Verizon Database Administrator Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Verizon in June 2009.

I found the listing on Verizon's website for Entry-level technology positions ranging from programmers and engineers to database administrators. I applied and within a week was emailed that I was selected for the interview. My interview was scheduled for about 2 weeks later. Upon arriving at the interview location, there were about 30 other candidates in the room with refreshments and a couple of HR reps. The HR reps gave a brief overview of the company and explained to us how the interview was going to go. There were 9 hiring managers in an adjacent conference room. A group of 9 will go and select a manager to interview with. We had about 5 minutes with the manager to interview and left them with my resume. Then the next group of 9 went in to interview. It was basically like speed dating. We were able to see about 3 managers during the 2 hour time frame. A couple of the managers I talked to just basically gave a quiz to see where my technical skills were at. I didn't pass (lol) as the skills they were looking for were not my skill set.
After each group of interviewees left, the managers would swap and compare resumes looking for specific skills. And if they liked your resume, they asked you to stay afterwards for more time to chat. The manager who liked my resume started the paperwork immediately with HR to get me hired. The next week, I met with him and my would-be direct supervisor for a 1:1 interview. There was no negotiating the salary, but it was much more than I was anticipating anyway. It was about a month from initial interview to my start date. Majority of that time was the manager trying to get everything approved with HR.
I had never been on an interview like that before, so I initially had no idea what was going on. The building was easy to find and would also be where I work out of. Some of the managers are really personable and easy to talk to. The others are all technical and only care about the work.

Interview Questions