Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.7

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The interview process was pretty easy. I was very surprised as to how quickly they hire. I assume it's because the demand for tutors in my area is very high. The second interview is done via Webcam, and unfortunately I was having technical difficulties. They were very accommodating and understanding. It all happens very fast, though.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

I applied online. A very easy phone interview on basic information, like subjects and availability. Then had a video interview. The person asked me to answer a few more questions on the subject I chose. Then she asked me to explain two math problems to her and teach her Chinese. It not hard as long as you know how to teach.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Portland, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I then scheduled a phone interview. During the phone interview, I answered basic questions about qualifications, availability, and subjects to be tutored. At the end of the phone interview, I scheduled webcam interview. During the webcam interview, I confirmed my qualifications, availability, and was assessed by the interviewer in subjects I requested to tutor. I then engaged in a mock tutoring session with the interviewer. I was offered a contract immediately after completion of this interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would be a tip you'd give to your student about time management in a standardized test?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

A phone interview was first I assume to make sure I had a pulse. They asked a couple questions that anyone who has passed 7th grade math or science would be able to answer. Then I was scheduled for an in-person interview. The interviewer asked me to pretend like he was the person being tutored and show how I would help with a few different problems. The problems were super easy. Basic high school physics problems. Overall very simple process

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in January 2015.

Interview

On-line application-->Phone Interview-->Final Interview (online via webcam). There is an online assessment to make sure you know your areas prior to the final interview but the questions were quite easy. You can expect similar questions for the final interview so the online assessments are a good prep. I wouldn't sweat the phone interview, they were very nice and just had basic questions about availability and background.

Interview Questions

• Calc (taking the derivative of a fraction). Took me a few minutes to remember the quotient rule and apply it correctly. Not a overly difficult question but I just made a silly sign error and had to rework the problem. Physics (standard cannon ball fired at a certain angle and speed how high does it go). I wouldn't say it was anything unexpected but if you're rusty I would recommend reviewing the material prior to the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They actually offered me a little more than what I asked for, nice surprise. I think they're just being honest and even about who gets paid what. I would expect their rate, no higher or lower.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Varsity Tutors in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was selected for a phone interview. I got reminders constantly about the interview via email and a lot of very impressive systems for scheduling the interview and preparing yourself for the phone interview. They warn you that you will be answering questions in your subject and should have a paper and pencil ready. When the time came, I waited, ready after doing everything they suggest to prepare. I waited for half an hour after my scheduled time. They never called.

Tutor Interview

Interview

The first phone interview was short, I was asked basic questions regarding subject interests, why I want to tutor, my experience with each subject and how much experience I have had tutoring. I was scheduled for an online video interview which entailed answering content area questions. The interviewer was very friendly and understanding if a question was beyond my scope of knowledge and would move on to the next question; some questions were difficult some were very easy.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to demonstrate how you would explain the problem to a student who is having difficulty understanding, the interviewer will pretend to be this student.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was actually enjoyable. Review advanced topics if you have been out of school for awhile! I was not able to answer a calculus question but the other questions were basic math/science questions. They want to see that you are able to explain your answer. So even if you know how to solve a problem make sure you explain to them like you are talking to the child.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a question about evaluating an integral. I did not know where to start.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors in October 2014.

Interview

The woman interviewing me was very friendly. First I was asked where I found the job offer. Afterwards I had to tell something about my experience in tutoring. Since I´m not an US resident, I needed an employment permit. And because I didn´t have one at time of the interview, the interview was scheduled to another time.

Interview Questions

• There haven´t been any unexpected questions in this interview.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Allendale, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

First stage interview is a phone call. They ask you very simple questions and what your schedule will be like.
    Second stage interview is Skype technical interview, where they ask you questions about the topics you chose to tutor for.

Interview Questions

• How would you teach a kid, who does not want to be tutored?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You are not able to negotiate the wages. It is $18 an hour to teach a kid.