about myself, the company, and what type of work I was interested in. The in-person group interview was 4 people total for approx 2 hours, 2 groups of 2 people for an hour each. It almost seemed like good cop, bad cop because the first group of people were very nice, friendly, encouraging with fairly easy questions. The second group of people were not smiling, and asked much harder questions that I was not prepared for. I really thought I had blown it. I applied online initially, but I did have an employee referral on my application, and this employee is fairly high-level. I have been told that only gets you the interview, not the job. Once I was on the job, the 2nd group of supervisors that was not friendly in the interview, were actually very nice to me. That's the other reason I suspected the interview was conducted that way purposefully.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were very frustrated at work and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    • Most of the questions I got were exactly the ones that had been posted here by others.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. This is an entry level position.