Varsity Tutors

Updated Oct 31, 2014

2.6

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Tutor Interview

The first phone interview was short, I was asked basic questions regarding subject interests, why I want to tutor, my experience with each subject and how much experience I have had tutoring. I was scheduled for an online video interview which entailed answering content area questions. The interviewer was very friendly and understanding if a question was beyond my scope of knowledge and would move on to the next question; some questions were difficult some were very easy.

Interview Questions
  • Be prepared to demonstrate how you would explain the problem to a student who is having difficulty understanding, the interviewer will pretend to be this student.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2014.

The interview process was actually enjoyable. Review advanced topics if you have been out of school for awhile! I was not able to answer a calculus question but the other questions were basic math/science questions. They want to see that you are able to explain your answer. So even if you know how to solve a problem make sure you explain to them like you are talking to the child.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about evaluating an integral. I did not know where to start.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2014.

The woman interviewing me was very friendly. First I was asked where I found the job offer. Afterwards I had to tell something about my experience in tutoring. Since I´m not an US resident, I needed an employment permit. And because I didn´t have one at time of the interview, the interview was scheduled to another time.

Interview Questions
    • There haven´t been any unexpected questions in this interview.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interviewing is a two step process. After checking your online application (and assuming the test scores posted are high enough), they call you to verify the subjects you are interested in teaching and then schedule and "in person" interview using a skype-like platform. The "in person" interview then consists of them asking about your teaching style and then doing a few sample questions to make sure you know your stuff. Before being taken on as a tutor, you must submit a transcript and score reports verifying your academic experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, but be prepared to solve a couple of problems in your intended field of teaching during the in person interview..   Answer Question
    They have pre-set wages based on your area, so negotiation is really just saying how far you are willing to travel, and which subjects you prefer.

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors.

I had an initial interview where the lady asked me about myself. She wanted to know what I had studied, what kind of jobs I had done and if I had any tutoring experience. Once I was done with that interview she scheduled me for another Skype like interview with this other lady who then asked me very technical questions. Those questions mostly pertained to differential equations (math), biology, biochemistry, physiology, and physics. She asked me about where my experience and how I would tutor students in different circumstances.

Interview Questions
    • There were many difficult questions. Make sure you study for the subjects you have listed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in September 2014.

There are two interviews.

INTERVIEW ONE (phone)
    Just covered a few basics to see what you would be ready to teach right away and how far you're willing to travel. Quick, 10-minute interview followed by scheduling your second interview.

INTERVIEW TWO (webcam via Zoom software)
    Here you go through practice questions: first, SAT, and then, math tutoring questions. Brush up on your knowledge of the SAT (they asked me what are the two different categories of questions on the SAT Reading section), and practice some math questions in advance if you're rusty. I said I could tutor Algebra II, but it turns out I could only answer one of 5 questions (one of the questions was taking the log of 64, base 4... forgot how to do that on a calculator!), and I struggled with the Algebra I questions (e.g., figure out slope and perpendicular slope given two points)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Background: My friend and I had phone interviews the same day. I am certified with five years of tutoring experience. She is not certified and has tutored only sporadically. I have a master's degree in teaching, etc., and her master's is in a subject area. Results: 1) In her phone interview, she was told that tutors in our state make a certain amount per hour (which was not very high). She was later sent an email saying that they are not looking for her subject matter in our state. 2) In my interview, with a different call person on the same day, I was asked what I was expected to be paid. I believed what they told my friend at the time so I said that same number. They responded by low balling it by $1. I was shocked but I went along with it. 3) In my Skype-like interview, they tried to get me to do two Calculus 3 problems without any preparation. My calculator has been recently stolen, etc. I told her I would not tutor Calculus 3 for that low of a pay and terminated the conversation. I have tutored over 5000 people in real life, including on the internet, and tutoring simply does not work this way. You will at least have a book or some kind of resource and not a nervous interviewer watching you. The fact is I did not want to work there, but the way they low balled and through the hardest possible problem at you in a phone interview for a part time job that does not pay enough is ridiculous. You can find your own tutees for almost twice as much.

Interview Questions
    • Orthogonal vectors with an unknown number, without preparation, while being stared at.   View Answer

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2014.

I applied online on a Tuesday night and by the time I woke up the next morning I had received a request for a phone interview. It was scheduled for Thursday afternoon, and the interviewer called right on time. She was very friendly and all of the questions were expected: Where did you hear about us? Do you have reliable transportation? What is your availability? etc.

Interview Questions

I already accepted another job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2014.

They responded right away to my application, and I had a phone interview within 3 hours of contacting them. They asked me about which subjects I would be willing to tutor, and then asked a few questions to test my knowledge in some of the more advanced subjects. It went well, and I had an interview via a Skype-like program the next day. They asked me about how i would handle particular situations and explained the way everything would work. They offered me a job immediately. Be aware, this is an independent contractor position.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a student that doesn't want to work or is unruly?   Answer Question
    I gave them a minimum amount of $20 an hour and they met it right away.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2014.

The first interview with Varsity Tutors was over the phone. It lasted no longer than five minutes. The woman was calm and direct. I think she listened to what I had to say. There was nothing subject specific. She asked me:
    how I heard of them
    specifically what my availability was
    if I had a car and/or how I could get around
    the radius of travel
    experience tutoring
    what subjects I'd like to tutor most
    a story about my favorite experience teaching/tutoring

She seemed pleased with my answers, and said that she would input my answers to their questions into their system and that I would receive either a phone call or email in the next few days regarding a possible follow up interview, which from what I can tell is a video chat. I'll review that later.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were easy, the only one that took a moment of thought was the final one. I told her about a student who had to display publicly what he had learned and did well. (It was a piano performance for his church of a cover song I helped him write and sing to.)   View Answer