Varian Medical Systems Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2015

2.0

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems.

Interview

A strange process, got a call for interview in April, they took more than a month to shortlist resume, after first telephonic round of interview, they took again more than a month to call for second round.

In second round you they will take your interview for more than a hour, then again all the same people will be there and discussing the same thing in the form of presentation. You will be told the presentation is time bound and you will get 15 mins and later 45 mins for Q&A, but in between the presentation panel will keep asking you question and they them self will forget its time bound.

Few members in the panel were good and showed warmth, and few were even did not feel like introducing who they were !!!!

Over all, the process looked dis-organized and unplanned.

There is yet no out come even after 3 rounds.

Interview Questions

• What techniques were applied to execute the project?
    Challenges during the project?
    Lots of question on planning and estimation compression techniques.
    They are new to Agile and all have done certifications recently so expect lots of theoretical questions.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Varian Medical Systems

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Varian Medical Systems (Pune (India)) in December 2012.

Interview

Got a call directly from the HR department of Varian Medical systems, Pune. The HR explained me the position and told me that she would be sharing the JD through email, which did not happen for 3 days. I continuously followed up and finally received the JD, all the time the security used to pick the phone (I only had the board no.) and used to tell me "madam is busy in meeting". Finally i was sent the JD after multiple followups.

Had my first round of telephonic discussion scheduled and received the call on time. Had a long 45 min. discussion on various project management aspects, agile methodologies, tools etc. This time i was informed that i had cleared the first round of discussion and will be having the second round of discussion with their engineering manager and project manager followed by a presentation f2f @ Pune office.

During the 2nd round of Interview, the engineering manager was the only one who did all the talking. The project manager lady was almost silent throughout. The engineering manager never sounded patient enough to listen to my current & past work profile. He kept interrupting me every time i started answering his question. At one instance, he asked me to explain me my role in previous organization with all roles and responsibilities; which definitely takes 5 min. to explain. After listening to the complete stuff, he says "Sorry to Interrupt but i was lost somewhere, can you repeat everything again?" This was the boiling point for me, still i patiently started. As soon as i started i was again interrupted with a new question. His questions were very evidently showing that he wasn't hands on with agile methodologies. He repeatedly kept on asking me the difference between Scrum and XP because as per him, they are the same.

It is very frustrating trying to converse with an interviewer who is over-confident on his/her knowledge when actually he doesn't have much.

Interview Questions

• I don't really think Scrum and XP are different, why do you think so? This question was asked repeatedly.   1 Answer