Varsity Tutors Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.6

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Austin, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Basically 3 step process:
    1) enter your info on the website
    2) they call you and do a phone screening interview
    3) you install some videoconferencing software (easy), then they do a more detailed interview using this, which could last up to 1 hour. The last interview seems to be basically intended to confirm that you are qualified in the subjects you claim to be able to tutor, so they are specific academic questions. For example if you want to tutor algebra, they will ask you algebra questions, etc. They might also ask you about experience etc., but in my case that aspect was mostly covered in the phone interview.

You are also supposed to be prepared to teach a short lesson on some topic. I expected to be able to choose the topic, so I prepared a chemistry lesson, but in the actual interview the interviewer chose the topic and I had to extemporaneously come up with a lesson, so be prepared for this. The topic she chose was physics (wave equation) which is not one of my stronger subjects, but fortunately I did OK. It is probably good to be conservative in the topics that you list as being able to tutor because if you list ones where you are not 100% confident, they might ask you to teach a topic you don't know well and then you will not be able to pass the interview. On the other hand, the more subjects you can teach, presumably the more assignments you will get. I recommend explaining the answers to the questions as you work them, as if you were with a student, because this is the main skill you are trying to demonstrate - i.e. not only state what the answer is but try to explain clearly why it is correct and what is the logical process used to find the answer. (you might run into time limitations though)

Another thing, make sure you have a gmail account and it is working. Because they might send you questions with google docs and if you have trouble logging in to gmail for any reason, this might cause a glitch. In my case I had not previously logged in to my google account from that IP address so google went through the security check thing, and the security code it wanted to send was to my previous cell phone which was in another country!

For math it would also be a very good idea to have a graphing calculator ready to go, I felt the need for one during the interview, though in the end I passed it without one.

Interview Questions

• I was quite embarrassed to miss a calculus question - it was something like, for the function y = x^2 + p, what is the value of p such that y = 3x will be a tangent line.   1 Answer
    • In isosceles triangle RST, if angle RST=40 degrees, then what is the sum of the two identical angles in the triangle: is it greater than 120, less than 120, equal to 120 or cannot be determined?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not attempt to negotiate comp (though I should probably get more given very high experience level), because I am new in town and need the work.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted within 1 day by text message and e-mail notification to schedule a phone interview. I'm not sure why but the connection was very poor and I could barely understand my interviewer. I was really nervous so I didn't mention it - you absolutely should if this happens to you because it might make the difference in your case. The entire phone interview was under 15 minutes.

She asked basic questions, first about my availability, salary expectation, then she went through the subjects I requested and gave me specific questions (posted below). Finally she asked what subjects I'd prefer to tutor and what age groups. We scheduled an online interview and I was e-mailed the information.

The online interview lasted almost a full hour. I applied to teach many subjects and during the online interview I was emailed a document with questions for each of those major subject areas. I was asked to answer most of those questions. Some were strictly subject matter, multiple choice questions while others asked about the specifics of the standardized test such as time for each section and the way it is graded.

After we went through the documents, my interviewer said that she would submit her comments to the city director who makes the final hiring decision based on need.

Interview Questions

• Algebra question: What is the equation for the slope of a straight line?   1 Answer
    • Trigonometry question: What are the 3 functions that define the ratio of a right triangle?   1 Answer
    • Physics question: You have one ball traveling with a momentum of mv that collides with another of momentum mv. What is the total momentum after the collision?   1 Answer
    • Biology question: what are the 4 nucleotide bases that make up DNA?   1 Answer
    • Chemistry question: When the volume of a volume of an ideal gas increases, what happens to it's pressure?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Portland, OR) in September 2014.

Interview

There are two interviews.

INTERVIEW ONE (phone)
    Just covered a few basics to see what you would be ready to teach right away and how far you're willing to travel. Quick, 10-minute interview followed by scheduling your second interview.

