Veracyte

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Veracyte.

I applied online and received an e-mail from an HR rep almost two weeks later to arrange a phone interview. It took about fifteen minutes and I was asked about my previous work experience and interest in the company. After "passing" the phone screening I was invited to interview onsite in another week and a half. This interview consisted of three separate interviews and a lab tour, one with the entire fifteen person clinical lab team, one with the hiring manager, and one with the HR rep.

The first interview was very strange. I had to meet fifteen potential co-workers and repeat the "tell us about yourself" spiel four or five times as they slowly made their way in to the conference room. I was very overdressed for the interview; one of the interviewees was wearing sweatpants. There were sandwiches provided for everyone, but I was talking the entire time and could not eat, nor did I have any appetite or desire to have fifteen people watch me eating a sandwich. I ended up throwing 3/4 of it away and still don't know what would have come across as more of a faux pas: being that wasteful or wrapping it up and taking it home in my purse. I was then given a tour of the lab. Everyone was very nice, but seemed more interested in my personality than actual lab skills.

I then had a meeting with the hiring manager who was very kind and did most of the talking. She did not ask about any of my lab skills either, but somehow got the impression I would be interested in marketing (??) and would "find my heart" if I got hired there.

Finally, I met with the HR rep. She asked me how the whole process had been and wanted to know if I had any more questions or concerns. I was about out of questions after having come up with as many as I could over the past two hours. The whole process was fairly exhausting.

After another week and a half, I received an e-mail from the HR rep saying they had decided not to move forward to the next steps, which would have involved another round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • "What are your intrinsic motivators?"   Answer Question
    • "Give us an example of a time when you solved a problem in a unique or unusual way"   Answer Question