Vanguard

Average Difficulty
67 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Brief phone interview where they asked why vanguard?, what's an ETF?, difference between stock and bond, recent financial news you read about, etc.

FOUR (!) hour in person interview which could have easily been cut in half. First and last hour are just them talking to you about the company/benefits. Middle two hours are role play and behavioral questions, but those both go by fast so you're sitting there waiting around a ton. Towards the end, they had us sitting in a room wasting our time watching a 6 minute video about their crappy on-campus gym. WHO CARES?!

I didn't get the job because of course they threw some curveball question at me that I didn't have a scripted answer for (Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?)

Honestly thankful I didn't receive an offer because I wasn't impressed by the cult-like culture and it just seems like one giant call center. If you decide to work here, I would get your licenses and move on ASAP.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to make a decision without all the pertinent information. What was the result?   Answer Question

C2C Intern Interview

C2C Intern
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in September 2013.

Interview Details – This was a multistep interview process. The first interview was at a job fair on campus--quick 5 minutes. Once they looked over your resume and thought you were a good candidate they would give you a time to sign up for an in person interview on campus. Then I had my in person interview--all STAR/behavioral questions. Then the last interview was a long site tour. It was from 7:45 AM - 3:00 PM where you had breakfast and lunch with employees, two back to back interviews (STAR questions again), and group assignment/activity.

Interview Question – It wasn't a question, (all questions were pretty simple in STAR form), the hardest part was the group activity. While working on a logic problem as a team you were being evaluated.   Answer Question

Client Service Representative Interview

Client Service Representative
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in May 2014.

Interview Details – While looking over the case study, the interviewers left the room but forgot to use their inside voices and starting making inappropriate comments about an individual's appearance right outside the door. It doesn't really represent the firm well, very unprofessional. Just a little insight as to the type of environment you might find yourself in if you start working for them in retail client account services area. Minorities will finally be grilled in the final presentation and made a spectacle of. They are not trying to hire qualified people, they are looking for drones.

Interview Question – A high net worth client who already has had previous issues with his brokerage account and is now trying to establish an IRA for his daughter. A previous rep sends him a pre-filled application for him to review and send back in. The previous rep did not make client privy to the fact that it needed to include his daughters signature. There are 3 days left before the deadline to make a contribution into the IRA towards the previous year for his daughter. To make things worse his daughter is in the middle of a high risk pregnancy and is due any time from now.   View Answer

Client Relations Associate Interview

Client Relations Associate
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initially had a phone interview with HR that contained basic behavorial questions. Invited in for a half-day and interviewed with 2 different managers. They asked both behavorial and technical questions and they also ended with a case question.

Interview Question – The case included customer service scenarios where there may have been time sensitive issues involved. They wanted to see what you found to be most important in these situations and then the steps you would take to resolve these issues.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2014.

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview that wasn't too difficult, mainly asking about what you know about the company and asking you to go more in depth about your background. Then I was asked to fly down to Scottsdale, AZ for an in person interview in which they paid for the airfare, hotel room and limo service. That was all pretty sweet and a very nice touch. The actual in person interview had two separate components, a standard behavioral interview, and a more difficult role playing interview. The role playing interview was based off of a potential situation/problem you could encounter with a client. In my case someone in our company had messed up an account that a high net worth client had wanted to set up, and the result was that he couldn't contribute money to it for the previous tax year. Thus the client got angry, and it was my job to make sure we didn't lose the client. You get to read about the situation for a few minutes, and then the role playing starts, so it takes good reading retention and creativity in dealing with an irate client.

Interview Question – annoying behavioral interview questions like tell us a hurdle you had in your life, and how you overcame it. Also the role playing interview was pretty different from a standard interview.   Answer Question

College to Corporate Interview

College to Corporate
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was introduced to Vanguard through a recruiter on campus. I had a brief phone interview later in the week, followed by an on-campus interview. I was then invited to interview at their Scottsdale office shortly afterwards. Did not receive an offer but great company culture and very professional process.

Interview Question – I was asked mostly behavioral/STAR questions. Nothing really unexpected or difficult. Helpful to express particular interest in the company and culture.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Associate Interview

Quality Assurance Associate
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2010.

Interview Details – Four people interviewed me. You have to give actual examples from real life in order to respond correctly. Think STAR. Situation, Task, Action, Resolution

Negotiation Details – Not really a negotiation.

Customer Relationship Associate Interview

Customer Relationship Associate
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – It is a very long process. Phone interview and very detailed in person interviews. The interviews are situational based using the STAR method - situation, task, action, result. Very detailed process. Some of it is duplicated and seems unnecessary.

Interview Question – The STAR questions. They want specific situations and actions.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in April 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through university right after college. They contacted me for a phone interview with an HR manager. Mostly discussed my prior internships and why I was interested in working in finance. After the initial phone interview, I went on site to have an interview with two managers. One was set to my boss directly, and the other was the department head.

Interview Question – Interview was not terribly difficult.   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in March 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview that was 45min long which was most behavioral and about ETFs, Mutual Funds, and Index funds. Offered to be flown out during the interview for the final process in Scottsdale. At Scottsdale had an hour case study and an hour interview. Most were behavior questions and experience. Though I nailed the interview and was above average on the case study. The next week I was emailed that they would not be extending me an offer. I was surprised that I did not receive an offer, especially with my experience and how well the interview went. I thought it was very unprofessional of them to email me for their response instead of a quick phone call, like most companies. Overall I liked the interview process, but the way they followed up for the final result added salt on the wound of not getting the job, especially after all the time traveling I had to do.

Interview Question – What is an ETF?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard Videos

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard interview questions and advice in Scottsdale, AZ. All 67 interview reviews posted anonymously by Vanguard employees and interview candidates.