Vans Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Salinas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vans (Salinas, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was rather annoying considering the fact that it was a group interview consisting of about 15 people. They made it clear they were only looking to hire 2-4 people. People were talking over other's. The interviewer didn't have an actual set of questions. He was just making things up as he went. I didn't feel right.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach someone you knew was stealing as they walk out the door?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Vans

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vans (Orlando, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

Went into store and was told to apply online. Called back next day and set up an interview for a Friday. Went into the store on my interview day and asked to speak to the manager and it just so happened that the person I asked was the manager then she took me to the stock room and we did the interview. She asked me a few normal questions like what are my hobbies. What would I do If a customer started yelling in my face. And what is my background like. She said they would send me an email the next day if I got the job but I never received the email.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer started yelling in your face?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vans.

Interview

Turned in application, got called for interview a month later. Meet with assistant manager. Wore a vans sweater to represent. Probably should have re-thought that. Interview was one one one.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer came in and you didn't speak the same language?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vans (Philadelphia, PA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and they called me a few weeks later to come in for an interview. I got there really early and explained I was there for an interview to one of the employees who was restocking socks. He said that he'd be with me in a moment and to hang out. 15 minutes after my interview time, the same employee takes me to the storage room explaining for the first time since I got there that he had been waiting for his manager. The interviewer started off the interview by saying he "Didn't like interviews" and proceeded to ask me things such as what I liked to do, my experience and so forth. Everything was really casual and by the end he said they would call in a day or two to tell me if I got the job or not. After the background check (which is totally clean, I've never been fired or arrested or anything) they never called me.

Interview Questions

• Noting to difficult, but because I didn't have a lot of retail experience, answering the sa;es questions were tricky.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vans.

Interview

A group interview was the first step of the process. then you split off into groups and learn about each other to present a quick bio on your partner. Everyone at the interview was hired to compete for hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very easy to negotiate pay terms if you have some experience in retail.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Vans in June 2014.

Interview

The employees were very friendly. I befriended them fast. Interview process went by very quick. The manager got a clipboard, we stood in the corner of a store. It felt like a conversation but sadly I wasn't prepared since I got called in for the interview almost asap! The manager made this point strong that they are a very proud company. They care about the customers and make sure they get the BEST treatment. I got asked how I would be a benefit to the company, why I want the job, how Vans has been a part of my life. He gave me a few minutes to make an outfit out of everything in the store and then explain to him why I made it etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vans (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied while the store was being built. It was very quick and they read off the group of ?s. Very into looks and fitting into the brand/culture.

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vans (Webster, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

It was a very fast process, I submitted an application and walked in the next day to ask them to look at it, and ended up talking to one of the managers (about nothing important, just small talk) and she said I seemed like a friendly person offered to give me an interview the next day.

Interview Questions

• She mostly asked about my personality (how I'd describe myself, how I would handle certain situations-calmly or otherwise, etc.), and what I had to do at my old job. She asked a lot about specific situations I was put in throughout my last job, like if I ever had to confront a coworker, what I really struggled with, and the details of my responsibilities from the last job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vans.

Interview

After the online application I got called in for a group interview. The key is being relaxed and yourself. They will ask you some basic questions and ask you to "sell" a shoe. You don't have to be the best or already know the product. They want to know you'll listen to customers and pick up on things they say.

Interview Questions

• Sell this (girls) shoe to a man.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Vans.

Interview

i applied online then called the store a few days later inquiring about a possible job opportunity, they reviewed my online app and called me back later that day to schedule an interview. It was a group interview and upon arriving i realized everyone was overdressed in suits or wearing a tie and shirts tucked in with dress shoes are a shiny clean pair of vans. I wore my vans i skate in, black jeans and a button up, i have long hair and a facial hair and maybe it was a risk not shaving but i was the only one who got the job. they like people who know what they are talking about. Half the kids there knew nothing about skate shoes or the company. If you don't know anything about skating look it up and what shoes are best for what and show the interviewer you have product knowledge. They like edgy people so dress nicer then usual but don't overdress. If you get a group interview make sure what you say makes you stand out they want people who know customer service and know what to do in situations such as "fellow employees are stealing, friends want your discount, or the angry soccer mom. ect." just be chill with them generally all the managers at vans are super cool and relaxed so dont trip out there not gonna try and make you fail the interview they just wanna know about you and your experience in retail and what you know about vans.

Interview Questions

• "what was the best experience you had from your prior workplace and why"   Answer Question