Varian Medical Systems Interview Questions

2.7

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems in February 2015.

1. Casual interview with the hiring manager and two other managers;
    2. Technical interview; and other senior managers' interview
    3. Called my references;
    4. Offer
    The entire interview was very professional and pleasant. It was very enjoyable talking with everyone.

Interview Questions
    • Casual: pretty much looked at your attitude towards the potential position.
      Technical: They asked me about what I was doing at the current job; my master thesis; and any related experience. They mentioned some technical difficulties that they were facing and asked me what my potential solutions would be.

Answer Question

Web Content & Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems in January 2015.

One phone interview with a recruiter, One phone interview with the person making the hiring decision, one in person interview with 3 people. A lot of the questions asked on the phone were repeated in person. A lot of the questions asked by the second interviewer were repeated by the third interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of typical monotonous interview questions. I probably answered 15 questions in the same vein of "Describe to me a time when <insert scenario here> happened"

After the interview, no one ever followed up with me, and I did not pursue following up with them.

Answer Question

Global Project Manager-New Product Introduction Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems in November 2014.

Within 5 days after I applied online, the HR recruiter set-up a 30 minute phone conversation with me. His tone was almost condescending throughout the conversation. He asked me some of the standard interview questions. Here are few examples:

Example 1:
    Recruiter: “what differentiates from the huge candidate pool we have”;
    Me: “Well..I don’t know who these other candidates are and what they bring to the table. This position requires experience with product launches and I have launched 9 products in last 7 years. If this is a good fit, both of us will know that very soon”.
    Recruiter: That’s all you got to say?
    Me: Yes-unless you are willing to share who those other candidates are and then I can compare and contrast my self against them.

Example 2:
    Recruiter: “What is your current salary and what do you expect”.
    Me: “I’m expecting a base salary of $170k for my next job”.
    Recruiter: “that’s fine-what is your salary today?”.
    Me: “My current salary shouldn’t matter. Is $170k in your ball park”?
    Recruiter: “Yes, your current salary does matter. If you are making only $100k now and asking $170k, that’s not going to fly”. (he was yelling at this point)
    Me: “I still don’t get it. My ask is $170k- either I’m in the range or not. Salary is such a personal information-right?- say you wouldn’t share the salary you pay for similar position in your company. Would you?”
    Recruiter: “Ok fine. I will have to ask the hiring manager and then get back to you”.

Example 3:
    Even though I had let him know that I’m looking for a change to get different experience/learn a different product/company, he kept stressing the point “there must be something wrong with your current company or job-tell me more about it”.

By this time, I’ve had enough of “red” flags. Even though my mind was telling me to give a chance to the hiring manager, my body was not willing. I just told the HR recruiter that he doesn’t need to check with the hiring manager since I don’t want to pursue this any further. Even after that, he wrote me an e-mail back stating that he spoke to the hiring manager and I was “outside” their budget and then sent me a linked-in invitation to connect! I declined his invitation and said to my self “what a relief!”

Interview Questions
    • The HR Recruiter tried to understand my current company’s product. He kept interrupting me when I tried to explain the product step by step. Eventually, when he couldn’t understand the product we make, he blamed me for not being good at communication!   View Answer

Software QA Engineer II Interview

Simple interview about basic testing concepts. It was really easy. They asked me about SDLC and bug cycle. Most of the questions were basically based on the resume content * * *

Test Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

I didn't have much experience with interview but I believe this was one of the best. I got through my first interview which seems like both behavior and basic knowledge in the field. I heard the second interview will be about troubleshooting a circuit.

Interview Questions
    The first interview was held at my school, but I did make it to the second interview which I haven't done yet.

Software QA Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

telephonic interview followed with onsite(for 4 hrs) lead,few engg, managers and directors...no written or skill tests...all thru resume and varian process inclined questions..written and verbal communication skills is very important

NON Negotiable offer process

Field Service Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems in July 2014.

Initial phone interview was re-schedule by person twice, and then was earlier than agreed upon time.
    Person kept interrupting while I was attempting to answer questions, would not let me get a word in edge-wise.
    Salary expectations question was way too early in conversation.
    Somewhat of a condescending attitude and arrogant interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to either move to X or Y location?
      Do you know what you actually make right now, because most [military] folks have no idea what they really make.

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

Process took about 2 weeks. Initial HR interview, followed by 2 phone interviews and then an onsite interview. Details about projects and technologies listed on the resume, questions related to design patterns and software design.

none

Anonymous Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

Long process! It took 3 months from the day I applied to get an offer. It took another month to start the job after the offer. Interview was quick, easy, and laid back.

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

The hiring and interview process was good. I was flown to a regional office and interviewed by a field service engineer, a district manager and a regional manager. Once hired the HR staff were a pleasure to deal with.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when I was asked to describe a problem I had and how I resolved it.   Answer Question