Varsity Tutors

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Average Difficulty
46 candidate interviews

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2014.

Interview Details – The first interview with Varsity Tutors was over the phone. It lasted no longer than five minutes. The woman was calm and direct. I think she listened to what I had to say. There was nothing subject specific. She asked me:
how I heard of them
specifically what my availability was
if I had a car and/or how I could get around
the radius of travel
experience tutoring
what subjects I'd like to tutor most
a story about my favorite experience teaching/tutoring

She seemed pleased with my answers, and said that she would input my answers to their questions into their system and that I would receive either a phone call or email in the next few days regarding a possible follow up interview, which from what I can tell is a video chat. I'll review that later.

Interview Question – All the questions were easy, the only one that took a moment of thought was the final one. I told her about a student who had to display publicly what he had learned and did well. (It was a piano performance for his church of a cover song I helped him write and sing to.)   View Answer

Academic Tutor Interview

Academic Tutor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – Initial communications included a scheduled phone interview. I was asked basic availability questions followed my questions regarding my previous academic training, previous tutoring experiences, and which age groups I would like to tutor. Although I was not instructed to have pen/paper/computer with me at the time of the interview, it appeared they did want to ask content based questions that would require these resources. They followed up with non-resource requiring content based questions.

I was then asked to coordinate a video-chat interview, which last less than 5 minutes, ended abruptly, and asked only the basic questions from the phone interview.

Interview Question – If a student were having trouble with understanding DNA replication, what would you do to try and help them understand it.   Answer Question

City Wide Director Interview

City Wide Director

Interviewed at Varsity Tutors

Interview Details – You meet with 3-4 people asking the same questions. I am sure to verify your submission levels. They will even fly you somewhere and take you to breakfast or lunch but don't really ask you anything there.

Negotiation Details – N/A

Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Found an ad listing on Craigslist, filled out application. Received a text message and email to schedule a phone interview just hours after I had filled out the application. Phone interview took place three days later (first available time they had)--which took about 20 minutes. Interviewer asked me about my availability, range at which I would be willing to drive for clients, experience with tutoring (which is super important), subjects I would be willing to tutor, etc. At the end of the phone interview the interviewer will let you know whether you qualify for a in person interview, which takes place over a video platform called zoom (pretty user friendly). I was able to schedule the in person interview for the next day.

They say the in person interview will take 1 hour, but it only took 20 minutes for me! After clarifying availability and driving range, the interviewer will give you a few questions in each subject material (screen sharing) that you can tutor and will ask you answer them. As long as you get about half of them right and EXPLAIN CLEARLY your reasoning and how you got the answer (don't just blurt out an answer after seconds of silence), you should be fine. Depending on how you do, the interviewer will give you a chance to ask questions about the company and will send an email with the contract and auto insurance forms to esign. Good luck!

Interview Question – Even though I had taken a Human Anatomy and Physiology class in high school, the questions that the interviewer asked me to do were nothing I had ever seen before. So make sure to pick subjects that you did really well in high school or college (meaning B+/A- or higher)!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – $14/hour seems to be the flat rate in my area.

Very Easy Interview

Certified Tutor Interview

Certified Tutor
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in December 2011.

Interview Details – I answered an ad seeking tutors; I think it may have been on Craigslist. The company responded very quickly and requested a phone interview. During the phone interview, the interviewer covered the basic structure of the company and job (tutors answer to market directors, hours are logged in an online system, payment is disbursed via direct deposit, this job should not be a primary means of support due to seasonal fluctuations in tutoring requests, etc). I told the interviewer what subjects I was comfortable tutoring, and she set up a face-to-face interview with a recruiter in my area so that I could take mini-tests to verify that I could tutor the subjects I said I was capable of tutoring. The tests were pretty simple, but I was a bit miffed that I was expected to recall specific formulas without being allowed to look them up - how often do we remember every detail of a subject without using reference materials? I also had to submit to a background check and provide auto insurance verification. I was emailed most of the documents, including my contract, to e-sign. Once all the paperwork was complete, I began receiving tutoring requests via email.

Negotiation Details – There's really no room for negotiation. They offer you the same hourly wage they offer every other tutor in your market. There is some room for a raise eventually, but it's only by a couple dollars per hour.

Varsity Tutors Interview

Varsity Tutors

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in May 2014.

Interview Details – Interview is done on phone with very strong questions. They were able to answer my questions clearly and were friendly and warm during interview call. At the end of them asking me questions, they asked how they could help me best understand the opportunity. Did I have any questions about the company or the role was helpful.

Interview Question – What was your greatest disappointment in your last job.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was concerned about not being able to get enough hours to earn what I needed. Not a good fit for me but I believe it is a strong company that others would appreciate working with.

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – Simple phone interview, asked about my availability and tutorial experience. Online interview was short since I only want to teach one subject. They let me did some questions based on the subject that I want to teach, and they asked what kind of teaching strategy I'd like to use.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Academic Tutor Interview

Academic Tutor
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in May 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Short, directed questions: how did I hear about them, why work for them, what days & time I could work, which weekend days, verified my zipcode, if I owned a car. Then asked what amount of $ I could work for and I said it would depend: I said that I live in the East Bay of SF and said that if I went into SF I needed a higher hourly rate ($30) & to be paid bridge tolls and gas, and if I worked int the East Bay I could be paid less an hour (like $25) but needed my gas paid. [Gas is currently $4.25 a gallon, bridge tolls are $5-6 dollars.] Varsity Tutors said they 'capped salaries at $23' as they were 'a national company.' I said I read online at Glassdoor :) that a recent SF tutor got paid $25 and got gas & tolls paid. She then conceded that yes, test prep in SF gets paid $25 but no bridge and gas. I said that was not true about what I recently read. I also so that $23 was less than I already was paid working a local university part time in SF. I told her this salary is less than what I am currently making at a private university and that this is a very expensive place to live, so what they are offering is not condusive to local Bay Area Workers. She started talking over me and was very hostile. I said I was going to end the coversation and hung up. This conversation lasted 5 minutes.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. It's all about their marketing and their needs first and how you fit into their picture.   View Answer

City Wide Director Interview

City Wide Director

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – I am still in the interview process. I cant say much yet because I dont know the outcome. I will write back when I know how things go. I have an in person interview so I will be able to let you guys know how it all goes

Interview Question – I'm still unclear as Im still in he process   Answer Question

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – The interview was literally like 5 minutes. They asked just simple questions like what my education experience was, how far I'm willing to travel, verifying subjects I want to teach, which age level I prefer, etc. There weren't any of the more open-ended questions for getting to know someone. It seems kind of random if they want you or not even if you have good experience.

Interview Question – Do you need to review certain topics?   Answer Question

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!