Varsity Tutors

Getting the Interview

34 candidate interviews

Instructor Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2013.

Interview Details – Basically 3 step process:
1) enter your info on the website
2) they call you and do a phone screening interview
3) you install some videoconferencing software (easy), then they do a more detailed interview using this, which could last up to 1 hour. The last interview seems to be basically intended to confirm that you are qualified in the subjects you claim to be able to tutor, so they are specific academic questions. For example if you want to tutor algebra, they will ask you algebra questions, etc. They might also ask you about experience etc., but in my case that aspect was mostly covered in the phone interview.

You are also supposed to be prepared to teach a short lesson on some topic. I expected to be able to choose the topic, so I prepared a chemistry lesson, but in the actual interview the interviewer chose the topic and I had to extemporaneously come up with a lesson, so be prepared for this. The topic she chose was physics (wave equation) which is not one of my stronger subjects, but fortunately I did OK. It is probably good to be conservative in the topics that you list as being able to tutor because if you list ones where you are not 100% confident, they might ask you to teach a topic you don't know well and then you will not be able to pass the interview. On the other hand, the more subjects you can teach, presumably the more assignments you will get. I recommend explaining the answers to the questions as you work them, as if you were with a student, because this is the main skill you are trying to demonstrate - i.e. not only state what the answer is but try to explain clearly why it is correct and what is the logical process used to find the answer. (you might run into time limitations though)

Another thing, make sure you have a gmail account and it is working. Because they might send you questions with google docs and if you have trouble logging in to gmail for any reason, this might cause a glitch. In my case I had not previously logged in to my google account from that IP address so google went through the security check thing, and the security code it wanted to send was to my previous cell phone which was in another country!

For math it would also be a very good idea to have a graphing calculator ready to go, I felt the need for one during the interview, though in the end I passed it without one.

Interview Questions

• I was quite embarrassed to miss a calculus question - it was something like, for the function y = x^2 + p, what is the value of p such that y = 3x will be a tangent line.   View Answer
  • In isosceles triangle RST, if angle RST=40 degrees, then what is the sum of the two identical angles in the triangle: is it greater than 120, less than 120, equal to 120 or cannot be determined?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not attempt to negotiate comp (though I should probably get more given very high experience level), because I am new in town and need the work.

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and I was contacted within 1 day by text message and e-mail notification to schedule a phone interview. I'm not sure why but the connection was very poor and I could barely understand my interviewer. I was really nervous so I didn't mention it - you absolutely should if this happens to you because it might make the difference in your case. The entire phone interview was under 15 minutes.

She asked basic questions, first about my availability, salary expectation, then she went through the subjects I requested and gave me specific questions (posted below). Finally she asked what subjects I'd prefer to tutor and what age groups. We scheduled an online interview and I was e-mailed the information.

The online interview lasted almost a full hour. I applied to teach many subjects and during the online interview I was emailed a document with questions for each of those major subject areas. I was asked to answer most of those questions. Some were strictly subject matter, multiple choice questions while others asked about the specifics of the standardized test such as time for each section and the way it is graded.

After we went through the documents, my interviewer said that she would submit her comments to the city director who makes the final hiring decision based on need.

Interview Questions

• Algebra question: What is the equation for the slope of a straight line?   View Answer
  • Trigonometry question: What are the 3 functions that define the ratio of a right triangle?   View Answer
  • Physics question: You have one ball traveling with a momentum of mv that collides with another of momentum mv. What is the total momentum after the collision?   View Answer
  • Biology question: what are the 4 nucleotide bases that make up DNA?   View Answer
  • Chemistry question: When the volume of a volume of an ideal gas increases, what happens to it's pressure?   View Answer

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview process beginning with submission of resume as well as a form about teaching experience and credentials, education, grades, test scores, etc (all of which need to be verified upon hire) which lead to a phone interview, then an in-person interview including a mock tutoring session. Four of five steps altogether over the course of a month or so.

Interview Question – Calculus! I took calculus in high school and did great, but I hadn't seen it in five years and did not remember a thing. :-) Make sure you're not too rusty with the subjects you offer to teach, because there is a quiz in person on languages, math, etc, if you know them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation-- as it should be, for contracted work like this.

Tutor Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted a few days later to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was short, standard questions and some short questions in the end about the subjects you wanted to tutor (ex: derivative of x^2). Skype interview was scheduled a week later. The lady asked similar questions and sent me some test to do while she observed and took notes. The questions were multiple choice, not hard, just remember to freshen up on the subjects you want to tutor.

Tutor Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through the website, got immediate feedback (within 24 hrs). Went through a phone screening where I was asked about my academic credentials as well as previous experience with tutoring. It was pretty standard and straight forward. A follow up Skype interview took place where I was tested on the areas I wanted to tutor in.

Interview Question – There are no curve balls. It is pretty standard from my experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was told my rate based on my credentials and experience. No room for negotiation.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2012.

Interview Details – One 15 minute phone interview - asked all the usual questions, then followed up with an in-person interview, where I had to give a mock lesson. I wasn't asked anything too difficult - I had to give my step-by-step process for explaining each question, plus a little bit of background regarding my tutoring experience, why I want to tutor, etc

Interview Question – There weren't really any unexpected questions   Answer Question

White Plains, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in November 2012.

Interview Details – It was a pretty cut and dry process: I sent in my resume, went through a phone interview with one of the recruiters in which she asked what subjects I was comfortable teaching, how much teaching experience I had and if I was ok to travel to appointments (among other questions). At the end of the phone interview, we set a date for an in-person interview. This interview mainly consists of a VT recruiter observing your teaching style in the subjects you have selected to teach (so if you chose math, they give you a few math problems; if you chose reading, they ask you to walk them through a reading comprehension passage as if they were the student, etc). At the end of the interview, if you didn't get the job, you'll know immediately (they sent me an email letting me know this a mere 5 minutes after the interview was done).

Interview Question – Depending on the subject you choose to teach, they will ask you to do a brief presentation to see how well you can explain the complexities of your subject.   Answer Question

Academic Tutor
Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through the website. I was contact to set up an initial phone interview, which I scheduled for the following day. This interview was more of a formality, they asked my preferences, hours, and expectations in terms of a salary and quoted me what they could offer. She asked me to schedule the next interview which was done through video conference similar to skype. Received an email about 4-5 days later saying my services are not required at this time.

Interview Question – Questions were specific to the areas you want to tutor in. Most questions were appropriate, some easy and some hard. A few however were very specific questions that were not conceptual at all.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted online, suing Zoom, which worked much better than I anticipated. It had the feel of a real interview. My interviewer was punctual and personable, and really listed to my answers.

Interview Question – I was asked to sketch out an essay answer in response to an SAT style writing prompt, which had an odd feeling, since the interview was entirely oral. The interviewer, however, gave me plenty of time to work out a potential approach to the question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Salary seems to be based on experience level.

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – Very flexible with interview process and incredibly friendly interviewer. Overall a very low stress situation.

Interview Question – They had you solve some problems in front of them - could be difficult if it is subjects that you haven't quite brushed up on in a while.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Interviews for Top Jobs at Varsity Tutors

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Varsity Tutors interview questions and advice. All 34 interview reviews posted anonymously by Varsity Tutors employees and interview candidates.