Varian Medical Systems

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Varian Medical Systems in July 2008.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview was with a Recruiter. We all know the rules about phone interviews (no smoking or eating; no background noises; etc) -- someone needs to tell the recruiter that they should also follow the same rules as it was clear that our meeting conflicted with his breakfast.

That being said, I had one face-to-face interview with the company. It was clear that I was very well qualified for the job -- almost exactly what the company was looking for. But instead of selling me on the job (convincing me that I was the right person) I got the perception that they thought I should just be happy even to get the interview. And when the offer was made "how dare I request time to think about it?"

Interview Question – Interviewer was asking questions that were testing my way of thinking -- he wanted to know if I could think logically. However, he had difficulty questions in a way that they were clear & understandable without giving away the answer.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Two reasons: 1) the Interviewer appeared uninterested in my qualifications / background. It was if he was simply trying to fill a slot - if I worked out then good; if not I could be replaced at a later date. 2) the company was not willing to be flexible on start date or location. If they are this demanding now what would they be like six months later??

Additionally, granted that our meeting was longer than planned (which usually is a good sign) but who pauses and takes a smoke break in the middle of an interview???

Interviews for Top Jobs at Varian Medical Systems

Worked for Varian Medical Systems? Contribute to the Community!