Vans

Average Difficulty
44 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Vans in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, and then took a resume into the location the next day. The floor supervisor who took my resume was super friendly and helpful and told me who the manager was and to come back during certain times to meet him. I went in again the next day and the manager was super friendly and relaxed and set up an interview. The day of the interview we went outside of the store and sat at a table in the mall. The interview was very long but never felt like an interview. I was asked basic questions like how I handle conflict and the usual interview stuff but it never felt fake or like I needed to say the "right" thing, just like he was trying to know me as a person. After that I had to wait a week and interview with a manager from a second store (as a second opinion). I didn't have as much rapport with her as the first, but she still seemed cool and I felt good.about it. I was then told I would hear soon about a phone interview with the district manager.
The only part I didn't like about any of these was how much time in between, I felt it took forever for them to give me an ok, but I never got the sense that there were a lot of candidates. This seems to only be their process when hiring management, not sales associates.

Interview Question – Everything was typical   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they offered me the highest wage i had been paid before at any job (Not my most recent previous employers wage,)

Webster, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Vans in April 2014.

Interview Details – It was a very fast process, I submitted an application and walked in the next day to ask them to look at it, and ended up talking to one of the managers (about nothing important, just small talk) and she said I seemed like a friendly person offered to give me an interview the next day.

Interview Question – She mostly asked about my personality (how I'd describe myself, how I would handle certain situations-calmly or otherwise, etc.), and what I had to do at my old job. She asked a lot about specific situations I was put in throughout my last job, like if I ever had to confront a coworker, what I really struggled with, and the details of my responsibilities from the last job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vans.

Interview Details – I applied while the store was being built. It was very quick and they read off the group of ?s. Very into looks and fitting into the brand/culture.

Negotiation Details – none

Woodstock, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vans in July 2013.

Interview Details – The process is very simple. There is an interview with the store manager and the district manager for all management positions. There is a background check. Be prepared to talk about previous experiences in retail, good and bad.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything I really expected from the interview. Just expect to talk about experiences in retail and how you handle the situation. Make sure to be careful and use retail language.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was pretty simple. They offered me more money and more hours than my previous job.

Floor Supervisor

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vans.

Interview Details – I was an internal candidate so the process took about two weeks

Interview Question – How would you change the team in brought on?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Vans in June 2013.

Interview Details – It was very basic and down to the point. They simply asked about what you liked about the shoes, what facts and or history do you know about VANS and how to sell a shoe.

Interview Question – Pick a shoe, and sell it to the head of employment.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Vans in June 2012.

Interview Details – There was a group of four that got interviewed.
We were asked simple questions that told a lot about our personalities and what we knew about the company.

Interview Question – Having to know about the company was difficult. You don't really need to know specifics, but you should know about what the company is doing (Warped Tour, art, skating, etc.)   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vans in November 2013.

Interview Details – This was a very easy and laid back interview process. Hands down the easiest interview process I've ever had.

I applied online and then a couple days later I called the store myself to follow up. The girl took down my name and number and said the manager would get back to me. A couple days later, the manager gave me a call and asked me to come in for a one on one interview.

I went in the next day and had a very simple, easy interview. The people who work here are very chill and easy going, so I felt like I was just chatting with a friend rather than being interviewed.

The next day they called me and said they wanted me to work there. I accepted the offer, and a week later, I went in for my first day.

If you want a tip for getting hired, filling out an online app isn't enough. I don't think they even looked at my online app to be honest. They like people who come in and introduce themselves or call to follow up on the application. It shows initiative and they like people who put forth the effort to get hired there. It shows you want to actually work there.

So, fill out the online application and then a day or two later, stop by the store to talk to a manager or call like I did.

At other locations, they did group interviews, but for my particular location, all the interviews were one on one.

Also, when you go in for an interview, DEFINITELY wear Vans clothes/shoes. Express your enthusiasm for the brand.

Interview Questions

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vans.

Interview Details – After the online application I got called in for a group interview. The key is being relaxed and yourself. They will ask you some basic questions and ask you to "sell" a shoe. You don't have to be the best or already know the product. They want to know you'll listen to customers and pick up on things they say.

Interview Question – Sell this (girls) shoe to a man.   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Vans.

Interview Details – i applied online then called the store a few days later inquiring about a possible job opportunity, they reviewed my online app and called me back later that day to schedule an interview. It was a group interview and upon arriving i realized everyone was overdressed in suits or wearing a tie and shirts tucked in with dress shoes are a shiny clean pair of vans. I wore my vans i skate in, black jeans and a button up, i have long hair and a facial hair and maybe it was a risk not shaving but i was the only one who got the job. they like people who know what they are talking about. Half the kids there knew nothing about skate shoes or the company. If you don't know anything about skating look it up and what shoes are best for what and show the interviewer you have product knowledge. They like edgy people so dress nicer then usual but don't overdress. If you get a group interview make sure what you say makes you stand out they want people who know customer service and know what to do in situations such as "fellow employees are stealing, friends want your discount, or the angry soccer mom. ect." just be chill with them generally all the managers at vans are super cool and relaxed so dont trip out there not gonna try and make you fail the interview they just wanna know about you and your experience in retail and what you know about vans.

Interview Question – "what was the best experience you had from your prior workplace and why"   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vans

Worked for Vans? Contribute to the Community!