Varsity Tutors Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Easy! Phone interview asked simple question about availability, transportation, etc. Pretty much what everyone said. Video interview was about an hour and tested your knowledge of subjects, ability to teach them, and personal questions. Communicate effectively if you want the job!

Interview Questions

• What ages do you prefer to tutor?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Varsity Tutors

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in August 2015.

Interview

The interviewer was pleasant and jumped right into asking me questions. It would have been helpful to have gotten an overview of how the company operated and how it worked to be a Tutor. I had to ask all of that. Sometimes interviewers forget that we are interviewing them as well. I was also caught off guard when she stated what the salary would be $15/hr. This of course is the minimum and is not in line with what I've seen as the average pay on Glassdoor. She wanted me to agree to that right away. I did not appreciate that since she hadn't asked much about me or my experiences yet. Nor had she done the assessment test and mock interview. That tells me that this offer was not bases on my qualifications. I get it, they want to make tutoring session. But, I expect my wage to be commensurate with my qualifications and the market. So, although, Varsity Tutors has a good reputation, there are many other companies that do too. I will do a thorough search of the competition and see what they have to offer. That said, it is not all about money, it certainly isn't. I'll weigh my options and ask for more pay and go from there. I believe this salary tactic is effective much of the time, but I also find it disrespectful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY).

Interview

After I applied for the position i received an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was very brief. After the phone interview I received another email to set up an online interview. Something came up which made me accidentally forget about the interview. I received a phone call from them shortly after my scheduled interview time, informing me about the interview. They were very accommodating, the woman on the phone asked me if I was still able to participate within the online interview, which I was not. The lady on the phone understood and allowed me to reschedule my interview, which I happily did. When it was time for my interview we were having technical difficulties. I couldn't believe that all of this was happening! The woman who was trying to interview me had her technical support staff call me to tell me to complete some trouble shooting techniques, which worked. I was apologetic for everything and she was very friendly and understanding; She then proceeded to conduct the interview.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The phone interview was very brief. It consisted mostly of talking about availability, the subjects you tutor, and some subject questions. Then, you can move on to a video interview that lasts about an hour during which you answer more subject questions and demonstrate your teaching style. I liked it because they didn't ask you any useless questions that you often need to deal with at other job interviews, like "what is one of your failures," etc.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your accomplishments?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY).

Interview

Fairly straightforward process. There's a 15-20 min phone interview first, which is mostly casuals and informational. The interviewer may ask a few quick questions about the material you want to teach. After the phone interview, I set up an online interview the following week. This consisted of more informational questions, as well as a short mock-teaching section.

Interview Questions

• If the diameter of a circle doubles, what happens to the area?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Very quick and well organized, I spoke with someone on the phone and then was immediately offered to move on to the next stage of interviews, which was basically via Skype. During this interview, I was tested on my knowledge of the subjects I wished to tutor.

Interview Questions

• How would you help a third grader work through an essay prompt?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

This was a preliminary interview with logistic and behavioral questions. It was pleasant. I was asked about my background, interests, tutoring experience, etc. After this interview, I moved on to a second interview which focuses on simulating tutoring.

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Tucson, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

Online video submission and written responses. There was an option for a phone interview for the preliminary questioning and a later 1:1 video session. The interview process is remote in any case.

Interview Questions

• What subjects are your strengths weaknesses? Why do you want this job? Do you have previous experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

There were two phone interviews. Both people that I spoke with were very friendly and welcoming. It was a positive experience. For my second interview, we role played that I was a tutor and the interviewer was the student struggling academically. I explained concepts to questions. This role play was done over Skype video.

Interview Questions

• Describe your background in education (teaching or tutoring).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone. The interview time was scheduled over the internet. It was very brief. The interviewer simply collected information regarding your credentials. The second was also scheduled over the phone and interview was about 1 hour or so and it was over the video chat. Before that time, you were expected to turn in your test scores and to take some subject tests. During the interview, ou are introduced to their online tutoring platform and expected to solve and teach questions from various subjects on the fly.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to solve some questions in Algebra, Chemistry and Biology. They also asked what I like doing.   Answer Question