Vanguard

22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Flagship Assigned Representative Interview

Valley Forge, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Vanguard in August 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioral interview. STAR method. HR interviews first followed by hiring manager(s)

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you knew you had the right answer, your team leader was proceeding in the wrong direction doing things there way, and how you resolved the conflict.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations allowed. The salary offered was firm - take it or leave it.

Investment Specialist Interview

Investment Specialist
Valley Forge, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in May 2013.

Interview Details – First round phone interview then an on-site interview two weeks later. Phone interview were basic screening questions (Tell me about yourself, Why Vanguard, etc...) then the on-site interview was with multiple personnel and took about half a day. Everyone was very friendly and there were a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were working in a team environment as a leader and received push back from your team. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Valley Forge, PA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position and within two weeks was contacted for a 45 minute phone interview. The interviewer first told me about the position and then proceeded to ask several questions such as "Tell me about yourself", "Why Vanguard", "What do you already know about Vanguard", and "What is the Series 7 licensing about". The interviewer then asked me five behavioral questions. Make sure you prepare possible answers to behavioral questions online beforehand. At the end of the interviewer then asked what questions I had for her and then said the next step in the interview process is an in-person interview so you will know if you are moving forward in the process at the end of the phone interview. We then set up an interview for the following week.

In-person interview- The first interview is an hour long and you are given a case study to read and then the interviewer comes back to ask questions about the situation and how you would handle it. The second interview is an hour long behavioral interview with a different interviewer. The two interviews can be in any order.

A week and a half later I was contacted via the phone with an offer for the position.

Interview Question – What is an ETF?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The interviewer gave me two weeks to accept/decline.

Client Relations Associate Interview

Client Relations Associate
Valley Forge, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in October 2012.

Interview Details – STAR format

Interview Question – Most challenging situation you have encountered   Answer Question

Cost Basis Associate Interview

Valley Forge, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard.

Interview Details – Received interview through Randstad recruiting company. Started with a phone interview asking behavioral questions. Was later called in for a panel interview. The first panel involved a case study in which you have 15 minutes to read over the case. All the procedures are on the case study so it is really just a matter of deciding what actions are relevant to the situation.

The case study was something along the lines of working for a company (MoneyWise) and you are presented with a client wanting to get into a closed fund but the paper work is not in good order etc.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were overwhelmed with work, how did you manage the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase. This company and recruiting companies are notorious for cutting costs.

Valley Forge, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in November 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was a 40 minute phone interview. Very basic behavioral questions (why I picked my college, why finance, why Vanguard, run me through your resume). Was offered a final round interview on the phone at the end of the interview.

Final round on-site interview consisted of a question and answer session for an hour, two hour-long interviews, and a presentation of benefits. Hour-long interviews were behavioral/case study. Not very difficult.

Interview Question – They ask many behavioral questions (tell me a time when....)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Valley Forge, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2012.

Interview Details – People and office are really great. I had a phone interview which followed the STAR method and then got called on-site for an in person interview. We had a lot of HR Vanguard information thrown at us, then we met with two employees who asked us situational questions and we had to answer in the STAR method. Afterwards, we had an Industry Insight discussion where we were given a topic based on the market and had to discuss it for ten minutes with the other interns. Meanwhile the HR person was taking notes watching and analyzing our performance.

Interview Question – How did you deal with conflict?   View Answer

Valley Forge, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the development program in December. I was contacted via email by recruiter at the beginning of February for the client relationship position. I set up a phone interview where she asked general background questions. She also described what the position entitled and the salary which was mid to high 30's. I was then offered a second interview scheduled for a week later.During the second interview we were given a presentation on the company and every was given two interviews. One case study and one behavioral interview, the question were not difficult. From there a recruiter presented the benefits that are offered to employees and ended the days around 12pm.

Interview Questions

Accelerated Development Program Interview

Valley Forge, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Vanguard in February 2013.

Interview Details – The HR lady was for the Valley Forge headquarters was your typical HR employee. She asked basic STAR questions and they were quite lengthy, which could lead to long winded answers so be careful.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you got into an argument with a co-worker and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Applications Developer Interview

Valley Forge, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vanguard in December 2012.

Interview Details – Interview Process was pretty relaxed. Questions were mostly behavioral. The people were really friendly and wanted to see if you would be a good fit for the company. I did not get any tecnical questions. The interviews were two 30 minute interviews back to back with two different professionals.

Interview Question – Name a time when you know you were wrong and how did you correct your mistake   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vanguard

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard interview questions and advice in Valley Forge, PA. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Vanguard employees and interview candidates.