Vanguard Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

I contacted them at a job fair and the next day I had an interview on campus. It was basic behavioural interview questions and a little bit about your computing background such as what languages you know. After a few weeks, I was invited to do on-site interviews. They pay for travel and other expenses if you need it. On the day of the interviews, they put you in a group of other graduates and you get to meet some of the people that work there. They describe their experiences and what it's like to work with the company as well as benefits you receive by being hired. There were two one-hour interviews that were mostly behavioural but it all depends on who is interviewing you. They provided you breakfast and dinner the day of, and were very friendly and nice the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you had to motivate group members when morale was low.   Answer Question

They are a software company. If you enjoy software, then this is a really good place to work for. However, I was looking for a more hardware-oriented position.

Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in May 2011.

Interview

Very basic. You will be called to come on campus for a quick interview. First round will cover behavioral questions. The second round (on the same day) will be with a Technical Manager. He/She will basically ask all textbook questions (including some behavioral). You will get a call from HR couple of days later. Make sure that you negotiate the salary. They will say that the salary is not negotiable but in reality it totally is.

Interview Questions

• "Describe where you noticed an opportunity to improve something and how did you handle it."   Answer Question
    • "Tell us about a time when someone disagreed with you, how did you address that."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in April 2011.

Interview

A basic, non-technical phone screen followed by a day of on-site, 1:1 interviews with IT managers. The on-site interviews were all personality/behavior questions, and we did not talk about technology skills whatsoever. More telling, I was not presented with coding problems from a tech lead. Therefore, Vanguard hires software developers without first proving they can actually code.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had difficulty cooperating with another person.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in March 2011.

Interview

I attended a Career fair at campus. I talked with the recruiter for more than an hour and she suggested for me to apply and email her for a referral. I had a phone interview and they invited me to HQ. At HQ they had several information sessions, a tour, and 2 1-hour long interviews. They fed us and then sent us home. They paid for the entire trip.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the business market? Or are you interested in the business market?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in November 2010.

Interview

In person, most of the question are related to core java and they are very basic. You should be able to explain your experience well. They will ask you question about standard java practices.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview

Was referred by a Vanguard employee. Initial phone screen with HR. For the on-site interview, met with 5 employees for 30 mins each. Everyone was friendly and nice. Interviewers were interested in my background and potential fit. I did not get any obvious behavioral questions.

Was low and non-negotiable