Vans

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vans.

Turned in application, got called for interview a month later. Meet with assistant manager. Wore a vans sweater to represent. Probably should have re-thought that. Interview was one one one.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer came in and you didn't speak the same language?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Vans in August 2014.

I applied online and they called me a few weeks later to come in for an interview. I got there really early and explained I was there for an interview to one of the employees who was restocking socks. He said that he'd be with me in a moment and to hang out. 15 minutes after my interview time, the same employee takes me to the storage room explaining for the first time since I got there that he had been waiting for his manager. The interviewer started off the interview by saying he "Didn't like interviews" and proceeded to ask me things such as what I liked to do, my experience and so forth. Everything was really casual and by the end he said they would call in a day or two to tell me if I got the job or not. After the background check (which is totally clean, I've never been fired or arrested or anything) they never called me.

Interview Questions
    • Noting to difficult, but because I didn't have a lot of retail experience, answering the sa;es questions were tricky.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vans.

Vans can have a extensive interview process if you are interviewing for upper management. The interviews can be short and lacking depth. If you can come prepared then you will no problem. Confidence goes a log way.

Interview Questions
    • if you have an open mind their questions a straight forward.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vans.

A group interview was the first step of the process. then you split off into groups and learn about each other to present a quick bio on your partner. Everyone at the interview was hired to compete for hours.

Interview Questions
    Very easy to negotiate pay terms if you have some experience in retail.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Vans in June 2014.

The employees were very friendly. I befriended them fast. Interview process went by very quick. The manager got a clipboard, we stood in the corner of a store. It felt like a conversation but sadly I wasn't prepared since I got called in for the interview almost asap! The manager made this point strong that they are a very proud company. They care about the customers and make sure they get the BEST treatment. I got asked how I would be a benefit to the company, why I want the job, how Vans has been a part of my life. He gave me a few minutes to make an outfit out of everything in the store and then explain to him why I made it etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vans.

I applied while the store was being built. It was very quick and they read off the group of ?s. Very into looks and fitting into the brand/culture.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vans in April 2014.

It was a very fast process, I submitted an application and walked in the next day to ask them to look at it, and ended up talking to one of the managers (about nothing important, just small talk) and she said I seemed like a friendly person offered to give me an interview the next day.

Interview Questions
    • She mostly asked about my personality (how I'd describe myself, how I would handle certain situations-calmly or otherwise, etc.), and what I had to do at my old job. She asked a lot about specific situations I was put in throughout my last job, like if I ever had to confront a coworker, what I really struggled with, and the details of my responsibilities from the last job.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate.

Floor Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vans.

I was an internal candidate so the process took about two weeks

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vans.

After the online application I got called in for a group interview. The key is being relaxed and yourself. They will ask you some basic questions and ask you to "sell" a shoe. You don't have to be the best or already know the product. They want to know you'll listen to customers and pick up on things they say.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vans in November 2013.

This was a very easy and laid back interview process. Hands down the easiest interview process I've ever had.

I applied online and then a couple days later I called the store myself to follow up. The girl took down my name and number and said the manager would get back to me. A couple days later, the manager gave me a call and asked me to come in for a one on one interview.

I went in the next day and had a very simple, easy interview. The people who work here are very chill and easy going, so I felt like I was just chatting with a friend rather than being interviewed.

The next day they called me and said they wanted me to work there. I accepted the offer, and a week later, I went in for my first day.

If you want a tip for getting hired, filling out an online app isn't enough. I don't think they even looked at my online app to be honest. They like people who come in and introduce themselves or call to follow up on the application. It shows initiative and they like people who put forth the effort to get hired there. It shows you want to actually work there.

So, fill out the online application and then a day or two later, stop by the store to talk to a manager or call like I did.

At other locations, they did group interviews, but for my particular location, all the interviews were one on one.

Also, when you go in for an interview, DEFINITELY wear Vans clothes/shoes. Express your enthusiasm for the brand.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between giving good customer service and "selling"   Answer Question
    • If you could go to dinner with anybody, living or dead, who would it be and why?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Vans?   Answer Question
    • Assemble an outfit at the the store (shirt, pants, shoes) and pretend I'm a customer. Try to sell it to me.   Answer Question