Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY).

Interview

After I applied for the position i received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was very brief. After the phone interview I received another email to set up an online interview. Something came up which made me accidentally forget about the interview. I received a phone call from them shortly after my scheduled interview time, informing me about the interview. They were very accommodating, the woman on the phone asked me if I was still able to participate within the online interview, which I was not. The lady on the phone understood and allowed me to reschedule my interview, which I happily did. When it was time for my interview we were having technical difficulties. I couldn't believe that all of this was happening! The woman who was trying to interview me had her technical support staff call me to tell me to complete some trouble shooting techniques, which worked. I was apologetic for everything and she was very friendly and understanding; She then proceeded to conduct the interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The phone interview was very brief. It consisted mostly of talking about availability, the subjects you tutor, and some subject questions. Then, you can move on to a video interview that lasts about an hour during which you answer more subject questions and demonstrate your teaching style. I liked it because they didn't ask you any useless questions that you often need to deal with at other job interviews, like "what is one of your failures," etc.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your accomplishments?   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Very quick and well organized, I spoke with someone on the phone and then was immediately offered to move on to the next stage of interviews, which was basically via Skype. During this interview, I was tested on my knowledge of the subjects I wished to tutor.

Interview Questions

• How would you help a third grader work through an essay prompt?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY).

Interview

Fairly straightforward process. There's a 15-20 min phone interview first, which is mostly casuals and informational. The interviewer may ask a few quick questions about the material you want to teach. After the phone interview, I set up an online interview the following week. This consisted of more informational questions, as well as a short mock-teaching section.

Interview Questions

• If the diameter of a circle doubles, what happens to the area?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

This was a preliminary interview with logistic and behavioral questions. It was pleasant. I was asked about my background, interests, tutoring experience, etc. After this interview, I moved on to a second interview which focuses on simulating tutoring.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

There were two phone interviews. Both people that I spoke with were very friendly and welcoming. It was a positive experience. For my second interview, we role played that I was a tutor and the interviewer was the student struggling academically. I explained concepts to questions. This role play was done over Skype video.

Interview Questions

• Describe your background in education (teaching or tutoring).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone. The interview time was scheduled over the internet. It was very brief. The interviewer simply collected information regarding your credentials. The second was also scheduled over the phone and interview was about 1 hour or so and it was over the video chat. Before that time, you were expected to turn in your test scores and to take some subject tests. During the interview, ou are introduced to their online tutoring platform and expected to solve and teach questions from various subjects on the fly.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to solve some questions in Algebra, Chemistry and Biology. They also asked what I like doing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Portland, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

They asked me a few questions but they primarily had me answer questions in the subject areas that I had been approved for (you have to take online assessments for the subjects you wish to tutor before the interview). One or two of the questions involved me trying to tutor the interviewer on how to solve the problem; this tested my tutoring skills as well as subject matter knowledge.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

There was a brief phone interview followed by a longer interview over their video/lesson platform; both interviews included brief questions/tutoring demonstrations related to the subjects I was interested in tutoring. Between interviews they asked me to upload scores for the tests I said I could tutor for and take subject tests on their website. I received an email two days after the video interview saying that they would not have enough students for me in my area. I guess it was a responsible move if they have had too many tutor applications, though they could have done that calculation earlier in the process. The email said I had been accepted to create a profile with University Tutor instead, so I will see if there is any demand there.

Interview Questions

• For one subject I had to talk the interviewer-as-student through a problem. For another subject I had 3 minutes to write an example tutoring lesson in their document editor. Nothing too rigorous if you know the subjects.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Varsity Tutors (South Bend, IN) in April 2015.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview and then a Skype interview. The phone interview involved routine questions about my experience and my interest in Varsity Tutors. The Skype interview lasted an hour. I was asked questions pertaining to the areas I had applied to tutor. The questions were pretty straightforward and the interviewer was very nice when I was unsure about a European History question.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a student came in with what they thought was a perfect paper?   1 Answer