Varian Medical Systems

Updated Sep 30, 2014

3.3

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Field Service Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems in July 2014.

Initial phone interview was re-schedule by person twice, and then was earlier than agreed upon time.
Person kept interrupting while I was attempting to answer questions, would not let me get a word in edge-wise.
Salary expectations question was way too early in conversation.
Somewhat of a condescending attitude and arrogant interviewer.

Interview Questions
  • Are you willing to either move to X or Y location?
    Do you know what you actually make right now, because most [military] folks have no idea what they really make.

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Varian Medical Systems

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

The hiring and interview process was good. I was flown to a regional office and interviewed by a field service engineer, a district manager and a regional manager. Once hired the HR staff were a pleasure to deal with.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when I was asked to describe a problem I had and how I resolved it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

Haphazard at best, the hiring manager was recently promoted to Service Manager from installation. He knew NOTHING about field service in general. Thankfully there was a Senior Field Service Engineer at the interview as well, he pretty much ran the interview, the "manager" was a fly on the wall. Varian is the leading company in the Rad Onc Accelerator field, and they knew it, they treated me as though I were an imposition rather than a perspective emplyee.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much as expected, they did try an obvious trick question, which was promptly identified and answered.   Answer Question
    Awkward, as I was recently separated from the military and was not entirely familiar with the negotiating process.

Field Service Engineer Interview

Apply, get a call back, phone screen, and interview. Asked many technical, troubleshooting, and customer interaction questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you are under high pressure because equipment is down, how do you handle the situation?   Answer Question