Vans Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014
Updated Aug 21, 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vans.

Turned in application, got called for interview a month later. Meet with assistant manager. Wore a vans sweater to represent. Probably should have re-thought that. Interview was one one one.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer came in and you didn't speak the same language?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Vans in August 2014.

I applied online and they called me a few weeks later to come in for an interview. I got there really early and explained I was there for an interview to one of the employees who was restocking socks. He said that he'd be with me in a moment and to hang out. 15 minutes after my interview time, the same employee takes me to the storage room explaining for the first time since I got there that he had been waiting for his manager. The interviewer started off the interview by saying he "Didn't like interviews" and proceeded to ask me things such as what I liked to do, my experience and so forth. Everything was really casual and by the end he said they would call in a day or two to tell me if I got the job or not. After the background check (which is totally clean, I've never been fired or arrested or anything) they never called me.

Interview Questions
    • Noting to difficult, but because I didn't have a lot of retail experience, answering the sa;es questions were tricky.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Vans.

A group interview was the first step of the process. then you split off into groups and learn about each other to present a quick bio on your partner. Everyone at the interview was hired to compete for hours.

Interview Questions
    Very easy to negotiate pay terms if you have some experience in retail.

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Vans.

Vans can have a extensive interview process if you are interviewing for upper management. The interviews can be short and lacking depth. If you can come prepared then you will no problem. Confidence goes a log way.

Interview Questions
    • if you have an open mind their questions a straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Vans.

I applied while the store was being built. It was very quick and they read off the group of ?s. Very into looks and fitting into the brand/culture.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Webster, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Vans in April 2014.

It was a very fast process, I submitted an application and walked in the next day to ask them to look at it, and ended up talking to one of the managers (about nothing important, just small talk) and she said I seemed like a friendly person offered to give me an interview the next day.

Interview Questions
    • She mostly asked about my personality (how I'd describe myself, how I would handle certain situations-calmly or otherwise, etc.), and what I had to do at my old job. She asked a lot about specific situations I was put in throughout my last job, like if I ever had to confront a coworker, what I really struggled with, and the details of my responsibilities from the last job.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate.

Floor Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vans.

I was an internal candidate so the process took about two weeks

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Vans.

After the online application I got called in for a group interview. The key is being relaxed and yourself. They will ask you some basic questions and ask you to "sell" a shoe. You don't have to be the best or already know the product. They want to know you'll listen to customers and pick up on things they say.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Vans in November 2013.

This was a very easy and laid back interview process. Hands down the easiest interview process I've ever had.

I applied online and then a couple days later I called the store myself to follow up. The girl took down my name and number and said the manager would get back to me. A couple days later, the manager gave me a call and asked me to come in for a one on one interview.

I went in the next day and had a very simple, easy interview. The people who work here are very chill and easy going, so I felt like I was just chatting with a friend rather than being interviewed.

The next day they called me and said they wanted me to work there. I accepted the offer, and a week later, I went in for my first day.

If you want a tip for getting hired, filling out an online app isn't enough. I don't think they even looked at my online app to be honest. They like people who come in and introduce themselves or call to follow up on the application. It shows initiative and they like people who put forth the effort to get hired there. It shows you want to actually work there.

So, fill out the online application and then a day or two later, stop by the store to talk to a manager or call like I did.

At other locations, they did group interviews, but for my particular location, all the interviews were one on one.

Also, when you go in for an interview, DEFINITELY wear Vans clothes/shoes. Express your enthusiasm for the brand.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between giving good customer service and "selling"   Answer Question
    • If you could go to dinner with anybody, living or dead, who would it be and why?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Vans?   Answer Question
    • Assemble an outfit at the the store (shirt, pants, shoes) and pretend I'm a customer. Try to sell it to me.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Vans.

i applied online then called the store a few days later inquiring about a possible job opportunity, they reviewed my online app and called me back later that day to schedule an interview. It was a group interview and upon arriving i realized everyone was overdressed in suits or wearing a tie and shirts tucked in with dress shoes are a shiny clean pair of vans. I wore my vans i skate in, black jeans and a button up, i have long hair and a facial hair and maybe it was a risk not shaving but i was the only one who got the job. they like people who know what they are talking about. Half the kids there knew nothing about skate shoes or the company. If you don't know anything about skating look it up and what shoes are best for what and show the interviewer you have product knowledge. They like edgy people so dress nicer then usual but don't overdress. If you get a group interview make sure what you say makes you stand out they want people who know customer service and know what to do in situations such as "fellow employees are stealing, friends want your discount, or the angry soccer mom. ect." just be chill with them generally all the managers at vans are super cool and relaxed so dont trip out there not gonna try and make you fail the interview they just wanna know about you and your experience in retail and what you know about vans.

Interview Questions
    • "what was the best experience you had from your prior workplace and why"   Answer Question

Worked for Vans? Contribute to the Community!