Varian Medical Systems Interview Questions

Updated Oct 6, 2014
Updated Oct 6, 2014

2.7

Software QA Engineer II Interview

Simple interview about basic testing concepts. It was really easy. They asked me about SDLC and bug cycle. Most of the questions were basically based on the resume content * * *

Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

I didn't have much experience with interview but I believe this was one of the best. I got through my first interview which seems like both behavior and basic knowledge in the field. I heard the second interview will be about troubleshooting a circuit.

Interview Questions
    The first interview was held at my school, but I did make it to the second interview which I haven't done yet.

Software QA Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

telephonic interview followed with onsite(for 4 hrs) lead,few engg, managers and directors...no written or skill tests...all thru resume and varian process inclined questions..written and verbal communication skills is very important

NON Negotiable offer process

Field Service Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems in July 2014.

Initial phone interview was re-schedule by person twice, and then was earlier than agreed upon time.
    Person kept interrupting while I was attempting to answer questions, would not let me get a word in edge-wise.
    Salary expectations question was way too early in conversation.
    Somewhat of a condescending attitude and arrogant interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to either move to X or Y location?
      Do you know what you actually make right now, because most [military] folks have no idea what they really make.
        View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

Process took about 2 weeks. Initial HR interview, followed by 2 phone interviews and then an onsite interview. Details about projects and technologies listed on the resume, questions related to design patterns and software design.

none

Anonymous Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

Long process! It took 3 months from the day I applied to get an offer. It took another month to start the job after the offer. Interview was quick, easy, and laid back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

The hiring and interview process was good. I was flown to a regional office and interviewed by a field service engineer, a district manager and a regional manager. Once hired the HR staff were a pleasure to deal with.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when I was asked to describe a problem I had and how I resolved it.   Answer Question

Test Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online – interviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

I was first contacted by an HR type individual that was out of state. She conducted a brief interview with me over the phone and then set-up a phone interview with the local hiring manager. I spent roughly 40 minutes on the phone with the hiring manager where we discussed the position. I gave my qualifications and then was asked to answer a few technical questions that was meant to test my knowledge of basic electronics. I received a follow-up phone call that scheduled an on-site interview. The interview began at 7:30 in the morning and concluded at around 1:00 in the afternoon. The overall experience was amazing. I received a tour of the facility, followed by numerous interviews with the hiring manager, production manager, HR manager, QA manager, and an electrical engineer. I was given a written electronics test followed by a hand-on practical troubleshooting test. In between all of this, we all went to lunch at a local restaurant.

Overall, Varian Medical Systems was very cordial and I was impressed with their interview process. Their facility in Las Vegas is amazing and seems to be an ideal place to work.

Interview Questions
    • What is your expected salary? This one always gets me.   View Answer

Commodity Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

It was pretty uncomplicated. I was referred by a friend and came in twice to interview with 3 interviews each time.

HR refused to negotiate and I almost didn't take the job. I asked for a week to contemplate acceptance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Plaines, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

Haphazard at best, the hiring manager was recently promoted to Service Manager from installation. He knew NOTHING about field service in general. Thankfully there was a Senior Field Service Engineer at the interview as well, he pretty much ran the interview, the "manager" was a fly on the wall. Varian is the leading company in the Rad Onc Accelerator field, and they knew it, they treated me as though I were an imposition rather than a perspective emplyee.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much as expected, they did try an obvious trick question, which was promptly identified and answered.   Answer Question
    Awkward, as I was recently separated from the military and was not entirely familiar with the negotiating process.