Varsity Tutors Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.5

Tutor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interviewing is a two step process. After checking your online application (and assuming the test scores posted are high enough), they call you to verify the subjects you are interested in teaching and then schedule and "in person" interview using a skype-like platform. The "in person" interview then consists of them asking about your teaching style and then doing a few sample questions to make sure you know your stuff. Before being taken on as a tutor, you must submit a transcript and score reports verifying your academic experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, but be prepared to solve a couple of problems in your intended field of teaching during the in person interview..   Answer Question
    They have pre-set wages based on your area, so negotiation is really just saying how far you are willing to travel, and which subjects you prefer.

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

I had an initial interview where the lady asked me about myself. She wanted to know what I had studied, what kind of jobs I had done and if I had any tutoring experience. Once I was done with that interview she scheduled me for another Skype like interview with this other lady who then asked me very technical questions. Those questions mostly pertained to differential equations (math), biology, biochemistry, physiology, and physics. She asked me about where my experience and how I would tutor students in different circumstances.

Interview Questions
    • There were many difficult questions. Make sure you study for the subjects you have listed.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2014.

I applied online on a Tuesday night and by the time I woke up the next morning I had received a request for a phone interview. It was scheduled for Thursday afternoon, and the interviewer called right on time. She was very friendly and all of the questions were expected: Where did you hear about us? Do you have reliable transportation? What is your availability? etc.

Interview Questions

I already accepted another job.

Sales Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2014.

Found ad on Craigslist in late June. Two different jobs advertised, but I responded to Sales Director as best fit. Very fast response with initial screening phone interview scheduled quickly. After that, was asked to speak with President and arrange another phone interview which I did. I was then asked to set up a Skype interview with the VP which I did as well. This was in total about 1 hour. All went well. Spent another hour with VP on Skype. Used two different job titles (City Director and Sales Director) to describe what seems to be same job. I asked for clarification on what the job actually was and she seemed generally annoyed with my questions. Halfway in, I was offered an extremely low salary with vaguely-discussed commission possibility and benefits. She mentioned they were scheduling August training. I decided to proceed out of curiosity, got an email saying she needed to schedule me with another interview with a regional director. I let her know I'd be out of town for two weeks, and never heard from her when I checked in upon my return. The whole process was very frustrating and lasted over two months of yes/maybe responses. It was unclear when the process would ever end and so I called to get an update. Still no firm answer, so I told her I was moving on. Professional courtesy would have involved a simple communication of "we are no longer considering you for this position" or "this position has been filled at this time", but they seem to be hedging their bets with candidates, training people and then doing final interviews. Very strange hiring program.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or tough questions. Very light on questions in general. President had the most relevant questions. "How would you address a parent's or student's concerns about tutoring?" We talked about the benefits of one-on-one tutoring vs. small group and on-line options. He also addressed some of the negative comments from Glassdoor.   Answer Question

City Wide Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2014.

First interview by phone, very basic questions like tell me about yourself and why would you be a good choice for this position. Second interview with company CEO was very similar to the first. CEO said they were interviewing several people for the position and that I would hear from them soon. It has been about 10 days and no contact.

Director of Tutoring Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2014.

They arrange a interview for 20 minutes and in less than 4 minutes it was over. The person was like in rush and made 3 or 4 questions at the same time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Background: My friend and I had phone interviews the same day. I am certified with five years of tutoring experience. She is not certified and has tutored only sporadically. I have a master's degree in teaching, etc., and her master's is in a subject area. Results: 1) In her phone interview, she was told that tutors in our state make a certain amount per hour (which was not very high). She was later sent an email saying that they are not looking for her subject matter in our state. 2) In my interview, with a different call person on the same day, I was asked what I was expected to be paid. I believed what they told my friend at the time so I said that same number. They responded by low balling it by $1. I was shocked but I went along with it. 3) In my Skype-like interview, they tried to get me to do two Calculus 3 problems without any preparation. My calculator has been recently stolen, etc. I told her I would not tutor Calculus 3 for that low of a pay and terminated the conversation. I have tutored over 5000 people in real life, including on the internet, and tutoring simply does not work this way. You will at least have a book or some kind of resource and not a nervous interviewer watching you. The fact is I did not want to work there, but the way they low balled and through the hardest possible problem at you in a phone interview for a part time job that does not pay enough is ridiculous. You can find your own tutees for almost twice as much.

Interview Questions
    • Orthogonal vectors with an unknown number, without preparation, while being stared at.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2014.

They responded right away to my application, and I had a phone interview within 3 hours of contacting them. They asked me about which subjects I would be willing to tutor, and then asked a few questions to test my knowledge in some of the more advanced subjects. It went well, and I had an interview via a Skype-like program the next day. They asked me about how i would handle particular situations and explained the way everything would work. They offered me a job immediately. Be aware, this is an independent contractor position.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a student that doesn't want to work or is unruly?   Answer Question
    I gave them a minimum amount of $20 an hour and they met it right away.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2014.

1: phone interview lasting about 15 minutes. was asked general info (education, tutoring experience, what subjects i want to tutor, etc.)
    2: scheduled "skype" interview the next day. the interviewer was incredibly kind and understanding. she asked harder math questions so we could bypass the elementary math courses. we talked in between questions about tutoring experiences and how i would handle different situations. really enjoyed this interview

Interview Questions
    • If a student is bringing you homework every day and not doing it because he/she realizes you will do it for him/her, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

ompany requires 1 month advance notice if you want to quit, you may not have students for a while depending on your circumstances

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2014.

The first interview with Varsity Tutors was over the phone. It lasted no longer than five minutes. The woman was calm and direct. I think she listened to what I had to say. There was nothing subject specific. She asked me:
    how I heard of them
    specifically what my availability was
    if I had a car and/or how I could get around
    the radius of travel
    experience tutoring
    what subjects I'd like to tutor most
    a story about my favorite experience teaching/tutoring

She seemed pleased with my answers, and said that she would input my answers to their questions into their system and that I would receive either a phone call or email in the next few days regarding a possible follow up interview, which from what I can tell is a video chat. I'll review that later.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were easy, the only one that took a moment of thought was the final one. I told her about a student who had to display publicly what he had learned and did well. (It was a piano performance for his church of a cover song I helped him write and sing to.)   View Answer

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!