Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard
- Client Relationship Specialist (131)
- Client Relations Associate (30)
- Client Service Associate (19)
- Processing Associate (19)
- Client Relationship Associate (17)
- Client Service Representative (13)
- College to Corporate (13)
- Intern (11)
- Fund Financial Associate (9)
- Client Relationship Associate, Banking (8)
- Brokerage Associate (8)
- Client Relationship Administrator (7)
- Software Developer (6)
- Technology Leadership Program (6)
- VADP (5)
- Manager (4)
- Investment Specialist (4)
- Customer Relationship Associate (4)
- Problem Resolution Associate (4)
- Retirement Specialist (4)
- Accelerated Development Program (4)
- Vanguard Accelerated Development Program (4)
- Retirement Plan Specialist (3)
- Investment Consultant (3)
- IT Software Developer (3)
- Customer Relationship Specialist (3)
- IT Intern (3)
- Team Leader (3)
- IT (3)
- Analyst (3)
Software Developer Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day – interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC).
I contacted them at a job fair and the next day I had an interview on campus. It was basic behavioural interview questions and a little bit about your computing background such as what languages you know. After a few weeks, I was invited to do on-site interviews. They pay for travel and other expenses if you need it. On the day of the interviews, they put you in a group of other graduates and you get to meet some of the people that work there. They describe their experiences and what it's like to work with the company as well as benefits you receive by being hired. There were two one-hour interviews that were mostly behavioural but it all depends on who is interviewing you. They provided you breakfast and dinner the day of, and were very friendly and nice the entire time.
- Describe a time in which you had to motivate group members when morale was low. Answer Question
Reasons for Declining
They are a software company. If you enjoy software, then this is a really good place to work for. However, I was looking for a more hardware-oriented position.
Other Interview Reviews for Vanguard
Software Developer InterviewAccepted OfferNeutral ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week – interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in May 2011.
Very basic. You will be called to come on campus for a quick interview. First round will cover behavioral questions. The second round (on the same day) will be with a Technical Manager. He/She will basically ask all textbook questions (including some behavioral). You will get a call from HR couple of days later. Make sure that you negotiate the salary. They will say that the salary is not negotiable but in reality it totally is.
Software Developer InterviewAccepted OfferNegative ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in April 2011.
A basic, non-technical phone screen followed by a day of on-site, 1:1 interviews with IT managers. The on-site interviews were all personality/behavior questions, and we did not talk about technology skills whatsoever. More telling, I was not presented with coding problems from a tech lead. Therefore, Vanguard hires software developers without first proving they can actually code.
- Describe a time where you had difficulty cooperating with another person. Answer Question
Software Developer InterviewNo OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days – interviewed at Vanguard (Charlotte, NC) in March 2011.
I attended a Career fair at campus. I talked with the recruiter for more than an hour and she suggested for me to apply and email her for a referral. I had a phone interview and they invited me to HQ. At HQ they had several information sessions, a tour, and 2 1-hour long interviews. They fed us and then sent us home. They paid for the entire trip.
- What do you know about the business market? Or are you interested in the business market? Answer Question
Software Developer InterviewAccepted OfferAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at Vanguard (Malvern, PA) in November 2010.
In person, most of the question are related to core java and they are very basic. You should be able to explain your experience well. They will ask you question about standard java practices.
- Difference between HashMap and HashTable. Answer Question
Software Developer InterviewDeclined OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vanguard.
Was referred by a Vanguard employee. Initial phone screen with HR. For the on-site interview, met with 5 employees for 30 mins each. Everyone was friendly and nice. Interviewers were interested in my background and potential fit. I did not get any obvious behavioral questions.
- questions were based on resume Answer Question
Reasons for Declining
Was low and non-negotiable
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review