INTERVIEW TWO (webcam via Zoom software)
    Here you go through practice questions: first, SAT, and then, math tutoring questions. Brush up on your knowledge of the SAT (they asked me what are the two different categories of questions on the SAT Reading section), and practice some math questions in advance if you're rusty. I said I could tutor Algebra II, but it turns out I could only answer one of 5 questions (one of the questions was taking the log of 64, base 4... forgot how to do that on a calculator!), and I struggled with the Algebra I questions (e.g., figure out slope and perpendicular slope given two points)

Academic Tutor: Science + Math Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2014.

Interview

Process took about a week. There was an initial 10 minute interview where they ask basic questions about your background and availability. They also want to know how far you are willing to travel, a point they will bring up again at the later interview. They also ask if you're willing to accept the approx. $20/hr they offer depending on your area.

I was later scheduled for the online video interview using Zoom, which you have to download the software and register an account. I was asked to take some pre-tests on their website, as well as upload my unofficial transcripts and other documents before the video interview. The pre-tests are timed and multiple choice. The software will let you know if you passed them at the end of the test but will not give you a score. I took a pre-test for both Algebra 1 and Algebra 2, I passed the first one but did not pass the second. You cannot take them again.

During the video interview I was asked more about my background and given several questions from both math and biology, asking to show how I would explain them to a student. Some of the questions were difficult, but they are understanding if you are not sure of the answer. They asked me to explain the math questions but just answer the biology ones.

I was asked what area of science I am most fluent in and I said biology, which is a huge discipline. The questions I was asked did not focus on one area, and ranged from microbiology to anatomy, which I thought was a poor choice because this approach does reflect a real tutoring situation where you will have access to resources that your student is using. In any case I answered to the best of my ability, knowing I got a few right.

After the video interview I was told that my information would be passed on to the director in my area and they would get in touch with me. I received an email a couple days later saying that due to their current needs they did not have a spot for me in my area.

In the end, it added up to a lot of effort and time on my part, just to be told that they didn't have enough demand in my area, which probably continues after you are "hired" anyway. They just want to have you on call if a student pops up, provided you're willing to travel at your own expense, for the least amount per hour they can get away with.

Interview Questions

• Rationalize a fraction involving radicals. Identify the function of a specified enzyme. Identify the proportion of a given nucleotide in a genome given the percentage of another.   Answer Question

Academic Tutor Interview

Application

Interview

The initial application took some time to fill out, but the response came within a week. I was able to choose the subjects to tutor in. The interview itself was done through a video chat. Questions were based around possible problems in your selected subject areas and how you would explain the steps to a student that is trying to learn. The video chat function used for the interview is also one that can be used for lessons later on.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult aspect is definitely trying to demonstrate how one would do a lesson, particularly since that depends a lot on the skill level of the student.   Answer Question

Certified Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors in December 2014.

Interview

The Human Resource Manager was very professional and asked me great questions. I liked the fact that they have a two step interview process. I was impressed that the online interview lasted over one hour. It made me feel really comfortable and that the company really cared about finding excellent tutors.

Interview Questions

• How would you work with a student who is not motivated to learn the subject?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Washington, DC) in December 2013.

Interview

After my online application had been approved, there was both a phone interview to discuss my prior tutoring/teaching experience, preferred subjects, and hourly rate requirements, and a Skype interview where I had to complete 3 subject matter quizzes that were emailed to me during the interview. I also filled out forms for a criminal background check and a driving history check.

Interview Questions

• Academic problem sets given during the interview. You know ahead of time that you will be quizzed, but you get the problems emailed to you after you start the interview.   1 Answer

Personal Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two rounds. First one is phone interview, which is only a few screen questions such like do u have a car to travel. Second round is a online interview in which u use a online interactive website to test ur online tutoring skills. Interviewer will have tutoring subject questions for u and u should explain them using the online system

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The interview process was pretty easy. I was very surprised as to how quickly they hire. I assume it's because the demand for tutors in my area is very high. The second interview is done via Webcam, and unfortunately I was having technical difficulties. They were very accommodating and understanding. It all happens very fast, though.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

I applied online. A very easy phone interview on basic information, like subjects and availability. Then had a video interview. The person asked me to answer a few more questions on the subject I chose. Then she asked me to explain two math problems to her and teach her Chinese. It not hard as long as you know how to teach.