Varian Medical Systems Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2015

2.7

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

Interview

Had a phone interview with two managers. It was fairly informal, we talked about past experiences on my resume as well as future career goals. Briefly brushed over some of the potential responsibilities I would have over the summer, if I got the position.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied about a month before they called me in to do an onsite interview. I was interview by three different people for the position, I am still waiting to be here back if i got the position or not. They told me they would call in the next 3-4 days.

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone briefing first. Briefed about the position. Asked why I'm looking and why i want to leave my current position. Asked to come in for in-person interview. It's only phone screening and briefing. It wasn't an actual interview yet.

Interview Questions

It was only a phone briefing about the position; it wasn't an actual interview yet.

Interview

Had 4 phone interviews all asking the same questions. Even did a ride along with the company. never received any feedback or follow ups, waste of time. I know some people who work for the company and they all love it. Must be a company once your in.

Project Design Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Initially I was contacted to meet over lunch at Varian cafeteria instead a phone interview, which went well and they called me for an on-site interview after couple of weeks. They asked me to prepare a presentation on topics related to the position based on my experience. On interview day, the interviews started with the presentation where I presented in front of panel (3-4)people. Presentation went well. Then I interviewed with about 8 other people total. I thought the interview went well, however after almost 4 weeks and hearing no response, I contacted the recruiter and the interview coordinator. The recruiter was no longer with Varian, and the HR person notified me that they made the decision to go with another candidate. I asked about the details on what was missing from my skill set that they decided on another candidate, but I did not get any response. The basis for the decision would have been very helpful to understand, and help me improve my interviewing skills, especially because I thought the interviews went very well.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interviewers were interested in my experience at my current employer. They had the basic questions such as "why do you want to join Varian", "why do you want to leave your current job?", most challenging situation"? "How do you handle the situation when people do not commit and fail to complete their tasks on time?" There were also some interviewers with weird behavioral questions such as "do you want to do your best or be the best?", "do you like slow or fast environment"?   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

1. Casual interview with the hiring manager and two other managers; 2. Technical interview; and other senior managers' interview 3. Called my references; 4. Offer The entire interview was very professional and pleasant. It was very enjoyable talking with everyone.

Interview Questions

• Casual: pretty much looked at your attitude towards the potential position. Technical: They asked me about what I was doing at the current job; my master thesis; and any related experience. They mentioned some technical difficulties that they were facing and asked me what my potential solutions would be.   Answer Question

Web Content & Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One phone interview with a recruiter, One phone interview with the person making the hiring decision, one in person interview with 3 people. A lot of the questions asked on the phone were repeated in person. A lot of the questions asked by the second interviewer were repeated by the third interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Lots of typical monotonous interview questions. I probably answered 15 questions in the same vein of "Describe to me a time when <insert scenario here> happened" After the interview, no one ever followed up with me, and I did not pursue following up with them.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Within 5 days after I applied online, the HR recruiter set-up a 30 minute phone conversation with me. His tone was almost condescending throughout the conversation. He asked me some of the standard interview questions. Here are few examples: Example 1: Recruiter: “what differentiates from the huge candidate pool we have”; Me: “Well..I don’t know who these other candidates are and what they bring to the table. This position requires experience with product launches and I have launched 9 products in last 7 years. If this is a good fit, both of us will know that very soon”. Recruiter: That’s all you got to say? Me: Yes-unless you are willing to share who those other candidates are and then I can compare and contrast my self against them. Example 2: Recruiter: “What is your current salary and what do you expect”. Me: “I’m expecting a base salary of $170k for my next job”. Recruiter: “that’s fine-what is your salary today?”. Me: “My current salary shouldn’t matter. Is $170k in your ball park”? Recruiter: “Yes, your current salary does matter. If you are making only $100k now and asking $170k, that’s not going to fly”. (he was yelling at this point) Me: “I still don’t get it. My ask is $170k- either I’m in the range or not. Salary is such a personal information-right?- say you wouldn’t share the salary you pay for similar position in your company. Would you?” Recruiter: “Ok fine. I will have to ask the hiring manager and then get back to you”. Example 3: Even though I had let him know that I’m looking for a change to get different experience/learn a different product/company, he kept stressing the point “there must be something wrong with your current company or job-tell me more about it”. By this time, I’ve had enough of “red” flags. Even though my mind was telling me to give a chance to the hiring manager, my body was not willing. I just told the HR recruiter that he doesn’t need to check with the hiring manager since I don’t want to pursue this any further. Even after that, he wrote me an e-mail back stating that he spoke to the hiring manager and I was “outside” their budget and then sent me a linked-in invitation to connect! I declined his invitation and said to my self “what a relief!”

Interview Questions

• The HR Recruiter tried to understand my current company’s product. He kept interrupting me when I tried to explain the product step by step. Eventually, when he couldn’t understand the product we make, he blamed me for not being good at communication!   1 Answer

Software QA Engineer II Interview

Interview

Simple interview about basic testing concepts. It was really easy. They asked me about SDLC and bug cycle. Most of the questions were basically based on the resume content * * *

Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I didn't have much experience with interview but I believe this was one of the best. I got through my first interview which seems like both behavior and basic knowledge in the field. I heard the second interview will be about troubleshooting a circuit.

Interview Questions

• What is your expected salary?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The first interview was held at my school, but I did make it to the second interview which I haven't done yet.