Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

2.7

Tutor Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors.

A phone interview was first I assume to make sure I had a pulse. They asked a couple questions that anyone who has passed 7th grade math or science would be able to answer. Then I was scheduled for an in-person interview. The interviewer asked me to pretend like he was the person being tutored and show how I would help with a few different problems. The problems were super easy. Basic high school physics problems. Overall very simple process

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in January 2015.

On-line application-->Phone Interview-->Final Interview (online via webcam). There is an online assessment to make sure you know your areas prior to the final interview but the questions were quite easy. You can expect similar questions for the final interview so the online assessments are a good prep. I wouldn't sweat the phone interview, they were very nice and just had basic questions about availability and background.

Interview Questions
    • Calc (taking the derivative of a fraction). Took me a few minutes to remember the quotient rule and apply it correctly. Not a overly difficult question but I just made a silly sign error and had to rework the problem. Physics (standard cannon ball fired at a certain angle and speed how high does it go). I wouldn't say it was anything unexpected but if you're rusty I would recommend reviewing the material prior to the interview.   Answer Question
    They actually offered me a little more than what I asked for, nice surprise. I think they're just being honest and even about who gets paid what. I would expect their rate, no higher or lower.

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in December 2014.

I applied online and was selected for a phone interview. I got reminders constantly about the interview via email and a lot of very impressive systems for scheduling the interview and preparing yourself for the phone interview. They warn you that you will be answering questions in your subject and should have a paper and pencil ready. When the time came, I waited, ready after doing everything they suggest to prepare. I waited for half an hour after my scheduled time. They never called.

Tutor Interview

The first phone interview was short, I was asked basic questions regarding subject interests, why I want to tutor, my experience with each subject and how much experience I have had tutoring. I was scheduled for an online video interview which entailed answering content area questions. The interviewer was very friendly and understanding if a question was beyond my scope of knowledge and would move on to the next question; some questions were difficult some were very easy.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to demonstrate how you would explain the problem to a student who is having difficulty understanding, the interviewer will pretend to be this student.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2014.

The interview process was actually enjoyable. Review advanced topics if you have been out of school for awhile! I was not able to answer a calculus question but the other questions were basic math/science questions. They want to see that you are able to explain your answer. So even if you know how to solve a problem make sure you explain to them like you are talking to the child.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about evaluating an integral. I did not know where to start.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2014.

The woman interviewing me was very friendly. First I was asked where I found the job offer. Afterwards I had to tell something about my experience in tutoring. Since I´m not an US resident, I needed an employment permit. And because I didn´t have one at time of the interview, the interview was scheduled to another time.

Interview Questions
    • There haven´t been any unexpected questions in this interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allendale, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allendale, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2014.

First stage interview is a phone call. They ask you very simple questions and what your schedule will be like.
    Second stage interview is Skype technical interview, where they ask you questions about the topics you chose to tutor for.

Interview Questions
    • How would you teach a kid, who does not want to be tutored?   View Answer
    You are not able to negotiate the wages. It is $18 an hour to teach a kid.

Tutor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interviewing is a two step process. After checking your online application (and assuming the test scores posted are high enough), they call you to verify the subjects you are interested in teaching and then schedule and "in person" interview using a skype-like platform. The "in person" interview then consists of them asking about your teaching style and then doing a few sample questions to make sure you know your stuff. Before being taken on as a tutor, you must submit a transcript and score reports verifying your academic experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, but be prepared to solve a couple of problems in your intended field of teaching during the in person interview..   Answer Question
    They have pre-set wages based on your area, so negotiation is really just saying how far you are willing to travel, and which subjects you prefer.

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors.

I had an initial interview where the lady asked me about myself. She wanted to know what I had studied, what kind of jobs I had done and if I had any tutoring experience. Once I was done with that interview she scheduled me for another Skype like interview with this other lady who then asked me very technical questions. Those questions mostly pertained to differential equations (math), biology, biochemistry, physiology, and physics. She asked me about where my experience and how I would tutor students in different circumstances.

Interview Questions
    • There were many difficult questions. Make sure you study for the subjects you have listed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in September 2014.

There are two interviews.

INTERVIEW ONE (phone)
    Just covered a few basics to see what you would be ready to teach right away and how far you're willing to travel. Quick, 10-minute interview followed by scheduling your second interview.

INTERVIEW TWO (webcam via Zoom software)
    Here you go through practice questions: first, SAT, and then, math tutoring questions. Brush up on your knowledge of the SAT (they asked me what are the two different categories of questions on the SAT Reading section), and practice some math questions in advance if you're rusty. I said I could tutor Algebra II, but it turns out I could only answer one of 5 questions (one of the questions was taking the log of 64, base 4... forgot how to do that on a calculator!), and I struggled with the Algebra I questions (e.g., figure out slope and perpendicular slope given two points)