Vecna Technologies

Very Easy Interview

Quality Technician Interview

Quality Technician
Woburn, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Vecna Technologies.

Interview Details – I initially applied for a position at Vecna on April 18th 2014. I then was contacted by Vecna on April 28th inquiring about me coming in for an interview. I replied almost immediately with my availability of the following week. They didn't return my email for two weeks. Eventually they were able to reply and set up a time to come in. I came in and met with the Quality Engineer I would be working under and then the manager. Both seemed unprepared for my interview. Neither had a copy of my resume on hand. The interview came and went and I sent them a follow up email as you do after an interview. A few weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything from them so I figured I would send them an email asking. I sent the email, no reply. I sent another email a week later, they said they would like to bring me in for another interview. That interview came and went, I followed up a week or so later asking for an update. Naturally there was no reply for a while. Another email. Then they replied asking for references and to write this absurd "Integrity Essay" which, by the way, Vecna should have to write themselves. And I did. I wrote it and replied, with my references, the following day.
I didn't get any sort of email for a few weeks. I sent them yet another email! Then they emailed me asking to bring me in for another interview and asked me for my availability over the next week. So, I replied and gave them my availability over the next week. They didn't even reply to my email over the course of that next week. I sent them one final email to which they replied to and asked for my availability over the NEXT week. At this time, I had received a job offer from another company that actually got back to people in a timely manner.

So, if you like being strung along for roughly 3.5 months, who knows how much longer it could have gone on for, Vecna is the company for you.

Interview Question – Nothing was too challenging in the actual interview - it was just difficult to actually get them to communicate about planning the interview.   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Software Test Engineer
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Vecna Technologies in May 2012.

Interview Details – I had applied to Vecna for a job posting directly. Then received a call scheduling a phone screening. After the phone screening, went through an onsite interview. Within 1-2 weeks, got the confirmation and offer letter.

Negotiation Details – Obviously, if you ask for $70,000, the HR will call you offering $60000. But ask them for higher and make it at least $65000

QA Tester Interview

QA Tester
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vecna Technologies.

Interview Details – Interview wasn't tough. they asked mostly about project that i worked in previous jobs. overall it was 45 mins interview with 2 people in the interview room. got the offer 1 week later.

Software Engineering Internship Interview

Software Engineering Internship

I applied online and interviewed at Vecna Technologies.

Interview Details – I applied and a few weeks later I received an email with information about an online aptitude test. I attempted to complete the examination, but the applet had not been updated to meet Java security standards and was blocked.
I attempted to contact the hiring manager regarding the technical issues, but received an automated email thanking me for my application.
I never heard back about resolving the problems with accessing the test, and received a rejection email a few weeks later.

Interview Question – The test did not work, thus I was unable to access any questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Vecna Technologies in March 2014.

Interview Details – Normally for candidates to get an in-person interview, you apply online, and then receive a Java exercise to complete and submit. If you meet them at a career fair, like in my case, they skip this step and go straight to the on-site interview. I loved the vibe of the place, everybody seemed very laid back and ready to help each other. Formalities were replaced by a very at-home comfortable feeling.

Interview Question – For me, I just wasn't too proficient with Java, so I was asked to analyze an example of Java code, and then comment on how I would make it better   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Technical Support Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Vecna Technologies.

Interview Details – Communications were pretty prolonged, entire process took about 2 months from my initial application and communication was intermittent so it was difficult to tell at times if they were still interested. They were genuinely warm and welcoming though the times that I came in for an interview (3 times)

First time was a series of back to back interviews with members of the team, I was asked a few basic linux questions to determine if I was confident in using the shell in linux and I was asked questions regarding how I would deal with a customer over the phone.

Second interview was done in a group setting. This meant that several candidates all came in at the same time and we then did separate interviews with more members of the IT team. (This seemed to be a strategy to be efficient with the team's time we never were interviewed together it was always 1 on 1)

Third time is the "executive interview" this isn't an interview "per say" it is really their process of making you an offer from what I gathered. You get to meet the founder (Very neat guy) and he tells you about the policies of the company.

Interview Question – 1. What command would you search a file in linux?
2. What does 667 permissions mean?
3. How could you have read/write access to a folder but not be able to enter it?
  View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not willing to negotiate salary, another company made me an offer that was significantly greater monetarily.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vecna Technologies.

Interview Details – applied online -> wait a week -> take online java test -> wait 2 weeks -> phone interview -> wait an hour -> no offer

the phone interviewer asked three questions: 1. who are you? 2. why vecna? and 3. (question below).
the interviewer was only interested in the 3rd question.

It felt like that they didn't really have open positions but interview people anyway in the hopes of finding top talent.

It also felt like the interviewer didn't really want to talk to me. It was as if talking to me was an unwanted interruption in his busy day.

Interview Question – generate unique random numbers   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Vecna Technologies.

Interview Details – In person interview with three people.

Interview Question – Code binary sort...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One round of negotiations with recruiter.

Project Manager/Trainer Interview

Project Manager/Trainer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Vecna Technologies.

Interview Details – Received an email within a day scheduling a phone interview within a week. The interviewer called 15 minutes late, but the interview was quick (~10mins) and he informed me he was sold on hiring me & would move it up the chain. A few days later I received an email inviting me to an onsite interview in Cambridge, but they recanted on this when the recruiter realized that I did not live in the Boston area (though this information was apparent in my resume and application).

This is where things took an odd turn when I was contacted by their VP of International (according to the Vecna website) informing me that they wanted to hire me, but weren't able to at the time. He connected me with a contracting firm which they were working with, and promised that they would bring me on as an independent contractor. After a week of no followup, a Director from Vecna emailed me to try to schedule me into a training they were having in a few weeks, and expressed confidence that they would bring me on either through this contracting firm, or directly. Shortly after this I got another email from the VP, Mike Bearman, which was followed by another phone interview and an offer the next week.

I felt somewhat jerked around by the experience as the company seemed to lack structure and professionalism and hinted at an environment similar to the one I purposefully left at my previous employer. This later factored into my refusal of their offer.

Interview Question – The interviews were very straight forward, no surprise questions...   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer came for the position of "Trainer" without any project management aspects, and was lower than what I was willing to accept given the circumstances. I countered, and they came up $5000, but the 75%+ travel and "Trainer" position could not be justified by the salary without offering the challenge and career development the position I had initially applied for would have.

Industrial Designer Interview

Industrial Designer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vecna Technologies.

Interview Details – an especially slow process. after sending in my resume, i was told that they would schedule a phone interview in the next week. two and half weeks later i wrote back and asked about it. they said it's summer and we'll just skip the phone interview and just have you come in. the actual interview was good. then they took a long time to get back to me...

Interview Question – the difficult question was typical and not unexpected. the question was was the corollary to what is your greatest strength; what is your biggest weakness. what a lame question, really. how do you answer that? with the truth? yeah, right. my biggest weakness is really not your business not will it be. does this one have to be 50 words minimum as well? let's see if i post a bunch of random stuff in here...guess not   Answer Question

Worked for Vecna Technologies? Contribute to the Community!