Varsity Tutors

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in June 2014.

Interview Details – Found an ad listing on Craigslist, filled out application. Received a text message and email to schedule a phone interview just hours after I had filled out the application. Phone interview took place three days later (first available time they had)--which took about 20 minutes. Interviewer asked me about my availability, range at which I would be willing to drive for clients, experience with tutoring (which is super important), subjects I would be willing to tutor, etc. At the end of the phone interview the interviewer will let you know whether you qualify for a in person interview, which takes place over a video platform called zoom (pretty user friendly). I was able to schedule the in person interview for the next day.

They say the in person interview will take 1 hour, but it only took 20 minutes for me! After clarifying availability and driving range, the interviewer will give you a few questions in each subject material (screen sharing) that you can tutor and will ask you answer them. As long as you get about half of them right and EXPLAIN CLEARLY your reasoning and how you got the answer (don't just blurt out an answer after seconds of silence), you should be fine. Depending on how you do, the interviewer will give you a chance to ask questions about the company and will send an email with the contract and auto insurance forms to esign. Good luck!

Interview Question – Even though I had taken a Human Anatomy and Physiology class in high school, the questions that the interviewer asked me to do were nothing I had ever seen before. So make sure to pick subjects that you did really well in high school or college (meaning B+/A- or higher)!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – $14/hour seems to be the flat rate in my area.

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – Simple phone interview, asked about my availability and tutorial experience. Online interview was short since I only want to teach one subject. They let me did some questions based on the subject that I want to teach, and they asked what kind of teaching strategy I'd like to use.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – The interview was literally like 5 minutes. They asked just simple questions like what my education experience was, how far I'm willing to travel, verifying subjects I want to teach, which age level I prefer, etc. There weren't any of the more open-ended questions for getting to know someone. It seems kind of random if they want you or not even if you have good experience.

Interview Question – Do you need to review certain topics?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and I was contacted within 1 day by text message and e-mail notification to schedule a phone interview. I'm not sure why but the connection was very poor and I could barely understand my interviewer. I was really nervous so I didn't mention it - you absolutely should if this happens to you because it might make the difference in your case. The entire phone interview was under 15 minutes.

She asked basic questions, first about my availability, salary expectation, then she went through the subjects I requested and gave me specific questions (posted below). Finally she asked what subjects I'd prefer to tutor and what age groups. We scheduled an online interview and I was e-mailed the information.

The online interview lasted almost a full hour. I applied to teach many subjects and during the online interview I was emailed a document with questions for each of those major subject areas. I was asked to answer most of those questions. Some were strictly subject matter, multiple choice questions while others asked about the specifics of the standardized test such as time for each section and the way it is graded.

After we went through the documents, my interviewer said that she would submit her comments to the city director who makes the final hiring decision based on need.

Interview Questions

• Algebra question: What is the equation for the slope of a straight line?   View Answer
  • Trigonometry question: What are the 3 functions that define the ratio of a right triangle?   View Answer
  • Physics question: You have one ball traveling with a momentum of mv that collides with another of momentum mv. What is the total momentum after the collision?   View Answer
  • Biology question: what are the 4 nucleotide bases that make up DNA?   View Answer
  • Chemistry question: When the volume of a volume of an ideal gas increases, what happens to it's pressure?   View Answer

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2013.

Interview Details – At first, there was a phone interview. That was relatively easy, as they just wanted to see if you actually knew your material. Then there was the Skype interview with a regional director where I planned a lesson and fielded multiple questions that they asked. Afterwards, they sent me the relevant documents and background check.

Interview Question – Nothing really, tell me about yourself and what's the most difficult situation you ever dealt with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me how much I wanted in terms of salary. They told me that 25 is their starting rate, but I should've negotiated for higher.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and heard back right away. I took the time to write a pretty detailed "Why am I a good tutor" statement in the application and changed my resume to highlight my SAT and LSAT scores right at the top.

The phone interview was basically just to get more information and set up for a Skype interview.

The Skype interview was very quick. I was asked two SAT questions and two LSAT questions. I even got one LSAT question wrong but she still passed me.

Interview Question – What do you like to do in your spare time?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Set amount per hour based upon tutoring subject.

Tutor

I applied online and interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – I got asked to interview for the position of tutor, but during the interview go turned down due to lack of experience. The inteviewer was very friendly and kind, but such a technicality should have been spotter prior interviewing!

Interview Question – How far are you willing to travel?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – I was only asked one question during the phone interview,my teaching credentials. After my answer that was the end of the phone conversation and two days later i was rejected. I hold a Ph.D degree in microbiology and teaching assistant experience. So i have no idea why i didn't qualify.

Very Easy Interview

Tutor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – You take a quick test to make sure you know what you are doing. There is also a quick mock teaching section that asks you to teach your interviewer how to do a problem. If you have interviewed for a tutoring position before it is fairly standard. I met with my interviewer at a Starbucks, which was odd, but fit the nature of the business.

Interview Question – If you are knowledgeable in your subject area there should be no difficult questions. All questions are standard interview questions that you can look up online any where.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Varsity Tutors

Interview Details – Phone interview is really easy. they ask what your favorite subject is, your experience tutoring, etc. Skype interview is really relaxed too. you just have to give a lesson for a few problems. then you have to answer a few questions for each subject you want to study.

Interview Question – nothing hard   Answer Question

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!