Venmo

Updated Oct 4, 2014
Updated Oct 4, 2014

2.9

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Venmo in May 2014.

Had a pleasant phone interview with an Engineer and then they asked me to do a programming project. Project was pretty simple but they decided not to move forward after seeing my implementation. When I asked for feedback a recruiter read some notes one of their engineers had written down, but because the recruiter didn't seem to understand the notes, he couldn't answer any questions in depth. When I asked to see an example of a well designed implementation, they refused.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Venmo in March 2014.

Had a phone interview, was not particularly difficult. Asked about the classes I'd taken/was taking at school, and my experiences with that. Also asked about my extracurricular activities. Then asked two or three fairly simple coding questions. Finished off by asking me if I had questions about the company. Wasn't a bad interview, wish I'd been more prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Was surprised when they asked me about my extracurriculars   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Venmo.

I submitted a resume directly through their website and was contacted back within a week. My first interview was non-technical and then (a week later) a technical interview. The technical interview consisted of me and my interviewer coding on a code-sharing website. Mostly "fun" interviewing questions like string manipulation - nothing unexpected.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Venmo in October 2013.

The interview process had 3 stages: programming challenge, 1hour phone interview, and a full-day on-site interview with the team which included some pair programming and design discussions.

I felt Venmo's interview was not tricky or difficult but intelligent!

For example, the programming challenge was straight forward and no specific language was required, but since there are many ways of writing software for a simple problem and I felt this was how Venmo evaluate your skill level and maturity as a sw developer.

Similarly, for the phone and on-site interview, the Venmo team took the approach of having a technical conversation with you, either in the context of designing an application or musing about sw languages, design, and methodologies. I felt this was a smart way to evaluate a candidate's depth and breadth of knowledge, compare to other companies that ask "tricky" questions just to see if you know some nifty methods in Ruby Array class.

The team at Venmo seemed genuinely enthusiastic and interested in software. Their engineers could go on musing and discussing about a particular topic even after you've answered the interview question. Again this is a contrast with other companies, where the interviewer seems uninterested and is only asking for the sake of the interview.

Overall, I felt the software team at Venmo is of a high caliber.

Summer Internship Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Venmo in February 2013.

Interview consisted of interviewer discussing the code of a project I made for iOS and a technical question about reversing a linked list.

Software Engineering Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Venmo in February 2012.

I spoke with someone on the phone for about 10-15 minutes - just a generic phonescreen, why venmo, what are you interested in, etc. They called me in for a technical interview after that. I went to their offices and has 3 back to back interviews with 3 difference engineers (note: they were all wearing t-shirts and jeans). The first didn't ask for any coding, just deeper discussion of projects and interests and questions like "hardest bug you've faced and why." The second asked me what sort algorithms I knew best then asked me to code one on the back of my resume (pen and paper) and then analyze the big-O complexity. The third didn't ask as many questions, but put on me on a whiteboard and asked me to write an algorithm for Minimum Edit Distance (levenshtein distance).

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Venmo in February 2014.

I applied through their website and was swiftly contacted. An initial interview was scheduled with a software engineer on the team which was non technical and had me talk about my previous experience, interest in the company and some friendly banter about their technical challenges.

Next up was a coding challenge to implement a small program with clear requirements which was a lot of fun to implement.

Afterwards I had an interview with the Engineering Manager who started off with a small coding challenge through a code sharing website. I wasn't prepared for a coding test, however small, and performed weakly. Afterwards some more talk about my experience and interest in the company.

Interview Questions
    • A small coding challenge at the beginning of the last interview which I wasn't expecting. I had a brainfart and struggled through it   Answer Question