Varsity Tutors Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.5

Private Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Austin, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

I completed an online application and was selected for a phone interview. The phone interview took about 30 minutes and went well, so an in-person interview was arranged at the end of the call. I was asked to bring my college transcript, driver's license, and official SAT and AP test scores. The in-person interview lasted about 45 minutes and involved questions about teaching style, how I would teach particular example problems, etc. I was offered the position at the end of the in-person interview and had my first tutoring client within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What age group would you prefer to work with?   Answer Question
    • What experiences have you had teaching/tutoring/working with students?   Answer Question

Negotiation

During the phone interview phase, I was asked for my rate and it was actually lower than the base rate that Varsity's tutors get!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (South Bend, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview and then a Skype interview. The phone interview involved routine questions about my experience and my interest in Varsity Tutors. The Skype interview lasted an hour. I was asked questions pertaining to the areas I had applied to tutor. The questions were pretty straightforward and the interviewer was very nice when I was unsure about a European History question.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a student came in with what they thought was a perfect paper?   Answer Question

Private Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

There was a phone interview, then a skype interview a few days later. The phone interview consisted of the run of the mill behavioral interview questions. We also negotiated salary that day. After passing that interview, they sent me a series of questions to answer for the subjects I was tutoring (All math). During the skype interview, I was asked to answer some of the questions in the packet and explain how I found the answer.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a student that was unmotivated?   Answer Question

Academic Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews and one video call. The phone interviews were relatively easy, simple questions such as "tell me about yourself" and "can you legally work in the USA?". Also wanted to know if I had a car and if I could drive to meet students. They went over my academic experience and had me fill out a form listing all of the subjects that I wanted to tutor. Overall the process was easy and they wanted me to join the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Portland, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I then scheduled a phone interview. During the phone interview, I answered basic questions about qualifications, availability, and subjects to be tutored. At the end of the phone interview, I scheduled webcam interview. During the webcam interview, I confirmed my qualifications, availability, and was assessed by the interviewer in subjects I requested to tutor. I then engaged in a mock tutoring session with the interviewer. I was offered a contract immediately after completion of this interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would be a tip you'd give to your student about time management in a standardized test?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

I applied online. A very easy phone interview on basic information, like subjects and availability. Then had a video interview. The person asked me to answer a few more questions on the subject I chose. Then she asked me to explain two math problems to her and teach her Chinese. It not hard as long as you know how to teach.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The interview process was pretty easy. I was very surprised as to how quickly they hire. I assume it's because the demand for tutors in my area is very high. The second interview is done via Webcam, and unfortunately I was having technical difficulties. They were very accommodating and understanding. It all happens very fast, though.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in September 2014.

Interview

20 minute initial phone interview. Basic questions about experience and interest.
    Follow-up video interview on Varsity's online platform. Several mock tutoring questions, designed to test your knowledge and see how you would work with students.

Interview Questions

• What age of student do you prefer to work with and why?   Answer Question

Personal Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two rounds. First one is phone interview, which is only a few screen questions such like do u have a car to travel. Second round is a online interview in which u use a online interactive website to test ur online tutoring skills. Interviewer will have tutoring subject questions for u and u should explain them using the online system

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allendale, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Allendale, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

First stage interview is a phone call. They ask you very simple questions and what your schedule will be like.
    Second stage interview is Skype technical interview, where they ask you questions about the topics you chose to tutor for.

Interview Questions

• How would you teach a kid, who does not want to be tutored?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You are not able to negotiate the wages. It is $18 an hour to teach a kid.