Verizon Wireless Business Account Executive Interview Questions & Reviews

13 interviews

3.2

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Account Executive Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Verizon Wireless.

The experience may vary for each person but for me, since I was already employed at Verizon Wireless, interviewing for the Account Executive position came easy to me because I already knew what to expect. It's my understanding now, having talked with those who were recently hired for the position that it is quite a grueling process. I only had to do 1 interview but someone from the outside has to go through 3 or 4 interviews---1st is the phone interview with HR, 2nd is interview with the Business Sales Manager, 3rd is interview with Associate Director, and 4th (or could also happen during your 3rd) is to do a sales presentation to a fictitious company where you role play with the BSM and AD.

I feel bad for those who apply from the outside because VZW is very political and it's all about who you know. That being said, most Account Executive positions you apply for are already spoken for with someone internal. Now if you happen to know one of the hiring managers then you're most likely a shoe in for the position.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you had to think outside the box in order to close a sale?   View Answer
  • Why should we hire you?   View Answer
  • Be prepared for a random question such as "You see this pen? Sell it to me right now. Why should I buy this pen from you when I can get it cheaper from somewhere else?

**They won't always use a pen as an example. They've also used a box of tissues, a notebook, etc.**
      View Answer
  • Tell me about a time when you did not get the sale (or win the business)? What did you do and why?   Answer Question
  • When is it acceptable to ask for the sale?   View Answer
I read about how people have negotiated their salaries and had success in doing so, however, I can tell you that I've never seen or heard of anyone who's had success in negotiating a better salary at VZW.
Consider VZW the hottest girl in town and they have tons of people (especially recent college grads) who want to date them. If you don't accept the offer right away, they know they can move on to someone else who will accept a ridiculously low base salary because they are desperate for a job.

Other Interview Reviews for Verizon Wireless

Business Account Executive Interview

Want to know accomplishments in past positions- Productivity, Sales Dollars etc.go thru HR screener, then get interview appt with hiring manager. usually they like to do everything on the phone except for final interview.

Interview Questions
    • normal questions.. why did you leave that job, why do you want to leave your current job, why do you want to work for Verizon, what makes you qualified   Answer Question

Business Account Executive Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Verizon Wireless.

I was interviewed by the Business Sales Manager (direct manager) and the Associate Director (BSM's manager). Typical sales related questions, comfort level with cold calling and foot prospecting. Technology knowledge a must, especially with wireless. Strong communication skills needed, especially considering you will be speaking with many C-level/decision makers in this position.

You may be able to negotiate base, based on experience. The goal is obviously to knock your commissions out of the park.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Verizon Wireless in February 2012.

Star interview process, as well as Role plays and a presentation on a selected product/solution, provided prior to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult or demanding expectation from Verizon that you've experienced in the last year, and your honest thoughts positive or negative regarding that particular project.   Answer Question
    Was not able to negotiate any additional salary as I did not have my BA. Also unable to negotiate additional vacation time.

Business Account Executive Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Verizon Wireless.

Phone interview, In person interview with hiring manager, interview with hiring manager's director and then HR call. This was a standard, easy process. Asking about prior positions, walk through resume and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    I was presented an offer. I attempted to counter but was told this was non-negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Verizon Wireless in June 2009.

Hiring managers are looking for hungry, money-driven individuals. "Do what it takes to get the job done" attitudes.

Knowledge of wireless industry isn't necessary for this entry level position. More importantly they are looking for solution selling skills and people who can meet quotas.

This is a tough, cold-calling sales job.

Interview Questions
    Little negotiation at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Verizon Wireless in July 2010.

First interview was over the phone with a very nice recruiting manager somewhere in South Carolina, I believe. That interview led me to an interview with the hiring manager, in person. The hiring manager brought in two other people into the interview for additional feedback. I went fully prepared. Since it is a sales position, you have to make sure to ask for the job at the end of the interview. It is expected. So I did. Don't expect a commitment there. A phone call/email from the HR hiring manager followed. By the time you get to HR, you're almost in. You've been pre-approved by the hiring manager(s) and they are just making sure you pass the HR interview. You're asked the typical sales scenarios. Go into your successes. Make sure you know the technology. Ask real questions. Be yourself. The company likes that. Read their Credo. You may get interviewed by more than one hiring manager, depending on the openings. So, be patient. This is a good company, so hang in there. It is worth it, especially if you hit it off with your future manager.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall any difficult or unexpected questions. I went fully prepared. Make sure you read everything you can about Verizon Wireless, their history, their future plans. I went in 6 months before the implementation of LTE. I had read up on all that technology and its competition. When they asked me what that stood for and what it meant, I explained it the way I would have done to a customer. I cannot over stress, be prepared. If you love technology and mobility, and people, this is the right job. It's a great company with great career potential.   Answer Question
    I'm a terrible salary negotiator. So, I can't give you advice on that. Usually these entry level sales jobs have one pre-set salary. You prove your worth in your performance and in your commission. Once you're in and prove yourself, then you can negotiate your way to the top as you get promoted into other positions. I mean that. I've seen it.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Verizon Wireless in April 2012.

My initial interview was with the manager of Human Relations Recruiting. My second interview was with the managers of the Verizon Wireless San Francisco Office. Both were phone interviews.

During the first interview, i was asked general employment questions and was asked to give reasons why I might fit the position I was applying for.

On the second interview, I was asked more job specific questions such as how I have handled certain sales situations in my prior sales experience and how I might see myself generating new business for Verizon Wireless. Prior to my second interview, I went to the Verizon Wireless website and "boned up" on products and services that they offered. During my interview with them, I integrated my answers with the facts I aquired learning about their products and services. The interviewer complimented me on "doing my homework" prior to out talk. I thought the interview went well.

Recently, I was informed by Verizon Wireless that the first position I applied for had been filled by a applicant that was more qualified. A second email informed me that the other position I applied for was currently not available, but encouraged me to check the Verizon Website for other positions. I plan to do so.

Interview Questions
    • Why I thought I was qualified for the position applied for.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Verizon Wireless in August 2010.

An initial phone screen interview with contract recruiter led to initial phone screen interview with Verizon Wireless hiring manager which led to initial face-to-face interview with same hiring manager. This led to two additional face-to-face interviews with the hiring manager and two different area sales directors. This led to another phone interview with the area Sales Engineering Manager, and then another phone interview with another area sales director. Finally, I was scheduled to interview with the western region sales director; however, this interview did not end up happening.

The Verizon Wireless people I met with were focused and dedicated, and the culture seemed challenging and somewhat intense. The office in San Jose could use a little updating.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with an angry customer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Verizon Wireless in February 2009.

The interview process is very structured. It starts off with a phone interview with HR. This one is a bit more easy going. Surprisingly, HR is a bit more conversational. They will ask about past employers, and will want stories of success. The one on one interview is very structured. Be prepared with a business plan. Meaning some idea of what you plan to do at 30-60-90 days. They will ask 4-5, "tell me about a time when you turned a lost customer.... blah blah." They call is STAR questions. Situation, Task, Action, Result.

Interview Questions
    No ability to negotiate. I was told that directly.

Worked for Verizon Wireless? Contribute to the Community!