Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.5

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Tutor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interviewing is a two step process. After checking your online application (and assuming the test scores posted are high enough), they call you to verify the subjects you are interested in teaching and then schedule and "in person" interview using a skype-like platform. The "in person" interview then consists of them asking about your teaching style and then doing a few sample questions to make sure you know your stuff. Before being taken on as a tutor, you must submit a transcript and score reports verifying your academic experience.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing really unexpected, but be prepared to solve a couple of problems in your intended field of teaching during the in person interview..   Answer Question
They have pre-set wages based on your area, so negotiation is really just saying how far you are willing to travel, and which subjects you prefer.

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

I had an initial interview where the lady asked me about myself. She wanted to know what I had studied, what kind of jobs I had done and if I had any tutoring experience. Once I was done with that interview she scheduled me for another Skype like interview with this other lady who then asked me very technical questions. Those questions mostly pertained to differential equations (math), biology, biochemistry, physiology, and physics. She asked me about where my experience and how I would tutor students in different circumstances.

Interview Questions
    • There were many difficult questions. Make sure you study for the subjects you have listed.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2014.

I applied online on a Tuesday night and by the time I woke up the next morning I had received a request for a phone interview. It was scheduled for Thursday afternoon, and the interviewer called right on time. She was very friendly and all of the questions were expected: Where did you hear about us? Do you have reliable transportation? What is your availability? etc.

Interview Questions

I already accepted another job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Background: My friend and I had phone interviews the same day. I am certified with five years of tutoring experience. She is not certified and has tutored only sporadically. I have a master's degree in teaching, etc., and her master's is in a subject area. Results: 1) In her phone interview, she was told that tutors in our state make a certain amount per hour (which was not very high). She was later sent an email saying that they are not looking for her subject matter in our state. 2) In my interview, with a different call person on the same day, I was asked what I was expected to be paid. I believed what they told my friend at the time so I said that same number. They responded by low balling it by $1. I was shocked but I went along with it. 3) In my Skype-like interview, they tried to get me to do two Calculus 3 problems without any preparation. My calculator has been recently stolen, etc. I told her I would not tutor Calculus 3 for that low of a pay and terminated the conversation. I have tutored over 5000 people in real life, including on the internet, and tutoring simply does not work this way. You will at least have a book or some kind of resource and not a nervous interviewer watching you. The fact is I did not want to work there, but the way they low balled and through the hardest possible problem at you in a phone interview for a part time job that does not pay enough is ridiculous. You can find your own tutees for almost twice as much.

Interview Questions
    • Orthogonal vectors with an unknown number, without preparation, while being stared at.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2014.

They responded right away to my application, and I had a phone interview within 3 hours of contacting them. They asked me about which subjects I would be willing to tutor, and then asked a few questions to test my knowledge in some of the more advanced subjects. It went well, and I had an interview via a Skype-like program the next day. They asked me about how i would handle particular situations and explained the way everything would work. They offered me a job immediately. Be aware, this is an independent contractor position.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a student that doesn't want to work or is unruly?   Answer Question
    I gave them a minimum amount of $20 an hour and they met it right away.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2014.

1: phone interview lasting about 15 minutes. was asked general info (education, tutoring experience, what subjects i want to tutor, etc.)
    2: scheduled "skype" interview the next day. the interviewer was incredibly kind and understanding. she asked harder math questions so we could bypass the elementary math courses. we talked in between questions about tutoring experiences and how i would handle different situations. really enjoyed this interview

Interview Questions
    • If a student is bringing you homework every day and not doing it because he/she realizes you will do it for him/her, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

ompany requires 1 month advance notice if you want to quit, you may not have students for a while depending on your circumstances

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2014.

The first interview with Varsity Tutors was over the phone. It lasted no longer than five minutes. The woman was calm and direct. I think she listened to what I had to say. There was nothing subject specific. She asked me:
    how I heard of them
    specifically what my availability was
    if I had a car and/or how I could get around
    the radius of travel
    experience tutoring
    what subjects I'd like to tutor most
    a story about my favorite experience teaching/tutoring

She seemed pleased with my answers, and said that she would input my answers to their questions into their system and that I would receive either a phone call or email in the next few days regarding a possible follow up interview, which from what I can tell is a video chat. I'll review that later.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were easy, the only one that took a moment of thought was the final one. I told her about a student who had to display publicly what he had learned and did well. (It was a piano performance for his church of a cover song I helped him write and sing to.)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in June 2014.

Found an ad listing on Craigslist, filled out application. Received a text message and email to schedule a phone interview just hours after I had filled out the application. Phone interview took place three days later (first available time they had)--which took about 20 minutes. Interviewer asked me about my availability, range at which I would be willing to drive for clients, experience with tutoring (which is super important), subjects I would be willing to tutor, etc. At the end of the phone interview the interviewer will let you know whether you qualify for a in person interview, which takes place over a video platform called zoom (pretty user friendly). I was able to schedule the in person interview for the next day.

They say the in person interview will take 1 hour, but it only took 20 minutes for me! After clarifying availability and driving range, the interviewer will give you a few questions in each subject material (screen sharing) that you can tutor and will ask you answer them. As long as you get about half of them right and EXPLAIN CLEARLY your reasoning and how you got the answer (don't just blurt out an answer after seconds of silence), you should be fine. Depending on how you do, the interviewer will give you a chance to ask questions about the company and will send an email with the contract and auto insurance forms to esign. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Even though I had taken a Human Anatomy and Physiology class in high school, the questions that the interviewer asked me to do were nothing I had ever seen before. So make sure to pick subjects that you did really well in high school or college (meaning B+/A- or higher)!   Answer Question
    $14/hour seems to be the flat rate in my area.

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Simple phone interview, asked about my availability and tutorial experience. Online interview was short since I only want to teach one subject. They let me did some questions based on the subject that I want to teach, and they asked what kind of teaching strategy I'd like to use.

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

The interview was literally like 5 minutes. They asked just simple questions like what my education experience was, how far I'm willing to travel, verifying subjects I want to teach, which age level I prefer, etc. There weren't any of the more open-ended questions for getting to know someone. It seems kind of random if they want you or not even if you have good experience.

Interview Questions

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!