Vanguard Interview Questions & Reviews in Scottsdale, AZ

69 interviews

3.1

69 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Application to final interview process took about 3 weeks. I was contacted by a recruiter immediately after completing application. We set up a time for a 30 min phone interview. Phone interview is basic: questions about background, current job duties, Vanguard knowledge, etc. I was offered an in-person interview over the phone after our discussion.

In-person interview consisted of 4 one hour segments. First hour: discussed Vanguard's history and openly asked candidates what they knew about the company. Second hour: behavioral interview discussing background and experience. Expect about 8-10 STAR interview questions and was asked to describe the difference between a mutual fund and a ETF. Additionally, I was asked about current events in the financial industry. Third hour: case study with 4 follow up questions and then a follow up role play. They are looking to see how you handle problems and your steps to resolve issue. My case study involved a angry customer who needed a new closed fund set up before the end of the day. He had worked with another associate a couple weeks prior and they had overlooked a missing signature required and had not informed the customer. You must remedy the situation. Role play was a play-off from the case-study: same customer, trying to set up IRA for daughter including prior year tax contributions however daughter did not sign required paperwork. Last hour: group lecture about benefits and your of campus

Interview Questions
    • Typical STAR questions and know the difference between a mutual fund, index fund, ETF, etc.   Answer Question

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Vanguard uses the STAR system for interviews. STAR is: Situation/Task: Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand. This situation can be from a previous job, from a volunteer experience, or any relevant event. Action: Describe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did -- not the efforts of the team. Don't tell what you might do, tell what you did. Results: What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn? Be sure to have results be reflective and robust. A lot of interviewers say that people get to S-T-A and then just a short result. Make result have an impact.

Interview Questions
    • Every difficult questions must be spun in a positive way.   Answer Question
    Was there one?

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed online - interviewed at Vanguard.

Brief phone interview where they asked why vanguard?, what's an ETF?, difference between stock and bond, recent financial news you read about, etc.

FOUR (!) hour in person interview which could have easily been cut in half. First and last hour are just them talking to you about the company/benefits. Middle two hours are role play and behavioral questions, but those both go by fast so you're sitting there waiting around a ton. Towards the end, they had us sitting in a room wasting our time watching a 6 minute video about their crappy on-campus gym. WHO CARES?!

I didn't get the job because of course they threw some curveball question at me that I didn't have a scripted answer for (Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?)

Honestly thankful I didn't receive an offer because I wasn't impressed by the cult-like culture and it just seems like one giant call center. If you decide to work here, I would get your licenses and move on ASAP.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?   Answer Question

C2C Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in September 2013.

This was a multistep interview process. The first interview was at a job fair on campus--quick 5 minutes. Once they looked over your resume and thought you were a good candidate they would give you a time to sign up for an in person interview on campus. Then I had my in person interview--all STAR/behavioral questions. Then the last interview was a long site tour. It was from 7:45 AM - 3:00 PM where you had breakfast and lunch with employees, two back to back interviews (STAR questions again), and group assignment/activity.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't a question, (all questions were pretty simple in STAR form), the hardest part was the group activity. While working on a logic problem as a team you were being evaluated.   Answer Question

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in May 2014.

While looking over the case study, the interviewers left the room but forgot to use their inside voices and starting making inappropriate comments about an individual's appearance right outside the door. It doesn't really represent the firm well, very unprofessional. Just a little insight as to the type of environment you might find yourself in if you start working for them in retail client account services area. Minorities will finally be grilled in the final presentation and made a spectacle of. They are not trying to hire qualified people, they are looking for drones.

Interview Questions
    • A high net worth client who already has had previous issues with his brokerage account and is now trying to establish an IRA for his daughter. A previous rep sends him a pre-filled application for him to review and send back in. The previous rep did not make client privy to the fact that it needed to include his daughters signature. There are 3 days left before the deadline to make a contribution into the IRA towards the previous year for his daughter. To make things worse his daughter is in the middle of a high risk pregnancy and is due any time from now.   View Answer

Client Relations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2013.

Initially had a phone interview with HR that contained basic behavorial questions. Invited in for a half-day and interviewed with 2 different managers. They asked both behavorial and technical questions and they also ended with a case question.

Interview Questions
    • The case included customer service scenarios where there may have been time sensitive issues involved. They wanted to see what you found to be most important in these situations and then the steps you would take to resolve these issues.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

First there was a phone interview that wasn't too difficult, mainly asking about what you know about the company and asking you to go more in depth about your background. Then I was asked to fly down to Scottsdale, AZ for an in person interview in which they paid for the airfare, hotel room and limo service. That was all pretty sweet and a very nice touch. The actual in person interview had two separate components, a standard behavioral interview, and a more difficult role playing interview. The role playing interview was based off of a potential situation/problem you could encounter with a client. In my case someone in our company had messed up an account that a high net worth client had wanted to set up, and the result was that he couldn't contribute money to it for the previous tax year. Thus the client got angry, and it was my job to make sure we didn't lose the client. You get to read about the situation for a few minutes, and then the role playing starts, so it takes good reading retention and creativity in dealing with an irate client.

Interview Questions
    • annoying behavioral interview questions like tell us a hurdle you had in your life, and how you overcame it. Also the role playing interview was pretty different from a standard interview.   Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2013.

I was introduced to Vanguard through a recruiter on campus. I had a brief phone interview later in the week, followed by an on-campus interview. I was then invited to interview at their Scottsdale office shortly afterwards. Did not receive an offer but great company culture and very professional process.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked mostly behavioral/STAR questions. Nothing really unexpected or difficult. Helpful to express particular interest in the company and culture.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2010.

Four people interviewed me. You have to give actual examples from real life in order to respond correctly. Think STAR. Situation, Task, Action, Resolution

Not really a negotiation.

Customer Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

It is a very long process. Phone interview and very detailed in person interviews. The interviews are situational based using the STAR method - situation, task, action, result. Very detailed process. Some of it is duplicated and seems unnecessary.

Interview Questions
    • The STAR questions. They want specific situations and actions.   Answer Question

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!