Varsity Tutors

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and I was contacted within 1 day by text message and e-mail notification to schedule a phone interview. I'm not sure why but the connection was very poor and I could barely understand my interviewer. I was really nervous so I didn't mention it - you absolutely should if this happens to you because it might make the difference in your case. The entire phone interview was under 15 minutes.

She asked basic questions, first about my availability, salary expectation, then she went through the subjects I requested and gave me specific questions (posted below). Finally she asked what subjects I'd prefer to tutor and what age groups. We scheduled an online interview and I was e-mailed the information.

The online interview lasted almost a full hour. I applied to teach many subjects and during the online interview I was emailed a document with questions for each of those major subject areas. I was asked to answer most of those questions. Some were strictly subject matter, multiple choice questions while others asked about the specifics of the standardized test such as time for each section and the way it is graded.

After we went through the documents, my interviewer said that she would submit her comments to the city director who makes the final hiring decision based on need.

Interview Questions

• Algebra question: What is the equation for the slope of a straight line?   View Answer
  • Trigonometry question: What are the 3 functions that define the ratio of a right triangle?   View Answer
  • Physics question: You have one ball traveling with a momentum of mv that collides with another of momentum mv. What is the total momentum after the collision?   View Answer
  • Biology question: what are the 4 nucleotide bases that make up DNA?   View Answer
  • Chemistry question: When the volume of a volume of an ideal gas increases, what happens to it's pressure?   View Answer

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2013.

Interview Details – At first, there was a phone interview. That was relatively easy, as they just wanted to see if you actually knew your material. Then there was the Skype interview with a regional director where I planned a lesson and fielded multiple questions that they asked. Afterwards, they sent me the relevant documents and background check.

Interview Question – Nothing really, tell me about yourself and what's the most difficult situation you ever dealt with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me how much I wanted in terms of salary. They told me that 25 is their starting rate, but I should've negotiated for higher.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and heard back right away. I took the time to write a pretty detailed "Why am I a good tutor" statement in the application and changed my resume to highlight my SAT and LSAT scores right at the top.

The phone interview was basically just to get more information and set up for a Skype interview.

The Skype interview was very quick. I was asked two SAT questions and two LSAT questions. I even got one LSAT question wrong but she still passed me.

Interview Question – What do you like to do in your spare time?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Set amount per hour based upon tutoring subject.

Tutor

I applied online and interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – I got asked to interview for the position of tutor, but during the interview go turned down due to lack of experience. The inteviewer was very friendly and kind, but such a technicality should have been spotter prior interviewing!

Interview Question – How far are you willing to travel?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – I was only asked one question during the phone interview,my teaching credentials. After my answer that was the end of the phone conversation and two days later i was rejected. I hold a Ph.D degree in microbiology and teaching assistant experience. So i have no idea why i didn't qualify.

Very Easy Interview

Tutor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – You take a quick test to make sure you know what you are doing. There is also a quick mock teaching section that asks you to teach your interviewer how to do a problem. If you have interviewed for a tutoring position before it is fairly standard. I met with my interviewer at a Starbucks, which was odd, but fit the nature of the business.

Interview Question – If you are knowledgeable in your subject area there should be no difficult questions. All questions are standard interview questions that you can look up online any where.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Varsity Tutors

Interview Details – Phone interview is really easy. they ask what your favorite subject is, your experience tutoring, etc. Skype interview is really relaxed too. you just have to give a lesson for a few problems. then you have to answer a few questions for each subject you want to study.

Interview Question – nothing hard   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through the website, got immediate feedback (within 24 hrs). Went through a phone screening where I was asked about my academic credentials as well as previous experience with tutoring. It was pretty standard and straight forward. A follow up Skype interview took place where I was tested on the areas I wanted to tutor in.

Interview Question – There are no curve balls. It is pretty standard from my experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was told my rate based on my credentials and experience. No room for negotiation.

Tutor Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted a few days later to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was short, standard questions and some short questions in the end about the subjects you wanted to tutor (ex: derivative of x^2). Skype interview was scheduled a week later. The lady asked similar questions and sent me some test to do while she observed and took notes. The questions were multiple choice, not hard, just remember to freshen up on the subjects you want to tutor.

Very Easy Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Varsity Tutors in May 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out the application form online and then got an email and a call later. She asked a couple of math questions because I wanted to tutor math but they were ridiculously easy like "What is the derivative of X^2". That being said they wanted to interview a second time by Skype as well after the phone interview.

Interview Question – As the limit of x goes to infinity, what is 100/(10x^3). She worded it weird so I had to have her repeat it like three times.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Got another internship

Interviews for Top Jobs at Varsity Tutors

Worked for Varsity Tutors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Varsity Tutors Tutor interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Varsity Tutors employees and interview candidates.