Vera Institute Of Justice

Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Vera Institute Of Justice

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice.

Lengthy process that spanned over months, including phone and face to face interviews. Ask the standard questions, such as 'what interested you about the position?' 'why do you want to work for them?' 'what can you contribute?', etc.

They seemed less prepared for questions about their research.

I also found it odd that I was told that I could ask questions, but not 'too many'. I'm not sure what the quota on questions was.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions but found it uncomfortable that they permitted someone to eaves drop on my phone conversation with the interviewer. The person interrupted during the interview to ask a question and was quickly shushed. Apparently I wasn't meant to know they were listening. Not sure why it wasn't made transparent that there was more than one person conducting the phone interview. Or why I was told that the reason I was on speaker phone was so that the interviewer could take notes rather than than the truth, that the interview was to be conducted by more than one person. Very odd, indeed.   Answer Question

Public Policy Intern Interview

Normal Interview, asking about why I was interested in Vera, my strengths and weaknesses, why I was interested in criminal justice

Interview Questions
    • What are 3 words that you would use to describe yourself   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice in November 2012.

Received email telling me I needed to interview. Casual interview on the phone. They asked me about my resume and why I was applying for the position. Also asked me to expand on the writing sample I submitted and so I gave them the details. The interview was more informational than anything

There was no negotiation

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vera Institute Of Justice in February 2010.

I had a phone interview first with a few questions about my experience. Then I was called in for an in person interview that lasted 5 hours. I met with 5 different people some together some separate and they asked a lot of the same basic interview questions.

The supervisor I interviewed with called my current employer to check my references without giving me notice that he was doing so which was awkward. He also insisted that I start and move within two weeks when there was no immediate need for me to start.

Interview Questions
    • Why are there so many black people in jail?   View Answer
    I should have negotiated more!