Verizon Telematics

3.2

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  La Jolla, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Verizon Telematics in May 2014.

Interview process:
    I had a one hour long phone interview with the manager of the QA department. She was nice on the phone and asked questions like "how many rest stops are there between here and NY?" "What's your favorite bug?" "What do you rate your SQL skills as?"

Then I went in for an on-site interview:
    I took a Gallup Strengths Finder test which is supposed to identify your personality strengths. It was very boring and I started blazing through it without much thought towards the end.

The on-site consisted of meeting with a panel of three QA Engineers. That was followed by another panel interview of three QA individuals. They asked me questions like "how would you test this conference phone?" "How would you handle difficulties with a developer that doesn't want to believe that a bug exists?" "What tools are you familiar with?" "What would you do if there is a bug that isn't reproducible or intermittent?"

During the panel interview, I was asked to do a whiteboard exercise. I had to write all the scenarios for testing a smart kitchen. I made a list of every edge case there was. I filled the white board up where there was barely any room left. I did well on this exercise.

Then I interviewed with a panel of three developers + 1 QA:
    I got questions like "What would you do if a bug is not reproducible?" "How would you test the interaction between a client, server, and database?" "what is the most important piece in the three?" "What's your favorite bug?" "What is an inner join?" "What is a left outer join?" "What would you describe the Agile process as?" Very general questions which you would find at any interview. "Define the various testing methods?"

Interview Questions
    • Some of the SQL questions were out of left field because it was on a whiteboard with no table drawn out in front of you. Not like anything you would deal with in real life scenarios.   Answer Question

I wouldn't work for this company based on the stringent hiring process and overall rude/arrogant QA department. The developers were lovely but the QA team was unprofessional.

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Verizon Telematics in December 2011.

Asked to explain experience with SDLC process, Agile practices and challenges on previous projects.

Interview Questions
    • All questions asked were typical and were based on industry standard.   Answer Question
    Easy, at that time the range was pretty open based on experience. It is very different now that Verizon acquired the company, salaries I hear are much lower.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Verizon Telematics.

3 level interviewing process. 1 - 30 min telephone interview w/ internal recruiter - 2 - 30 min telephone interview w/ hiring manager - 3 - interview w/ several executives of the team

Interview Questions
    • no really unexpected questions: How would you market the product? How would you price the product? etc.   Answer Question
    offer was better than expected and accepted as it was

Call Center Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Verizon Telematics in January 2012.

Applied through Linkedin - interviewed within 2 weeks. The interview was with 5 supervisors/managers.

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult questions. The questions were more job skills and personality related.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Verizon Telematics in January 2011.

I was contacted by HR though email and I setup a interview a few days later. My interview was a panel interview consisting of managers and current full time employees. A very detailed interview asking extensive questions about principle engineering concepts (Programming C++, C#, embedded C, hardware circuit design, digital signal processing, biomedical, digital filter design). Some of the questions had no relation to what the company actually does which was a little strange. Be ready for logic questions and make sure you attempt to answer every single one of them because thought process is important.

Interview Questions
    • How would you program a function check if a phone number has been correctly dialed?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Verizon Telematics in June 2011.

Met with 8 people in one day over 4+ hours- I think almost everyone of importance in the company. The interview process was LONG. I should have known something was up when the 1st person who interviewed me handed me his card as soon as he walked in the room and said. "They usually don't let me talk to people, here is my card- you can email me in a few weeks to find out why they really didn't hire you." SERIOUSLY- that was the 1st thing he said to me. I thought he was joking but apparently not- they talked a lot about CULTURAL FIT- I guess I wasn't the right CULTURE. I rate this as difficult- not because of the questions asked- but because of the stamina required to have Four 45+ minute interviews with 2 people in each session - and that was after 3 phone interviews that were about 45 minutes each

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Verizon Telematics in June 2011.

I was initially contacted by an internal recruiter a few days after applying to an advertisement on Indeed.com. First phone interview with the recruiter touched on my background and desire to relocate to Atlanta, GA for this opportunity (however no mention that they would be unable to provide assistance if I ended up accepting an offer?). I explained that I was interested in the location as some family members currently reside in the Atlanta area. A week later I had a second phone interview with the hiring manager, which went well and after one more week I was invited to fly in for a day of interviewing as I was not a local candidate. The onsite interviews consisted of a group activity, tour of the office and two one-on-one interviews (HR and hiring manager).

My last interview of the day was with the HR leader who candidly informed me that there were no relocation benefits available for the position and asked if I were still interested? I said that there is still interest on my side but upon reflection I would not have accepted the offer as that tells me a lot about this company from a financial aspect and how financially I would not be rewarded after joining. In addition, while touring their offices I did not see a lot of smiling faces (red flag!). So, it turned out to be a waste of time for both parties considering proper vetting was not conducted around their inability to offer relocation assistance at the initial phone screen.

There was also no follow-up from this company after the interview. I had to find out on my own after the job had been refreshed on the Internet a couple weeks later. Very lame.

Interview Questions
    • HR leader reverted to typical interview questions around strengths, weaknesses, accomplishments, etc. with the main objective to simply ride out the clock so I could be sent on my way back home.   Answer Question

Worked for Verizon Telematics? Contribute to the Community!