Variety Wholesalers Interview Questions & Reviews

6 interviews

2.2

Assistant Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Variety Wholesalers.

The first step is to fill out an application that must be picked up from store. Then an interview is scheduled by Store Manager. If they liek you, they will ask you to take a few assessments, which is not difficult, a math test, opinion test.Then after the interviw with store manager there will be an interview with the District Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were basic, they will ask you about experience, what is custiomer service to you, ar you willing to do something that may not be specifically listed in your job description (example, clean the bathroom). Team and work ethic will be questioned. You may be asked if you have shopped there before and what kind of experience you had when visiting the store. Also how do you plan on getting tasks done. Also what would you do if a task that you assigned one of your employees was not complete? Basically they want to ensure that you get the idea that you should do whatever it takes to get the job done.   Answer Question
    I took the job but was the promises that was made to me was never fulfilled. Salary means that you are expected to work over 12 hours a day all the time.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Variety Wholesalers in May 2009.

Recruited and was interviewed by Regional VP and District Manager.
    Completed Orion Assessment
    Completed Coin test
    Completed New Hire Package
    Most important questions...
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    How do you handle employees that are constantly late or call out?
    What is your target goal as a Manager in the first 6 months?

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an employee who has been excellent up to this point and suddenly is exhibiting behavior that is contrary?   View Answer

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Variety Wholesalers in January 2012.

Applied with Rose's at least 3 times on-line over the course of 6 - 8 months. Finally, the third time got phone screen with a District Secretary. Invited to open house for new store, but I would have a scheduled appointment with DM. Had all my paperwork completed in advance to the open house. While waiting (and waiting) for the DM, had preliminary interview with company HR manager. Actually, he did all the talking and didn't want to let me say a peep. He's about 107 . He was person you had to apply to Rose's on-line, since he is the 'first stop' apparently, so to speak.
    DM comes in, interview with him and another DM from another district all with the HR Corp Manager.
    Again, they do all the talking, not interested in what I had to say, other than "yes" to various duties if I were assigned to do them, etc. Should have seen the red flags there.
    DM stated he would see me ideally as a 'floater' between locations, would I mind that. No, I'm cool with that. I learned later he pretty much pegs everyone for that, but don't hold your breath on it happening.
    Would contact me within 3 days if a "go".
    Corp 107 year old sent me a benefit package to preview, I sent the usual thank you's etc.
    Hadn't heard, so I moved on. About 9 days later, get an offer from DM. He asked which applicant I was.
    He was calling me! I told him which one I was and he said he remembered. (But I don't think he could place me, only that I was female and had extensive softlines exp.) He made an offer to begin in one store, the one farthest from my home, of course. To be a floater later, yada yada.
    Against my better judgement, I accepted and began. Turned out to be a trainwreck, as you can see my review here about the company. Next time: I'll go with my gut.

Interview Questions
    • They really don't ask any questions. They do all the talking about the company and the position.   View Answer
    No negotiation. One flat offer. Stupidly low, but I own the fact I accepted it and began with the company.

Cashier Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Variety Wholesalers.

I did not have a formal interview. They told me to come in with my social security card and ID and i refilled the app out.I also took a math and personality test. You ave to pass the test to the jo. An assistant manager went over the some of the store policies and soon after I was trained by another cashier and learned as I went along.

Cashier Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Variety Wholesalers in August 2010.

I was given a math test . I aced it . I learned that if you score below a certain amount you were immediately dismissed as unqualified . I was then given a personality test and was asked questions by the manager about as to why I chose some answers on the personality test . The manager then asked about my availability which included the final question of " can you work tomorrow?" I was hired right on the spot !!
    While I was doing the personality test , the manager called one of my references .

Interview Questions
    • Why did you put 7.25 as your desired salary?   View Answer
    none whatsoever . Its what the store manager can afford

Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Variety Wholesalers in June 2009.

A convoluted process that ended up being straight forward.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Variety Wholesalers

Worked for Variety Wholesalers? Contribute to the Community!