Varicent Software

www.varicent.com

Varicent Software Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Varicent Software in February 2014.

Applied online through job searching site. Process took one month, culminating in one in-person interview. Interviewer was friendly, patient and good at listening. Strong focus on coding and ability to design well-structured programs.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to lay out structure for an interface used to build card games in Java.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varicent Software.

Initially had a test sent by email that consisted of two questions and 1 hour limit. After successfully submitting the test, had an on-site interview with two technical people. The technical people seemed nice enough, although not particularly helpful when stuck. They did not seem to appreciate the fact that I had traveled a long distance to come in for the interviews. In hindsight, if you have prepared for a month or so for interviews, you should be ok for this type of interview.

Senior Software Developer Interview

1. Given an array of integers, find two of them to sum up to a target value

2. Design an API for a card game that can shuffle and draw

Interview Questions
    • 2. Design an API for a card game that can shuffle and draw   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varicent Software.

There were two interviews. The first one was one hour long including 2 questions. Designing classes for a card game and 3-sum : if a list of numbers have 3 numbers adding up to zero. For this one first sort the list and use binary search for last number.

Interview Questions
    • In the second interview, I have asked about my opinion of two designs. One was implementing a set with a list as a variable (containment) and the other one with inheritance. Inheritance is dangerous as it is against information hiding. There are many other good reasons to avoid it too.   Answer Question

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Varicent Software in July 2012.

When I was least expecting it, I received a phone call that was used as a tool for pre-screening candidates. Because I was rather unprepared, I did not expect to move forward to the interview stage. The actual interview was conducted 1-on-1 at Varicent's office in Toronto, and there was to be a follow-up phone interview following the in-person interview, which I unfortunately did not get. The questions were mostly based on my resume, and I was also asked to provide a writing sample and answer a technical question related to the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varicent Software in May 2012.

First the guys ask about experience and previous jobs/projects, then there are technical questions, then some talks about your ideal job, what kind of development work you like, etc.

Interview Questions
    • You are given an array of integer numbers (not sorted, possibly negative, with possible repetitions). You are required to write a function that, given a number x, would find whether there are two numbers in the array summing up to this x.   View Answers (2)

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varicent Software in October 2011.

The interview was an hour long and consisted mainly of technical questions. The first question involved coming up with an algorithm to determine if 2 distinct numbers in an array give a specified sum. The interviewer expected different possible solutions and an analysis of the different algorithms. Eventually, when a suitable algorithm was found, I was asked to implement it in Java. The second technical question was to define the classes, interfaces and methods to implement a library for building card games. It was an interesting exercise in object oriented design, and I was encouraged to give my opinions about different designs and justify my choice of design.

Interview Questions
    • Create an object-oriented design for a library that would be used for building card games   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varicent Software in September 2011.

Was contacted by the HR by phone and asked usual HR questions about the resume, my skills, education. I was then scheduled for an in person interview. The atmosphere of the workplace seemed business casual.

Interview Questions
    • The first in person interview involved showing my previous work to the team lead and talking about why I think I'm a match for this position. I thought the interview went very well and I was informed that I would be contacted for a next interview which tests my design capabilities but oddly enough I didn't hear back from the company again, even after sending them a request for update a week later. This is the first company to not have the courtesy of informing me of the results of an interview.   Answer Question